Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Bob Seger System�

Love this pure Detroit Rock!!! Dan Watson on that A100.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah⦠Pep Perrine"s drum kick was awesome!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Yes⦠I discovered this today and could not believe the quality. This video showcases the Mongrel version of his band (I saw this band live a few times)

Those drawbar settings a perfect for the genre.

This is good footage and I appreciate the share. However, the last time that I was in this situation, I had to pull every drawbar out completely and play in the top octave and a half just to be barely heard. I can appreciate the balls-to-the-wall energy, but everyone and everything on ten at all times? No thanks.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3098553/solo-volume-in-loud-bands#Post3098553

Have to correct you, my friend... It's: "Everyone and everything on ELEVEN at all times..." You can't heard the Leslies at "10".

Those drawbar settings a perfect for the genre.

This is good footage and I appreciate the share. However, the last time that I was in this situation, I had to pull every drawbar out completely and play in the top octave and a half just to be barely heard. I can appreciate the balls-to-the-wall energy, but everyone and everything on ten at all times? No thanks.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3098553/solo-volume-in-loud-bands#Post3098553

How long ago was that?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Four or five years ago. It was a house type concert in a studio. I was asked to use the studio's well maintained B3 and 122. As this was the host's studio (a nice acoustic space) and B3 and this but one of a series of concerts that he had hosted for a somewhat more mature crowd, he thought that the rig would cut it without any mics. Foolishly, I trusted that he knew the band and the room. We/He had not accountrd for the fact that (a) our guitar player had not managed to attend soundcheck and (b) someone had invited a guest second guitar player. Unsurprisingly, guitar volume wars ensued. Admittedly, some of the group's members are older, had grown up playing loud on stage and had grown a bit less dynamically sensitive as their hearing fades. Of course it's to play anything dynamically when you have all drawbars out, volume pedal right to the floor and nothing in the lower range audible. If I was not playing solos, I MIGHT have endured being little more than a prop. Struggling to hear the organist in the Seger video reminded me of that more recent event and a number of 1970s gigs.

We/He had not accountrd for the fact that (a) our guitar player had not managed to attend soundcheck and (b) someone had invited a guest second guitar player. Unsurprisingly, guitar volume wars ensued.

Don't get me started about multiple guitar players. Thank God in my last band I was blessed with two guitarists who understand stage dynamics and LISTEN to the whole band when performing.

For more fans of this Seger incarnation, check out this live version of River Deep Mountain High. Outstanding!

Silly drumset is silly. ;)

I opened for Bob at a show in late 72 / early 73. Silly drums were gone. I think the band was mostly Tulsa boys - no bass player. I used to know the organ players name, but forget now. He kicked bass thru a big Acoustic bass amp. They rocked!

Moe

---

I opened for Bob at a show in late 72 / early 73. Silly drums were gone. I think the band was mostly Tulsa boys - no bass player. I used to know the organ players name, but forget now. He kicked bass thru a big Acoustic bass amp. They rocked!

Skip Van Winkle,real last name Knape

Skip Van Winkle,real last name Knape

...and was a hell of a nice guy! and a great player!~. You can hear that band on "Smoking' O.P.'s". His organ solo on cut #3 "If I Were a Carpenter" is one of my all time favorites.

Yes, what bennyray said! HammondDave, thank you for the second share. What a contrast in performance from your first post. I remember seeing the Smoking OP"s album on record store shelves, but I had not heard it before. I listened to more than the track that you recommended. For me, it has the same intensity as the live performance video, but with the added feature of dynamics and balance. This is the kind of stuff that I first heard from bands like Barry Allen and the Cheyenne Winter and Painter when I was in junior high. Rocking, old school R and B influence, Hammond in the mix, soulful singing⦠It doesn"t sound like they fussed over every note choice or timing issue, but given the overall effect of the sound, they didn"t need to. Thanks for reminding me of a sound that first made me think about taking on this music thing.

This is the kind of stuff that I first heard from bands like Barry Allen and the Cheyenne Winter and Painter when I was in junior high. Rocking, old school R and B influence, Hammond in the mix, soulful singing⦠It doesn"t sound like they fussed over every note choice or timing issue, but given the overall effect of the sound, they didn"t need to.

I grew up down the Yellowhead. You and I could talk for hours about that time, including those bands.

Here for the gear.

Yes, what bennyray said! HammondDave, thank you for the second share.

When this album came out I made sure my band covered several of these tunes with these arrangements. We played 'Bo Diddly', 'Love the One You"re With' and 'If I were a Carpenter'. I learned so much by learning and playing Skip"s solo on that song.

Fast forward 30 years and my rock cover band performing at The Taste of Newport. A cool looking dude is standing off stage right staring at me. As I left the stage he says 'real nice hammond playing', and introduced himself as Skip Knape. Well, we must have talked for 30 minutes until his band went on. I asked him how he came up with such a simple but amazingly musical solo. And he said: 'I don"t know⦠I just played what I felt.' Perfect!

Great to hear u playing music that you love HAMMONDDAVE great story about dude saying playing solo was playing from his own instincts which imo just has more feeling and just seems natural of course u already

know this. BTW I love Craig Frost on the organ when he was with SEGER as well.

This is the kind of stuff that I first heard from bands like Barry Allen and the Cheyenne Winter and Painter when I was in junior high. Rocking, old school R and B influence, Hammond in the mix, soulful singing⦠It doesn"t sound like they fussed over every note choice or timing issue, but given the overall effect of the sound, they didn"t need to.

I grew up down the Yellowhead. You and I could talk for hours about that time, including those bands.

Cool. I am younger than the bands that I cited, but I did spend a couple decades playing with a legacy blues band that formed in 1970 (last gig 2017), so I have tried to glean a bit of history from the older guys over the years. My predecessor was one of the Hammond players whose playing helped me form a concept of what assertive and supportive roles the instrument can take in a rockin" band. The player in Seger"s band reminded me of that sort of approach.