Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

As a huge fan of early Chicago, seeing isolated Covid videos made me want to make such a video of the song "All Is Well" from Chicago V.

The drums played by Ira was the first part I recorded back in 2021, but sadly Ira passed away before the entire project was completed.
For me this has been a labor of love. My son Justin is on trumpet, trombone and backup vocals, and a former bandmate flew across the country to record his bass part. That's me on the EP part, sax, and lead vocal:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Solo piano improvisation for self-evaluation recorded on N2 then transferred to computer via Zoom recorder.

The counter melodies as whole tune was improvised. I ended abruptly as i thought I screwed up if I was on first or second ending.

https://soundcloud.com/pete36251/beautiful-love

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I was rummaging thru the files on my computer, and saw this: The Girl From IpaNaima - I guess you could say it's a jazz mashup.  I did this back in the early days of the reharm room, 2005? 2008?  Can't remember.  Anyway, I kind of like this.   It's mostly a serious piece of music, but there's also a light-hearted element to it, obviously.  But no disrespect meant towards Messrs. Jobim or Coltrane.  Definitely homage.  I contributed a live recording of this to one of the Keyboard Corner compilation cd's, can't remember which one, I'm pretty sure it's on my hard drive somewhere.....

image.thumb.png.c05fc6163a65c5418eb8936e0a780612.png

For the jazzers here - others, well, you've been warned! 🙂 

Back in pandemic times I practiced at home a lot and took advantage of a Jamey Aebersold playalong with Adam Nussbaum and Jay Anderson. Here's my attempt at one of the tracks from that CD, a blues with a bridge of ascending II - V progressions. The head is kind of a throwaway, more improvised than not. The piano is my old Native Instruments New York with imo a touch too much ambience but eff it... it doesn't bother me enough to re-render!

I did a render with the current NI Steinway - the "Grandeur" - and despite messing with every parameter it offers (and there's much more to adjust than on the New York), I found myself liking the sound of the New York much more. Can't explain why - it's just "cleaner" in a way (that probably makes no sense), and sits in the mix of an energetic jazz trio track like this better.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

For the jazzers here - others, well, you've been warned! 🙂 

Back in pandemic times I practiced at home a lot and took advantage of a Jamey Aebersold playalong with Adam Nussbaum and Jay Anderson. Here's my attempt at one of the tracks from that CD, a blues with a bridge of ascending II - V progressions. The head is kind of a throwaway, more improvised than not. The piano is my old Native Instruments New York with imo a touch too much ambience but eff it... it doesn't bother me enough to re-render!

I did a render with the current NI Steinway - the "Grandeur" - and despite messing with every parameter it offers (and there's much more to adjust than on the New York), I found myself liking the sound of the New York much more. Can't explain why - it's just "cleaner" in a way (that probably makes no sense), and sits in the mix of an energetic jazz trio track like this better.

TOIGHT!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I released this more than six months ago but only thought today about posting it here. Modern acoustic jazz trio, for lack of a better description.

All the compositions were written by myself or my bass player, a roughly 2/3 to 1/3 split.

https://tomwhiteri.bandcamp.com/album/tom-white-trio

• Like 2

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

So my old friend, drummer Gary Hess, sent me this today. I believe it's from 1988 (based on the Korg keyboards and Invisible keyboard stand I was using) and I had totally wiped my memory banks clean from this ever happening. What a surprise!

I've mentioned before how I was at the Musician's Institute in Hollywood from 1980 to 2006. They used to feature  the teachers in a Concert type setting for the students so they could see if we actually practiced what we preached.

This was the very fine guitarist, Dan Gilbert's gig. The title and release of the video on the MI youtube page was commemorating Dan's 40 year tenure back in 2020. I'm not sure but he still might be there.  I actually didn't know Dan all that well outside the school but Gary and my other old friend, Alexis Sklarevski on bass, both teachers there as well, hooked me up with this.

The instrumental tunes were all Dan's and he plays some smokin' solos! He brings up the three female singers near the end of the set. The singer in the middle I recall being a teacher there. The other two might have been her students.

It's a 48 minute set video and I wouldn't expect anyone to watch it all the way through. But just some highlights. In the first tune Dan broke his his guitar strap, so he made a bit of a show out it playing on the floor.

There's a bit of a Chick Latin fushiony uptempo thing at 9:50. My solo is around 12:40. Dan does a nice solo feature that's very Metheny-ish at 22:38. He then launches into a Blues where he plays great but doesn't sing very well..lol, but he admits it at the end. I do a solo at 29:00. There's a tune with singers where I play an organ solo at 36:05. And then they close the set with Get Ready. I chose the jazz route on the minor 7 vamp and do a synth solo at 43:22.

Gary and Alexis are rock solid through everything as always. And Alexis takes some fantastic slap bass solos, which is what he's highly known for. I thought it would be fun to post this to show I actually did play synth and organ in a world long ago and far away.

Man we were all so young once.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 6
  • Love 2

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Found a nice bass flute sound library, wrote a quick piece with it.  Kinda how I roll.  Lol

• Like 5

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 2 weeks later...

Hee is one of the videos I recorded live in Mexico City with my wonderful fusion band called MO RITMO--you don't know these guys but they are some of the best players in Mexico when it comes to fusion. The best part, however, is how we all listen to each other even when things get hot and heavy. Plus I feel like our compositions are catchy and accessible without being simple-minded, so there is that. :)

Here is MO RITMO doing "NEWMO" followed by "MR. SCO" on which I'm playing the studio's Boesendorfer Imperial Grand.

NEWMO

MR SCO

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I'm chomping at the bit to start sharing the studio recordings I've been making with Pocket Bandits, my organ trio, but in the meantime, this was so much fun I wanted to share it.

We've been doing some shows in a small listening room/taproom in town where we play two short sets of our own music bookending a set backing up a different singer-songwriter and interpreting their original music. Then we've been bringing the guest artist back up for a cover as an encore.

My collaborators were kind enough to entertain my love for musical theater so our friend Joe Gibson could let 'er rip on a number from Jesus Christ Superstar. I whiff the organ solo in the middle but otherwise, not bad for one rehearsal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The last couple months I was doin' some demos for Sheena Easton. She's going back out this week and wanted to add some new tunes to her show. On this tune that she wanted to add I was asked to do 2 different versions of it right up front. This is the one she did not take. She went with the one that was really close to the original. For this one I used software to lift Lisa's vocal off the original so that I'd have a vocal to work with. The demos go to the band to learn. They don't want paper. I guess that way you actually have to learn the tune and you get an idea of the feel, intent, and sounds to play.

Hit Me Band

• Like 5

On 2/24/2024 at 12:45 PM, linwood said:

The last couple months I was doin' some demos for Sheena Easton. She's going back out this week and wanted to add some new tunes to her show. On this tune that she wanted to add I was asked to do 2 different versions of it right up front. This is the one she did not take. She went with the one that was really close to the original. For this one I used software to lift Lisa's vocal off the original so that I'd have a vocal to work with. The demos go to the band to learn. They don't want paper. I guess that way you actually have to learn the tune and you get an idea of the feel, intent, and sounds to play.

Hit Me Band

sounds awesome, super groovin'!  The other version must be awesome too 😁. What’s the software you used to lift the vocal?

ya know… you could do a mashup with “I Keep Forgettin” and this tune 👍

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Thanks. I like the other version, too. They chopped it up and extended the intro and put a breakdown in it for audience participation…show biz stuff. I use LALAL(dot)AI to grab the vocal. I did 5 tunes and used it for all of them. Some of the tunes were ones that she recorded in the 80s/90s and we needed to lower the key. So I’d grab the vocals and pitch them down where I needed them and built the tracks around it. Fun gig. She’s as nice as can be. Hadn’t played this type of thing in a while and never covered these tunes so it’s fun to sit with them and go there.

The actually cool Bond song singer! Stansfield's hit is a good (end) 80s production for dancing and general listening IMO, must be fun to do  glorified GM Midi rendition, or would you say that the "new" software is close to the real thing ?

Listening to a lot of great hits is fatiguing because of the built in spoiler tracks and dealings with what I guess are mood influencing production tricks to prevent other interpretations of the materials then the intended one. You rendition is a bit faster I think, generally a bit fuller sound but a lot less succinct and a little boomy in the bass range. This might all be in the specification, of course..

T

1 hour ago, linwood said:

It is what it is, Theo. Maybe next time she'll call you.

I really like it!    It blew my mind when I first played your recording cuz I was called in to play keys for a variety show cover of it when it was first a hit, and memories started to flood back.   Can’t remember what I played. I think it was a DX7 and Juno 106.  Did ok since it won the competition :).

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I never played it when it was out and I never got to play any of Sheena's tunes either. That's what makes gigs like this fun. You get to sit with a tune and have to get into it all alone and make it groove.  That's a two day-er for me. The first day you play it all in and the next day you tighten things up and spend a couple hours on a mix and you're on to the next one. Life in the fast lane, but that's the gig.

I hate to jump in with another one, but some might be interested in the process…This thing bugged me for the past few years. It’s an arr I did for them for the orchestra, but the sound of the original broadcast was pretty bad. The mix was outta whack big time. You couldn’t hear the orchestra at all and I understand it. In a venue like this and the type of show, how do you handle all the open mics? I’ve seen plenty of shows where the strings are on stage for show and the audio is played in the house to a click.

All the singers in show struggled with intonation and some more than others. I'm sure it was a bad monitor mix and they couldn't hear themselves. It wasn’t like a bad note here and there. It was consistently out of tune. So…LALAL(dot)AI to the rescue. I was able to separate the vocal from the band and then I had the ability to tune him and also widen his vocal a bit. I used izotope to bring the drums up a couple db. Then I made a tempo map and sweetened the orchestra with the new update to SSO that came out last week. I already owned pro so it was an easy update for me, but I hadn’t given it a spin yet and this was a good reason to try it out. Took a full day to do it, but now I can live with it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A friend from Argentina proposed to me to do a rework of a song by a group I had never heard of. Soda Stereo is very famous in Argentina and Latin America but not, I'm afraid, in the rest of the world. The fun part is that he told me not to listen to the original track (only the acapella file he sent me) to avoid any influence… so this is what I did. 
https://on.soundcloud.com/RsEZ6FkHX6fxY3Ni7

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

This is a track from the newest Aethellis album, a sort of jazz fusion/prog instrumental, "RIP" (Recording In Progress).

I co-wrote this with our guitarist, Mark Van Natta originally back in 1984 and this is the latest recording of it.

For vintage synth lovers, there's quite a bit of Polysix on the track!

https://www.n1m.com/aethellis/song/1144241-RIP

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Another little something I threw together, using everyone's favorite board...

• Love 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

In a Sentimental Mood (Duke Ellington). Blowing over the first two A sections, melody on the bridge and out. On a super nice Fazioli 228 at Pierre's Fine Pianos a few weeks back. As always for best audio, listen with good phones or studio monitors.

• Like 8

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Here we go.  Feeling a bit retro-active lately!

Hardware

Software