Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got a song you have put off learning?

Not sure why, but I have put off until recently leaning to play Elton John's Your Song.

It's one of my favorite songs. I taught myself the little opening riff when I was 10. Waited 45 more years to put together the rest.

Not sure what drove me to finally do it. Several years ago someone covered the song and in my opinion bastardized it by changing the word "while" (from "while you're in the world") to "now".

Anyway, got a song like that that you put off for a long time?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why, but I have put off until recently leaning to play Elton John's Your Song.

It's one of my favorite songs. I taught myself the little opening riff when I was 10. Waited 45 more years to put together the rest.

Not sure what drove me to finally do it. Several years ago someone covered the song and in my opinion bastardized it by changing the word "while" (from "while you're in the world") to "now".

'Now'? GASP - blasphemy! Glad you are doing your part to right the universe.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Just one? I got tons of 'em! :D:snax:

What he said!!!! The band I was in until recently was just about to learn "Me and Mrs. Jones", the excruciating long version. Not my jam, I sort of fluffed my way through it a couple of times at gigs before I resigned (for other reasons).

Now, I'll never learn it. Works for me.

15 years of my bar band life have been spent in bands where the lead singer did not have a set list and we didn't practice - plus we took requests. Pretty hard to learn that stuff, you learn "how songs go" instead of "how this song goes" and that has been good enough and then some. At a certain point, you can just play and do fine. There are some tunes that have signature licks, no doubt.

Lyrics? I somehow remember lyrics from umpty bajillion old songs whether I need to or not. My tiny brain is full, no room for new stuff unless I like it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

'Now'? GASP - blasphemy! Glad you are doing your part to right the universe.

Yeah, changing that word is akin to blasphemy (I'll accept your word). One of the best songs ever written, and someone decides to change a word? Nah. Bad form.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Just one? I got tons of 'em! :D:snax:

Yeah, I understand that. I was more thinking of one particular song that you'd like to play but have put it off for some reason. I've got others I want to play too, but none of them are like Your Song...one of my favorite songs and has been since I first heard it in the 70s, yet I never sat down to learn to play it (didn't take too long even with a ton of chord changes, but still, I avoided it for some reason).

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Sleigh Ride. I always 'guess' the middle part wrong. I did that for years with 'Girl from Ipanema', too.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For me not so much songs as techniques. Always wanted to play New Orlean's style licks. Found some Professor Longhair tutorial vids with transcriptions on YouTube and given my proficiency it will keep me out of trouble for a while. Also want to learn some standards ("Fly Me To the Moon", "All of Me" ) with walking basslines for my duo act (great female vocalist, and the upbeat songs will perk the act up). Trying to talk my cover band into doing "Kid Charlemagne" as a stretch project to show off.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

I got too many to list.

However, getting the Vidami video looper pedal has been a game-changer for me. It doesn't completely replace a more serious transcription tool like Transcribe! but it works really well with Youtube videos - people tend to underestimate how something as simple as being able to rewind a video by 10s with a tap of a switch - without taking your hands off your instrument makes everything easier. Saves a lot of wasted time fumbling with your mouse or trackpad trying to rewind the video to the spot that you want. It's also super easy to set up a loop then slow it down - all hands free.

For me not so much songs as techniques. Always wanted to play New Orlean's style licks. Found some Professor Longhair tutorial vids with transcriptions on YouTube and given my proficiency it will keep me out of trouble for a while. Also want to learn some standards ("Fly Me To the Moon", "All of Me" ) with walking basslines for my duo act (great female vocalist, and the upbeat songs will perk the act up). Trying to talk my cover band into doing "Kid Charlemagne" as a stretch project to show off.

Cool. Kid Charlemagne would be fun to play.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Foreplay. (I know Longtime on keys, vocals, guitar and bass). Thanks to this forum years ago , that had a link to a how to video, I got the first part down but it's when it starts descending after those first measures and the rest I haven't started on.

Ditto! (Except for the guitar and bass.)

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I am happy to report that a keyboard-heavy song I've LONG been wanting to play in a cover band has finally materialized!

The Song: "Green Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf. Talked my classic rock covers band into taking this one on. With a good deal of rehearsing, we finally nailed it. :)

Others still on my bucket list:

- Foreplay

- Karn Evil 9

- Echoes

I doubt I'd ever get to these with any local area band. I'd have to get involved in another one of those Prog-type projects that you drive 4 hours for. Not going to happen.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Years ago, I memorized the first 80 measures of Bach's Italian Concerto, 4th Movement. The entire concerto is about 250 measures long. There's a break at about 80 measures at which I improvised a turnaround and an ending. Someday, I'd like to learn the whole piece.

The piano intro to the Beatles' Martha My Dear always intrigued me - gotta learn that someday.

Chopin's Nocturne in E Flat Major (Op. 9 No. 2) has always been a favorite and I should learn it.

Steve Coscia

Foreplay is on my list too (and I may have a reason to do it soon:) ).

Learned Karn Evil 9 (1st impression, part 2) when I was 16 or 17 and played that in a band - which was great fun, but always wanted to get back and do the at least the rest of 1st impression and 2nd impression - probably after Foreplay.

I did learn "Freedom Jazz Dance" by Brian Auger about 5 years ago - great tune, and one I'd been thinking about playing since I was 17 as well.... It took nearly 40 years to get to it...

Sleigh Ride

If you read the OG sheet music for it, it's a toughie!! I always read through it when I go to my mom's for Christmas. Great song though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Toccata - ELP version.

I've learned Karn Evil 9 1st impression Pt's 1 & 2, 2nd impression and I've got about half way through 3rd impression so far. One day I'll have to get back to that one and finish it...but there always seems to be something else that comes along that peaks my interest.

Had one for a long time but was inspired this morning⦠Good Vibrationsâ¦.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

[Foreplay. (I know Longtime on keys, vocals, guitar and bass). Thanks to this forum years ago , that had a link to a how to video, I got the first part down but it's when it starts descending after those first measures and the rest I haven't started on.]

Foreplay always scarred me until I was goofing around at my last gig and just started to play the intro. My crazy band mates joined in and I got about 20 bars in and stoppedâ¦. Good thing the audience was extremely light.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D