Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A good friend and bandmate called up from the minors

Pre pandemic I had a Kansas tribute band (which died during the virus). Back then (2016?) I had hired a very young kid to play keyboards in the group and I have to say, he was monster player.  He was only 19 or 20 when he started with us but very mature and motivated. Such a quick learner...and really just an all around killer musician and a really good kid. He's got great parent that really support him. I always described him has having the curse of too much talent, as music would have to be his career.

We became pretty good friends despite our huge difference in age and we've kept in pretty close touch. I'd like to say I've tried to mentor him, but musically he's been well beyond me since the day we met, but I'd like to think there's still things old guys can teach young kids. So he's been really slogging it out, doing the right things, playing every gig that came his way and working his way up and making contacts with some near famous musicians like Ron Thal, Marco Minneman etc. He got to play with Pattern Seeking Animals for a couple shows they did. Actually got on the 1st round American Idol but wasn't their cup of tea. Working hard, but as any of you pros know...probably not putting much in the bank!  But I've been following his career very closely.

Anyway, last week, by luck he was passing through my town and stopped in overnight and told me that he'd just gotten a text out of the blue where he'd been recommended for a pretty big well known touring band. We thought about putting some songs up on his social media from that band as maybe an influence so we worked on learning and programming a pretty complicated song from said well known touring group.  In the end, we needed to do some video editing so he wasn't going to get the video up for a couple days.

Jump forward a day and he calls me and says, "Dude, I just got off the phone with Steve Lukather and I'm the new 2d keyboard player for TOTO!"

So yes: Meet Dennis Atlas, the new 2d keyboard player for Toto.  All round great kid and monster musician. Couldn't be happier for him.

And I can now always say that I taught the Toto keyboard player how to play Rosanna!  In truth he learned it in just a couple minutes of watching me, but that's the way I'm going to tell the story.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Cool 2
  • Love 7

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I went searching and was very impressed with what I found. God bless and good for him! 

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Checked his skills out on the internetz, great player, definitely deserves cool gigs and a stunning CV!!!

Hat of for that - 🍾 !!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Just watched a video of him playing "Come on Eileen" - all the parts sounded great, very impressed!

I wish him well for the future!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Not implying he lacks the requisite talent, but I think Toto is hoping to hitch their wagon to this guy's YouTube popularity.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

On 5/20/2024 at 12:31 PM, Adan said:

Not implying he lacks the requisite talent, but I think Toto is hoping to hitch their wagon to this guy's YouTube popularity.

That may be the case; I'm sure he's grateful to hitch his wagon to Toto's mass audience and "actually getting paid!"

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I agree with what Ken said, definitely the right person for the gig. Listening right now to the 11+ minute YouTube keys demo. The Kansas covers are are riveting...Wickedly good player. 

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On 5/20/2024 at 5:31 PM, Adan said:

Yeah because nobody has heard of Toto....

:D

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

The great difference between this small community of musicians and the rest of the social media, is that here, people are not only genuinely kind but really want their peers to succeed, something you don't see too often on the rest of the social media circus. 

It's very sweet the way you have talked about this young, talented and skilled musician 

Kudos to both of you 

• Like 4
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Monster talent is an understatement.  Beyond a touring musician, Dennis Atlas will always be able to earn a living as a musician in some capacity.  I can already envision him running his own Las Vegas shows.  Sky is the limit for this young man.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh yeah I've seen Dennis on FB with a Styx and REO tribute and he is top notch from what I have seen. I know of him around LA. I am guessing that means Steve Maggiora is out? Or Greg P was just filling in temporarily? 

Mags band "The Effect" will be on tour opening for TOTO throughout Europe this summer, starting in Germany.

Greg is still very much MD and keys player for TOTO tour.

It will be interesting too se how Dennis works this since right now he has an entirely full slate of tour dates for his own project at the same time TOTO is playing in Europe.

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

On 5/20/2024 at 11:31 AM, Adan said:

what?

In addition to being on the road with Journey the last few years, TOTO has an entirely full schedule this summer and fall while Journey embarks on their stadium tour with Def Leppard.

I think TOTO does not have a problem with recognition

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks, Steve is a FB friend so sad to see him go, and glad Greg is staying. I feel with Greg and Shannon back the band is more the way it was a few years ago. And good for Dennis, top notch talent and well deserved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EscapeRocks said:

It will be interesting too se how Dennis works this since right now he has an entirely full slate of tour dates for his own project at the same time TOTO is playing in Europe.

Dennis has been busy just getting spun up for Toto as they're going on the road next month. So he probably hasn't updated any of his future schedule online. That being said, anything that conflicts with Toto will get re-scheduled or cancelled...I'm pretty sure of that.

He's supposed to call me later today so hopefully I'll have an update.

• Like 3

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 5/20/2024 at 12:31 PM, Adan said:

I can see my attempt at humor didn't land, but is it that hard to see it was meant to be humorous? Toto could go out with zero original members and still sell out shows. For all I know, that's what they do (but I really don't know).

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

1 hour ago, Adan said:

I can see my attempt at humor didn't land, but is it that hard to see it was meant to be humorous? Toto could go out with zero original members and still sell out shows. For all I know, that's what they do (but I really don't know).

Ironic_Memes_banner.thumb.jpg.48225f388f515c589c2dac69fcc3d9b3.jpg

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Wow, that's really wonderful. Can't wait to check him out on YouTube! it's always great to hear of a young (or older) player with amazing talent doing well and / or landing a dream opportunity.

I've seen quite a few players on YouTube in different genres that have left me memorized with both their technical ability and arrangement skills. So glad that this young man got the call for this, judging from the other comments here, its extremely well deserved! Again, looking forward to checking him out myself.

Warm Regards,

Anthony

On 5/23/2024 at 9:45 AM, EscapeRocks said:

Mags band "The Effect" will be on tour opening for TOTO throughout Europe this summer, starting in Germany.

Greg is still very much MD and keys player for TOTO tour.

I guess Mags is no longer with The Effect either so something must have happened. They announced it on the 5th of May on their FB page. Dennis got the head up that he was being looked at about 8-9 days later.

I have no idea what precipitated it but it looks like he was let go by both bands at approx the same time.