Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best band you've never heard of

If I never heard of them, how would I know they're the best band I never heard of?

:classic_cool:

OK...I'm not sure what y'all have or haven't heard of or into, but some lesser known bands I'd advise checking out if not (FYI they tend to be general rock/jazz/funk/prog):

Sea Level

Dixie Dregs

Passport

Nektar

Starcastle

Ozrick Tentacles 
Cassiopia

• Like 2

I was up late watching TV with my dad to one what would be called a Talk Show today. They said that Frank Zappa was going to be on talking about modern notation ideas and his band would stage a "Freak Out" on the show.    As a young guitar player my interest was peaked.    Zappa came on looking bizarre and showing weird ideas for notation. Then after the break the Mothers of Invention staged a Freak Out playing and with Vito and others from the Hollywood scene jumping all over and tearing up a couch.   The host of the show was sitting there bug eyed, I was so excited by the music and whole experience.    I went to the record store the next day and bought the the Mothers of Invention Freak Out album and became a long time fan of the Mothers.   

• Like 3

For the past few years I have been obsessed with this short lived rock band called Damone, who were from the early 2000s and had regional success in the northeast United States. Their lead singer, Noelle Leblanc, has a very gothic fashion style, and she possesses a punk flavored croon and some excellent rhythm guitar.

9 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

Two of the best bands you never heard that are long past gone:

The Fabulous Rhinestones

Bangor Flying Circus

One still existent band that isn't totally unknown but a lot more people need to hear them:

Santa Fe & the Fat City Horns

I remember Bangor Flying Circus quite a band.  They played the Whiskey and their drummer as great and everyone in Hollywood was talking about him..   A couple weeks later Buddy Rich was headlining at the Whiskey and they got Bangor Flying Circus to be the opening act.   So a bit of a battle of the drummers.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, S_Gould said:

I don't recall anyone here mentioning them (& I had forgotten about them myself for a couple decades), but it seems like a lot of you guys would like them:

Definitely check out their other tracks, if you like this one.

How about mentioning the name of the group while you’re at it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Never heard of them, but yeah, they're pretty damn good!   Me likey.   What year was this?  I'm guessing somewhere in the 70's?

If you're talking about Bangor Flying Circus they were 1967-1969.     The keyboard player was in Rufus at one point.  

14 hours ago, Stokely said:

Ozric Tentacles was one of my favorites.  Tremendous synth tones.

Kind of in the obscure dept, these guys are really good (no keys though ) :)   Big Wreck, seen here at a live show.  

BIG WRECK. Going to see them this fall. Saw them a couple years ago and I swear there weren't more than 300 people in the crowd.  Really a killer group and every bit as good live. Just super high fidelity.  They all met at the Berkley School so they know all the chords and modes!

BTW, the guitar player with the double kneck guitar was one of the founding members and he has since passed away from cancer. The bald guitar player has also retired and been replaced by of course another monster player.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I honestly don't know all that much about Big Wreck, I saw Ian the bandleader on an Anderton's guitar video--they were all talking about how excited they were, I was like "who is this guy?"  Well, he proceeded to display incredible mastery of the instrument and that put him on my radar.  I didn't know he could sing that well at the time, and I really like the subtle "let's go to a different chord than you think we will" writing.   King's X is another one of my favorites, and they do that too--they were a bigger band but sadly never got quite the acclaim I thought they should have.

Honestly 300 people watching a band that isn't using tracks sounds like a show I'd go see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Docbop said:

If you're talking about Bangor Flying Circus they were 1967-1969.     The keyboard player was in Rufus at one point.  

I was talking about the OP's video "Your City is Falling" by IF.   Pretty good sounding.  Sounded 70's-ish to me.   I had never heard of IF.  I looked them up - they were an English band I think, from early 70's, just as I thought.

They are rarely, if not never heard, mentioned around here. Hogarth fronted Marillion may be on their billionth album and they are the greatest success story of a band utilizing the internet to thrive. I also liked Fish fronted Marillion but they have been two different bands and the Hogarth iteration continues to produce good music.

• Like 1

My fondest wish for a band was that The Honeydogs from Minneapolis would have had the success they deserved.    Ambitious, expertly written and arranged Beatlesque rock.  Their album "10,000 Years" is one of my all-time favs.  (also on Aimee Mann's list of must-have records).  

And a live, in-studio radio performance from a later record:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

This is more of a "best singer you never heard of" post, but I fell in love with Lauren's voice after finding her on Bandmix when I was searching for a vocalist. Her website is gone, so I had to use the Wayback Machine to provide a link to her songs. I believe she co-wrote them with producer/keyboardist Phil Minardi out of St. Louis.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190510094233/https://www.vialauren.com/voice-work/

My personal favorites are "Pennies in the Water", "Changin' ", and "Broken Toys".

Interestingly, one of her songs ("All You Will Need")  made the finals of American Idol's songwriting contest during Season 7. (Apparently they ran this contest twice -- in Seasons 6 & 7.)  https://www.realitytvworld.com/news/fox-reveals-american-idol-top-20-songwriting-competition-songs-6923.php

There was a killer band in the late 1970s called 'Creed', well before the post-grunge band of the 1990s. Great lead vocalist. I still have this album on cassette somewhere:

Creed - Creed Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic

image.jpg.4b08ecdd33086b17c1a803b3576a1dd0.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I have that Creed album on vinyl. I went to my local record shop back in the day and it was playing. I liked what I was hearing so I bought it. But much like the clothes you buy at the store that you hate when you try them on at home, I played the album when I got home and wondered what the hell I was thinking. So now I own a once-played mint copy of the "original" Creed. :classic_biggrin:

Here's one... I went to my favorite club I forget who was headliner was but this band Hourglass opened the show.   Cool Soul sound, but with a bit more grit thanks to their guitar player.    The Hourglass was the band Duane and Greg Allman had before the Allman Brothers.   They did two Hourglass albums and had a couple songs that made the charts in L.A.