Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vacation from keyboards?

rickzjamm

Hey guys,

Going on a two week family vacation & no room to pack any practice boards... ugh! Any advice on how to keep chops in shape? I'm always moving my fingers in scale patterns but is that & muscle memory enough?

Thanks

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just go enjoy your vacation! Forget about keyboards for a couple weeks. You will be fine when you come back!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Haha. Vacation... holiday... don't take work with you. That's crazy talk.

Try something else. Give the harmonica or a Uke a try if you must play. :)

I agree just find another hobby for a few days. Sometimes taking a break can give you incentive and more drive to be successful.

I'd say really take a vacation from all your work including music. Enjoy the ones your with , new places, and relax.

Two weeks won't hurt your technique but it will recharge your mind. I've found when taking breaks from music I come back sharper mentally and refreshed.

Safe travels and good times.

I've got a melodica.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Enjoy the reface! Don't forget to power up with the grand piano...........

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Visualization can increase skills almost as much as the actual doing. Also hearing what you are visualizing.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Visualization can increase skills almost as much as the actual doing. Also hearing what you are visualizing.

Play the changes in your head to all the tunes you know especially the ones that are slipping away

Visualize all the various voicings you know how to play on a chord

Visualize all the systems you know how to play in your left hand

Visualize a diminished chord moving up and down slowly and chromatically thru all 12 keys

Visualize all your blues scales and in 3rds

Tap tresillo rhythm over and over.

I do this sort of practice away from the keys, I enjoy it.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

No way would I go for 2 weeks without practicing in my head. I don't need a keyboard to do this. I would feel so unhappy if I let my music vanish for 2 weeks, because I know I would be losing something I love and am so dedicated too 24/7

We went up to Pacific Grove over the weekend of 6/17 for my birthday and our anniversary.

I was going to take the CP4 , as I had room in the Forester but last minute I said nah - just take a break. We left on Thursday morning and were home by 5 PM on Monday.

In the past, even for such a short time, I'd still always take my keyboard. But now the break feels good.

If it were over 5 days , I'd definitely be getting antsy and would have a keyboard with me, if we were driving. But I have gone a few days over 2 weeks , although only once, without touching a keyboard.

I didn't dig it.

Hey guys,

Going on a two week family vacation & no room to pack any practice boards... ugh! Any advice on how to keep chops in shape? I'm always moving my fingers in scale patterns but is that & muscle memory enough?

Thanks

I think a midi controller plus a laptop is a good idea if you are a song writer. Or just want to get in your daily finger exercises.

When I was in Maui for 10 days, I came up with important songs and parts. It was a tremendous vacation and I have 2 songs that bring back the great times.

I think there is no 1 answer for what to do musically on vacation. All answers are equally true. Thats Zen

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Just returned from 2 week vacation. No keys, but did play a guitar at family house, and did stop into a terrible guitar center for a quick fix one day. Feeling relaxed and ready to get back to work. It was nice to turn on the boards again when I got home.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

You shouldn't lose your chops in 2 weeks. If so, you have bigger issues. That said, if you just want to play, where are you going? Borrow, ship, or rent something...look for local jams, all kinds of options. You can fly with keyboards - musicians do it all the time. If you have advance notice and time to spare, shipping can be cheaper. Visit the local music store.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Going from San Antonio to Yellowstone reserved a cabin, three days driving. No board... I'll have to "Zen" the two weeks. It's not that I'm afraid of losing any playing facility, just know I'll get "out of shape ", I hate that. Oh well, as my piano teacher once told me ... deal with it.

Thanks for the input guys.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Any advice on how to keep chops in shape?

Vacation is great for just listening to music for pure enjoyment as time permits. Your ears and chops will be fine. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree with the "leave it at home" group. I've spoiled too many vacations by worrying so much about taking a keyboard and then adhering to a practice routine with the keyboard. We all need time off. Spend time doing things you cannot do at home, and with those that you care about. Do stay with mentally playing. You can recover from two weeks abstinence from the keyboard easily.

No, you won't lose your chops. But each day you lay off you revert backwards by 2 days...

With regards to taking a break from playing...

It's partially the physical/motor thing. And partly the musical mind thing. I have a regimen that includes playing thru some jazz standards on my song list. Playing thru some of them using passing diminished chords for example. My musical mind and my piano fingers can move thru them with some fluency - or they can falter. With this little (Yamaha Reface CP) keyboard I'll have to keep my chord voicings closer (within a 3 octave range). I think this will be a positive since it will challenge my musical mind.

I'll be in the N. Georgia mountains. Sitting with the keyboard on my lap on the front stoop will be a treat. I remember Stevie Wonder saying "my work is my play and my play is my work".

After the stint in the cabin I'm going to Asheville NC (my sister lives about 10 miles outside). I'm going to take some of my homemade demo CD's and look into trying for some (what I'll call) high end busking - in the lobby of a building that has a grand piano. Got nothing to lose by trying.

CME XKey Air 37.

+1

It's small and surprisingly playable

:2thu: +2

I take a three octave one and a 2octave one and string them together.. They fit in my suitcase if I fly. Lovely for composing. Fine for exercises. Ok for running through songs. I don't always use them, but I often do. There is nothing worse than really feeling like playing; having time to do so; but not having a piano...

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

A two week vacation is not going to hurt your chops. What I like to do it take something new with me. Something like and Elektron unit with a steep learning curve. Just me, and Elektron, manual, headphones, and most important, a balcony overlooking the ocean. That is a vacation. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived