Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

I re-recorded this since the original was made with Radio Shack quality mics on my old CD recorder. It's buried somewhere in here- on pg 37 maybe .. :D

I'm borrowing a pair of BAE 1073 DMPs and I gotta get 'em back right now, so I'd thought I'd take advantage and redo this. I rushed through this so it's kinda sloppy in places.....

Anyway it's a very short composition based on "Giant Steps" changes.

Staggering Along

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Thank for bringing this thread back to the top. Damn, you play smart. :) Gonna buy the 1073's? I've got a pair of BAE 1272's I bought maybe 20 years ago and still use them every day. I'd sure love a pair of 1073's or the kicked up ones. But anyway...you'd sound great with tin cans and a string.

Thanks Linwood, appreciated. Nothing new to show except better recorded sound on my D.

Not really inspired to do any new reharms, so this another re-do of something posted a few years back. As my hunt for *the* preamp continues, I took advantage of this BAE API clone I have for another few days and re-did the Jimmy Van Heusen classic.

Polka Dots & Moonbeams

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dave, nice playing! The piano/recording sounds really great.

Farther mic placement could help, but I'd be curious to hear how it would sound with a closer mic placement too, since such a good thing might get even better (I don't know your setup - just my "uninformed" recording thought.)

• 3 weeks later...

Dave's playing made me just make a simple enough but somehow interesting recording of a layer of two PC3 (Kurzweil) piano sounds, both in more or less degree unrecognisable when compared to the ROM sounds. If there's interest I might put them up for download, one is quite interesting, anyhow, I used the secondary outputs (analog) for one of the sounds, and mixed that with a digital output version of the other one. There you have it, no tube-warmth hiding in FFTs, no external effects, only a computer AD converter input and ffmpeg at work:

http://www.theover.org/Kurz/doublepia2.mp3 44.1kS/s stereo mp3, 256kbps, 5 min

I hadn't practised it but I thought I'd try some versions with harmonic variations a bit into fusion Jazz of "black magic w.", not playing along with the original album version, so I just made some test sounds and rendering no standard example version ambition here, but fun IMO.

@Dave: in Amsterdam, at the moment :) . I might try out some more things with my 192kS/s signal path and tube warmth effects from LADSPA (Linux), though I'm afraid it is a narrow path to get "everything" right. Not suggesting that is (yet) the same as playing with a nice bunch of modified breadbox effects in Ca, but I do think a lot of studio sounds have required work in that sort of direction, which interests me.

Theo.

Auw man, I think you'd have a hard time being better at the music then I, also I'm not even remotely without formal training and practice experience in more than a few settings. I'm very aware I exemplify certain freedoms I know from the good music from the 70s and 80s. I on purpose take a crap at the "modern" way of making soulless sh*t with an airspay of "new" on it, really.

So you understand fine what my point is, but with *me* in music than I can play, record and produce it has only to do in the sense of the materials I want to publicly promote at the moment, which is the good stuff before studios and the hit parades became as empty and miserable as everybody knows. So take you're bigot-ing elsewhere I'm not interested.

Concerning the harmonisation aspect: I dare you to make a simple or complicated (re-) harmonisation of such a Song. I took the 6 minutes time it took to listen to and play along with the original a few days ago, and unless YOU think you are highly above Carlos c.s. you'd better come up with one that 8I* find pleasing as the original, which I assure you both in production sense and in played-note sense contains all kinds of harmonic aspects which in different way (I"m sure of that) were played by me, because that way I respect the original. And if you, apparently like some others are not appreciative of that, maybe you don't follow the complexity and intentions of the music in such songs. You'll have a hard time being a perfect Bach player if you don't, and I don't know in what type of Music you consider yourself superior. Neither do I believe the modern weak derivatives of productions are going to convince me to have historic value next to these classics. Sorry.

Well now THAT was a failure of communication of the highest order! :laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you there, Theo. I never said I was "better" than you. I don't consider myself "superior" at all, and I didn't mean to seem condescending in my suggestions, which I think were valid.

Guess I finally see why you've been so "misunderstood" on this forum. Post away, but this thread is for reharms only.

(this should get the thread post count up. )

You want me to put on the MIDI score-ifier and play it again to get you a score of the chords I used, and then *YOU* make a version of the song which I can understand as a respectful variation of the original ? I mean if you cant folow the changes I made and why, seriously, I can you follow the Realbook, or lets say basic guitar chords ? I *is* not harmonized according to the subtleties of the original, and certainly you can't have missed some of the jazzy progressions, so I don't know what on earth you're talking about!

Also, I don't think I've ever heard on this "harmonisation" thread what it means to produce-harmonize or guitar-play harmonize (not the duck-voice choir effect, but the chord-emphasizing harmonisation effect), which I *can* do if you'd like an example of that.

Apart from the possible belittle-ling-ness, thank you, but I chose normally to have a discussion, even with partially adverse small-group-members 9and even if they are decidedly bigot-like and worse in general) based somewhat on arguments, but I'm glad gloom and doom don't appear to rule.

Maybe "reharm", you might suggest, is about "harm" instead of short for harmonisation, well, it is quite harmful to scientifically and music-theoretically analyse some of the contemporary synths and music making, so my share of that was uttered here, albeit subversively in my mp3, too. I'm glad you "like" it. That somewhat how I think it's supposed to be. Of course some people have different opinions about that.

There's a strange, yet unidentifiable, competence to Theo's playing that, in spite of many FFTs and 192k impulses, restrains me from my incontinence. I must concur that there is much harm done, by SK and others, to the guitar-like strains of the Real Book and other sheets of staff paper. All your duck-voice choir effect are belong to us.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

:grin:

There's a strange, yet unidentifiable, competence to Theo's playing that, in spite of many FFTs and 192k impulses, restrains me from my incontinence. I must concur that there is much harm done, by SK and others, to the guitar-like strains of the Real Book and other sheets of staff paper.
Check out the softer/stronger double-ply Real Book.

the duck-voice choir effect
supersonic wah-wah processing

I positioned my playing, using a sound I happen to be working on relative to the recent examples from Dave Ferris in this thread as pop-ish with jazz influence on in a manner which isn't manufactured to amuse a jazz audience with different chord choices, but with likeable playing which for the audience isn't like a good dinner pianist but free from all too standard style and senseless repetitions. It was my feeling the piano with tube effects sounds nice in the classic good jazz range, with also not an attempt to overdo the reharmonisations into the extreme, though I don't know all of the songs, and it struck me that within the boundaries of the good jazz the results are good, though I'd feel like doing some more work on the tube effects. In a not quiet space, playing for decent and very musically appraisable reasons, and an audience capable of estimating jazz at it's value I'd think the main effect of the emphasis of chords the effect gives way work well with the reverberation, but wouldn't be my ultimate sound.

The harmonisation issues I put forward on purpose (understood or not) like in general is the case from studio synths to orchestras (as I suppose in understood) cannot be loosened from how the used chords sound in a space, and if the (IMO not too subtle) variations say something which people can find entertaining.