Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Casio could move up another level... Privia PX7?

The Piano Man

I agree, the PX-5S practically eliminates any reason for the A88 to exist. The only real advantage I see to it is that it has two expression pedal inputs (vs. none). Other than that, the PX5S has much more functionality overall, plus built in sounds, plus lighter travel weight, and what seems to generally be considered a better action.

I even have a hard time seeing why someone would choose an RD64 over a PX5S, though I understand some people may want something 8" less wide, or prefer the Roland piano sound.

Well, there are people who prefer Roland's action to Casio's. Or maybe weight isn't a consideration, or they have no need for internal sounds. These are all valid reasons why someone could choose the A-88 (or the RD-64) over the 5S.

Though there is considerable demand for 76 keys on this forum, I don't think it constitutes the majority of keyboard players on the planet.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have to add the most important question these kinds thread. How much MORE are you willing to pay for the extra features?

Mike - good question - rubber meets road!

Given current $1K dp marketplace - growing, competitive, feature-laden, multi-format - it would serve Casio well to enhance and diversify the Privia Pro line, ASAP. Yes, there will be incremental retool and design costs associated with offering 76 & 61 key versions. But, heck, you gotta spend to make and you have extensive experience with 76 & 61 keys in your WK series.

The PX-5S is getting great reviews - 2 thumbs-up as gig-ready pro board that offers great value. Carpe Diem! When you've worked so hard for so long to gain this tremendous market momentum it's the opportune time to keep the brand in motion = add more value, add more choice, more features and, for sure, more versions!

Immediate investment of time, budget and resources to enhance and expand Privia Pro with features that users are asking for, along with 76 and 61 key versions, will reap exponential and immediate return on investment = increased sales, increased marketshare and, most importantly, increased mind-share brand-respect with the pro/semi-pro player base!

So, to answer your question "how much more would I be willing to pay?" - no more than the current pricing! Casio set the bar at $1K US. The model is selling and making you a decent profit. Your next 88-key model will be the same price or less. You don't really have a choice in this.

Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc. are not sitting idle as you eat their lunch. They're readying new products, new formats and new features to counter attack the PX-5S. You need to stay ahead, branch-out and expand your user base/marketshare - now!!!!! And your most potent differentiation is price!

So, pricing on your next Privia Pro:

PX-?S 88-key $1,000

PX-?S 76-key $900

PX-?S 61-key $800

Can't wait to see 'em in action.

Dattaa

Why do most want an internal PS? One of the features I like about the Privia's is the weight. With extra features comes extra weight and cost, which defeat the purpose of a light weight, moderately priced board. Which is what Casio markets. And what I feel, the market needs. If Casio were to do a 7 model, they could swap features, change the feel of the board, but for heavens sake..leave it at 23lbs. As far as price, I feel the price of many boards are a tad high..its easy to type 4100., but if I say it..four THOUSAND One hundred dollars, well then. Price for Casio,

PX3 499, PX5 699, PX7? 899.

Why do most want an internal PS?

The short and sweet answer is because line lumps and wall warts suck!

The lead from the lump/wart to the device is usually cheap tiny gauge wire - which is more easily damaged than the normal 18 gauge 3 conductor IEC power cable.

The combination of the connector and DC power jack on whatever device it's powering is more prone to failure than the typical IEC connection.

Put simply - the reliability/durability factor is low.

Plus, it's tougher to replace a line lump/wall wart cable if/when it gets lost. Standard IEC cables are readily available.

I'll happily schlepp the extra pound or two that an internal power supply adds to a keyboard rather than deal with a wall wart or line lump.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

y guess is that the PX -5S will be around for awhile.

What I would like to see Casio get into would be something like the Nord Electro - something with non weighted keys that does clonewheel organs and electric pianos at an affordable price with a lightweight package.

I think Casio could do better with the "extra sounds" that the Hammond SK1 or Roland VR09 too - because they listen to us, and could use some people on this list to consult with regarding authenticity of sounds.

What I would like to see Casio get into would be something like the Nord Electro - something with non weighted keys that does clonewheel organs and electric pianos at an affordable price with a lightweight package.

That's kind of what the XW-P1 is. It would be nice to see a 73-key version with aftertouch and some sonic improvements, and maybe some flash sample storage (which they have in the XW-G1).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I see both sides of this one. The external ones lower production costs and size/weight of the units, but are also more easily damaged, and can leave you in a hole if they are lost/forgotten.

I think the best external PSUs are the line lumps with a detachable IEC standard power cord (preferably the most common C14 type, though the C8 "figure 8" style is also common enough). If your case permits, you can often even velcro those to the unit itself, and then you can kind of have best of both worlds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The lead from the lump/wart to the device is usually cheap tiny gauge wire - which is more easily damaged than the normal 18 gauge 3 conductor IEC power cable.

The combination of the connector and DC power jack on whatever device it's powering is more prone to failure than the typical IEC connection.

Put simply - the reliability/durability factor is low.

Plus, it's tougher to replace a line lump/wall wart cable if/when it gets lost. Standard IEC cables are readily available.

I'll happily schlepp the extra pound or two that an internal power supply adds to a keyboard rather than deal with a wall wart or line lump.

Or say, a bunch of AA batteries? :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Point well taken by Dataa... Mike, strike while the iron's hot. Hey it's easy for us owners & potential owners of Casio to be Monday morning quarterbacks but we ARE your market!! You really have all the big dogs on the block re-thinking their game. BTW, you had me at "lightweight".
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

That's kind of what the XW-P1 is. It would be nice to see a 73-key version with aftertouch and some sonic improvements, and maybe some flash sample storage (which they have in the XW-G1).

Definately! If the XW had the AiR engine of the PX-5S and a better keyboard with 73 keys it would be killer.

update: And an expression pedal!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Definately! If the XW had the AiR engine of the PX-5S and a better keyboard with 73 76 keys with aftertouch it would be killer.

update: And an expression pedal!

There. I fixed that for ya.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

For a PX5S Pro "Plus" ... including:

Internal Power Supply

Bigger Screen, XW-Style, with better definition

Aftertouch on the keyboard

Upright Piano sample set

Power On/Off Button moved to the back

2 more Audio Outs

x/y touch pad

Dual Midi In/Out ports (DIN)

4 in x 8 out audio interface

9-Track step sequencer from the XW line.

Half Pedaling and expression pedal input

Easy zone on/off switching (dedicated buttons?)

No more than 2 extra kgs. versus the current model.

88-key weighted: 1299$

76-key semi-weighted waterfall keys: 1149$

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can fit a PX-5S in most cars, even small ones...I had to angle and lift one side before closing the door to fit it in a smaller car once but it still fit.

It's 88 keys but very light and compact, I can't see how there would be enough value in making a 76 key version to make it worth it.

Dual Midi In/Out ports (DIN)

One interesting thing about the PX-5S (and XW-series) is that the USB MIDI and standard MIDI ports are independent. So one zone can control a regular MIDI device while another can independently drive a iPad or computer.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

How many keyboards have dual MIDI in/out?

It's 88 keys but very light and compact, I can't see how there would be enough value in making a 76 key version to make it worth it.
That's my thinking too. I used to think I wanted a 76-key board, but I'd far rather have an 88 that's the same size as my 76! Plus I play on some pretty tiny stages. Guys taking the Metro might want it, and there may be other cases where those 6 1/2" are critical, but I wouldn't expect it to be a big enough group to justify the overhead.

That's my thinking too. I used to think I wanted a 76-key board, but I'd far rather have an 88 that's the same size as my 76! Plus I play on some pretty tiny stages. Guys taking the Metro might want it, and there may be other cases where those 6 1/2" are critical, but I wouldn't expect it to be a big enough group to justify the overhead.

Jeff, factoring in MIDI Controller>tablet/PC + portable/practice/homerecord + batt-pwrd/mobile/editable Synth ( all dynamically-growing markets = smart future sales), along with the legacy prosumer 88-key Stage DP core market, there'll be quite a nice bump in Casio sales and share by offering PX-7S w/ 88/76/61-keybeds and the extra features users are asking for.

Casio has shown the resolve and resources to address these developing, high-growth market opportunities and lead, innovate and lap their competition at the $1K price point. It just requires budget, resources and vision!

... there'll be quite a nice bump in Casio sales and share by offering PX-7S w/ 88/76/61-keybeds and the extra features users are asking for.

Casio has shown the resolve and resources to address these developing, high-growth market opportunities and lead, innovate and lap their competition at the $1K price point. It just requires budget, resources and vision!

With all due respect, the word "just" is a bit naive.

Manufacturing and selling multiple versions of a keyboard greatly exasperates overhead and logistics (design, procurement, manufacturing space, after-sales service, documentation/schematics, spare parts, shipping cartons, training methods, component life cycles, etc. etc. etc.).

Is it doable? Yes.

Will it cost more? You betcha!

Steve Coscia

With all due respect, the word "just" is a bit naive.

Manufacturing and selling multiple versions of a keyboard greatly exasperates overhead and logistics (design, procurement, manufacturing space, after-sales service, documentation/schematics, spare parts, shipping cartons, training methods, component life cycles, etc. etc. etc.).

Is it doable? Yes.

Will it cost more? You betcha!

Casio has taken risk and shown resolve to capture current market opportunities. They lead, innovate and lap their competition at the $1K price point. To stay out front and maintain momentum demands executive will, strategic vision and top-to-bottom teamwork!

They lead, innovate and lap their competition at the $1K price point.

They are great at value for the dollar; but one way they can do that is by making design decisions that help them economize. So for example, the initial fabrication cost for the basic housing is high. By using the same shell molds, they can amortize that cost over numerous models (i.e. PX-150, PX-350, PX-5S). It will be expensive to create a new shell for a 76-key variant. So questions they would want to consider would be, could that shell also be used repeatedly? And, do the people who buy the 76-key variants represent incremental sales (people who otherwise would have bought a competitor's model, if anything), or are they largely people who, absent a 76 key version, would have likely bought an 88-key Casio anyway? If the latter, since the 76-key version would sell for no more than (and probably less than) the 88, then the production of a 76 could mean they are spending a lot of money for the purpose of generating no more (and possibly less) revenue. So it is not a no-brainer.

I suspect they would be keeping an eye on the sales of the Roland RD-64 to see how significant a market there is for a less wide weighted action board. And then, if the idea seems appealing, I think they might consider something with more than 64 keys (to out-do the Roland), but maybe still less than 76, to maintain a bigger size difference from the 88 (and to keep it no wider than the Roland, or maybe even a bit narrower).

I have found it useless to point out manufacturing realities to musicians.
Yes, even ones that claim to be engineers.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"Imagine" a combination keyboard that has both weighted and unweighted keys? An 88 weighted at the bottom and a 49 or 61 Hammond type keys and sounds "insert and play" optionally detachable (for weight and transportation) on the top right? I bet Casio could do this at the same price points as the PX-5s and XW-P1 with a smaller, lighter, narrower (depth) version of the XW-P1 on top, with improved Clone capabilities. Or just have all the sound engines built in to the main board (PX) with the engines switchable to the weighted or unweighted keys. I bet this could be limited to 30lbs. Everything you need on one board and single level stand.

"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one."

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

We want the features we want, at the price we want, at the quality we want, at the timetable we want. And are upset when our exact vision isn't realized.

Yeah, no kidding. Anyway, I'm confident that Casio's marketing department knows a lot more than we do about the keyboard market. If they do come out with a 76-key version I'll be surprised.

I wouldn't be so surprised to see a later model for both PX-5S and XW-P1 lines, where the two are much more similar internally but keep their current form factors. The hardest part about that would be what to call it! PX-XW and XW-PX? :)

We want the features we want, at the price we want, at the quality we want, at the timetable we want. And are upset when our exact vision isn't realized.

Absolutely. I have trained myself not to engage on this topic. If you haven't worked in a production environment in a for-profit enterprise it really isn't possible to understand (or care about) the challenges involved in making a seemingly simple modification.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I wouldn't be so surprised to see a later model for both PX-5S and XW-P1 lines, where the two are much more similar internally but keep their current form factors.

I assumed that Casio would next combine WK-7500, XW-P1 and PX-5S into a 88 key, weighted action Workstation with killer synth capabilities. They'd have to add a little extra sizzle in the display/user interface department. Of course, an IPAD app would nicely enhance any display shortcomings.

Steve Coscia

1. Add support for powering the board through USB.

2. Strike a deal with some keyboard case maker to come up with a super light weight hard case which includes an embedded stand.

3. Whatever you do, avoid adding weight at all cost.

Archived