Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If You Could Only Buy One Analogue Synth, What Would it Be?

I learnt synthesis on a Roland Juno 106, which I foolishly sold - however, the Roland System 8 does everything that 106 did, and more (yeah it's fake analog, who cares).
The System 8 engine by itself is massive, but with the ACB PlugOuts it's an entire synth collection in one box. 

C'mon Roland - System 16, all of the PlugOuts on board, aftertouch, 61 keys, metal chassis, better FX - you're just leaving money on the table!

• Like 3

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

21 minutes ago, Aynsley Green said:

I learnt synthesis on a Roland Juno 106, which I foolishly sold

Same here, but fortunately I kept mine.  It needs some work, as a few voices are intermittent last time I powered it up.  

It’s a funny story a musician  borrowed it who was doubling as a cast member in a production and it came back red from stage blood.  

Talk about just the perfect simple test bed to learn synthesis as a teen!    

I’ve got the OB6 now that is totally enough to keep me occupied as a piano player. 

• Like 2

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 3/17/2024 at 12:28 AM, Sundown said:

It would be the Oberheim OBX8, or the “lowly” Sequential Rev2, which I think is a phenomenal package for the money (and has 16 voices). 

I am sure I'll end up with the Rev2 at some point, because I really want the OB-X8 but my budget says nope, not until the used ones fall in price some more.

The Rev2 has the Curtis filters, which meant that back when it first came out (pre-OB-X8)  it was seen as a reliable classic Oberheim replacement due to the gritty similar Curtis sound. The Rev 2 and the Prophet '08 were said to sound more like an OB-8 than a Prophet 5, despite the inventor and nameplate.

But still....what's my one analog? The OB-X8. I lust after that thing like car people lust for a Ferrari. And like a Ferrari, it ain't the most multifacted thing, but what it does it does so well that nothing else matters!

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Vintage, for me an easy answer, Rhodes Chroma. The keyboard that taught me to slow down and play the note. That is never going to happen because getting good service for vintage analogs in my area is almost impossible, and very expensive to send it off to someone good. 

If I am paying for it, probably the Take 5. Looks like a great deal in analog and new enough to get serviced.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

hmm...having already owned a bunch of classics along with the overlap of digital components in "analog" synths, I think the question of pure analog is moot unless I choose to re-purchase my Oberheim Modular 8 Voice at an enormous premium. Otherwise, I might pick the UDO Super Gemini.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I am not an "only owning one synth" kinda guy by any means, but, at this moment, my Sequential Take 5 is really ticking a lot of boxes for me. I wanted an analog polysynth, everything else I currently own is mono, modular or semi-modular. I wanted a live solo synth to replace my Minimoog Model D for live playing. And, since most of what I first learned about programming synths many years ago was on a Prophet 5 owned by the University electronic music studio I worked at as a student in the '80's, I've always wanted a Prophet. The T5 does all that, sounds incredible, and is unbelievably cheap for how great it is. So if I had to just chose one, I'd probably go with one of the T5's modern big siblings like the Pro5 Rev 4 or Pro 10.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

If that Arturia Polybrute 12 with poly AT is indeed real--and it looked like it--that is of definite interest.

My powers of rationalization could easily bend things to:  "I need a poly AT controller for home!" while I'd use it's sounds live.  Then again, that would mean two keyboards live again and the Nord Stage 3 is doing a better-than-expected job at handling synth sounds.  Truly happy with what it can do and wasn't really expecting that.

I actually went through this exercise last year when I decided I was going to get one analog flagship just for fun. I ended up deciding on the Polybrute (even over the Moog One), but then I went down the MPC rabbit hole and I forgot all about it.

"For instance" is not proof.

Growing up in the 80’s, so many of the radio hits of that time prominently featured a poly Oberheim.  Many years later after I took up keyboard, I always lusted after one (any one of em) but was put off by the high price tag and the fear of obsolete chips and maintenance upkeep required.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and the OB-X8 was announced, and it was dream come true.  Yes it was $$$, but it’s the one analog poly I had always wanted.  It is by far the most expensive instrument I own (number #2 isn’t even close), but for me was totally worth it.  It sounds so good and brings a smile to my face every time I sit in front of it and play it.  And doesn’t even need FX (IMO) to sound amazing.

• Like 2

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:05 AM, Aynsley Green said:

I learnt synthesis on a Roland Juno 106, which I foolishly sold - however, the Roland System 8 does everything that 106 did, and more (yeah it's fake analog, who cares).
The System 8 engine by itself is massive, but with the ACB PlugOuts it's an entire synth collection in one box. 

C'mon Roland - System 16, all of the PlugOuts on board, aftertouch, 61 keys, metal chassis, better FX - you're just leaving money on the table!

I didn't list the System 8 because it's digital.  But I have to say, it sounds so good and accesses so much Roland magic from their vintage analogs, that it's kind of slaked my thirst for the biggest, baddest analog poly.

I have a the 4-voice Poly Evolver rack and a Mono Evolver Keyboard, so I've got a 5-voice analog/digital Dave Smith hybrid, a very unique synth, seemingly best of both worlds.  But since I got the System 8,  I just keep gravitating to it daily and blissing out, month after month, on the 106, the Jup8, and the System-8 synth itself.  

nat

If I could only own one then it wouldn’t be Analog. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

System 8 (as well as the JDXA) both have vocoders, which of course is a niche thing but one I'd love to overuse in a band situation!  I bought a vocoder pedal (eh v256) but haven't brought it out to gig yet.

Always wished the Hydrasynth had one, I'd have bought one long ago.  Still might, we'll see!

1 hour ago, CEB said:

If I could only own one then it wouldn’t be Analog. 

I didn't read the question as a choice between analog and digital. 

The availability of digital definitely makes for a different decision.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Korg Prologue is one of the most fun, one-stop shop instruments I ever played. It's more on the simple side (which can be sometimes addressed through open-source oscillators and effects), but timbrally it's such a verstaile beast, good onboard FX, bitimbrality on the 16 voice model...you can do just about anything with it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

The Korg Prologue is one of the most fun, one-stop shop instruments I ever played.

Agreed.  The Prologue is a utilitarian synth that definitely punches above its weight.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

42 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Agreed.  The Prologue is a utilitarian synth that definitely punches above its weight.😎

I love my Prologue 16, takes me back to the realms of Prophet VS (one of my favorite synths) and I totally agree that it's an incredibly versatile machine, obviously depending on what you've got in the multi-oscillator slots can take things one step further, still, in its base configuration, an amazing synth. Will never get rid of mine!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

I love my Prologue 16, takes me back to the realms of Prophet VS (one of my favorite synths) and I totally agree that it's an incredibly versatile machine, obviously depending on what you've got in the multi-oscillator slots can take things one step further, still, in its base configuration, an amazing synth. Will never get rid of mine!

Some of the programmers out there go absolutely nutty with the Logue SDK...and what's crazy, a lot of them put these things out there for free! I'm a huge nerd for S&H, for example, which of course none of the Logues have by default. But sure enough, someone created a free effect that essentially gives you great S&H. Oh, and a VA engine that is actually mapped to the physical controls of the board, multiple filters such as 24dB, aaaaand, you can blend it with the actual analog sound source of the Logue and control both simultaneously!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:05 PM, Mark Zeger said:

For the past 40+ years, this

IMG_2309.jpeg

Yes sir, that´s the one! 🥰

For live: OB-X8

• Like 1

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

On 3/16/2024 at 8:52 PM, marino said:

and a JX-10 that I'm about to sell.

Did you get tired of the DCO sound? Btw, did you do any of the upgrades?  PWM etc

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

One synth...
THEM'S FIGHTIN WORDS!!

But I can relay it's true what was said long ago about the SQ80 being a desert island synth (and no, I'm not talking about Synth Wizards who borrowed those words but they saw it similar as well).  A good old, get it done, digi-analog board with a small but musical/get it done sequencer thrown in = fun.

I am on the hunt to get a DV-800 back though. So sad that disappeared long ago.

Great timing for this clip to show up in my YT flow:

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro