Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rolling Stones to headline ... a Jazz Fest?

3rdAct

"Satisfaction: Rolling Stones to headline 50th Jazz Fest"

https://www.apnews.com/fd61858c82884d90aec2ac2f24ac9774

"The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival has got satisfaction: The Rolling Stones are among the headliners for the 50th anniversary festival. Organizers on Tuesday confirmed reports that the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers will play. Also headlining the 8-day event, which runs April 25-28 and May 2-5, are Katy Perry, the Dave Matthews Band, Al Green, Pitbull, Santana, Jerry Lee Lewis, Aaron Neville and gospel great Shirley Caesar."

I know the meaning of "Jazz Festival" has changed over the years, but really...?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure this is why it's officially called the "Jazz & Heritage Festival."

While I haven't dug around to see what actual jazz is on the bill, there are a lot of acts I'd like to see including Little Feat if I wanted to put up with the whole festival thing. Which I don't.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

jazz

The use of the word in a musical context was documented as early as 1915 in the Chicago Daily Tribune.[8] Its first documented use in a musical context in New Orleans was in a November 14, 1916 Times-Picayune article about "jas bands".[9] In an interview with NPR, musician Eubie Blake offered his recollections of the slang connotations of the term, saying, "When Broadway picked it up, they called it 'J-A-Z-Z'. It wasn't called that. It was spelled 'J-A-S-S'. That was dirty, and if you knew what it was, you wouldn't say it in front of ladies."[10] The American Dialect Society named it the Word of the Twentieth Century.[11]

I´d say, that´s pretty much what "The Rolling Stones" ever were.

DIRTY !!!

In fact the opposite to the Beatles.

I like ´em for this since I was a teenager and even my real musical interests changed very soon.

Their music is simple, but the keyboard work was demanding always.

Brian Jones, Jack Nitzche, Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Ian McLagan, Billy Preston, Matt Clifford, Chuck Leavel,- all were and are great keyboard players and I guess at least some of ´em were and still are able to play different styles of music and not only ´rock ´n roll.

Not to forget to mention the bass player,- Darryl Jones.

"The Rolling Stones" are the dirtiest rock ´n roll band still touring the globe since they were founded in the 60s and when disappearing one day, there will be no replacement.

Finally,- even "Jazz" events need ticket sales ... those keep ´em alive I think.

I myself, I´m still a jazz fan loving Miles, Herbie and all the others on the BlueNote label,- and I came later to this than to the Stones or Deep Purple.

In fact, my home is all the music existing.

I know the differences and I prefer practising/learning other styles more than rock ´n roll.

BUT,- when I never had listened to the Rolling Stones already in the age of 9, I never had performed w/ a VOX combo organ in the age of 13 and made some cash w/ music already in the age of 15, finally becoming a studio session artist in ´76 and so on ...

There´s a beginning always,- and when the Rolling Stones began, there was the blues.

They loved the blues deeply and they are still there.

They adapted to the rock ´n roll circus biz, that´s all,- and they had to do to survive.

The Rolling Stones are iconic and they deserve headlining every festival on that planet as long as they exist.

Times changed, I know, but there will never be bands again like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles,- and the Beatles don´t tour,- so how shall they headline festivals.

Charlie Parker, Jimmy Hendrix and Miles died (naming only a few) ...

When they were still alive,- probably one of ´em were the headliners now, because everyone would sell the tickets needed to keep jazz festivals alive.

A.C.

This is a jazz festival. Newport 2018 (all days should be 2018). Its the last time Id hear Roy Hargrove. My favorite set was Artemis with Renee Roses, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ingrid Jensen, Anat Cohen, Melissa Aldana, Noriko Ueda, and Alison Miller.

I just bought my 2019 tickets without the lineup.

http://www.newportjazz.org/wp-content/uploads/2018-NewportJazz-Schedule.jpg

The NO festival has had rock, r&b and funk bands for many years, like a lot of other bigger so-called "jazz" festivals. I played there in 2004, in the "jazz tent" with a major NO star, Donald Harrison. There was quite a bit of jazz going on. As I recall, the Meters and James Taylor were the big "quasi" or "non" jazz acts that year. As I understand, it's acts like those that draw the crowds to the festival, which offsets the losses they'd incur by sticking with the "real" jazz only.

At least the NOJ&HF still has some straight-ahead jazz! There are a few festivals with "jazz" in their name that don't have any. To wit:

Ch-Yggryr7yy-AE-Nb1.jpg

It's only a "Jazz" festival because it's in New Orleans.

Busch.

Again ... wiki: the word "jas(s)"

"Its first documented use in a musical context in New Orleans was in a November 14, 1916 Times-Picayune article about "jas bands".[9]

A.C.

I understand the rationale for booking "other" acts but if the headliner is a non-Jazz act, just call it a music festival. That covers all genres.

Otherwise, a Jazz festival should be financed by investors who love and respect Jazz music. The festival should be headlined by a Jazz act.

Let me check the line-up for a Country music festival. I bet there aren't any Rock bands or Hip-Hop arists on it. Nelly doesn't count. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Hampton Jazz Festival in Hampton, VA, started out in the '80s with many big named jazz stars, after a few years the 3 day event featured maybe 1 or 2 jazz stars each day, then it became a rock and soul festival, still calling itself the Hampton Jazz Festival.
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Several original members of the Stones started as jazz musicians, and all as blues musician. Not a far fetch.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

jazz

The use of the word in a musical context was documented as early as 1915 in the Chicago Daily Tribune.[8] Its first documented use in a musical context in New Orleans was in a November 14, 1916 Times-Picayune article about "jas bands".[9] In an interview with NPR, musician Eubie Blake offered his recollections of the slang connotations of the term, saying, "When Broadway picked it up, they called it 'J-A-Z-Z'. It wasn't called that. It was spelled 'J-A-S-S'. That was dirty, and if you knew what it was, you wouldn't say it in front of ladies."[10] The American Dialect Society named it the Word of the Twentieth Century.[11]

I´d say, that´s pretty much what "The Rolling Stones" ever were.

DIRTY !!!

In fact the opposite to the Beatles.

I like ´em for this since I was a teenager and even my real musical interests changed very soon.

Their music is simple, but the keyboard work was demanding always.

Brian Jones, Jack Nitzche, Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Ian McLagan, Billy Preston, Matt Clifford, Chuck Leavel,- all were and are great keyboard players and I guess at least some of ´em were and still are able to play different styles of music and not only ´rock ´n roll.

Not to forget to mention the bass player,- Darryl Jones.

"The Rolling Stones" are the dirtiest rock ´n roll band still touring the globe since they were founded in the 60s and when disappearing one day, there will be no replacement.

Finally,- even "Jazz" events need ticket sales ... those keep ´em alive I think.

I myself, I´m still a jazz fan loving Miles, Herbie and all the others on the BlueNote label,- and I came later to this than to the Stones or Deep Purple.

In fact, my home is all the music existing.

I know the differences and I prefer practising/learning other styles more than rock ´n roll.

BUT,- when I never had listened to the Rolling Stones already in the age of 9, I never had performed w/ a VOX combo organ in the age of 13 and made some cash w/ music already in the age of 15, finally becoming a studio session artist in ´76 and so on ...

There´s a beginning always,- and when the Rolling Stones began, there was the blues.

They loved the blues deeply and they are still there.

They adapted to the rock ´n roll circus biz, that´s all,- and they had to do to survive.

The Rolling Stones are iconic and they deserve headlining every festival on that planet as long as they exist.

Times changed, I know, but there will never be bands again like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles,- and the Beatles don´t tour,- so how shall they headline festivals.

Charlie Parker, Jimmy Hendrix and Miles died (naming only a few) ...

When they were still alive,- probably one of ´em were the headliners now, because everyone would sell the tickets needed to keep jazz festivals alive.

A.C.

"When I never had.....already"??? :confused:

Juxtapositioning The Beatles and The Rolling Stones is a false dichotomy. It has just been a concept some people would talk about. Even with the heavy party culture and drug association I don't think of The Rolling Stones as dirty. John Lennon lead the way becoming the first dirty hippie. But I don't think of him or The Beatles as being dirty either. Dirty would be something like Guns & Roses and their popularizing the white trash style. Not that there is anything wrong with that. There was a one hit wonder band whose lead singer was always dirty and smelled so bad he was kicked off a plane. That's dirty.

Same thing happens here in Brazil with Rock in Rio, with many artists having nothing "rock" about them and performing on the festival, even as headliners.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

This is a huge step down... not for the jazz festival, but for the Stones! I can't believe they're doing this. It must be because of Mick and Keith's love of southern blues (the heritage part of the festival).

For the Rolling Stones and Katy Perry two of the most highly produced artists to want to come play our festival, held in a tent, during the day with the scent of BBQ and oyster po-boys wafting over the field, thats just incredible.

I hear next year they're going to have Spinal Tap perform "Jazz Odyssey" (with a puppet show, of course).

"I can double the bass line. I've got two hands"

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Why don't they put Monty Alexander and Hiromi on the bill?. They can please a crowd more than a Helen Sung or Bill Charlap Trio. .

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Discussions of this have constituted about 50% of my Facebook feed over the last couple days, to the point that now all sides of all arguments about it are just pissing me off.

Fans and performers alike have long since accepted that the festival has been getting less jazz and/or "heritage" (whatever that conveniently ambiguous word might mean) and more commercial every year for years, though this year does seem to be the tipping point for a lot of people who no longer find it worth their while. It used to be a big deal for bands I was in to get a gig at the fest. Now I and most of my colleagues are pretty "meh" about it. If we make the lineup, great; if not, it's one fewer gig this year a pretty good paying gig, sure, but one with a larger-than-usual number of nontrivial headaches attached.

For anyone longing for the "old days" of Jazz Fest, I'll say what I've been saying for years: come to French Quarter Fest instead. It has basically become what Jazz Fest used to be, and it's free. You can even get the rose mint iced tea and crawfish bread that some people are so incomprehensibly obsessed with.

Best snarky comment I've seen about the whole situation: "I hope Katy Perry brings the sharks, so the festival organizers can come onstage and literally jump them."

Now that the smooth jazz draw has faded they need to expand to other commercial areas of popular music to keep paying the costs.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The annual Jazz Fest at Saratoga NY (which I've been attending, on and off, since 1985) always mixed R&B and fusion bands in with the more traditional jazzers. A typical day's line-up would be all traditional jazz from 12 noon until about 4:00, then some fusion or funk bands from 4:00 to 8:00, then they would bring out the "big guns" from 8:00 to midnight... and usually an R&B or soul based big star would close the show (examples: Patti LaBelle, George Benson, Al Jarreau, etc.)
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Archived