Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

I've just received HX3 which should be a supplement to the sound generator in my Hammond SK2.

I must say that I am VERY happy with my new purchase!

Firstly the SK2 works very well as controller to the HX3. This is plug and play!

For the other the HX3 sounds very good! I am kind of satisfied with the sound of the Hammond SK2, except for the upper octave, which I think is a little thin and "digital". The HX3 has in my opinion over all more body and warmth than my SK2 gives me.

Earlier I used my SK2 with a NEO Ventilator II, but I now have disconnected it, since I'm hereafter only is going to use SK2 as an (too expensive) controller for my HX3. This because the HX3 in my opinion has a very good Leslie simulation.

Run and buy! :-)

Richy

Thank you for chiming in on the HX3 CV issue. It's nice to know I am not the only one who notices this.

Brightness wasn't the issue. The issue was the intensity of the vibrato, which had much too much "throb" in the upper octave.

I really wanted the HX3 to work but in the end of course I went back to using the Numa. I am currently using it with an older Hammomnd XK-2 to trigger the lower manual, which it does well. The Numa fits on top perfectly, but I have to angle it slightly.

The HX3 has a lot going for it. If I needed an organ that used the leslie sim on all the time it would have been great.

LX88 I used to carry a Diversiduo along with a 145 Leslie to every gig but I have been so impressed with the Leslie Sim in the HX3 that I have stopped taking the 145. My big complaint about clone organs in general is always about the tube sim and specifically the varying degrees of overdrive I can use depending upon the situation. Sometimes I like to go for a Jimmy McGriff all out throaty overdrive other times I prefer a cleaner sound. I still think there will never be anything like the real thing but the digital technology has improved dramatically in the last couple of years.

I've just received HX3 which should be a supplement to the sound generator in my Hammond SK2.

Firstly the SK2 works very well as controller to the HX3. This is plug and play!

For the other the HX3 sounds very good! I am kind of satisfied with the sound of the Hammond SK2, except for the upper octave, which I think is a little thin and "digital". The HX3 has in my opinion over all more body and warmth than my SK2 gives me.

Earlier I used my SK2 with a NEO Ventilator II, but I now have disconnected it, since I'm hereafter only is going to use SK2 as an (too expensive) controller for my HX3. This because the HX3 in my opinion has a very good Leslie simulation.

[/quote

TKN, I have the SK1 and it too became a very expensive Midi controller for my HX3! I wish I could try out a MAG organ as a controller, that looks to be the best and newest thing on my Organ Grinder wish list!

]

RichyB3,

the MAG has the HX3 INSIDE !!!

It's a complete clone, no need for the expander....

The MAG P2 would give you the original layout btw.

Not cheap but great !

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

You're killing me. . . :)

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Since I also have a NIB4D lying around: does it give you full control over the HX3 or are there some functions it doesn´t reach?

One of the list members has one of the NIB4D's and he said everything works with the HX3.

His name is Bill and here is what he sent me in an email when I asked him how he made out with the one he bought.

"Tom,

The NIB4D works flawlessly with the HX3. It also gives you the option of using any midi keyboard as a controller. I was fortunate to find this unit as it is like new."

I second that - my B4D works great. Carsten even fixed it so that the buttons that switch the drawbars between upper, lower and bass also work.

Now I just have to figure out how to program my MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus to be able to control the HX3 from my Roland VR-700!!! I don't like the VR per se but the keyboard/keybed and shallow note triggering is absolutely fantastic for the HX3.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Yikes. Based on all the positive feedback, I think I want one. I think I've pushed my Nord E4D as far as it's going to go w/B3 sounds.

Yes, I did scan all 30 pages of this thread, but still have a few remaining questions, if someone would be so kind?

I'm debating HX3 module vs. integrated board such as Uhl.

If I went with the module, I'd be using my Nord E4D as a controller. Saw something about fast trigger not being sent with certain Nords, most likely doesn't apply to the the E4D as it's an organ keybed. Anyone have direct experience?

If the Nord E4D is less than ideal as a controller, that leads me to my next question ...

The integrated Uhl approach looks nice (albeit pricey) but I'd want to make sure I still had access to the low-level option setting that the HX3 expander offers. Opinions?

Thanks in advance ...

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Chuck, I have an HX3 expander module that I've used with my E4D. It sounds much better than the E4D's organ. The E4D controls mostly map to the HX3 module. The biggest miss is the percussion controls because the E4D doesn't have the four required buttons. IMO the E4D is not a great HX3 controller because of the action. In fairness to Nord I believe they pursued a hybrid / semi-weighted action, but the bottom line is that it's not very good for organ.

Since you're considering a purchase I feel compelled to share that I have a Mojo and love it. Not just the sound but the action, controls, tweakability, astetic, and customer support as well. I can switch very comfortable from my A100 to the Mojo which is what I've been after for decades. IMO the Mojo and HX3 both sound great, but noticeably different. So, in terms of sound, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm not suggesting one over the other.

I haven't played the UHL keyboard so I can't personally comment on the action. I think I read that they use the stock Fatar keybed which I expect to be inferior to the custom Fatar keybed used in the Mojo. By inferior I mean less authentic. I'm sure someone will chime in if I've misspoke or they have experience comparing the two keybeds.

Chuck, I have the UHL x3 single manual Organ and love it. You do have access all the low-level parameter tweaking that you have with the HX3 module and the keyboard is very well-made and sturdy in my experience.

As far as the Nord, Al answered the question regarding the E4 D, I have the Nord Stage 2 and it doesn't send hi trigger over midi output, high trigger option is available on Nord internal organ only. I believe that's the case with all the Nords except the C2 D's.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

I forgot to say that I'm almost certain that the Electro 4D sends key info on high trigger via midi but only when an organ patch is selected. It's just fine as long as you know this. Chuck, if you're going to buy an HX3 expander module and no one else has answered this with 100% certainty let me know. I can hook up my gear and check if necessary.

Al, I just saw your post and edited mine to be more specific. Yes, you're correct - the Nord sends high trigger over internal organ sounds only, not through the midi output for external sounds.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

i was using a nord c1 for a few years to trigger a keyb expander

and it did trigger at the high point , to trigger at a lower point

and sent velocity you had to go into the midi edit mode ., and, being

a nord , it triggered a little too high for my liking but the lower

trigger point was too low for organ . loved the module but hated the

keyboard so i picked up a UHL this summer , it's great to play on , it's

got a very analogue quality to it

I forgot to say that I'm almost certain that the Electro 4D sends key info on high trigger via midi but only when an organ patch is selected. It's just fine as long as you know this. Chuck, if you're going to buy an HX3 expander module and no one else has answered this with 100% certainty let me know. I can hook up my gear and check if necessary.

I had the new Electro5D connected to the HX3-Expander to check some stuff out and to create a CC-set...

CC-set was no problem despite the fact with the percussion buttons.

BUT there was NO high trigger over Midi EVEN in organ mode !

So, I would be very surprised if the 4D will do...

This makes the Hammond SK-Series a better controller for the HX.

I also had the Numa2 for evaluation and it has a really really great keyboard feel ! (the sound is not my cup of tea..btw) but same as with the Electros: NO high trigger over Midi!

cheers

MG

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hello , im thinking on buy a hx3 for a brand new MP7 piano i would get too.

I want to program the unit to get some of the most used drawbars setting and to recall by a program change comand, is it possible on the HX3?

Other option is to get a ventilator for the mp7 organ sounds but im not sure of the clonewheels tech of the piano.

I also had the Numa2 for evaluation and it has a really really great keyboard feel ! (the sound is not my cup of tea..btw)

I have the same experience with the Numa2: excellent keybed but no good sound.

I´m hopeing for UHL to trim the keybed of the X3 to get that feel, perhaps at Messe in april?!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Indeed you can program presets. I need to do that with the NIB4D but I am so used to just using drawbars. Some of the material my group is covering would be a little easier if I used a few presets. Also often I need left hand to cover other parts. I am thinking about the Mojo 61 and how much it would cut down on setup time. I would need the Mojo as a controller for the Motif ES rack as well though and not sure how that would work.
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

On a modern controller using a Footswitch or button for changing presets is easy, leaves your hands free.

But even then I cover too many parts so Swell and Collapse drawbar combinations using an Expression Pedal with lag processors setting the rate and destination of each drawbar.

This unit was made for MIDI..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Hi Bill,

I also have an HX3, an NIB4 controller, a Nord Stage 2 73, a Nord Stage EX 76 and an Axiom 61, as well as a Mojo. With all of these choices available, I'm still ordering a Mojo 61. I too want a quick set up and tear down and I also want the high trigger point for organ playing. I still don't think there's anything better than the Mojo on the market at the moment and a 61 note version will give me lots of new options, paired with one or the other of the Nords. It's great to have all of these choices available ( and a very understanding wife! ).

Carrying Case for the KeyboardPartner HX3 Products.

I don't know if it was here or on another thread but someone had asked about a carrying Case for the HX3. I just came across this page on the MCM Electronics web site and they seem to have very affordable water tight cases. Even if you have other needs you may want to take a look.

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search?p=KK&srid=S1-1IADP&lbc=mcmelectronics&ts=custom&pw=22-25855%2022-25860%2022-25865%2022-25870%2022-25875%2022-25880&uid=324486991&isort=score&view=list&w=Equipment%20Case&rk=4

Have a great weekend,

Tom Tuson

Divesi Musical Products, Inc

IMO the Mojo and HX3 both sound great, but noticeably different.
Al, can you elaborate please? What things are noticeably different? And in elaborating on the differences how do these differences compare vs your A100?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have both the Mojo and the HX3 and have used them in gigs, in the studio and have compared them side by side. One day, I wrote up my thoughts on Facebook. Here is what I wrote:

(Disclosure: I'm a Crumar endorsing artist, so if you feel that taints my review, I can't argue with your decision. But, these are my honest opinions and they aren't swayed by my association with Crumar.)

I set up my new Mojo with the improved keybed action beside my 1956 B3, along with the HX3 module. I ran everything into a mixer (Including the B3 - I have a 1/4" out from the preamp so I can practice in headphones and keep my wife from leaving me), and ran from the mixer into a Trek universal pre-amp. The preamp was powering my refurbished 21H Leslie (with the 31H amp upgrade - the Holy Grail of Leslies. 122s and 147s are great, but the 21H with a 31H amp has the field coil speaker and is just amazing. Bass for days.)

I had the Mojo set to the tonewheel set that I measured off of this same B3, and if you have seen the video I did a couple years ago comparing the two, you know how close they sound. It is really incredible. The main difference is in the top octave. The Mojo is a bit more aggressive in the top octave. That doesn't mean thin like many older clones (and current clones) are. It just has a more aggressive nature, which is actually great for live performance. It cuts just a bit more.

The HX3 is a fantastic module. It has what someone on the Keyboard Magazine forum described as a "transparent" sound, and I think that is accurate. I had just loaded the latest 3.84 FW into the HX3 and that might have been a mistake. The new FW has a totally rebuilt C/V generator and I don't particularly like it. I think I liked the old version better. I am going to try and revert my FW today and see if that makes a difference.

I was a little surprised at how much the HX3 didn't sound like my B3. It really has a different character. Much brighter and, as I said above, transparent. My B3 isn't transparent. It is thick and crunchy. The Mojo gets a lot closer to the B3 than the HX3. That doesn't mean the HX3 isn't great. It is. But the Mojo is a lot closer to this specific bullseye. The HX3 is almost too "high definition." You know how sometimes a Hi Def movie looks so clear and vivid that things end up looking fake? It's kind of like that.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

IMO the Mojo and HX3 both sound great, but noticeably different.
Al, can you elaborate please? What things are noticeably different? And in elaborating on the differences how do these differences compare vs your A100?

I did a compare of the Mojo and A100 running both through my Leslie 145. The Mojo compared really well. I'm sorry to report that I haven't done the HX3 / A100 compare.

Interestingly, since I bought the Mojo in October I haven't used the HX3 except to update the firmware once. Having not really given any thought as to why until now, I think it's because with the Mojo I'm completely satisfied. Wow, I can't believe I just said that! I've been struggling with portables/clones for so many years that I became pessimistic this day would ever come. I agree with Mitch's description of the differences: especially describing the HX3 as "high definition." It's like the things we love about the Hammond sound (i.e., spit, growl, click) are accentuated a little bit beyond authentic (at least, to my ear). Since we love this stuff it sounds great but perhaps less authentic than the Mojo. Mitch's observation that the "HX3 didn't sound like my B3" doesn't surprise me.

On a related note, I had a jazz organ trio gig last night and the Mojo was killer (amplification: SS V3 and Behringer BD1200 sub). So inspiring. Someone sat in for a tune and I got to hear it from a distance -- it filled the room with such a beautiful sound. Very authentic, and the layout and action is great!

Very interesting. Unfortunately I have not been able to test the Mojo, but I am also wondering if the test result and comparison would have been different if the HX3 had the latest firmware, as I have an impression that the updates did more than just affect the Leslie simulator. Since I am relatively new to the HX3 I have not been able to compare the old FW to the newer so I don't know.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7