Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Larry Young "Unity" Questions

Alaskanblue

Hey Hammond Jazzheads,

I have a few questions-one is why did it take me so long to finally buy this fine jazz CD???? I feel truly deprived! Being a guitarist with a deep love of good Hammond playing, this is just stunning. No hype on anything I've read about this album, what a tour de force! Man oh man, this is my first listen through and I'm beyond impressed-this is pure heaven, isn't it? I'm curious about the bass lines that Young is playing, how much is pedals and how much is left hand? A combination of both? The uptempo tunes are fairly technical, did he play these on pedals? I already know that Mr. Young/Yasin is extremely gifted-anyone know the lowdown on that? These grooves he's laying down with Elvin Jones are something else-and Woody Shaw and Joe Henderson are playing their asses off. Love Young's comping and his inventive soloing are so hot! Love that Hammond!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello hammond-philes and happy 2006

Young was IMHO the first hammond player to take the intrument beyond the Jimmy Smith style - of course he kept the hole "Smith aproach", but -as all great players- he added new things to it: more "out" concept for the scales choice, new approach on comping, a more modern sound to the instrument. I believe he's as importand as Jimmy Smith himself or any othert great - IMHO there would never be Sam Yahel, Medeski, Larry Goldings or any other new star of the organ without Larry Young.

I believe his baselines are left hand and he used the pedal to accentuate some root or dominand chords, just as the vast majority of hammond player does (Joey D., Barbara Denerlein, Don Patterson aren NOT among them :) )

I think Larry Young's most ispiring moments are on his chord/scales choice: heavily avant guard but damn groovy! He's one of my B3 heroes

regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Thanks for all of the input guys, I did think that the uptempo walking lines would've been a bit rough on pedals! I have the utmost respect for all of you Hammond players laying down that serious left hand along with the great comping and soloing! I have checked out some of the samples on the Lifetime albums and will have to get those eventually. Any other CDs that you'd recommend by him? I distinctly remember the first time I heard Young, it was on a jam with Hendrix on the "Nine to the Universe" album-superb! I absolutely love Jimmy Smith and agree that Larry Young is right up there with him.

Happy New Year Hammondphiles!

So what do you guys think of other organists from that era: Groove Holmes, Charles Earland, Brother Jack Mc Duff, Johnny Hammond Smith, etc.?

I enjoy Jimmy Smith and Larry Young, too; I remember my first jazz guitar teacher back in the '70s was into them big time. I liked it OK then, but appreciate it more now!

I just picked up a CD called "Deep Blue Bruise" by the Deep Blue Organ Trio. I HIGHLY recommend you check out this Chicago based trio. The organist is a very skilled player named Chris Foreman. He plays interesting jazz lines, keeps it soulful, and he has a great groove.

So - is anyone else out there bothered by Larry Young's time? I agree he's a great player, but his rushing bugs me. I'm thinking specifiaclly about the "Into Something" CD as I type, but my general impression of his playing is that he's a little out of pocket. Anyone?

If you dig "Unity", check out "Mother Ship"! I agree on Young being the 'spiritual father' of Larry Goldings and the others mentioned, I also agree on his timing being a bit awkward sometimes. Not in the sense of having bad timing, but in making unusual choices..!

• 11 years later...
I just found out about this guy! His soloing is something of a bridge between Emerson and jazz for me.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Ive checked that album out a lot, and Mothership, which somewhat has the same vibe, with fabulous melodies that can catch your breath.

I dont hear any pedal tone on Unity. I think thats how he manages to keep the buoyant, rubbery groove with Elvin - the heavy tone of the bass pedal would set the groove in stone, imho.

Hopefully you got the extended edition, with the just released alternate takes. With these you can hear them struggle with the tunes at times. On jazzdisco.org you can see just how many takes they did that day - they worked really hard on that record.

I interviewed Larrys son, Tyrone 2 years ago. Lovely guy who is very proud of his dads contribution to jazz. He told me his Larry had enormous hands that could span 2 octaves. While I find that a little hard to believe, some of the voicings are very wide, sometimes 4 notes all separated by perfect fourths. I cant make those!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Moontrane is a great tune on this album. Woody Shaw was 18 on this recording and Moontrane was his first composition. He also wrote two of the other tunes.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOahyrmhnZo

Love me some Woody Shaw and Unity was my gateway drug to Woody.

It would easy for me to derail a keyboard player discussion of Unity by going down a Woody Shaw rabbit hole, but I wont.

Regards,

Mark

Trumpet player

Archived