Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano with all white keys

8 hours ago, Radagast said:

I didn’t find anything about this piano when searching this forum.

Sinhakken piano

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/piano/sinhakken-only-white-no-black-keys/

It’s would be very difficult to know where middle C is.

I've seen that one before. This is an instrument created just for the sake of "Why? because we can!"

Functionality wise, the Jazzist in me is crying..

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Oh my...  I was expecting to see raised "black keys" but all in white -- and not a FLAT WHITE keyboard...

WTF???

* Black keys matter *

Old No7

• Haha 3

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

43 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

Who has the disposable income to fritter away on tripe like this?

Indeed, I thought it might be a prototype or mock up, but its a full blown bloody grand piano ffs.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Cool idea, a grand piano that can only play pieces in C major with no modulations... all ten of them.

"Sinhakken All White. There is no place in life for C-minor mood!"

"Sinhakken All White. The ultimate piano for beginners. Only the easy white keys!"

"Sinhakken The White. You shall not pass, the Well-Tempered Clavier!" (var.: piano exam, jazz fusion, polka medley, etc.)

"Sinhakken All White. Ask your dealer for a personal 10-year no-interest black key buyout plan."

"Sinhakken All Black Flohwalzer edition. We finally got the Chopsticks right!"

47 minutes ago, DmitryKo said:

Cool idea, a grand piano that can only play pieces in C major with no modulations... all ten of them.

"Sinhakken All White. There is no place in life for C-minor mood!"

"Sinhakken All White. The ultimate piano for beginners. Only the easy white keys!"

"Sinhakken The White. You shall not pass, the Well-Tempered Clavier!" (var.: piano exam, jazz fusion, polka medley, etc.)

"Sinhakken All White. Ask your dealer for a personal 10-year no-interest black key buyout plan."

"Sinhakken All Black Flohwalzer edition. We finally got everything right!"

Well, one could play in the relative minor to some extent - A minor should more or less work on an all white keys piano. G major should also work as long as one likes a dominant 7th note. That's 3 key signatures!!!! :keynana:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

From my extensive two minutes of googling, it's a regular piano with a custom keybed. I saw a mention somewhere that it's a Steinway with the "Sinhakken" label being a decal. So, all 88 notes are strung, only the black notes are removed and the white keys made uniform. In all likelyhood the original Steinway action is off camera somewhere and can be slid back into the piano. Still, pretty silly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

A minor should more or less work on an all white keys piano. G major should also work as long as one likes a dominant 7th note

Only the relatively rare natural A minor, but not the more common harmonic and melodic modes, and G major is limited to the Myxolidian mode.  

52 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

the original Steinway action is off camera somewhere and can be slid back into the piano... Still, pretty silly

Makes sense. Get a $150,000 Steinway piano, install custom white-only keys, and demo maybe five easy tunes like "Chopsticks" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and maybe other children's pieces. I'm pretty sure a lot of lawyers will be happy to buy this kind of dining room furniture at a hefty premium. 

I'm really worried for all the Flohwalzer players though - this piece is impossible to transpose into white-only keys, so there shoud be an all-black key edition of that piano! That should look double-silly too.

3 hours ago, CHarrell said:

I don't know the historical reason for black keys on keyboard instruments

You mean, historical reasons for white keys😁 

PS. The seven long 'natural' keys are built around the seven notes of the C major scale, which wer the most used keys when temperaments were unequal; the remaining five short 'sharp' keys were secondary. There were also alternate designs where Bb and B each had their own iong key, so there were 8 long keys and 4 short keys; or enharmonic keyaboards with split key halves tuned to  G# / Ab and D# / Eb, which used to be separate tones

The emerging 'pianoforte' / 'fortepiano' retained the standard 7-5 layout of the harpsichord, though twelve-tone equal temperament has no concept of 'primary' and 'secondary' tones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_keyboard

3 hours ago, DmitryKo said:

Only the relatively rare natural A minor, but not the more common harmonic and melodic modes, and G major is limited to the Myxolidian mode.  

True, but 3 keys is certainly better than 1, no? Also, one could play C - Am - F -G, classic chord formula for literally thousands of songs. 

That's about as far as I got with keyboards, guitar spoke to me and I flipped over to that. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

23 hours ago, Radagast said:

It’s would be very difficult to know where middle C is.

hah...Id like it to be harder and use all reverse key colours. So all white keys are black.

just like on the rare Poly 800 reverse colour key

I remember that coming out and being shocked at modern people using it onstage as i previously did with my Vox Jaguar. At least both had white flats/sharps as reference points