Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

Regarding football (soccer), I like it but have never been completely enthralled by it, but to be fair, I didn't grow up watching it either. Oddly, one of the most enthralling games was one that I heard on the radio while driving on the highway. The way the person described it was so visual. He explained everything, but without being pedantic about it. I just remember loving that, and if there were more description like that in the "clashes" between people and "foot duels", I think I would like it.

I also like hockey quite a bit, especially in person. That's a thrilling sport in person, in my opinion.

That said, American football looks amazing on TV. However figured out how to make it look so epic and visceral on TV is a genius. Think about it. They took a sport that has tons of commercial breaks and keeps stopping the action for about half a minute and made it so it's fascinating. That's really an amazing feat. Don't get me wrong, American football is cool in person too, but watching it on TV has a certain magic to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Regarding football (soccer), I like it but have never been completely enthralled by it, but to be fair, I didn't grow up watching it either.

Yeah, this is an important factor. I can't remember a single soccer game on my television set during my childhood. I had heard of Pelé, but I don't remember seeing him on TV.

On the other hand, I watched a lot of American football on TV with my friends; but we rarely watched for long before we were inspired to leave the game in progress to go out and play it ourselves.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The leak of  QB Tom Brady's retirement this past weekend was no accident. 

Yet, he didn't want to upstage the championship games.😁

Brady has nothing left to prove in football.  He deserves to enjoy the next chapters of his life in good healh. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Agreed!  I too believe that is why he waited to say it himself today instead of Sunday.

He also retired after Ben Roethlisberger, if only by a few minutes. 

Now he can recharge all he wants and say "let's go" to wherever he and his family want to go, at their leisure, and well-earned.

They have a pretty swell compound in Costa Rica, complete with armed guards, of course. 

:nopity:

1 minute ago, Doerfler said:

He also retired after Ben Roethlisberger, if only by a few minutes. 

They have a pretty swell compound in Costa Rica, complete with armed guards, of course. 

Much less fanfare than Big Ben though, which was apparently what he wanted.

Looked it up to make sure, but yep, Hertz has locations in Costa Rica too

If me, you, and like a gajillion other fans pitch in $20 each, we can own a piece of this team right?

Speaking of really expensive overpriced toys, that scheme would just about get us all a new Hammond XKS Pro.

• Haha 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

If I get enough nice bonuses at work, I may splurge on one of those $300 shares in the Packers.  I know they're a non-profit and all that, but the paperwork - I think - would look pretty darn cool to frame up and hang on a wall.  And I get to vote on whether or not to fire a coach and stuff.

https://packersstock.com/

2021_Cert.png

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

@Geoff Grace  maybe this is your chance to own the Broncos?  If me, you, and like a gajillion other fans pitch in $20 each, we can own a piece of this team right?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33194474/nfl-denver-broncos-sale-price-likely-set-record-north-american-sports-franchise

LOL, GovernorSilver, if only!

I hope whoever buys the franchise keeps it in Denver and does right by the team.

52 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

If I get enough nice bonuses at work, I may splurge on one of those $300 shares in the Packers.  I know they're a non-profit and all that, but the paperwork - I think - would look pretty darn cool to frame up and hang on a wall.  And I get to vote on whether or not to fire a coach and stuff.

https://packersstock.com/

2021_Cert.png

You might want to double-check the voting part. I don't think that's included. At most, you might be able to vote for the people who choose the people who make the decisions. It's a very limited form of stock.

More here:

Packers Executive Committee & Board Of Directors

No, Packers stock is not a scam

Best,

Geoff

9 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

LOL, GovernorSilver, if only!

I hope whoever buys the franchise keeps it in Denver and does right by the team.

You might want to double-check the voting part. I don't think that's included. It's a very limited form of stock.

More here:

Packers Executive Committee & Board Of Directors

No, Packers stock is not a scam

Best,

Geoff

Aww, would I at least be able to vote on whether I can order a hot dog Chicago style if/when I ever get into the stadium?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MAJUSCULE said:

You know your brand is strong when you can sell a piece of paper for $300.

I think it's a combination of brand and the Wisconsin culture, in which people often go the extra mile to support their community.

My theory is that the colder the climate, the more important it becomes to band together. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Yeah, it's hard to say much about that without veering into political territory; so I'll simply say that his record speaks for itself. He should be a head coach.

As a fan of the game, I'm glad to hear that he refused to tank; and I hope that the NFL will do everything humanly possible insure equitable hiring practices in its head coach positions.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

As one of a very few AfroAmericans on this forum, I usually tread carefully when it comes to certain topics and staying apolitical. 

However, as a huge fan of NFL football, I will unequivocally state that the Rooney Rule has always been some BS.   

We've seen way too many unqualified dudes like Special Teams coordinator Joe Judge get a head coaching job ahead of Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Eric Bieniemy. Gotta be kidding me. 

But, there are 32 team owners. They have every right to hire whoever they want to lead their franchise. That's just the way it is.😎

• Like 4

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

BTW, Brian Flores, eh? What a bombshell of a lawsuit, even it's not much of a surprise, being the NFL and all.

There's so much to unpack. And I can't help but wonder what the ramifications for the NFL and beyond might be. It'll be fascinating to see how this shakes out.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:01 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Internet is abuzz with the supposed new name of the Washington soon to be former "Football Team"

Brotha Gov, you broke it here 1st and now  it's official.  Washington Commanders.

Joe Theismann leaked it. Also, an NBC Channel 4 chopper snapped a pic of the new name showing on team store at the stadium. 

Let the rush on merchandise begin. I'll sit back and wait to see if a new name produces more wins.😁😎

PD

Can't say I love the name, but anything beats the one they had.  "Football Team" was a major improvement.  I've had some pretty heated discussions about it with people who didn't see it as any different from "Chiefs" or "Braves", let's just say I see a major difference and leave it at that....those same people also like to use the "it's been that way forever" argument, which is bunk IMO.  We no longer do or say a lot of things that were once accepted, thankfully.  it's called "improving".

As far as soccer--or "football" as the rest of the world accurately calls it!--it's kind of taken over American football for my top spectator sport.  I'm far more likely to be able to watch a whole game of soccer than football.  Depends on the quality of course.  Chelsea v Liverpool is going to keep me watching while some 3rd tier Uruguayan league game probably won't :)

It's been a while since I watched football in person, but it's pretty interesting as you really get an idea of how the plays work, the tv tends to condense things a lot.  Same for nba games really.  You also have to sit there watching the players sit there through all the tv timeouts.

• Like 1

As a biz instructor, I will simply say that I cynically expect little to come from the Flores suit until the demographic of NFL owners changes, or there is a substantive impact (in other words, financial / economic penalties that matter, or forfeiture of draft picks, that is actually enforced) for unacceptable behavior to change the behavior of these very powerful, autocratic, defiantly independent, protect-our-own-at-all-costs, wealthy, insulated owners.

Until there are real teeth, there will be no change.

You can also apply this same principle to the oversight and "good conduct" of social media empires and I would glumly predict the exact same outcome.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, timwat said:

I cynically expect little to come from the Flores suit until the demographic of NFL owners changes, or there is a substantive impact (in other words, financial / economic penalties that matter...

That's it in a nutshell.  The players have to boycott.  An ownership group needs to be formed to buy an NFL team.  Otherwise, we'll continue to get public service announcements and charity donations that signal...just shut up and play.  😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

Brotha Gov, you broke it here 1st and now  it's official.  Washington Commanders.

Joe Theismann leaked it. Also, an NBC Channel 4 chopper snapped a pic of the new name showing on team store at the stadium. 

Let the rush on merchandise begin. I'll sit back and wait to see if a new name produces more wins.😁😎

What do you think of the new uniform design?  I miss the numbers on the sleeves and the stripes on the sides of the pants. 

7828e306-c1d1-4e54-adfc-daa8b874f491-AP_

redskins-win-superbowl-1992-2048x1365.jp

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

What do you think of the new uniform design?  I miss the numbers on the sleeves and the stripes on the sides of the pants. 

I don't see why they felt the need to make those changes to the unforms but like anything else, I'll get used to it. 😎

PD

I think that some will call them the Commies, and others will call them the ’Manders (like the Niners).

It may even get shortened to the Coms, similarly to how the Buccaneers get shortened to the Bucs. 

Oh, and one more: some people are already calling them the Commandos. 

Best,

Geoff