Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Casio could move up another level... Privia PX7?

The Piano Man

I spent some time trying to decide how to divide 9 drawbars among 6 sliders. In the end, I mapped the first 5 sliders to the lower 5 drawbars, and reserved the 6th slider for the 1' bar.

While obviously not as nice as 9 sliders, I assume you could program the other 3 drawbars to 3 of the 4 knobs? Or are those all taken up with other functions for you?

I tend to "grab and go" with drawbars. It's more of a shape thing than a methodical setup for me. So having "drawbars" in two places wouldn't work. And yes, due to the lack of switches and pedal input, I have the knobs controlling expression(!), plus some of the chorus/percussion functions.

For that, and for the hard switches you mention, would it be practical to add a Korg Nanokey? Or is your Surface already bordering on spaghetti? ;-) Where to put it could be an issue, but I think it might be small and light enough to velcro kind of above the display.

No more spaghetti!!! But beyond that, using the PX as a VB3 controller is obviously not ideal, due to the action, so I shan't be spending sleepless nights trying to make it into the perfect controller. However, others may find your suggestion worth investigating.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing that would help enormously, is an adjustable tablet holder as part of the battery cover design.

This is actually a pretty easy mod if you don't mind drilling a couple holes into your battery cover.

I thought about that, but decided that it's too new to be drilling holes in it! I also wondered about ripping out the blue plastic strip to see if the slot for the music stand is underneath, as with the PX-350 (I bet it is), but again I'm too squeamish to take the plunge!.

We have spare covers in stock.

Mike, thanks for chiming in. What's the ordering info for the spare covers?

Edit: While I think about it, I noticed that the aux audio input cannot cope with signals from the Surface - it finds them too hot, and yet if I turn down to an acceptable level of gain, the sound is too low. While I'm testing, I have the Surface plugged into the aux input on my VR-09, and that has no problem with the signal. I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue, but it would be good to have hotter signal handling on the list for an update, as it would be so useful to be able to plug straight into the Casio aux.

ADino,

Physically the changes are not too substantial. They did some things to eliminate the side to side key movement but the rest of the the mechanics are not that different.

I suspect you might be feeling the "Hammer Response" feature in the PX-5S. In version 1.00 of the firmware it is active on all the Stage Settings, in later versions I eliminated it on all sounds except the Grand Piano. Some people like playing it with it on others for the reason you mentioned prefer it off.

Hey Mike,

Are you saying that theres an update that changes the actual feel of the keybed? If Im to understand, the hammer response you mentioned? So, not to be a nuudge, but if you update a 5, it wont feel sluggish? And can it be turned off on ALL of the patches..ie: the grand piano?

Thanks for the info.

ADino,

"Hammer Response" is a feature that was implemented in all of the current generation Privia models. On some models like the PX-5S it is adjustable.

Basically it is a sort of dynamic latency that occurs to simulate the time it takes for the hammer to strike the strings in an acoustic grand. I say dynamic because the time varies at different ranges of the keyboard and also based on the velocity you're playing. It doesn't change the physical feel, but it impacts your perception of the feel.

I've heard some players who own the PX-5S suggest that the action is "sluggish" like you said. After making adjustments to the Hammer Response parameter they no longer have an issue.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Edit: While I think about it, I noticed that the aux audio input cannot cope with signals from the Surface - it finds them too hot, and yet if I turn down to an acceptable level of gain, the sound is too low. While I'm testing, I have the Surface plugged into the aux input on my VR-09, and that has no problem with the signal. I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue, but it would be good to have hotter signal handling on the list for an update, as it would be so useful to be able to plug straight into the Casio aux.

Have you tried adjusting the EXTERNAL VOLUME setting?

I've heard some players who own the PX-5S suggest that the action is "sluggish" like you said. After making adjustments to the Hammer Response parameter they no longer have an issue.

My take on sluggishness is that the keys seem slightly slow to return. I find quick high-velcoty same note repetition easier on some other boards (third sensor really isn't a factor here). Maybe it's not actually a slow return, maybe its some other phenomenon that's giving me that impression, but that's how it feels psychologically at least. And there are other boards that feel at least as sluggish, it's not a board-specific or brand-specific complaint, but there are also boards that feel quicker.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My take on sluggishness is that the keys seem slightly slow to return. I find quick high-velcoty same note repetition easier on some other boards (third sensor really isn't a factor here).

+1

It's not the fastest action in the world, but is the best I've come across in a 25lbs board.

It doesn't change the physical feel, but it impacts your perception of the feel.

My perception when I sit down at the PX-350, is that I'm playing a piano. So whatever the fixed setting of this parameter is on this model, it is apparently right on the money at least for me. I would think that even knowing of the existence of this setting as an adjustable parameter would present a "grand" opportunity to overthink the problem.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

It doesn't change the physical feel, but it impacts your perception of the feel.

My perception when I sit down at the PX-350, is that I'm playing a piano. So whatever the fixed setting of this parameter is on this model, it is apparently right on the money at least for me. I would think that even knowing of the existence of this setting as an adjustable parameter would present a "grand" opportunity to overthink the problem.

Agreed, I think it is great but there have been some players that have had issue. Tom Brislin was one, after making the change it was perfect for his style of playing. This particular technology is unique to Casio digital pianos and I think it really adds something to the instrument.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Have you tried adjusting the EXTERNAL VOLUME setting?

Thanks for that! I hadn't made the mental connection between that and the aux input gain. I'll give it a shot.

Just tried it. Unfortunately it only affects the output volume (from the aux input), not the input gain, so distortion is still there.

ADino,

"Hammer Response" is a feature that was implemented in all of the current generation Privia models. On some models like the PX-5S it is adjustable.

Basically it is a sort of dynamic latency that occurs to simulate the time it takes for the hammer to strike the strings in an acoustic grand. I say dynamic because the time varies at different ranges of the keyboard and also based on the velocity you're playing. It doesn't change the physical feel, but it impacts your perception of the feel.

curious if this "Hammer response" parameter applies to external sounds as well (triggering let's say a virtual piano), or is it only an adjustment for internal sounds.

thanks.

One thing they could do is add internal speakers like the new Yamaha CP-4.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

My take on sluggishness is that the keys seem slightly slow to return. I find quick high-velcoty same note repetition easier on some other boards (third sensor really isn't a factor here). Maybe it's not actually a slow return, maybe its some other phenomenon that's giving me that impression, but that's how it feels psychologically at least. And there are other boards that feel at least as sluggish, it's not a board-specific or brand-specific complaint, but there are also boards that feel quicker.

Good explanation Scott, I get the same impression.

Guess that means Im not going to see a px4 lol.

Thanks for the comeback Mike.

Archived