Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: forum interest

J. Dan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing about posting on these forums--you are very likely to be influencing (for better or worse!) WAY more people than you might think: google searches. A bunch of times I've ended up here when looking for info, and quite often I'll hit threads that I posted in! What's really funny is that I've started reading a post and I'll think "this guy is in my exact same situation!".....and I look over at the username ....and it's me.... :D

A cautionary note: at least a couple times when I've sold gear on Craigslist I've had a potential buyer say "I searched for opinions about this keyboard and I found yours." Fortunately this didn't bite me, as I hadn't written anything too negative.

There's no question this forum has helped me make better gear choices. And I find that I have to stay tuned in to really make that process work at it's best.

But like everything else on the internet, it can also be a vessel into which we pour our time-wasting impulses.

From an emotional/intellectual standpoint, I lived the first 35 years of my life without being "connected" in the sense we now use that word. And I was fine. I have to periodically remind myself of that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have really slowed down with posting on the forum the past few years. It is hard to follow people on Facebook when I don't know their names but there is quite a few people here that I would not mind friending. Hey, I've conversed with people here for 10 years. I feel like many are my friends. If anyone wants to friend me send me a PM and I will send my Facebook info. You are not going to find me by searching for RABid. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One positive thing about the Internet is that, amazingly, you can occasionally make some useful comparisons between the X and Y axes of a thing. This thread reminds me of a Russian proverb: "When I look at myself, I am devastated. When I look at others, I feel consoled." I can only smart off about it because I've been the hero and I've worn the Ass Hat, so I appreciate the sweat required to keep working towards a rational middle ground. :like:

"I'm Doug Stanhope and that's why I drink."

~ Doug Stanhope

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I read the forum multiple times a day but only post in fits and spurts. Sometimes I have things to say, sometimes I don't.

\I'm sorry to see that the photography thread has died as we had some good pictures from some very capable photographers, who now rarely post.

The forum going offline 2 years ago effectively killed the photography thread. In the panic that ensued, Mike Martin put together a "KC Photo Club" facebook group as a place for us displaced forum photographers to collect. Further posting and discussion of photography mainly migrated over to that space. If you are on facebook, and friends with any of the members (me, Mike, XxKnuckles, Joe Muscara, Murman, and KenElevenShadows, among a few others whose forum handles I cannot remember) can add you to the group (it is a "secret" group so not publicly searchable)

Of course, maybe this a good reason to reboot the old photo thread?

TBH, I don't usually bother as no-one takes much notice. Even those posts where I have tried to pass on info based on a question by others are not noticed.

How can you tell? :idk:

Just because a post doesn't get a direct response doesn't mean it isn't read....or won't be read...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I was thinking some more and I think when I have time to check it daily Im more engaged. If I get busy and cant check for a while, some of the topics get too long for me to catch up in the amount of time I have, so I dont bother.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I was thinking some more and I think when I have time to check it daily Im more engaged. If I get busy and cant check for a while, some of the topics get too long for me to catch up in the amount of time I have, so I dont bother.

this seems fair enough

:nopity:

.....and Ive been more busy than usual with different types of meetings. Usually I travel every week, but tend to be alone in he hotel in the evening, so I jump online. And usually its like Tues-Thurs or something like that. The last 6 weeks have been more like sun-fri or at least mon-thurs with evening dinners, events, team building, etc every night.....barely time at home to dump my suitcase in he wash when I get home, then dryer back to the suitcase in my way out!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I find my interest mostly depends on what's going on in my life outside the forum.

I agree with this. Life/job has been a whirlwind, leaving nearly zero time to check into the forum recently.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Well for me 60% of the topics dont apply to me. I think because I am a player first. I like the talk about gear but the clonewheel wars have went on too long (since 2001) and I accept my role in feeding the fire at times.

Once Sal passed the Hammond and Leslie fascination just faded. Also my buddy in NJ doesnt really do anything as intensely as he did in the business. I still think finding Leslie speakers and Hammond consoles is cool but it doesnt give me the same rush. Once you get them they get expensive, you dont get your money back and every freakin one of them needs work. If you figure your time, labor, gas, chasing them down it becomes not worth it. At any rate things changed once I had to concentrate on lessons and filling gaps up in technique that I missed the last 21 years. There is more to music than gear. I love it dont get me wrong but I think the quality of musicianship is just not as good now and something changed for me in the last couple years..

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Some of you say you have a filter that keeps you from posting when you shouldn't for various reasons. I clearly don't have such problems...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived