Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please, share videos where the keyboard player is clearly seen and heard

Jose EB5AGV

I think it would be interesting to have a thread where there is a compilation of videos, being yours or not, where the keyboard player is seen (if possible, not just a brief moment) and is also heard. I am not just looking for virtuoso playing (but any video which has the commented properties will be welcomed πŸ‘πŸ»). In fact, mostly the opposite, as if playing is too fast and / or complex, it may be harder to follow πŸ˜…

Β 

The aim is educational, to learn both what to play and also to discern key parts from others. At least to me that is sometimes hard to do without a visual reference.

Β 

Sorry if you find this thread unsuitable / boring / too basic πŸ™πŸ»

Β 

Thanks!

Β 

Jose

Ummm....be careful what you wish for.....

Β 

I recently discovered that the keyboard player for a local Dead cover band does a semi-regular live stream of himself playing keys and singing.Β  Here:

Β 

Skip forward to 10:00 to get right to the playing.

Β 

I have to say I am sort of impressed that he does this.Β  I would find it a big challenge to come up with an hour's worth of material I would be willing to play live in a solo setting.

• Like 3

Β 

An edited (for semi-brevity) clip from a rare (for me) gig leading my own trio,Β about 5 years ago. A couple sax players came by & sat in.Β I'm not seen that much but you can hear me - not sure if that's a good thing or not! πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

In fact, mostly the opposite, as if playing is too fast and / or complex, it may be harder to follow πŸ˜…

Β 

Don't try to follow it! My standard disclaimer applies - "warning - jazz!" πŸ™‚Β Β I'm also not too happy with my technique that's on display here, that's for sure. Still working on it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sherry said:

This guy is incredible.

Β 

How ironic we have this monster keyboard player shown in this video and on this thread in particular, yet, look at all the patrons in the first row. ALL of them constantly have their eyes fixed on the other side of the stage - big surprise - on the guitarist! What a shameβ€¦πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S, Β Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

11 hours ago, hookie said:

How ironic we have this monster keyboard player shown in this video and on this thread in particular, yet, look at all the patrons in the first row. ALL of them constantly have their eyes fixed on the other side of the stage - big surprise - on the guitarist! What a shameβ€¦πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Yes, that got also my attention... What else is so interesting to watch?. I guess people think most of the music comes from the other band members. Oh well...

I've taken to clipping my phone to a nearby speaker stand/furniture and recording the gig from my PoV. I find it a nice memento of the gig, plus there's always something useful to take away and learn from the expereince.

Β 

Here's an example of playing one of the greatest keyboard-led songs in the canon, but in the guitar's key, with the guitar playing the iconic riff, leaving me to cover the auxiliary keys part and horns. Sorry about the sync issues...

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

Β 

Yes, that got also my attention... What else is so interesting to watch?. I guess people think most of the music comes from the other band members. Oh well...

Β 

Simple solution tour as a trio,Β  dress like Connie Han, and play with a lot of fire.Β  Β  Β 

Β 

FWIWΒ  Β I'm listened to Connie in interviews and she really knows her stuff about Jazz piano and the great'sΒ she's listened to and studied.Β  Β She's the real deal.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bill Evans in 1979 (filmed for TV in a 125 seat club).Β Β Β  About as clear and close up as you can get.Β  Including clear and close up as you can get of a young Marc Johnson.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

JΒ  aΒ  zΒ  zΒ Β  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6Β | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

if you're just looking to learn, this guy is a wealth of good info. hundreds of videos. many styles

Β 

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianFuchsBlues/videos

Β 

Β 

Β 

Thanks!.Β  Yes, I am a longtime subscriber of his channel, but didn't give it the attention it deserves.

Β 

Jose