Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If You Could Only Buy One Analogue Synth, What Would it Be?

OK, this should be fun... If you could only afford to purchase one analog synthesizer for studio and/or live use, which one would it be? 

Oberheim?  Prophet? Moog?  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Novation Summit, will get me through the widest spectrum of vintage type of sounds and approximate most of the vintage synths, albeit not perfectly. But one can argue its FPGA oscillators are not fully analog. If you demand really analog, then I'd probably get a Prophet Rev2, although the envelopes are still digital 😉

• Like 4

+1

Novation Summit for me too, it's easy to be romantic over yesteryears tech, but this is the best of both worlds and analog enough for me in this day and age👍

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

52 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

OK, this should be fun... If you could only afford to purchase one analog synthesizer for studio and/or live use, which one would it be? 

Charlatan: $0
MiniMogue: $0
OB-XD: $0
PG-8X: $0

Synth1: $0

Tyrell N6: $0

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Alesis Andromeda.  Does Oberheim and Moog timbres very well with a deep modulation feature set.  Doesn't have the girth and bite of a Minimoog, but the Andromeda covers so much.  The deep modulation feature set gets sounds you would least expect from an analog synthesizer.  Yes I still gig mine.

Runner up is the wonderful Oberheim OB-X8, if you don't need the deep modulation features this is the definition of "analog".

• Love 1

I already own a Summit, and it certainly is quite flexible for a synth.  Extra points for Novation being a great company to deal with in my experience.   A bit of extra points for it coming with a nice web-based free librarian app, that is more useful than you'd think for building custom sets.

That said, out of new synths, probably an OBX8 or maybe a Prophet 5.  These are, or are close to, what I grew up wanting.  They do what they do, and like that thing they do!  Now, if someone is giving me this and price is no object, I might look at something boutique like a Deckard's Dream simply because it's super expensive :D 

I'm down to one keyboard live so my Summit and other keyboard don't get out to play anymore...that could change so I don't want to sell them (plus I HATE the process of selling).

17 minutes ago, felis said:

Summit has digital oscillators/analog filters. so it's more of a hybrid than an analog in my book.

Yeah, that’s what I explained about it too. On the other hand, it’s very high frequency FPGA oscillators that support FM and shape modulation, including PWM. And arguably it’s the analog filters with drive that make something sound analog rather than the oscillators.

Besides, many modern fully analog synths are way too stable and need digital cheats that intentionally introduce detuning and other similar tweaks that would make it sound vintage and not too “digital” 😀

Of the modern polysynths the new Prophet 10 is tempting but lacks a few basic synth functions that I consider important so for more versatility and fatter/lusher sound I would go for the OB-X8. 

For a vintage polysynth that lacks almost nothing in synth function the Roland Jupiter 6 is my number one choice. With multi-mode filter and extended pitch-range oscillators it is capable of sounds that no other vintage polysynth can do as well. These days nobody would think of using an analog synth for piano sounds but the Jupiter 6 can do a pretty convincing grand piano. It can also do sparkly chime/bell/bowed string sounds that were the best until FM and Sampling came along. System 80 makes the Jove Eurorack filter which recreates the Jupiter 6 filter with some additional features.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

The upcoming Polybrute, 12 voices and poly aftertouch...

• Like 4

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

For a mono synth - assuming hybrids are allowed and modular systems aren't:

I would probably buy the one that I actually bought, the Sequential Pro 3. To me, it has by far the best *combination* of elements (sound, versatility, depth, interface, action, lh controllers, feel).

For a poly, I confess that there isn't one that really captures my GAS. I already own some very good ones: Matrix-12, Poly Evolver, Take 5, and a JX-10 that I'm about to sell. Probably, among the current polys, the most desirable one would be...

24 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

The upcoming Polybrute, 12 voices and poly aftertouch...

• Like 2

Sequential Prophet-6. I've always been a poly slab synth player. Unison has handed me what I needed for solo leads and Gorgo bass. You have to approach it differently than you would a monosynth, but its easily managed. I'd like an added multi-FX box for added Moog-balls here & there, via pitch-shift or sub-oscillator. Otherwise, I'd feel well-covered. I could make a go of it as a module, as well. Give me one of each and I'll grow an added finger per hand so I can fully milk 'em. Sorry, that sounds a bit gross... sort of a Tom Waits burrito-&-Ouzo nightmare. 😬

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Prophet 10 I guess.  I have digital synths that have multi-verses worth of options and routings and endless mod matrices and all that.  For that one analog, I'll take the classic Sequential beast.

nat

6 hours ago, Mark Zeger said:

For the past 40+ years, this

IMG_2309.jpeg

This is either one of the best or one of the worst synthesizers you could give someone who has OCD. I won't even tackle it as software. 🙄

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I have only one synth now - a Behringer 2600 - because I wanted to experience some of what Joe Zawinul and Stevie Wonder did when they discovered these instruments back in the day. Every so often I play around with plugging patch cables in and seeing what come out. Other than that I have no interest in synths anymore, only piano, ep and organ. My CK61 comes close enough for any synth sounds I might need to pull up at a gig.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Trigon-6...

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

18 hours ago, HammondDave said:

As listed, I would go with a Prophet 10.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It would be the Oberheim OBX8, or the “lowly” Sequential Rev2, which I think is a phenomenal package for the money (and has 16 voices). 

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

This...

CS80-U411o.thumb.jpg.bc4d3f4f25b0a6703a05ea3688676c49.jpg

• Like 4

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Fun question! Back in the day I played a Prophet-5 and an OB-8, both stacked on top of the best stand ever, a CP-70B. :laugh:

If I had to pick between the two, a nearly impossible decision, I’d probably go with the Prophet-5, if only for sentimental reasons; it was my first polysynth.

I’ve yet to hear their modern-day counterparts, the new Prophet-5 and OBX-8, so not sure if this would modulate my decision. ;)

In terms of a mono synth, I’d select the Minimoog Model D reissue. Played one at GearFest a few years ago, instantly brought me back to 1978, when I had the original model.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Expanding field of analog synths from the original post, I would go with an Arturia PolyBrute.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hmmm, only one, easy! That would have to be an Oberheim Matrix 12, long time no see, in fact I haven't seen one of those, or the Xpander, since I was in my 20's, but definitely the most comprehensive and well sounding analogue I ever had my eager fingers on.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 3/16/2024 at 10:05 AM, CyberGene said:

Novation Summit, will get me through the widest spectrum of vintage type of sounds and approximate most of the vintage synths, albeit not perfectly. But one can argue its FPGA oscillators are not fully analog. If you demand really analog, then I'd probably get a Prophet Rev2, although the envelopes are still digital 😉

Mother mercy, I was going to type Novation Summit too. I see other people here also agree with me !!

Truly warm and dark oscillator, great interface and the effects are the amazing 

• Like 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc