Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Burt Bacharach

counterpoint

Bummer.  Was probably way more influential on me than I ever realized; my Mom would play his recordings (on LP and 8 track!)  and associated acts (e.g. Dionne Warwick) when I was a kid.  A master of sophistication without sacrificing hooks.

• Love 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Damn.  I saw him on tour with Elvis Costello years ago at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, DC.   What a great show and memorable evening.   Another very talented muso joins the big band in the sky… RIP Mr Bacharach

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

It's interesting in the early 70's I saw my older cousins husband playing : 'Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head' on the piano and that influenced me to start playing.  It's still a vivid memory all these years later.

• Love 2

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The man brilliantly used jazz harmony, orchestration and different rhythms to compose Pop music. His body of work speaks for itself.  Thanks for the music.  RIP Mr. Burt Bacharach.😎

• Like 3
  • Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

An enormous talent. Saw him live twice just before Covid. He was great, coming up on 90 at that point. It's like a time machine for me going back to the late 60's in front of my parents stereo. Timeless music, sophisticated yet poppy. Great arrangements, wonderful lyrics from Hal David....hard to argue when even the Beatles cover you. 

Amazing how many of hits were hits with different artists..like the same song. 

And the Elvis Costello album with him was awesome. Loved this song especially..

• Like 4

Coming from another perspective.  When I was young and into Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Zeppelin... Burt Bacharach was kinda like the enemy.  I heard those songs and rebelled against them, much too safe, corporate, the "suits" music.

Now.. much much later and a teensy bit more mature, appreciate the depth and breadth of BB and other similar artists.  And he had Angie Dickinson at the peak of her hotness, gotta respect that.  Rest in peace Burt Bacharach.

• Like 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

One of the greatest songwriters. RIP Mr. Bacharach.

As a kid in the 60's I was into rock and his music was too pop and soft for me. But because my aunt was a huge Dionne Warwick fan I heard his music a lot during my younger years. As I got older I began to appreciate the awesomeness of his compositions. And then when my jazz heros played his music it knocked me out. 

I love Randy Johnston's recording of Burt Bacharach's A House Is Not a Home with Joey DeFrancesco on organ. I've been working on this song in recent years and have yet to get a full grasp of it. Of course, Joey nailed it. There's some non-obvious / non-cliche twists and turns. Really brilliant songwriting!

Another one of my music heros moves on. But, what a life!  And staying active 94 years then passing from natural causes; we all should be so fortunate.  Burt Bacharach's writing, playing and production has figured prominently in my life's soundtrack - from 'Butch Cassidy' onward, and possibly before that...

Thanks for the music, Mr. Bacharach. Godspeed!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

He ranks among the greatest American songwriters… Jimmy Webb, Carole King, Brian Wilson,  Billy Joel… I saw him a few years ago at Disney Hall. Remarkable. He will be missed. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

He reached me at a young age. Growing up he'd be on AM radio along with the Kinks, Stones, Beatles, Motown, Stax, etc. I'd buy it all. It's amazing how he could use all that harmony and not be too hip for the room. I guess he just did it better than the rest of us. RIP, Maestro and thanks for the inspiration for years to come.

My humble tribute:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That's a great one! Enjoyed hearing Randy's, as well. He's an old friend, but I hadn't heard that one. I met Randy when he was maybe 16 and he was already that good. A friend turned me on the a lp of McCoy playing Burt yesterday. Great stuff on there!

• Like 1

He studied under Darius Milhaud, one of my ten favorite composers (as did Dave Brubeck). Not sure I knew that before!

• Like 3

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager