Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wishing for a bare-bones/no-frills digital piano

I've been looking to upgrade my P121 for a couple of years but not finding what I'm looking for.

I want a DP that I can just switch on and play. I need one piano sound, nothing else. No variations, no cheezy strings, no acoustic bass splits.

The same functionality as a real acoustic piano, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want a control panel or a screen.  I don't want app integration, bluetooth, backing tracks, song recorders or any other gimmicks/features.

Get rid of all that crap.

My only priorities are a great piano sound and action, with good loudspeakers and a nice clean well-built and attractive cabinet.

Why does no such instrument exist?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Oh, I do realise that there are some very expensive "hybrid" pianos that may fulfill these requirements, but then it is usually cheaper to buy an actual real acoustic.

I'm talking about the more affordable digital pianos, from Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Casio etc. Or even the slab DPs, there is nothing that appeals to me.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I like my P-515 a lot. While in Florida for the winter months it's what I practice on. I just turn it on a play.

The speakers are good enough for my needs. I could hook up my RFC TT08As or even the iLoud Micro monitors -- which also sound better than the internal speakers -- but I don't because I'm content with the sound. The action and finger-to-ear connection is pretty realistic and comfortable. When I get back to NY in the Spring (i.e., very soon!) and am reunited with my Yamaha C3 acoustic it feels like I never left. The transition is seamless. 

• Like 1

Korg D1. Great keybed (same as top end machines such as Kronos and Grandstage). 30 sounds but most reviews say the first piano sound on power up is the stand out sound. No screen, just a LED segment numbers. Admittedly no speakers, but just about any cheap powered speakers would be better than most integrated ones?

Despite having their top end 88 note RH3 keybed, it’s really quite cheap and road worthy as well as manageable at 16kg. Korg sell refurbished for £419 with full warranty.

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 minute ago, Radagast said:

Korg Liano.  It has the Fazioli piano sample.  13lbs. $329.00.

Likewise the B2 is often seen on Marketplace for around the £200 mark. Sadly, neither are weighted keybeds, but that’s how they stay light and cheap.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

I've been looking to upgrade my P121 for a couple of years but not finding what I'm looking for.

How about a P-125?  I believe that is the same as what you have now except it has 88 keys.

With that said, I bought and promptly returned a P-125 because I didn't like any of the other sounds besides the regular Grand piano sound (not that it has all that many to begin with).

1 minute ago, stoken6 said:

What is your budget Woody? And what aren't you getting from the P121?

Dave Ferris's P515 and a Kawai MP7 or MP11 would be my choices in the "premium, but not outrageous" price bracket.

Cheers, Mike.

No speakers on the 11 on the 7 or 11.  So one more thing to hook up and turn on. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Likewise the B2 is often seen on Marketplace for around the £200 mark. Sadly, neither are weighted keybeds, but that’s how they stay light and cheap.

Korg B2 has a weighted (hammer action) keyboard. You may be thinking of the B2N. But the B2 comes awfully close to what the OP is looking for. It's not the best action, but it's not the worst.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I second the D1,

it's basically a Korg RH3 keybed in a solid wooden box. The only thing is because it's a stage piano, it doesn't have built in speakers, which you mentioned.

I like its square lines, as the style reminds me of the keyboard controllers of the 1970's modular synthesizer "walls".

To me it has a great action feel, and is improved over the original keybed in the Kronos, and very quiet. It so basic though...no controller wheels, no aftertouch, no release velocity, just attack velocity, but quite responsive, (especially compared to Yamaha actions from my experience). No USB, just 5 pin MIDI. Press the power button, and within about 3 seconds, you're good to go.

• Like 3

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Yamaha DGX-670 also has sampled CFX grand but costs less than the P515.   Just pretend its other features don't exist, like I did with my old cheap DGX

Kawai ES-120 is def. on my own radar.   Looks pretty bare bones to me, other than a basic drum machine/fancy metronome depending on how you look at it.

If “konaboy” needs our help in finding the right gear, we are in trouble!!!

I suggest he have a cup of tea prior to doing any manual work…

Roland RP 107 looks like “just a piano” although haven’t tried it so cant speak for the action on it. We have a Yamaha P155 in the studio and while its has a few frills, its “turn on and play piano” sound is awesome, as is the key action. so it might do the trick.

🥸

PEACE

• Haha 1

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

53 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Technics SX-P30 is still the coolest. Circa 1998 sure but sleek. No buttons at all on the panel. 

It knocked me out when introduced and it heralded in the sleek and lighter pianos long before Casio caught on to it.

Although it was 18kg which doesnt sound light now it was the slimest and lightest digital piano going back then.

I wanted one but delayed until years later Casio introduced the lightest.

But it was Technics that heralded in this new era and doesnt get any recognition for it.

Technics should have stayed at keyboards as they had very innovative designs in this piano, in the WSa1 synth and the KN2000 (possibly first with a large screen) both of which I have. But are in storage.

I always give Cudos to Technics an under admired innovator.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, konaboy said:

The same functionality as a real acoustic piano, nothing more, nothing less.

My only priorities are a great piano sound and action, with good loudspeakers and a nice clean well-built and attractive cabinet.

Get an upright acoustic piano?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

3 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Technics SX-P30 is still the coolest. Circa 1998 sure but sleek. No buttons at all on the panel. The Steinway sample is a little brisk and dated but just dial back the treble on your speakers of choice. 

Ah yes, my first proper weighted action, after years of semi synth actions. I loved the way the connections were all on the left hand end. It made for a good controller, as it could mount flush against a desk with no leads coming out the back, and the endcaps had molded handles with the connectors recessed for carrying. The action was pretty good for it's day, and the Steinway samples were reminiscent of some of Kurzweil's piano back in the late 80's.

P1030729.JPG

IMG_1286.jpg

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

12 hours ago, konaboy said:

Why does no such instrument exist?

Because manufacturers make money by appealing to the widest possible customer base at the lowest possible cost.  

I will say I think I have sort of the Rhodes equivalent of that in the Crumar Seventeen.  It has non-Rhodes sounds but they’re not very good, so in general I just turn it on and play the Rhodes setting I’ve saved to the first preset.  Lack of options can be artistically liberating.  

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

2 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

IMG_1286.jpg

Great advert demostrating the actual sveltness of this keyboard though some would complain about the advert sexist approach the actual piano looks the steathiest and sveltest piano ever built. Photograph it anyway you like and you cant say it doesnt look good. And at the time was considered a very nice keyboard to play.

The modern slimline casio looks good but doesnt look as good as this keyboard. I cant argue the slimline casio doesnt look good but this piano has never been beat in looks department. With the goods to back up the looks

When it came out in Sydney it hit the market like a whirlwind as did the KN2000. Those were the days

• Like 3

I think Woody (and indeed anyone nowadays) might struggle with 16 note polyphony though (32 mono)...and 17kg with just two sounds (and a hidden Rhodes). Not an easy sell in 2023.

35 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I think Woody (and indeed anyone nowadays) might struggle with 16 note polyphony though (32 mono)...and 17kg with just two sounds (and a hidden Rhodes). Not an easy sell in 2023.

Sure, but a modern equivalent could be cool.

Same design. Perhaps add wooden end caps. Improved keyboard action and piano sample. 88 note polyphony. (Or 128/256, whatever)

8 sounds?

- German Grand

- Japanese Grand

- Upright

- Rhodes

- Wurlitzer 

- DX7

- Harpsichord

- Clav 

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

14 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Sure, but a modern equivalent could be cool.

Same design. Perhaps add wooden end caps. Improved keyboard action and piano sample. 88 note polyphony. (Or 128/256, whatever)

8 sounds?

- German Grand

- Japanese Grand

- Upright

- Rhodes

- Wurlitzer 

- DX7

- Harpsichord

- Clav 

That does sound quite a bit like the Korg D1 and visually its like the Technics (slab style). You also have the benefit of that RH3 keybed, 120 note poly and 30 sounds. Its also interesting that, although it doesn't have the sound engines from Kronos'Grandstage, it does use more than one oscillator for some sounds with a maximum polyphony of 120 notes. This means the Concert Piano will effectively be 40 notes, but its a very rich sound. I assume layering that Piano with, say a string might even reduce it to 24 notes; 120 max divided by oscillators used (3+2)?

I was eyeing up a D1 primarily as a master board to drive the pianos from YC so it wouldn't be a concern for me 🙂

image.thumb.png.4752de1dd63d56ec555bb422b8850b0e.png

7b47a6b3f5326ed8bae8f14f6073bb27_pc.jpg

429b672269140799ddfb00440a4e12e2_pc.jpg

Woody also seems to like white keyboards and the D1 also comes in white. I think he even has a similar stand 😉

image.thumb.png.8dabb05474ec1f75b47f60a0d4b7efd5.png