Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

Bobby, beautiful reharm! and thanks for the positive feedback.

16251, for my reharm the approach for the first tune and second tune of the medley were very different. For the first tune I decided to keep the melody in tact and vary the harmony. Rather than random chords I envisioned specific bass movement (i.e., chromatic descending and parallel with the melody are most prominently used). It was more like composing than improvising. After the mood of the first tune I felt the need to add some rhythm/groove so I played an F7 to Gbmaj7 vamp. A distorted version of the melody of the second tune just fit in over the vamp right away without any advanced thinking. So, the second tune was done by feel and ear. I hope this makes sense.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a little something I did with "Like someone in love" a while ago. I remember that I was really into the great Richie Beirach playing at that time:)

I actually found the original full score the other day and will happily share it if anyone is interested in the chords and voicings I used:)

PS! Stop the player after the songs over, or youll get John Legend blasting through your sepakers. Cant seem to find a way of turning off that damn autoplaylits crap. Oh, well.

Okay I got inspired by this thread and took a little time this AM to come up with a contribution. Here's 'Away In A Manger'

Away In A Manger Reharm

:like: I want more! :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks guys!! I hope I did this right: http://docdro.id/d9ounIT

That should link to a PDF of the arrangement. BUT, I forgot that it was handwritten and not complete:( But I hope you guys are able to get something from it anyway:) Sorry about that!

I`m sorry to hear that about Beirach! Hes been a huge inspiration for and I really love his playing and harmonic approaches!

Wow, the reharm room lives again!

Great contributions from Bob, Al and thatdude. And Dave, you know how much I love your piano miniatures. The harmony, phrasing and touch are just perfect.

I'm not playing much these days, so there's little I can contribute... but I have found this little video from about three years ago, and I have uploaded it on YouTube. It's a fragment from something I did for school, comparing the reharmonization of Cole Porter's "What is this thing called love" which I have played for many years, with the more modern one which I have played in recent years.

Generally speaking, the first one could be called a late Bill Evans style, while the latter is more influenced by younger players like Brad Mehldau.

Audio is horrible... a *bad*, out of tune upright, recorded with the camera mic in a small, very reflective room. Urgh.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpi1TOcLUYY&feature=youtu.be

reharmonization of Cole Porter's "What is this thing called love" , while the latter is more influenced by younger players like Brad Mehldau.

Audio is horrible... a *bad*, out of tune upright, recorded with the camera mic in a small, very reflective room. Urgh.

I really liked that Carlo. The LH obstinate figure you start with and then RH chords you played against it. The pedal on the verse on and the bridge were nice along with the resolution. Very inventive and great alternate chords.

In spite of the piano you could still tell it was very cool sounding. Due greatly to your masterful technique. Great to see you too, as well as hear you. :thu:

You're really too kind, Dave... it takes a really good pair of ears to make sense of that sonic mess. Not just the piano, but the room, the mic... everything was wrong in that clip. It was just a test recording for an instructional thing.

That reharm of "What is This Thing" is obviously based on pedals, trying to find a balance between movement and staticity (is that a word?), and between tension/dissonance and release.

I would have liked to do something just to celebrate the rebirth of the RR... but I'm not in great shape these days, pianistically and otherwise. That's why I retrieved that old fragment.

About seeing me... ha. I just can't do it myself... :freak: Trying to lose weight right now.

Thank you so much guys! Yes, I´m a bit of a "dark" person, so these reharms reflect that:)

I am also drawn to the "dark side" of music. I have always been like this. I am loving these recordings guys. Thank you Al, Carlo, Bobby, Dave and ThatDude. And also for the sheet music ThatDude - I look forward to checking it out. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• 1 month later...

Nice work thatdude! I don't know the original, but I loved the mood of your version. I imagine it'd work great even as a movie score.

I hope this works. It's a reharm of the first bit of the infamous All Star by Smashmouth. It has become sort of a meme on the internet to create wacky versions of the original:

[video:youtube]

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I am looking for additional ideas on re-harmonizing "Summertime" one verse kinda slow rubato AP sound as an introduction before my 12 piece horn band blasts into a power horns version. I did a search on KC and came up blank. Any leads, recordings, or suggestions?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

• 2 weeks later...
That's really nice, Dave. You managed to get some pretty outside voicings in there while still keeping it grounded, and the melody was never overpowered by the harmonies, at least to my ear.

NY Steinway B, Yamaha C6X

I am looking for additional ideas on re-harmonizing "Summertime" one verse kinda slow rubato AP sound as an introduction before my 12 piece horn band blasts into a power horns version. I did a search on KC and came up blank. Any leads, recordings, or suggestions?

2nd request. I bet Summertime is low hanging fruit for a lot of you experienced jazz players. But any help would be appreciated.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Very very nice, Dave. My biggest regret is not pursuing my classical playing it's hearing stuff like yours that sometimes makes me want to do a Hal Galper with my gear! I'm inspired listening to you. The piano sounds great too.

I'm gonna take an opportunity here to kvell a little and show off my nephew, who I used to baby-sit when he was an infant. He's now a very accomplished jazz pianist in the bay area and I think this track will show why and it also fits perfectly into the subject of this thread:

[video:youtube]

I really love this thread! Polka dots and moonbeams sounds great Dave. Thank you!

Your nephew's version of Skylark is so beautiful, Rob. I need to listen a few more times.... :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Very nice playing/renditions by Dave (the tuned piano sounds beautiful) and that Skylark video too.

So cool to see this thread inhabited again. Although I'm not posting reharms these days, just playing on a song will have its own reharms/ideas/substitutions.

Against my better judgment, here's a very low-fi recording from a soundcheck (background talking, etc.), playing with a talented trumpet player and me on some keyboard I wasn't comfortable with. Just a spontaneous 'All The Things You Are' from 2 yrs ago, no reharm per se, but perhaps some 'harm'.

That's some nice playing, SK. Sounds like you guys were having a lot of fun and not thinking about the tape rolling.

And Reezekeys, your nephew sounds incredible.

Dave, whatever mics and preamps you're using really do sound good (and of course it's really mainly about the playing, and the sound of the piano itself). What type of mics and preamps are they, if you don't mind my asking?

Nice, Steve! I do the same thing with that tune, vamp on the two intro chords at the top and the end. You and Victor sounded great there and the recording is far from "lo fi" you probably benefited from doing this during a sound check, less audience talking!

Thanks Steve and xKnuckles.

UJ- my mics are the DPA 4011s (2) placed very close to the hammers.

And on this particular take I used the BAE API 312A DLB. Actually I give it praise in the recent "high end option" powered speaker thread.

http://www.baeaudio.com/products/dlb

Other preamps I have made recordings with that I borrowed were :

DW Fearn VT2 (probably my overall favorite) , John Hardy Twin Servo 990, Forssell SMP2A and the BAE 1073 DMPs.

A few were made going directly into my Soundcraft Delta console , which was highly modded by Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades.

I currently own a JMK Audio JM-130 pre but haven't been doing as much recording as of late.

Interesting. I always did like the sound of the API 312 preamps for piano.

Thanks so much for the kindnesses... fun to post in "the Room" again!

Nice to 'meet' you, Uncle Jam, thanks.

And thanks, Reezekeys. Actually, it's kinda low-fi... maybe it was recorded on a Zoom with an auto limiter, as the background noise drops when we play.

Dave, thanks a lot. I don't know what I played there. The keyboard seemed like a toy... so I had fun just playing at it. I enjoyed your thoughtful, rich voicings on Polka Dots, plus the quality recording you're getting!

And Dan, in the video - that was a nice, personal version of Skylark.

no reharm per se, but perhaps some 'harm'.
I'm going to have to use this quote if you don't mind, Steve as it applies to me. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI