Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

5 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Who are you rooting for now and why?

Brotha Geoff, I'm not rooting for any team. But, I believe the Super Bowl will be Rams vs Chiefs. 

The Rams have a solid defense. QB Matt Stafford can light it up when he's not throwing INTs. WR Cooper Kupp and WR OBJ Jr. can stretch the field. 

The Chiefs defense is porous especially if the Honey Badger (S Tyrann Mathieu) doesn't play. But, if that Chiefs offense is firing on all cylinders, they can put up a lot of points.

Right now, I think the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'll be backing the Bengals (for their long-suffering fans) and the Rams (for Matthew Stafford, who suffered so long with the awful Lions).  The Bengals are the best story left in the playoffs.

• Like 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

10 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I'd like to hear about who everyone is rooting for, now that we're down to the final four.

Rams. I also like the Chiefs, so they are my close second pick of the four remaining teams.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I like underdogs, so I'll be rooting for Bengals.  They beat the Chiefs a few weeks ago, but that wasn't a playoff game.

Y'know, I don't know how much of an underdog they are. They have a really solid chance of beating the Chiefs, it seems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Y'know, I don't know how much of an underdog they are. They have a really solid chance of beating the Chiefs, it seems.

It'll be a fun game to watch.

The Chiefs are 7 pt. favorites (as of today in SI and other sources) over the Bengals, but upsets have been known to happen.

If Mahommes comes out as hot as he did against the Bills, I don't see the Bengals D stopping him.   The Bills D was ranked pretty high in several categories like #1 vs 3rd down offense, etc.  Burrow does an arsenal of weapons, and would really need to make use of them because they'll probably have to keep up in a shootout.   Should be fun to watch!

Just my opinion and observations as a 3rd party observer who likes watching good NFL games

1 hour ago, MAJUSCULE said:

. . . we saw (again) what elite QBs do to scrambling defences last week.

Mahomes and Allen got good pass protection most of the game.  When it broke down, their speed and mobility helped them escape trouble.  Burrow’s not as slippery.  If Cincy’s O-line allows KC to sack Burrow as many times as Tennessee did last weekend (nine), the Bengals are in big trouble.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Understandably, I haven't heard anyone predict my Niners to do anything but give the Rams a difficult time in a losing effort as the Rams are picked by...well...everyone...to move on to the Big Rodeo.

I suppose that's the definition of nothing to lose / playing with house money.

Very few expected them to beat the Rams the first time, no one expected them to beat The Aaron Rodgers, and no one expects them to beat LA again.

As a long-suffering Niners fan since John Brodie (who was my first official autograph, in a San Mateo Longs drugstore), I realize the odds are loooooong against them and even diehards know what the expected outcome is. But that's the awesome part of actually playing the games. 

1 hour ago, Polychrest said:

If Cincy’s O-line allows KC to sack Burrow as many times as Tennessee did last weekend (nine), the Bengals are in big trouble.

Agreed.  QB Joe Burrow is a rising star but he holds the ball a tad bit too long.  That's a recipe for disaster either by strip sack or fumble.

However, unlike Tennessee defensive-minded HC Mike Vrable, KC DC Steve Spagnuolo doesn't bring as much pressure which IMO leaves their defense vulnerable to big plays as evidenced against the Bills last week.

The Bengals beat the Chiefs during the regular season.  I wonder if knowing they might meet in the playoffs that was some Andy Reid inspired by Bill Belicheck Jedi mind trick.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, timwat said:

Understandably, I haven't heard anyone predict my Niners to do anything but give the Rams a difficult time in a losing effort as the Rams are picked by...well...everyone...to move on to the Big Rodeo.

I suppose that's the definition of nothing to lose / playing with house money.

Very few expected them to beat the Rams the first time, no one expected them to beat The Aaron Rodgers, and no one expects them to beat LA again.

As a long-suffering Niners fan since John Brodie (who was my first official autograph, in a San Mateo Longs drugstore), I realize the odds are loooooong against them and even diehards know what the expected outcome is. But that's the awesome part of actually playing the games. 

I don’t know why more people aren’t picking the 49ers. They skillfully exploited the Packers’ weakness in special teams and beat them without scoring a single offensive touchdown. They’ve also beaten the Rams six times in a row. I’ll be grateful if the Rams can escape with a win. 

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

18 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Internet is abuzz with the supposed new name of the Washington soon to be former "Football Team"

I saw something similar about a month ago except that instead of Commanders the new team was going to be Admirals.

I believe the official announcment is supposed to happen on February 2nd.  😎

PD

On 1/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, MAJUSCULE said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the AFC Championship comes down to who has the ball last. ...

20 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I don’t know why more people aren’t picking the 49ers. They skillfully exploited the Packers’ weakness in special teams and beat them without scoring a single offensive touchdown. They’ve also beaten the Rams six times in a row. ...

Didn't all the playoff games come down to who had the ball in the last seconds of the game? Also true for Niners games before the playoffs. Niners already won against the Rams twice this season. Should be a good game. I hope it's not a 1-sided rout. But my heart may not be able to take yet another nail-biter. Still, this is why you watch sports, especially the playoffs. Gonna be fun.

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I saw something similar about a month ago except that instead of Commanders the new team was going to be Admirals.

I believe the official announcment is supposed to happen on February 2nd.  😎

You might have a point.  The transfer of an unknown team name to the MarkMonitor domain does not mean the name is intended for Washington.  It could be an expansion team.   NFL has done some surprising things before.

Eric Bieniemy is more than deserving of a head coach spot. Whoever hires him will be lucky to have him.

As for Nathaniel Hackett, I'm sorry to see him leave the Packers but happy he landed in Denver. If Aaron Rodgers decides to follow, I'll feel the same way.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

19 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Good news for the other 31 NFL teams. Dallas Cowboys retain Mike McCarthy as head coach. :)

I'm curious to see how long that holds up since Sean Payton is stepping away from the Saints. He hasn't ruled out ever coaching again. 😎

PD