Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC series firmware V1.2 update

rogs

1 hour ago, Sunlight2 said:

I was a little surprised by the weight of the Y73 compared to the Electro 6D 73 SW...it felt much heavier. Probably due to the better keybed.

Yeah, the YC73 has a hammer action, so its travel weight (if that's what you're talking about) is closer to the hammer action version of the Nord, i.e. the Electro 6HP. (Still heavier, though.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a YC61 and I freaking love it! The form factor is fantastic for rehearsals and gigs where I don’t need weighted action (I got a YC88 for that) and I’m very happy with how expressive the pianos and EPs are. The keyboard is quite inspiring to play.  

I’m a hardcore organist, so the organ section is nothing I’d ever use in a halfway important gig situation, especially since the trigger point is so low. But for everything else, this board is definitely a “Nord Killer!”

• Like 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I actually wasn't so bothered by the low trigger point on the YC61. High trigger is nice, but not being the hardcore organist you are, not something I necessarily find essential... I've played plenty of organ with low trigger point (as have, for that matter, probably most players who have ever used a VST/app, considering how few keyboards send high trigger over MIDI). What bothered me more (and what I found more unusual) is that the keys have a low release point! But that might just be me...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

21 hours ago, Mitch Towne said:

I recently purchased a YC61 and I freaking love it! The form factor is fantastic for rehearsals and gigs where I don’t need weighted action (I got a YC88 for that) and I’m very happy with how expressive the pianos and EPs are. The keyboard is quite inspiring to play.  

I’m a hardcore organist, so the organ section is nothing I’d ever use in a halfway important gig situation, especially since the trigger point is so low. But for everything else, this board is definitely a “Nord Killer!”

Mitch - I was just wondering if your Yamaha YC's were replacing your Crumar Seven for Rhodes.  You've made some comments that the YC has some good Rhodes effects and I thing some of the Rhodes are really good, too.  I'm just wondering if you would put the Yamaha up against the Crumar Seven for gigging?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

21 hours ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Mitch - I was just wondering if your Yamaha YC's were replacing your Crumar Seven for Rhodes.  You've made some comments that the YC has some good Rhodes effects and I thing some of the Rhodes are really good, too.  I'm just wondering if you would put the Yamaha up against the Crumar Seven for gigging?

I am still of the belief that the Crumar Seven Rhodes is a cut above all others. It is soooo realistic in how it sounds and feels to me. The YC is great but I never get that feeling of suspended disbelief that I get from the Seven. However, the YC EPs are better then the CP EPs due to the different amp sims, which is why I traded my CP88 for a YC88

The YC pianos are far superior to the Seven, so the YC is obviously the better all-around gigging board. But when I just need a good Rhodes, the Seven is the easy choice. (And the Seven is a lot lighter too.)

• Thanks 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

2 minutes ago, Mitch Towne said:

I am still of the belief that the Crumar Seven Rhodes is a cut above all others. It is soooo realistic in how it sounds and feels to me. The YC is great but I never get that feeling of suspended disbelief that I get from the Seven. However, the YC EPs are better then the CP EPs due to the different amp sims, which is why I traded my CP88 for a YC88

The YC pianos are far superior to the Seven, so the YC is obviously the better all-around gigging board. But when I just need a good Rhodes, the Seven is the easy choice. (And the Seven is a lot lighter too.)

Since part of why you prefer the Seven is how it feels, I wonder what you'd think of the YC73, which is the YC88 except with an action that is probably more similar to the action of the Seven (and also likewise a lot lighter than the YC88). Have you ever had a chance to play one?

5 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Since part of why you prefer the Seven is how it feels, I wonder what you'd think of the YC73, which is the YC88 except with an action that is probably more similar to the action of the Seven (and also likewise a lot lighter than the YC88). Have you ever had a chance to play one?

I haven’t. I’ll try to find one. But it’s mostly the sound of the Seven first. The usually-suboptimal action of the TP100 is actually fantastic with the Crumar virtually modeled Rhodes. 😂

Has anyone done any extensive tweaking of the “touch sensitivity” setting? I still have mine set at the factory setting with the “Hard” touch selected for all of my pianos and Rhodes sounds. What am I missing?

For the global "Touch Curve", I've got it at normal (after playing around a little).

But then for each live set under settings-sounds-Key A (or B)-Touch Sensitivity, I sometimes tweak the depth and offset for certain cases:

- solo piano with the CFX sample where I want to make it a little easier to emphasize the color differences between soft and loud playing, I do something like depth 79 and offset 54

- rock band AP playing I might make the offset a little higher than 64 and the depth a little lower, so it sounds more like I'm hitting the keys hard without actually having to hit the keys hard.

I haven't spent much time tweaking these for EPs so far, but probably should.

Edit: this is on a YC88

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yammy yc73

Does anyone know if you can assign a knob to control the volume of an external midi channel? For instance,  in master mode, you have a midi controller module assigned above an internal Rhodes and you want to assign the filter knob to cc#7 (could be any knob really) but on the same channel as the module.

5 hours ago, FingG said:

Yammy yc73

Does anyone know if you can assign a knob to control the volume of an external midi channel? For instance,  in master mode, you have a midi controller module assigned above an internal Rhodes and you want to assign the filter knob to cc#7 (could be any knob really) but on the same channel as the module.

There is no way to stop an internal sound from responding to one of its controls if you have that sound section turned on, but there is a "MIDI Control = Invert" function which sets the board so that knobs only send MIDI CC when a section is inactive. That allows you to use knobs that would otherwise do nothing (because there is no internal sound currently associated with them) to send MIDI. You can't change which MIDI CC they send, so to have the knob do what you'd want, you'd have to map it on the receiving side (meaning this is useful if your external sound is in, for example, an iPad or laptop... but probably not if your external sound is in another keyboard or a hardware sound module).