Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC series firmware V1.2 update

rogs

It's been quite a long time coming, but the much anticipated YC series firmware update is now out .. See here: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yc61_yc73_yc88_os.html

It seems as if they've listened to their customer complaints about the poor rotary effect, and have offered an additional one.. called 'Studio' 

Only listened to a few short clips so far, but it does seem to be quite an improvement!    Time to update and check it out for myself! :)

Looks like some interesting new 'tweaks' on the FM organs side as well....

• Like 5
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

V1.10 to V1.20

New features

A new rotary speaker effect has been added.

New FM organ types have been added.

A new setting “FM Color Type” has been added to the “Drawbar Color” setting.

Three EQs have been added to the effect types.

A new setting “Touch Sensitivity” has been added to the Settings.

The locations in the menu of “EG Control” and “Filter Control” have been changed.

New Live Set Sounds have been added.

New Voices have been added.

Fixed problems

Fixed minor problems.

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Rotary was the issue with the most vocal complaints, so hopefully this will address that.

I wonder if the additional EQ options may help the rotary situation as well, since one of the complaints on the existing rotary was about some odd resonant frequencies, which you might now be able to dial down. Either way, this also somewhat addresses a CP feature which (surprisingly?) still hasn't made its way to the YC, the ability to save different EQ settings with different Live Sets. (Maybe there was some inherent inability to implement that particular CP feature in the YC architecture.)

The velocity curve controls are a welcome carryover from what was added to the last CP update.

The new FM organ parameters are interesting, allowing for "nontraditional" organ tones, and especially the last one which appears to turn it into something of a basic programmable FM synth.

There's lots of nice ideas on ideascale that would have been nice to see, but there's enough here to be significant. I wonder whether or not there will be more YC updates to come.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Rotary was the issue with the most vocal complaints, so hopefully this will address that.

I wonder if the additional EQ options may help the rotary situation as well, since one of the complaints on the existing rotary was about some odd resonant frequencies, which you might now be able to dial down. Either way, this also somewhat addresses a CP feature which (surprisingly?) still hasn't made its way to the YC, the ability to save different EQ settings with different Live Sets. (Maybe there was some inherent inability to implement that particular CP feature in the YC architecture.)

The velocity curve controls are a welcome carryover from what was added to the last CP update.

The new FM organ parameters are interesting, allowing for "nontraditional" organ tones, and especially the last one which appears to turn it into something of a basic programmable FM synth.

There's lots of nice ideas on ideascale that would have been nice to see, but there's enough here to be significant. I wonder whether or not there will be more YC updates to come.

Agreed. And I don’t believe Yamaha is done here.  The new CP/YC line is a big jump for them in design and features.  They needed an instrument to compete with Nord, Dexibell and others scratching at their market and that’s what they’re doing. 

Yep, according to the musicians guide the new FM organ sections turn it into a basic, mini FM synth. Being able to change the individual drawbar colours means you can now differentiate between which are carriers and modulators. 

Agree with above posters in that the short clips of the new rotary does make it sound much better. Fairly significant update that will surely burn into some of the competition, especially for those who were holding off on or had dismissed the YC because of the rotary. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

If they add the newest piano samples from the CP (felt piano, Hamburg, Bosendorfer), I'll be much tempted in a YC73/88 which will then become a very viable Nord Stage alternative now with the added FM-synth-like functionality.

I'm wondering if they can also add a basic virtual-analog-lilke mono-synth functionality too. Like, assign a single saw and pulse osc mix to two of the sliders, assign basic EG, filter, portamento, detune to the rest of the sliders. Maybe add a few of those types of patches that will differ in the types of oscillators, the octave difference between them, etc.

Really happy to see the new rotary in the 1.2 update. Looking forward to trying that out later today. 
The idea of adding basic synth controls with the drawbars would be a great feature.

Would have loved to have the Hamburg and felt piano on the YC but not sure if we’ll see this as the CP range is for piano. Also, I was really hoping we would have had the missing clavinet pickups added. 

The more I look at the drawbar section of the YC, the more I think it can perfectly be reused for emulating a Minimoog, not exactly but closely:

Assume we have two oscillators. We will have a few different models, e.g. one with two saw waves, one with a saw and a pulse, etc. Then for the 9 sliders:

1. Osc 2 level (no need for separate osc1 level)

2. Osc2 detune

3. Portamento time

4. Filter cutoff

5. Filter resonance

6. Attack

7. Decay

8. Sustain

9. Env amount

Envelope will be shared between filter and amp.

The vibrato/chorus section will become LFO, the various LED combinations will become fixed LFO rates. LFO amount will be linked to the modulation-stick. The on/off button will switch between triangle and square LFO shape.

The percussion section buttons can be used for stuff like:

- OSC 2 octave: +1, -1, -2

- LFO mod: osc pitch, filter, both

- Keyboard tracking: 1/3, 2/3, full

- Reuse decay for release: on/off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

The more I look at the drawbar section of the YC, the more I think it can perfectly be reused for emulating a Minimoog, not exactly but closely:

Assume we have two oscillators. We will have a few different models, e.g. one with two saw waves, one with a saw and a pulse, etc. Then for the 9 sliders:

1. Osc 2 level (no need for separate osc1 level)

2. Osc2 detune

3. Portamento time

4. Filter cutoff

5. Filter resonance

6. Attack

7. Decay

8. Sustain

9. Env amount

Envelope will be shared between filter and amp.

The vibrato/chorus section will become LFO, the various LED combinations will become fixed LFO rates. LFO amount will be linked to the modulation-stick. The on/off button will switch between triangle and square LFO shape.

The percussion section buttons can be used for stuff like:

- OSC 2 octave: +1, -1, -2

- LFO mod: osc pitch, filter, both

- Keyboard tracking: 1/3, 2/3, full

- Reuse decay for release: on/off

This would be great if Yamaha were to add this in a future update!

9 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Well at the bottom if the YC OS v1.2 in the Updates page on the Yamaha site it says :-

“If you have an idea for a new sound or feature for our next update, please let us know!” 

This is followed by a link to their IdeaScale site so I am inclined to think there will be more future updates.

Well my faith in humanity is partially restored now that I know Yamaha can, given enough time, fix a bad leslie simulation effect.  I think this does make the YC a legitimate competitor with the best clones.  The lack of high trigger (which was not and perhaps cannot be "fixed") is not so much a show stopper as a head scratcher.  One would haver to be pretty ignorant of how a Hammond plays to not know that's part of the simulation equation.  While lack of high trigger doesn't have to stop you from playing badass organ player, you will always be aware that you could be just a bit more badass if you had it.

My feeling about the YC is that even if it's not the best clone, it might be the best package of clones and other sounds.  But that reflects my preference for Yamaha pianos.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I sold my YC61 because of the dismal rotary.  I would love to hear the improved rotary without distortion or chorus vibrato on. They never seem to demo it without all of that stuff on and it always looks like they're hiding something.  If someone could share a sound file of the YC with rotary only on the organ I'd love to hear it. It sounds like it might be much better but it's hard to tell in their video. If it's as good as I hope it is, I may spring for a YC73.

• Like 1

I decided not to get a YC61 a couple years ago, and got the fancy red one with the synth.   I haven't heard any of the new rotary fixes yet, but assuming they don't suck...

The YC61 and YC73 offer a lot of reasons to buy one over the Electro 6D 61 and 73 models and at a slightly better price point.

Nice to see Yamaha improving an existing product with this update.  I like the black CP and YC products that Yamaha is building.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

This is really promising to hear about the Leslie sim updates on the YC.

I have been thinking of getting a NE6 with 61 keys as an uber portable option for rehearsals and stuff...I may consider the YC61 just to change things up a bit. I was at one point going to work on a rig that would be a CP73 + Voce V5 I have laying around collecting dust. If they've actually fixed the sim on the YC, that would be a cool contender. Hmm.

1 minute ago, eric said:

This is really promising to hear about the Leslie sim updates on the YC.

I have been thinking of getting a NE6 with 61 keys as an uber portable option for rehearsals and stuff...I may consider the YC61 just to change things up a bit. I was at one point going to work on a rig that would be a CP73 + Voce V5 I have laying around collecting dust. If they've actually fixed the sim on the YC, that would be a cool contender. Hmm.

Yeah a YC73 and some kind of rack module (like an integra-7) for synth sounds could be a great rig, and quite compact as well.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

12 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

Yeah a YC73 and some kind of rack module (like an integra-7) for synth sounds could be a great rig, and quite compact as well.

I would partner a YC73 with an synth-weighted board rather than a module. Yamaha MX49 would do the trick, and highly compact as well, but there are plenty of other choices.

Cheers, Mike.

I think a lot of the comments about piano/synth sounds are a bit far ahead just now. They’ve finally released the one main upgrade everyone has been asking them to release for two years (plus the quasi-FM synth stuff people like myself clambered for) and already I’m seeing comments on multiple forums focusing on what they’ve NOT done. 

This update seems to have finally fixed the organ part of their organ centric board, and by the sounds of it has upped its game so that it can now properly contend with the big boys in the all-in-one-clonewheel category. Let’s give Yamaha credit where credit is due, and see how people respond to this update before talking about any more features we’d like to see - which we will no doubt get, if recent product update history is anything to go by.

For many who were hesitant due to the weak organ, this thing is now once again a very viable all in one gigging board. Anything else needed at this point can probably be added by a phone and a single USB cable. 

• Like 3

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

11 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I would partner a YC73 with an synth-weighted board rather than a module. Yamaha MX49 would do the trick, and highly compact as well, but there are plenty of other choices.

Cheers, Mike.

Not to be pedantic, but a nice complement to the YC73 might be a....Nord Lead...or similar.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Anything else needed at this point can probably be added by a phone and a single USB cable.

Well, if it's a phone, it can also be a laptop. And if it's a laptop, then the board can be just a MIDI controller.

I've seen Yamaha being very active adding features and sounds to the MODX, CP and YC which is fantastic, they listened to their users and they haven't abandoned their products. Also, it means they have designed those products to be platforms, not just final products to move on with the next one. These instruments are apparently designed to be extensible and maintainable in the long term, i.e. these great firmware updates are not some bug-fixes but are rather additional features, so I find it natural that we use these updates as justification to suggest even more great features and additions. If they don't find those ideas good, then they just won't implement it.

I've never understood why some people are opposed to other users' suggestions. It's as though you yourself will get hurt in some way. Or you think Yamaha are adding those new features out of some extraordinary good will and would call us ungrateful if we suggest more features. Really can't get it...

2 hours ago, kenheeter said:

I sold my YC61 because of the dismal rotary.  I would love to hear the improved rotary without distortion or chorus vibrato on. They never seem to demo it without all of that stuff on and it always looks like they're hiding something.  If someone could share a sound file of the YC with rotary only on the organ I'd love to hear it. It sounds like it might be much better but it's hard to tell in their video. If it's as good as I hope it is, I may spring for a YC73.

I've posted a file with a single chord - played with no vibrato or chorus - which switches between the original ('classic') rotary voice and the new 'studio' setting  - and then back again to the 'classic'. Both fast and slow.

Mp3 file is HERE

The change over to 'Studio'  - during a fast setting - was done in real time 'on the fly', just by rotating the switch between the 2  voice settings.  No other changes at all.

It's quite an improvement, IMHO ! :)

• Like 4
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

8 minutes ago, rogs said:

I've posted a file with a single chord - played with no vibrato or chorus - which switches between the original ('classic') rotary voice and the new 'studio' setting  - and then back again to the 'classic'. Both fast and slow.

Mp3 file is HERE

The change over to 'Studio'  - during a fast setting - was done in real time 'on the fly', just by rotating the switch between the 2  voice settings.  No other changes at all.

It's quite an improvement, IMHO ! :)

Agreed. Quite and improvement.