Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vacation from keyboards?

rickzjamm

What's a vacation anyway? I like to get away from my day to day routine. I'm on vacation as I write this post. I thought about bringing a keyboard this time and decided "not this time". Then Saturday, out with a bunch of friends, there was an upright piano against the wall at a restaurant. my friends kept cheering for me to play so I ripped through two of my standards and got a standing ovation from the whole restaurant. Great fun and it feels good to be on vacation. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A two week vacation is not going to hurt your chops. What I like to do it take something new with me. Something like and Elektron unit with a steep learning curve. Just me, and Elektron, manual, headphones, and most important, a balcony overlooking the ocean. That is a vacation. :)

Came here to post exactly this, although in my case it was a Circuit, log fire and mountains! It was fun despite realising that the Circuit was too limiting (I sold it when I got home). Never would have had that opportunity otherwise though, and I did learn a fair bit about drum programming, so definitely not wasted time.

No, you won't lose your chops. But each day you lay off you revert backwards by 2 days...

Jazz I hear you with this but the average player on the forum probably isn't worried about that. Running a band and working I barely have time for myself.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Outcaster, agreed. I hardly practice during the week because I'm so busy. When I do practice, it's to learn songs, not keep my chops up. I've been playing for 47 years. If I lose 2 days for every day I don't practice, I have a long way to go to revert back to a beginner. I'm no virtuoso but I can cover the situations I'm hired for with no problem.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Me too. During the school year I take lessons because Hochstiein Music School goes by the kids school year but I am really busy in the summer. Most times I can't even work out.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I always take my AX-Synth (aka my zero-string bass) -- 37 keys, 128 note polyphony, damper pedal input) and a small 15-watt bass amp with me. I use it as a pink noise generator at night, and occasionaly even play the thing.

PLenty of room in the van for that; I dunno where I would put the Harvard Classics though.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Archived