Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Casio could move up another level... Privia PX7?

The Piano Man

1. Add support for powering the board through USB.

2. Strike a deal with some keyboard case maker to come up with a super light weight hard case which includes an embedded stand.

3. Whatever you do, avoid adding weight at all cost.

Awesome avatar!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like a new board more like the PX-3, a stripped down DP without all the bells and whistles of the PX-5S, with new acoustic/electric piano samples and went back to the lighter action found on the PX-310 which I preferred. I don't need built in power, the new power supplies they make are fine with me, but I would like better quality audio jacks and volume knob, the only time I feel like I'm using a cheap board is when I plug in and turn up the volume.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can fit a PX-5S in most cars, even small ones...I had to angle and lift one side before closing the door to fit it in a smaller car once but it still fit.

It's 88 keys but very light and compact, I can't see how there would be enough value in making a 76 key version to make it worth it.

I think if those who believe they need a 73-76 version would use the current one for a few months, they'd come to the conclusion that maybe they really didn't need a shorter keybed after all.

It's super easy to transport as it is, and it's only 52" long. I've found at home, in a car, or on a stage it's no problem... and if you can't find just 52" of room somewhere to set up on a gig, well (as the nursery rhyme goes) God bless you! :D

if you can't find just 52" of room somewhere to set up on a gig, well (as the nursery rhyme goes) God bless you! :D

That's when the helpful guitarist suggests you set up on the dance floor.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Ok humor me for a bit here. Hold you hand out. Mine is about 6" long to the forefinger (about the space you'd save with 76 keys versus 88). If you went to your helpful guitarist, held your hand up (without flipping him off with your middle finger), and said "I can shrink my setup space by this much" would he change his mind?

In those situations my tactic was always to carve out slightly more territory than I needed so when the guitarist showed up (late and after everyone else has humped the PA in), I could begrudgingly cede a few precious inches to make room for his pedal board or hairspray or whatever.

-Mark Twain

In those situations my tactic was always to carve out slightly more territory than I needed so when the guitarist showed up (late and after everyone else has humped the PA in), I could begrudgingly cede a few precious inches to make room for his pedal board or hairspray or whatever.

:thu:

Steve Coscia

lol, love it!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

They are great at value for the dollar; but one way they can do that is by making design decisions that help them economize. So for example, the initial fabrication cost for the basic housing is high. By using the same shell molds, they can amortize that cost over numerous models (i.e. PX-150, PX-350, PX-5S).

It's a smart method.. kind of what the automakers do. They did the same thing with the XW's... take the speakers out of a CTK, add some extra controls where they used to be on the left and a rubber pad on the right for a tablet, vent, effects box, etc. :)

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2e52yat.jpg

2. Strike a deal with some keyboard case maker to come up with a super light weight hard case which includes an embedded stand.

Awesome avatar!

http://www.317x.com/albums/d/lennydee/enlargement.jpg

For me: all of this and nothing more (minus the stand...just the case, USB power/midi, and weight.)

I would like a new board more like the PX-3, a stripped down DP without all the bells and whistles of the PX-5S, with new acoustic/electric piano samples and went back to the lighter action found on the PX-310 which I preferred. I don't need built in power, the new power supplies they make are fine with me, but I would like better quality audio jacks and volume knob, the only time I feel like I'm using a cheap board is when I plug in and turn up the volume.

Id go for this idea.

"Imagine" a combination keyboard that has both weighted and unweighted keys? An 88 weighted at the bottom and a 49 or 61 Hammond type keys and sounds "insert and play" optionally detachable (for weight and transportation) on the top right? I bet Casio could do this at the same price points as the PX-5s and XW-P1 with a smaller, lighter, narrower (depth) version of the XW-P1 on top, with improved Clone capabilities. Or just have all the sound engines built in to the main board (PX) with the engines switchable to the weighted or unweighted keys. I bet this could be limited to 30lbs. Everything you need on one board and single level stand.

Here it is:The PXW-88/49 (Dear Casio, arrange the controls/LCD however you wish) Maybe an all-in one would be better?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/2layerboard.jpg

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

My boss here at Casio (although not a keyboard player) has quite a vintage Casio keyboard collection started. He just brought this one in today.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/casio_dm100.jpg

That is what your picture reminded me of. :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

My boss here at Casio (although not a keyboard player) has quite a vintage Casio keyboard collection started. He just brought this one in today.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/casio_dm100.jpg

That is what your picture reminded me of. :)

There you go- a prototype already! Are those mini or full size keys?

I recently bought a iLoud 40W bluetooth speaker that sounds really quite good. I have played the various iPad synths through it using a vortex keytar as a controller. It sounded so good for just jamming at home it got me to thinking. If I had a lightweight piano that ran on batteries like Casio's offerings and it had a built in bluetooth I could play it anywhere regardless of the availability power of power.

You can do this now, the iLoud has a line input that you can use with the PX-5S, you don't need to use Bluetooth.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That DM-100 is a rare little beast... and it samples! :)

This is the only other dual-manual Casio I have seen.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/fxcv0x.jpg

I read that Casio only made 100 of these. Typical 80's styling and 8 note Polyphony!

Ive got an idea, striped down version of the 5 with the piano soundset of the 5, the action of the 3

I really didn't care for the PX3 era action. OTOH, I really like my old PX-500L, and prefer that even to the new Casio actions!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd really just like to see some trickle-down happen, Put the EP technology from the PX-5s put into the PX-350. An added bonus would be some EQ controls on the front panel. Call it a PX-355 or something, hopefully at the same or similar price point.

I'd really just like to see some trickle-down happen, Put the EP technology from the PX-5s put into the PX-350. An added bonus would be some EQ controls on the front panel. Call it a PX-355 or something, hopefully at the same or similar price point.

I don't think it's unreasonable to pay $200 more for everything that's in the PX5S over the PX350. I only hesitated because I wished I didn't have to lose the speakers. But it would be nice if the PX350 had better EP and organ. Even the EP and organ from the older PX3 were better than what was in the PX350, which surprised me. I didn't expect the editability or other features of the PX3, but I thought they'd at least use the newer, improved basic samples for those things.

I don't think it's unreasonable to pay $200 more for everything that's in the PX5S over the PX350. I only hesitated because I wished I didn't have to lose the speakers. But it would be nice if the PX350 had better EP and organ. Even the EP and organ from the older PX3 were better than what was in the PX350, which surprised me. I didn't expect the editability or other features of the PX3, but I thought they'd at least use the newer, improved basic samples for those things.

My apologies, I wasn't clear. I'd want the benefit of the speakers to use for practice and small rehearsals. The PX350 has nice APs, but I find the EPs lacking. A decent drawbar emulation would be bonus. I would use it almost exclusively for piano, so the synth part of the PX5s is not important to me. EQ and simple effects (reverb, tremolo, chorus, phaser) are the only adjustments I'd like to see. Other than that, keep it simple.

I'd love to see some of that great Mike Martin, Jerry K, and or Dave Weiser programming in the PX-350 replacement as well as the other non-programmable PX series models.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ive got an idea, striped down version of the 5 with the piano soundset of the 5, the action of the 3

I really didn't care for the PX3 era action. OTOH, I really like my old PX-500L, and prefer that even to the new Casio actions!

I didnt either when I got a 3, but its broken in nicely and works well for me. On the other hand, Ive tried the 5 numerous times, and as much as I want to like it, I just cant seem to get a handle on the feel which is a bit sluggish. Ive played it thru decent speakers in stereo also, and the piano is very doable. Never seen a 500, but if they ever did do a 5 sounding, 3 action box, Id buy one today.

ADino,

Physically the changes are not too substantial. They did some things to eliminate the side to side key movement but the rest of the the mechanics are not that different.

I suspect you might be feeling the "Hammer Response" feature in the PX-5S. In version 1.00 of the firmware it is active on all the Stage Settings, in later versions I eliminated it on all sounds except the Grand Piano. Some people like playing it with it on others for the reason you mentioned prefer it off.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

One thing that would help enormously, is an adjustable tablet holder as part of the battery cover design.

Over the past few days, I've been setting up a Surface Pro to work with the PX. Because the 5S and PT work so well together (almost like they were made for each other) I wracked my brains for a secure way to hold the tablet. In the end, the simplest solution was to remove the battery cover, tie three (thin) elastic strips around it, and then replace the cover. The Surface slots inside the exposed strips of elastic and is held reasonably securely, with all ports still accessible. It's very low tech but it works. However, an expandable tray would be so much better. (Of course, if a future model had provision for a music rest, the tablet could also be propped on that.)

A couple of other things came to mind while I was setting up software. I have VB3 running alongside Pianoteq. Occasionally I might want to use the PX without a second tier board. I spent some time trying to decide how to divide 9 drawbars among 6 sliders. In the end, I mapped the first 5 sliders to the lower 5 drawbars, and reserved the 6th slider for the 1' bar. I reasoned that those are the drawbars I use most frequently, and for full drawbars I could use one of VB3's preset keys. Although I also tend to use "U" shapes quite often, I could set those up as presets, too. The result is very workable, but a full set of nine sliders would be very nice to have.

The lack of switches is also slightly problematic. It's great to be able to program the sliders, knobs, pedals and wheels to just about anything, but toggle switches are so much easier than knobs or sliders for instant on and off of, say, C/V or percussion. And the ability to flick between zones would also be incredibly useful.

I am becoming more and more pleased with the 5S as a hybrid instrument. Some of the newer Rhodes patches are very good indeed, and the action's coupling to Pianoteq is nothing short of superb - and way better than the response of the internal piano sounds to the default curve. As enumerated throughout this thread, there are some fundamental features that are missing, but I always feel that Casio is trying to give us as much as possible for our money, whereas some other manufacturers seem to be doing the opposite with their much higher-priced DPs.

I spent some time trying to decide how to divide 9 drawbars among 6 sliders. In the end, I mapped the first 5 sliders to the lower 5 drawbars, and reserved the 6th slider for the 1' bar.

While obviously not as nice as 9 sliders, I assume you could program the other 3 drawbars to 3 of the 4 knobs? Or are those all taken up with other functions for you?

For that, and for the hard switches you mention, would it be practical to add a Korg Nanokey? Or is your Surface already bordering on spaghetti? ;-) Where to put it could be an issue, but I think it might be small and light enough to velcro kind of above the display.

Archived