Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

WFT to announce new name Feb 2.

I liked "Pigskins" among the names that were tossed around before. "Redskins" with red potato on the helmet was great too.

Washington NFT is my early fave among the names being thrown out now. Could be National Football Team or could be the other NFT.

I could see a Bucs-Packers NFC championship

That wouldn't surprise me either.

This is the 30th season that the Packers have had an all-time great at quarterback. No other NFL team has had that stretch of greatness at the helm. Even the Montana/Young era didn't last that long.

During the Favre/Rodgers era, Green Bay has made it to the postseason an impressive 22 times; but they only made it to the Super Bowl three times, where they won twice. That's still better than most teams fare but something of a disappointment when you consider the quarterbacks.

If the Packers make it this year, Rodgers will equal Favre's two Super Bowl appearances; but if Green Bay wins it all, then Rodgers will have surpassed Favre, who is 1-1 in the big game. (Favre lost to Elway, speaking of all-time greats.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

This current Vikings team--I've been a fan since I could walk, so early 70s--is hard for me to root for. Most of their best players are unvaccinated and there's a pretty good argument that this cost them at the end of the season. I'd just as soon they let those morons go and start over. That said, this pretty much sums them up for this year: They play the good teams tough; they play the bad teams tough. Pretty much the definition of mediocre.

And it's pretty galling that the best quarterback they've had in 20 years has been a Packer's has-been :D

Thankfully I'm less and less invested in the NFL as the years go by. Part of it is that I enjoy the flowing pace of football more (the "real" football LOL) now that years of being a soccer dad has granted me better understanding of the game! I don't have a horse in the race from year to year (much like with college football) so it's easier to just enjoy.

Sad thinh to see AB go this route. He was a model teammate before Burfict gave AB brain damage.

Oh wow.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/01/26/antonio-brown-never-recovered-vontaze-burfict-hit-per-dunlap/4585756002/

We can only hope he finds help, but given what CTE has done to other NFL players like Vincent Jackson, outlook is not good

Thanks for hipping me to this. There are many articles out there now about what a bad guy he is, how the Bucs only cared about using his skills as a player, etc. If the hit(s) are really the cause of this, that's just terrible and those attacking him should throttle it back.

Whenever this kind of thing happens, I think about what happened to Michael Hutchence of INXS and how he supposedly was never the same after the 1992 assault by the taxi driver and subsequent fractured skull.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sad thinh to see AB go this route. He was a model teammate before Burfict gave AB brain damage.

Oh wow.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/01/26/antonio-brown-never-recovered-vontaze-burfict-hit-per-dunlap/4585756002/

We can only hope he finds help, but given what CTE has done to other NFL players like Vincent Jackson, outlook is not good

Thanks for hipping me to this. There are many articles out there now about what a bad guy he is, how the Bucs only cared about using his skills as a player, etc. If the hit(s) are really the cause of this, that's just terrible and those attacking him should throttle it back.

Whenever this kind of thing happens, I think about what happened to Michael Hutchence of INXS and how he supposedly was never the same after the 1992 assault by the taxi driver and subsequent fractured skull.

While I can't say for sure what's going on with AB, there seems to be a consistent pattern with other CTE sufferers - a personality change, extreme mood swings, etc. Junior Seau was one well known CTE case. His suffering and suicide made watching the Chargers and NFL football in general unbearable for a number of years. Apparently the Chargers even made the AFC Championship one more time while I wasn't watching - albeit a drubbing at the hands of Brady and the Pats.

Justin Herbert and the positive energy he brings is what brought me back to watching NFL games again.

Wow, what a crazy end to the Chiefs-Broncos game.

Broncos had 1-pt lead and were threatening again in the red zone when Gordon fumbled the ball away for the Chiefs' winning TD

Unbelievable. Better teams find a way to win even if it's a lucky break or fumble. :D

The head coach watch is on for Vic Vangio in his 3rd year at the helm since this is the Broncos 6th consecutive year missing the playoffs. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow, what a crazy end to the Chiefs-Broncos game.

Broncos had 1-pt lead and were threatening again in the red zone when Gordon fumbled the ball away for the Chiefs' winning TD

Unbelievable. Better teams find a way to win even if it's a lucky break or fumble. :D

The head coach watch is on for Vic Vangio in his 3rd year at the helm since this is the Broncos 6th consecutive year missing the playoffs. :cool:

Fangio's former protege Brendan Staley will be one of the first to call if/when Fangio gets fired. With the Chargers D being so unreliable I think Staley would love to have Fangio take over defensive playcalling so he can focus on just being the head coach

I watched replays of that fumble. It's just great coaching and execution by the Chefs. One of many reasons they go deep into the playoffs every year and have appeared in the SB two years in a row. Their player beat the protection to hit Gordon and force the fumble.

Right on cue, Vic Fangio is fired.

One of the dumbest videos I've come across is somebody imploring the Chargers to fire Staley if the lose to the Raiders tonight. If the Chargers are that stupid - I wouldn't put it past them - the Broncos job would be very attractive for Staley.

Fangio's skills and experience as defensive coordinator will be in demand. I'm sure Staley will try to recruit him, as he would love to have his mentor in house for more brain-picking.

Alright, Detroit!

The Bears went out sucking. Wow. It was as if Lazor thought, "I've been inspired by that 'Seinfeld' episode where George does everything opposite, making bad decisions that turn out well. I'll do the same!"

But it didn't go well. "David Montgomery is a beast and the running game is going well, and the passing game is not. And it's 4th and 1. Oh, I know, I'll pass! And I won't scheme to block edge rushers either!" Over and over and over......

That was an incredible game indeed!

I hated the Raiders as a kid living in San Diego and rooting for the Chargers. But now the Chargers are in LA and the Raiders are in Vegas so I don't feel the same about either team. As such, I have to respect what this Raiders team went through this year - suddenly losing their head coach and various other crazy events. They earned this victory.

Mike Williams is a free agent this offseason. It will be interesting to see what decisions the Chargers make on him and other free agents. He's a weapon but could command a high price. Staley will want to get more guys who fit the defense he wants to run, plus I'm sure he's painfully aware of the weakness of the right side of the OL. Too much of a salary cap hit for MW could limit options for filling those holes via free agency.

Fun fact about the Chargers: they actually started out being based in Los Angeles: in 1960 they played their first season in the AFL as the Los Angeles Chargers, and even made it to the AFL championship game, losing to the Houston Oilers. After that they moved to San Diego. So the Chargers are one of 3 current NFL franchises to leave a city and then return back to that same city later on.

Fun fact about the Chargers: they actually started out being based in Los Angeles: in 1960 they played their first season in the AFL as the Los Angeles Chargers, and even made it to the AFL championship game, losing to the Houston Oilers. After that they moved to San Diego. So the Chargers are one of 3 current NFL franchises to leave a city and then return back to that same city later on.

Yup, Barron Hilton was the first owner. He moved the Chargers to San Diego and was instrumental in getting the stadium built and negotiations leading to the AFL-NFL merger. He even served as AFL president for one year. Then he was formally offered the CEO position with Hilton Hotel Group, on the condition that he give up the Chargers and other football activities. His father was the founder of Hilton Hotel Group. It's too bad he had to sell the Chargers because the owners after him weren't nearly as great.

More fun facts: Al Davis was a member of the Chargers inaugural coaching staff, along with head coach Sid Gilman and defensive coach Chuck Noll. when they won the 1963 AFL championship. He appears to have contributed to the development of the Sid Gillman deep passing attack, which brought early success to the Chargers. When he was hired by the Raiders, he encouraged the Chargers-Raiders rivalry and seemed to have relished cultivating the bad boy image.

After Al Davis passed away and the Raiders left Oakland for Vegas, the rivalry just doesn't feel the same.

And so it begins.

Chicago Bears fire Nagy and Pace

The Matt Nagy era in Chicago had a promising start, but a disastrous ending. The Chicago Bears announced Monday that the organization has fired Nagy and general manager Ryan Pace, a total rebuild for an organization that hasn't won a playoff game since the 2010 season. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora first reported the Bears would fire Nagy.

The Bears moved on from Nagy after four seasons leading the franchise, as Nagy finished with a 34-31 record with only one losing season (2021). Nagy lead the Bears to the NFC North title in his first season and won the Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year, but went just 22-27 in the three seasons since. Nagy was tasked with developing quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, but the Bears moved on from him despite making the playoffs in two of Trubisky's three seasons as a starting quarterback.

Pace took over the general manager job in Chicago in 2015, yet just had one winning season and two playoff appearance in seven years on the job. The Bears went 48-65 under Pace, who had four losing seasons in his tenure. Pace oversaw the hiring of two head coaches, Nagy and John Fox. Under Fox, the Bears went 14-34 before Nagy turned the franchise around by going 12-4 in 2018 in Trubisky's second season as the starting quarterback. Expectations were raised in Chicago after that NFC North title, yet the Bears only reached the playoffs one in the three seasons since.

The Raiders/Chargers game was epic especially in creating the legend of QB Justin Herbert. I believe that kid has a future in the NFL. :laugh:

Thankfully, the 2021 season is over for my WFT. In 2022, the team will get a new name. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping WFT makes changes to the coaching staff (OC and DC). Additionally, I hope they find a QB who can read and react quickly, mobile and capable of throwing the deep ball.

To date, none of what I'm looking for is in the building. WFT (soon to be something else) has an entire off season to fix it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I didn't foresee the Dolphins firing HC Brian Flores. He will definitely land on his feet.

Long shot but it would be great if WFT could get Flores to become DC here. :cool:

PD

I've seen speculation about Flores landing in Denver, then Deshaun Watson following him there. AFCW defenses would have to be forced to get better quickly or get their coaches fired, having to defend against Mahommes, Watson, Herbert, and the Raiders two-headed attack of Carr-Mariota twice a year.

Chargers fired a coach!

Special teams coach that is. Special teams had a rough start in 2021 with a kicker (Vizcaino) with poor accuracy - he was so unreliable for FGs that Staley started going for it on 4th down so much - he couldn't even kick extra points!!! - and poor play on kick and punt returns and coverage. Kicking, kick returns, and kick coverage got better with the mid-season acquisitions of Hopkins and Roberts, but they still finished in the high 20s in punt return/coverage. Some talk of replacing the coach with Joe Judge. I guess he didn't impress as NYG's HC, but he did coach the Patriots specials teams to an elite level.

Texans fired head coach David Culley. That leaves Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin as the lone AfroAmerican. Ron Rivera and Robert Saleh are the only other two minority head coaches.

I'm sure Flores and Culley will land elsewhere. But, unless a head coach loses his locker room or commits a major offense, it takes at least 5 years to turn most teams around.

The Dolphins and Texans are in rebuilding mode. Personally, I would not have taken either job if I was a head coach candidate. :D:cool:

PD