Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: forum interest

J. Dan

I don't know if it's personal, or topic based, but I've found over the years that sometimes I feel like I need to post on every single topic, and other times, I just have zero interest in anything for like a month. I don't know if it's me personally or just the natural cycle of topics.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm the same way. I come and go from the forum and my activity is more sparse lately. I'm a big fan of having a higher signal to noise ratio and only post or start threads on things that I'm super passionate about or have some degree of perspective vs. the feeling that I must pile on to +1 in a wide variety of threads. I've been on here a long time and there are some exceptions to my posting activity, but most of my post history is entrenched in quality over quantity and limited OT. By the way, I think this thread is more On Topic than Off Topic. :wave:

Honestly, Eric, I've probably followed you more on FB lately than here. No disrespect to the forum - just my point that topics rotate.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I read and post in threads that interest me and/or that I can contribute whether it is knowledge, wisdom or humor. :)

I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. This forum is my only semblance of social media.

I miss reading the chuckleheads I've gotten to know both virtually and in the real world. :D

Come back to the fold those of you who are fading away. Your signal to noise has never been in question. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I read and post in threads that interest me and/or that I can contribute whether it is knowledge, wisdom or humor. :)

I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. This forum is my only semblance of social media.

Likewise, at this point. I not only became disgusted with the revolting goat rodeo of it all, but it can easily become a massive time suck. Your comment reminded me of a NSFW Internet joke I can't bring myself to post here. Its a pretty good one, but you'd have to wash your hands after reading it. You're welcome. Even when KC seems a bit moribund, it still prods me into pondering my musical doings. Its an ongoing positive, so its natural ebb and flow are simply SOP.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I've been obsessing over the One as a complete and successful distraction from a world I really don't care about any more. Maybe sad, but true.

If people can't do any better, well, you make your bed, you sleep in it.

This economizes on posting bothe here and in the goodbye, midterms threads. :)

I'm a big fan of having a higher signal to noise ratio and only post or start threads on things that I'm super passionate about or have some degree of perspective vs. the feeling that I must pile on to +1 in a wide variety of threads.

And here's the +1.... which is kind of ironic given the subject and reply quoted...

TBH, I don't usually bother as no-one takes much notice. Even those posts where I have tried to pass on info based on a question by others are not noticed. So yeah, my interest to post is usually zero. I still don't mind reading from time to time.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I definitely get on to read every day. Sometimes multiple times, but it may be for a short time, like when I'm waiting for a mix to render. I don't typically post if someone else has already said the same thing.... Except in the case of this thread. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

This is my only daily active social medium -- no twit-gram or insta-book. I'd likely end up annoying people even more than I do in real life. I find myself doing the occasional +1 post, probably because I subconsciously want to reach 1000 postings by Christmas.

Hmm -- 23 to go, once I post this one. :-)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I don't know if it's personal, or topic based, but I've found over the years that sometimes I feel like I need to post on every single topic, and other times, I just have zero interest in anything for like a month. I don't know if it's me personally or just the natural cycle of topics.

Something about this post shows a desire to post something about something even when you have no interest in posting something. :crazy:

I read the forum every day, I post on the odd occasion that I feel that I have something to contribute, or when I need help.

Hence averaging under 300 posts a year, which is puny compared with some on here.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I tend to post when something catches my eye and I think I have something valuable and useful to share funny to say. (fixed)

I do get more interested when something is local, whether a post by a Bay Area KC'r, a local gig or style of music. It strikes a little more close to home and connects the dots between this great community and tangible real events, which is always nice.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I prefer posting in October, so I can read all the funny names..... :D

But haven't done much this October as I have been fighting a losing battle with my technology......... :(

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

You're not alone, Dan. I haven't checked the Forum posts for several days as genealogy and local history have been filling my time. I'm sorry to see that the photography thread has died as we had some good pictures from some very capable photographers, who now rarely post. But being 81 years old and out of the performing game for many years, I don't feel I can add much to assist modern players. But I still enjoy reading the posts - long may they continue.

Well I am a message board junkie. Facebook is not someplace I like to talk about this stuff...the format is clunky for it and doesn't fit.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I try to check in daily (often several times), but there is some ebb and flow contingent on the workload at my day gig. Definitely helps pass time while waiting in long lines at the grocery store, meat market, etc. Like some previous posters, this is my only social media outlet. I often read topics Im not necessarily interested in to learn something new. Brilliant group we have here. Enjoy many of the OT threads, as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Try searching for content on Facebook. Prefer message boards.

At least here you can sort posts to be in order. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

In all seriousness, I log on when I can. We have a limit of data per month on satellite (that's what happens when you live in rural forest I guess), so I can't always access things. I do what I can, but unfortunately, other things in life do take priority over internet activity. I might go for two weeks without checking. I tend to read a lot of threads that I have no way to help with for the info. I would like to think I've learned a lot.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

It's obvious from my post count to length of time here ratio that I don't post much. I do read the forum twice a day, every day. I often refrain from posting when I think I might come off as bragging, or a know-it-all, even though what I contemplated posting is true and/or relevant. I'm much more outgoing and less reticent in real life.

I am also humbled by the depth & breadth of talent and experience of so many people here.

HOWEVER, I will occasionally post something for no good reason except I'm feeling particularly happy/silly/intoxicated/etc.

I surf here daily, but dont post unless I can bring a valid perspective regardless of topic, or if my twisted sense of humor feels it needs to share something bizarre that other musos can relate to.

Keep it going.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I have taken seriously long breaks, sometimes a year or more. A new big release will usually bring me back to the forum. The MODX release brought me back recently.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

TBH, I don't usually bother as no-one takes much notice. Even those posts where I have tried to pass on info based on a question by others are not noticed. So yeah, my interest to post is usually zero. I still don't mind reading from time to time.

You might be surprised :) A number of times on FB (before I ditched it) I felt like nobody bothered to read my posts, since nobody would comment. Turns out a number of real life friends, when I saw them in the real world, would talk to me about them :D

Another thing about posting on these forums--you are very likely to be influencing (for better or worse!) WAY more people than you might think: google searches. A bunch of times I've ended up here when looking for info, and quite often I'll hit threads that I posted in! What's really funny is that I've started reading a post and I'll think "this guy is in my exact same situation!".....and I look over at the username ....and it's me.... :D

This.

Facebook is not someplace I like to talk about this stuff...the format is clunky for it and doesn't fit.

This too. It's hard for me to find anyone local that fills this niche aspect of my life. It's crazy to wonder how much different things would be if the resources of the internet were available when I was younger to advance what I knew about keyboards and synths!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Archived