Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Obsessed with Moog’s small but powerful Minitaur.  Been lurking on Reverb and Ebay for months, finally scored used one at an awesome price. 

Love how it integrates with its editor like a regular plug in.  Also compact size.  It's a one trick pony, but what a trick.  It sounds amazing.

In background is my ailing custom ’72 Chopped Midi-Mini. Saving to have it fully re$tored sometime this summer:   found a great repair guy in Alabama, as it needs work beyond my skillset. 

In the meantime, I've been using plugins.  I actually think in the upper ranges,  with FX, and  in context of a mix - stuff like the superb MiniMonsta2 can fool anyone… including me.    But I can always hear and tell the difference in the low end when it's a pure dry sound. 

As shown in the  "Analog playpen corner" pic,  I've no problem with Behringer's clones.   Considered a Boog Model D as stand-in,  but have really missed the real deal.    Plus needed something that could do presets for recall.   For what they offer, Minataur is actually a great value.   Trying to finish up some new music release, and this will be all over it. 

IMG_5141.JPG

• Like 3

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

A bit OT, but which Kurzweil is that?  PC?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

53 minutes ago, justin_havu said:

A bit OT, but which Kurzweil is that? 

Wow- great eye!!! Yes ancient PC88  used  for years as a silent studio controller. Use the faders & Xtouch Mini for control.   Overdue for studio makeover,  and going to swap in retired slab piano.  Would love the Mac-daddy  Kawai, but too pricey.

Favorite essential purchase,  just visible under the Barp:  Tiny red metal table from the Dollar store -holds endless cups of coffee and tea.

IMG_5144.JPG

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I KNEW those wheels and that end cheek looked familiar.  I had a PC2X for a couple years.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

My YC73 arrived on Friday. I love it. Such a great feeling action and really intuitive knobs and switches. Beyond presets, I've never been too much of an Organ man but have been having great fun with the drawbars. Some really great effects in the machine too. Everything I used to loathe about Yamaha, eg, endless menu diving, has been addressed. This is a players board. Slightly sad to be selling the NE5 73HP as it looks and sounds the part, but I won't miss that rickety TP100 action. 

• Like 3

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Picked up a used Nord Stage 3 on Saturday. Now I can use the White Grand, and I can also now have splits between a really good EP sound and a really good organ sound! I am still using my Roland FA-07 for multiple sounds and specialized splits, so it's not going away, but this Nord Stage 3 will open up a lot of new options for what I can do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O interface.  Using it to connect my iPad (GSI Genuine Sounds app) to my Mojo Classic lower manual, via MIDI.  They have a "Duo" version that has balanced, stereo TRS outs and two XLR ins, if you need that; stereo headphone out is enough for me.  Comes with Lightning, USB-B, and USB-C connectors.

spacer.png

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

On 4/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, Brad Kaenel said:

IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O interface.  Using it to connect my iPad (GSI Genuine Sounds app) to my Mojo Classic lower manual, via MIDI.  They have a "Duo" version that has balanced, stereo TRS outs and two XLR ins, if you need that; stereo headphone out is enough for me.  Comes with Lightning, USB-B, and USB-C connectors.

Very cool that it supports power delivery to charge an iThing. Shame about the proprietary connectors and mini-TRS MIDI connectors. Hopefully others will be inspired to offer power delivery on audio interfaces.

Cheers, Mike.

Tried a Cory Wong Strat in the music shop.  Generally sounds like - well, a Strat.  One exception is the bridge pickup, which sounds thicker and more overdrive-ready than typical Strat bridge pickups.

I ended up buying it because I liked the feel of the compound radius neck and the light weight.   The wood grain showing through the finish is cool too.

0a8b68a178b7ae9ed568be64d266f083ab03b7e9

There are some quirks with this Strat:

- When the open D string is played, an overtone of about a 5th plus couple of octaves up quickly emerges. Probably a flaw in how the nut was cut.

- Fretted notes on the B string, from 10th fret and up sound as if a lowpass filter is opening. There’s no obvious wear on the frets, but I’m not a guitar tech expert. Since these are fretted notes, I doubt the nut is at fault there.  This guitar was on display in the shop, so maybe it got a bit worn from passing through enough hands.

Overall It's a keeper.

Oh and I also bought a Snark Air - their new USB rechargeable clip-on tuner.

• Like 2

Got an OnStage KS7292 2-tier stand a little over a week ago.

Yes, it's an X-stand, so sue me!

Feels solid, quick setup, 2nd tier has height and depth adjustment.  Only thing I hate about it is the main supports are a bit short, at 14" in length.  Other than that, it feels nice and solid.  Haven't tried anything really heavy on it yet, such as my 01/W Pro-X, but time will tell.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, mountainjammer said:

Not my main rig, but wanted a beach jam and boat portable (12 lbs, with speakers and battery powered), and it has pumped new life into my cp-4! Finally a small portable board with good sounds and live control. The cp-4 pairing is an unexpected bonus.

BE9DA385-9E0D-43B5-9E96-95F56A796198.jpeg

05D7FE92-F991-4644-BB30-5FDBAF89408C.jpeg

Nice rig, what are those silver bars holding up the CK?

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

IK multimedia 'B3x'  Hammond B3 software ....... Run in standalone mode, and played using the MIDI outs from my old Yamaha HC2.  

So, with only 44 note manuals, not exactly a full range B3 -- more like the 'baby B' - the M.100 ( the model of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' fame ).....

Using a cheap 9 slider MIDI controller (one of these: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-MiniControl-MIDI-Controller/P6D  ) for effective drawbar and preset control...

Sounds great! --- closest I've ever had my own tonewheel Hammond!  🙂

( Yamaha spinet organs with MIDI from around 1990 can often be found on Ebay for £100 or less -- and many are easy to dis-assemble and fit onto to back of most standard cars..... )

HC2.2.thumb.jpg.a6860de9d40ef12c765d9780d516c239.jpg

• Like 4
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

Best board to come out in years.

I agree!  I am smitten!  This thing is powerful!  I could in some cases, cover a gig with it alone!  I am glad I opted for the 88 action, feels great!   

• Like 2

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues