Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

On 8/26/2023 at 11:29 AM, Theo Verelst said:

I feel the need to say Dave F. sounded by far the best.

Maybe you're familiar with the recording engineer and the mastering engineer? 🙂 

Another reason it sounds the best might have something to do with the writing and the playing as well. That usually has a little to do with it. 🙂 

Nice, Dave! Thanks for posting. We can both say we've played a piano Chick played!

One day it will be interesting to prompt an AI server to create perfectly produced jazzy pieces, such that they are in these desirable styles...

OT though, it's true I like that Jazz also the best of all the music productions, but I prefer to decide for myself if I can separate the sound from the music.  Once my sound design is full circle enough to use without making me feel iffy, I suppose the best should be my own Jazz, preferably after importing some Californian sunshine.

T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a pleasant surprise this week when my primary project's festival set from June showed up (mostly) in full on YouTube: 

Sound mix gets a little funny (not sure if it's a board mix or camera audio, but there is not a lot of information below, like, 120 Hz), and there are some very silly video editing choices (plus the overall "VHS" look of the whole thing, which I find quite endearing, actually). And of course there are a handful of sour harmonies and flubs here and there that I wouldn't have chosen to Officially Release myself. But it's always nice to unexpectedly watch your own performance and go "hey, we're a really good band!" He even got the majority of our 25-minute mini-rock-opera, "At the Festival," which we performed in full.

I've got this three-board rig pretty well dialed in at this point -- the Yamaha CP88 for Wurli, grand piano, and a little bit of clav; Mojo XT for Hammond; and Korg Prologue 8 for all things synth. My talkbox tube was AWOL (this was my third set of four that afteroon and it just wound up in the wrong case), so I make do with a straightahead synth solo. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy!

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

New release from my comedy R&B project Alpha $ix - "Judgement Day". Went a different route musically with this one with more co-writing on the music side.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Singer set up a camera so I have video from a recent show, in support of the songwriter you see here. Stage sound was exactly as difficult to deal with as it sounds here! Middle section is theoretically a kind of spacey jam thing but he went to play and then sent a solo over to me instead. He did end up going for a sort of layering thing at the end. (What turned out to be) my solo starts around 3:15. If the sound (or my playing!) is unbearable I can pull this down before the 8(?)-hour window expires. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 2 weeks later...

Before I sold my Wavestation to Jim Alfredson, I put together this 12 minute track of some of the creepiest presets I could assemble. Audio wallpaper designed for reasonably smooth looping for Halloween parties, displays, or just tormenting the neighbors.

The Wavestation really shines here. Wonderful motion and that fuzzy digital warmth that made the instrument a pleasure to play--but not to program. A big thanks to Dan Philips for his dedication to this wonderful machine. 

Free to download. Add to cart, put .00 in the price and "continue with zero and download to your computer."

Spooky Loop--Bandcamp link

• Love 1

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

On 9/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, MathOfInsects said:

Singer set up a camera so I have video from a recent show, in support of the songwriter you see here. Stage sound was exactly as difficult to deal with as it sounds here! Middle section is theoretically a kind of spacey jam thing but he went to play and then sent a solo over to me instead. He did end up going for a sort of layering thing at the end. (What turned out to be) my solo starts around 3:15. If the sound (or my playing!) is unbearable I can pull this down before the 8(?)-hour window expires. 

I wish I had video captures this good from live gigs for my covers band. And the audio capture (that's from the cell phone too, right?) is useful for my suggestion.

Suggestion: At the next gig, get some kind of multitrack recorder to take a capture from the mixing board (of the mix it sends to the PA speakers which send sound to the audience), and at least a capture of the bass. If you just mix these 3 things together (audio captured from camera, from the mixing board send to PA, and the bass) the audio will be a lot better. Bass guitars and electric guitars tend to be underrepresented in what comes out of the mixing board during live gigs, because a fair amount of their sound reaches the audience directly from their amps. You could take an audio mix from these 3 sources, and use it to replace the audio captured by the cell phone.

Even better, add a second cell phone to capture a different view, maybe from up high in the ceiling closer to a center view angle, or just a little off center closer to the keyboard side. And then switch camera views a few times during the song. What you guys play is worth posting.

Here are some more orchestral sounds from the Yamaha Genos. This is a rendition of the Star Wars theme song. It starts off with a solo lead, then progressives with style accompaniment using a preset style called Sci-FiMarch. Btw, a Genos2/EX is in the pipeline from Yamaha, and it could be unveiled on November 16, 2023. More prognosticating, I know. Time will tell. Enjoy! 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:48 PM, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Had a pleasant surprise this week when my primary project's festival set from June showed up (mostly) in full on YouTube: 

Sound mix gets a little funny (not sure if it's a board mix or camera audio, but there is not a lot of information below, like, 120 Hz), and there are some very silly video editing choices (plus the overall "VHS" look of the whole thing, which I find quite endearing, actually). And of course there are a handful of sour harmonies and flubs here and there that I wouldn't have chosen to Officially Release myself. But it's always nice to unexpectedly watch your own performance and go "hey, we're a really good band!" He even got the majority of our 25-minute mini-rock-opera, "At the Festival," which we performed in full.

I've got this three-board rig pretty well dialed in at this point -- the Yamaha CP88 for Wurli, grand piano, and a little bit of clav; Mojo XT for Hammond; and Korg Prologue 8 for all things synth. My talkbox tube was AWOL (this was my third set of four that afteroon and it just wound up in the wrong case), so I make do with a straightahead synth solo. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy!

I am pretty sure that's camera audio.

You have some impressive multitasking going on with playing non-trivial parts on two keyboards and singing at the same time!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of new ones:

"In Perfect Peace"

"Nocturne #1 in B-minor"

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

On 6/17/2023 at 3:54 AM, TWizzle said:

My jazz trio recorded an album last summer and it is now out - all original tunes. Also have some of my solo synth/electronic/experimental stuff up here too (anything labeled "Pilot Program").

https://tomwhiteri.bandcamp.com/

Listening to the trio album right now, nice writing and playing! Really enjoying it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

One of the bands I play in just did some live-in-studio videos.  Here are a couple of the tunes, both written by Jack, lead singer/guitarist.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I previously posted this in a Numa thread.  Didn't think to do it here. In between other gigs with Bradley Cole Smith,  been doing little mini-tours with Atlanta jazz guitarist Chris Blackwell  in jazz clubs and Theaters.   Chris does  a bunch of Larry Carlton, Robben Ford etc. 

We affectionately call the band "Return to Whatever".  Trying go get some buzz for the next leg in the lower Tri-State South.  Love to invite/comp and share a beer if we're in your neighborhood.  For the next run of locals taking real Rhodes on a few (pray for me)  and have replaced the Numa with YC73

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

There are two versions of my latest song, Atmos immersive and conventional stereo. All you need to check these out is conventional headphones. The Dolby Atmos Renderer downmixed the original Atmos project for stereo, and rendered it into binaural for the immersive version. Of course it doesn't sound like surround speakers blasting air at you, but compare it to the conventional stereo mix and see what you think. 

At first, it doesn't seem like there's much difference because the music is the same. Also, I don't mix Atmos with guitars flying around you (yet), I mix more like "better stereo." But the sound is different. Although the difference is subtle, it's significant. Everything sounds fuller and more detailed. Looking at a phase meter showed this is indeed the case - the Atmos mix takes up more "space." You can almost hear the rosin on the string quartet intro.

Unlike mono vs. stereo, it doesn't seem like a night and day difference at first. But after listening to the Atmos mix several times, the stereo version now sounds "flat" to me.

I'm very interested in what y'all think about the difference! Note that these are currently unlisted links and are exclusive to Musicplayer.com, but you can share them if you want. Also note that I'm matching every "like" with a $1 contribution to St. Jude's Research Hospital, up to $250.

Binaural version 

Conventional stereo version

On 10/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, Foxtrot3 said:

A transcription and performance of Thelonious Monk's piano solo #2 on Just You, Just Me, played live at the Blackhawk in 1960 and released on his album The Complete Riverside Recordings.

Monk's 'Evidence' is based on this exact tune (same changes).

• Like 1

One of the bands I play in just released a new video, live in studio.

Hardware

Software

I Can See Clearly Now Remix II

Different intro, same song, with a little bit of editing. Everything you hear musically is from the Yamaha Genos except vocals, of course. Btw, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates the holiday. Tomorrow's the big day. Folks up in Canada already had theirs on October 9th. UK has one on no specific day near the harvest moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox. Btw, I'm a history buff, so please bear with me. 😉 Without further ado... 

I wanted to let you guys and gals know that the vocals in the song I posted above this one were not my vocals, as you no doubt realized. It was Johnny Nash and his backup singers. My main goal was to once again highlight the sonic prowess of the Yamaha Genos. Anyway...

I thought I'd post another song, this time with my vocals. It's called "Don't Be Cruel" in the style of Elvis Presley. I used a Shure Beta 87a cardioid microphone. This is an updated rendition using my Yamaha Genos which I previously recorded using my Yamaha Tyros. The vocal harmonizer feature was used during certain parts of the song. Voices/Parts include the Yamaha S.Art C7 Piano, Acoustic Bass, S.Art Country Pick & S.Art Jazz Guitar Amp, Tenor Choir used for backup singers, and a Jazz Stick Drum Kit all from the Genos. Critique is always welcome. 👍 I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Have a great weekend!

Written for the season.

"The Light"

Hardware

Software