Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

Hey enjoyed the game. It had a fair chance of being anti-climactic after all of the tremendous games leading to it.

Did anyone else notice all of the unconventional camera angles for this game? It was not what I was accustomed to all season. I got used to it but it was actually gettitng in my way for a while.

Once again I hated halftime show. i especially hated The Rock and the Hollywood BS. (i don’t actually care enough to hate any of it I am using it as a figure of speech).

The commercial worth mentioning had a zombie looking bride and that guy who played a cop in the funny movie where the kid from Arrested Development goes to a party and their friend gets arrested by that guy who played a cop and it is all faked so he looks like he is cool. Names? Seth?

I've been a little surprised at how happy this Super Bowl victory made me, and I realized that this was a bucket list completion for me as a fan.

You all know me as a Packers fan, and they've been my favorite team for over 25 years—ever since the Rams left LA—but before that, the Rams were my favorite for roughly the same stretch of time: starting during the late '60s, when the Fearsome Foursome terrorized quarterbacks.

When the Rams left for St. Louis and won the Super Bowl there, it was like rubbing salt in the wound. I didn't know whether I would live to see an LA Rams team again, let alone one that actually won a Super Bowl; so this is... Wow!

While I would have loved it if the Packers had gone all the way this year, it wouldn't have been as sweet as this Rams victory was, because the Packers have done this before—multiple times.

I've waited over a half century for this day to arrive, and I'm going to bask in it as long as I can.

GO RAMS!!!  :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

10 hours ago, eric said:

Did the refs come out of the woodwork right near the end, and help the winning team just a bit? Asking for a friend. :D 

If they did, it was probably because they felt guilty for missing the pass interference/face mask/personal foul at the start of the second half that gave Cinci a TD, and felt they owed them (Rams) one...

• Like 3

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Congrats Geoff!

Pretty good game for sure.

Is there a petition we can sign to have the Lombardi trophy handed to the players first, not the owner? That's one thing that the Stanley Cup and the NHL have clearly gotten right. I mean, Raymond fkn Bourque, man.

Halftime show was amazing. Easily top five if not top three and the best in years. They knocked it out of the park. Adam Blackstone was already sitting on the throne, but the man never stops padding his portfolio.

• Like 4

The eastern U.S. network TV stations we get with our Ontario satellite service are based in Detroit, so I got to watch a lot of Lions football over the years.  Talk about punishment.  But that’s why I knew Matthew Stafford was the perfect guy to march LA to that dramatic game-winning touchdown late in the 4th quarter in yesterday’s Super Bowl.  After all, he’d seen the same challenges in Detroit that LA was facing against Cincinnati as the clock ran down—game after frustrating game, year after painful year.  

No running game?  Been there, done that.  Only one first-rate receiver to throw to?  Some years he was lucky to have even one.  Pass protection that broke down nearly as often as it held?  That would have been a good day for him.  

Stafford was always a gamer in Detroit.  He made the most of what his woeful management put on the field with him.  So to see him exploit so brilliantly that one good receiver he had left, even as a 4th down ball carrier, was not a total surprise.  To see him do so on the biggest stage of all was extremely gratifying.

• Like 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Talk about entertaining! A totally LA Super Bowl with an intro by Dwayne Johnson, a halftime show with Dr. Dre and acts he's produced, and then a last minute come from behind win by the home team! (And yeah technically the Rams weren't, but they were.)

The halftime show was exhilarating - one of the best. I practically jumped out of my seat when they showed unannounced 50 Cent - and hanging upside down like the video! As a DJ I've played In Da Club countless times when there's a birthday in the house. The track isn't really about birthdays, but it's what they always ask for. A tough track to mix with all the off beat orchestral hits, but I think I've finally got it down. 

Anyway congrats to you Rams fans. As a Seahawk fan I can't say that I was rooting for them, but it didn't bother me that they won this time. If Aaron Donald really retires, it's actually a plus. 

• Like 1

"I have no horse in the race. Did the refs come out of the woodwork right near the end, and help the winning team just a bit? Asking for a friend."

Payback for their horrendous miss of the obvious Facemask call on the Bengal's 2nd half touchdown bomb. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I know this will be criticized, but I thought the halftime show was boring and pretty uninventive. And it's not just the fact that I don't get rap and hip hop as interesting musical styles, but the staging and composition of the event was disjointed and really did not tell a story. (This is what I do as a profession, by the way).  I have always hated the fact that the show is lip synched to a track, but that is what is necessary to pull off the herculean job the creative team, artists, and crew that sets up this 14 minute show in 10 minutes. But watching Dr. Dre "play" an imaginary DJ stand was ridiculous. Why not have some fake turntables and mixers?  I liked MJB as she was the only "singer" in the show.  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Actually I think what Dre was behind was a recording console, and his implied message was "My production has made all these guys famous!"

Perhaps not entirely true, but there's no denying that he played an important part in their careers. 

34 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Aaron Donald should have won Superbowl MVP.

I expected Kupp to get it - which he did - because he's an offensive player and he did make huge game-changing plays.

But without Donald disrupting the Bengals offense, the outcome would have been very different.

I think you can make a good case for either one. Donald outplayed Von Miller (and I say this as a Von Miller fan), who was another Super Bowl MVP; and Aaron's outstanding plays at the end of the game clinched the victory for the Rams. I believe the late, great Deacon Jones would have been proud.

Cooper Kupp, like Donald, played remarkably well despite being double-teamed or even triple-teamed; and once OBJ was injured, the pressure on Kupp only increased. I think the main thing that may have favored Kupp over Donald is that Cincinnati's offensive line was a well-known weakness. Any decent defensive line might have had similar results.

Kupp's amazing season garnered him an MVP vote, and he was being discussed in the same breath as all-time great Jerry Rice. I don't begrudge him the Super Bowl MVP, even though I thought that Aaron Donald was just as deserving.

Best,

Geoff

P.S. Thanks for the congrats, Eric!

2 hours ago, Polychrest said:

The eastern U.S. network TV stations we get with our Ontario satellite service are based in Detroit, so I got to watch a lot of Lions football over the years.  Talk about punishment.  But that’s why I knew Matthew Stafford was the perfect guy to march LA to that dramatic game-winning touchdown late in the 4th quarter in yesterday’s Super Bowl.  After all, he’d seen the same challenges in Detroit that LA was facing against Cincinnati as the clock ran down—game after frustrating game, year after painful year.  

No running game?  Been there, done that.  Only one first-rate receiver to throw to?  Some years he was lucky to have even one.  Pass protection that broke down nearly as often as it held?  That would have been a good day for him.  

Stafford was always a gamer in Detroit.  He made the most of what his woeful management put on the field with him.  So to see him exploit so brilliantly that one good receiver he had left, even as a 4th down ball carrier, was not a total surprise.  To see him do so on the biggest stage of all was extremely gratifying.

Well said, Polychrest. As a Packers fan, I've seen many games with Stafford as an opponent. He did a lot with very little on a regular basis. I'm happy to see him get his due today.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

@Geoff Grace you know your team better than I do so I defer to you on Kupp winning his well-deserved MVP.  

I saw a comment elsewhere about Stafford being well prepared for this game, having played for years on another team that didn't have a consistent running game, and only one great receiver available.   Accurate or not, I though it was an amusing comment.

Superbowl Biggest Moments

I missed the Billie Jean King coin toss and Guyton's singing the national anthem because I was trying to figure out how to stream the game, before I remembered I have an HD antenna already attached to the TV.  

• Like 2

I enjoyed the Super Bowl game. I knew the Rams were going to win. 😉

QB Matt Stafford got his ring which cements his spot in Canton.

I believe DT Aaron Donald and LB Von Miller have secured spots in the HOF as well.

Another congrats to brotha @Geoff Grace with his other team hoisting the Lombardi trophy. 🏆 

I thought the halftime show was excellent. I was very proud of Hip-Hop music. 😎

• Like 5

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I thought the halftime show was excellent. I was very proud of Hip-Hop music. 😎

My biggest concern was that things would get muted and chopped like the clean versions of these tracks in my DJ pool, but the guys seemed to work with it, chose their verses carefully, and came up with at least rhythmically acceptable substitutions in other places. You could tell what they thought of the process though - performing on that all white set! :laugh:

The Game was boring. The Officials were TERRIBLE. They should have called OFFENSIVE Pass Interference against the Bengals during the first series of the 2nd half but let that obvious penalty slide So the Bengals got a FREE Touchdown. Obviously, the NFL front office told them the Let them Play. However, that non call could have changed the outcome of the game.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

11 hours ago, ProfD said:

I enjoyed the Super Bowl game. I knew the Rams were going to win. 😉

QB Matt Stafford got his ring which cements his spot in Canton.

I believe DT Aaron Donald and LB Von Miller have secured spots in the HOF as well.

Another congrats to brotha @Geoff Grace with his other team hoisting the Lombardi trophy. 🏆 

Thanks, ProfD! :cool:

I think that Von Miller is one of the best of his generation and that Aaron Donald is one of the best defensive linemen of all-time. (For me, Deacon Jones is the GOAT of defensive linemen.) I hope the only thing that delays their entry into the Hall of Fame is that they keep playing for years to come.

Best,

Geoff

Sims says what was immediately on my mind when OBJ went down in the Super Bowl.  

As an NFL owner, why not try a little harder to protect your investments in elite players like OBJ?  Maybe getting rid of turf entirely is not realistic, but surely more improvements can be done to this technology.

The bigger the sporting event, the more awful stuff happens in the shadows. Like clockwork. No sport or country is immune, and the SB is one of the biggest events there is. There would've been plenty of human trafficking as well, not to mention all the collateral damage of the massive amounts of drugs that would've been purchased over the weekend too.

Absolutely. FIFA and the IOC are two of the worst. It’s up to each person to decide how much their participation or consumption encourages that sort of corruption and depraved morality from the folks calling the shots upstairs. Saw a funny quote recently from Phil Mickelson about the Saudi funding of the new big money golf league they’re starting.

Most everyone has sold their soul to the devil, some just get a bigger paycheque… and in the end the majority (myself included) still turn on the TV cause we’re just tired at the end of a long day and want to yell at some folks who can’t hear us.

We had a lot of fun watching the Rams game. Had a couple of people over, and ate "the food of Los Angeles". This, of course, involved tacos. Lots of tacos. Happy to see a win. 

Best of luck to Brian Flores.