Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

From the sound of it , I was sent TWO defective units, the second one being sold to Jason Fry.

well, as the saying goes, third time's the charm. :laugh:

this thread didn't get to 29 pages and counting because the units all don't work and no one likes them.

:nopity:

As far as I can remember, Bb is muted till license codes are missed in firmware

Yes, that's the case.....I wouldn't call it a "defective" unit..

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

From the sound of it , I was sent TWO defective units, the second one being sold to Jason Fry.

The first one wouldn't trigger on Bb 2, but the people at Diversi claimed that this was not the case when I sent the unit back. Not true. Bb 2 wouldn't trigger on anything I played it with, as I tried several units at the music store and several at home.

Well... that's good that they are covering Jason's unit that I sold him. Now I find out that there was something going on with a number of units sent out last summer. Hmmmm....

I wanted to like the HX3, but not being able to find out if they were going to deal with the CV issue caused me to dump the unit. I guess (???) they have dealt with it.... not sure to what degree, but apparently if you have enough patience and computer skills you might wind up with something useful after all.

I ran out of patience with it certainly. I need something that is right the first time...please.

What's up Lx88? RichyB3 here (Rich Budesa from Philadelpia) I am the owner of your original HX3. I was there at Diversi the day your unit came in for servicing there was absolutely nothing wrong with the unit. I stood there with Tom Tuson while he checked every aspect of the unit and he could find nothing wrong, except possibly for the used disposable razor that you shipped in the box with your unit??? Because Tom is such a stand up guy he sent you another brand new unit. After playing your unit for about an hour I purchased it and have been using it on a nightly basics ever since. With all do respect Sir your posts and criticism about the HX3 are inaccurate. I am a professional keyboardist who performs on a nightly basis and I have had absolutely no issues with your unit! I make a living performing and depend on the my gear to work and deliver for audiences and I have had nothing but possitive feedback regarding your HX3. In my humble opinion The HX3 is the best tone wheel clone on the market and the most affordable and accurate simulation of a Hammond B3 and Leslie speaker.

I guess all ears are different Rich. I am happy with my HX3 and will be even happier when it is updated. It took some getting used to as I had been playing a Nord Stage and gotten used to that. I am using a NIB4D to control the HX3 and it really reminds me a little of my long gone B3. I will agree as well that Tom offers exceptional service and seems to be a really nice person.

"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

Since I also have a NIB4D lying around: does it give you full control over the HX3 or are there some functions it doesn´t reach?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Many of the controls seem to line up ok with the nord on the custom control set. I connected a volume pedal to the electro, and the hx3 picked it right up. I connected an ordinary pedal to the electro's fast rotary input, but I had to use the remote program to get that to work on the Hx3 (the Hx3 takes a stereo pedal for rotor speed, and Diversi offers a compatible pedal at a discount).

The remote program is pretty smooth once you get used to it, however: you twiddle something on the nord and the program opens up that control, then you click on the function you want it to do and the software makes the assignment, and when you're done you load it onto the hx3.

When you insert the incorrect License and serial # note do not trigger.

This is how the HX-3 says "Please read the manual" in an electronically polite way....

Got my unit back since I loaded boot.hex instead of expander.hex.

Even on Presidents Day week it was a 7 day turnaround.

Impressive support.

HX3 3.92 is excellent.

Diversi is excellent.

LX3 you should try the 3rd times a charm approach.

This unit is a must for any performer...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

How do you guys think this module compares with a Hammond SK series through a Vent?

FYI - A large number of the people buying the HX3 are using it with either the XK and SK series keyboards. If I remember correctly Rich Budesa has not only one of our Diversi Duos, but and SK and a Nord. I think if you read most of the posts in regards to the Vent it becomes personal choice. Rich stopped using his Vent.

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

Since I also have a NIB4D lying around: does it give you full control over the HX3 or are there some functions it doesn´t reach?

One of the list members has one of the NIB4D's and he said everything works with the HX3.

His name is Bill and here is what he sent me in an email when I asked him how he made out with the one he bought.

"Tom,

The NIB4D works flawlessly with the HX3. It also gives you the option of using any midi keyboard as a controller. I was fortunate to find this unit as it is like new."

How do you guys think this module compares with a Hammond SK series through a Vent?

FYI - A large number of the people buying the HX3 are using it with either the XK and SK series keyboards. If I remember correctly Rich Budesa has not only one of our Diversi Duos, but and SK and a Nord. I think if you read most of the posts in regards to the Vent it becomes personal choice. Rich stopped using his Vent.

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

Tom, The Hammond Sk1 works marvelously with the HX3.The draw bars tracked well with the unit as well as the percussion and the chorus/vibrato. You can also save the Leslie speeds on different presets, which worked well for me in certain situations. There were some issues with the tracking of the Reverb and tube overdrive settings which I choose to not touch or fiddle with in live performance. Overall I think the Sk1 is a great match for the HX3. Thanks for all of your help Good Brother, Rich Budesa (RichyB3)

In my humble opinion The HX3 is the best tone wheel clone on the market and the most affordable and accurate simulation of a Hammond B3 and Leslie speaker.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

and thanks for the update. ;)

Thanks Dave let's help each other make great music, Rich Budesa!

I guess all ears are different Rich. I am happy with my HX3 and will be even happier when it is updated. It took some getting used to as I had been playing a Nord Stage and gotten used to that. I am using a NIB4D to control the HX3 and it really reminds me a little of my long gone B3. I will agree as well that Tom offers exceptional service and seems to be a really nice person.

Bill, The latest update is a significant improvement in the Leslie simulation, overall balance of the sound of chorus vibrato in my opinion! Enjoy, Rich Budesa

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

Tom, The Hammond Sk1 works marvelously with the HX3.The draw bars tracked well with the unit as well as the percussion and the chorus/vibrato. You can also save the Leslie speeds on different presets, which worked well for me in certain situations. There were some issues with the tracking of the Reverb and tube overdrive settings which I choose to not touch or fiddle with in live performance. Overall I think the Sk1 is a great match for the HX3. Thanks for all of your help Good Brother, Rich Budesa (RichyB3)

Rich,

Did you have do a bunch of mapping to get the SK1 to control the HX3 or is pretty much plug in and play?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Jason -

jumping in here the SK1 is plug and play, as is the XK3. Brother MG did all the mapping for Keyboard Partners. :2thu:

Great, thanks! Will make it easier when I test one out eventually for someone else. Because I'm completely satisfied with my SK1 and wouldn't buy one of these for myself! ;)

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The SK- and XK-Hammonds are excellent controllers for the HX3-Expander!

Big plus is that they have the Fast Trigger over Midi !!!

(Nord and Numa don't !!!!)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

If you want me to, I will contact some of the people at Guitar Center who witnessed that the HX3 module I was sent did not trigger on Bb2 on two different midi controllers at their store.

I was given information later that this is EXACTLY what happens when certain set up codes aren't programmed correctly.

Also (in my opinion) the HX3 module I was sent sounds NOTHING like any Hammond chorus vibrato I ever heard. As I have said many times, the vibrato was much too intense in the upper octave.

I asked the people at Diversi if this was going to change. I got the answer that no two Hammonds are the same etc.etc.etc.

The CV on ANY tonewheel 3 series Hammonds that I ever heard do not vary as much as the CV on the HX3 I had did. It's hard for me to believe that people don't hear this, but I guess they don't. So I go back to Numas and Mojos as my reference clonewheel sound.

Would this apply to the XK-2 as well? I love the build quality , controller features and keyboard action of the XK-2, but the sound quality itself and phasing issues are getting to me lately.....

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Would this apply to the XK-2 as well? I love the build quality , controller features and keyboard action of the XK-2, but the sound quality itself and phasing issues are getting to me lately.....

I am sorry to say that no. The XK2 uses some SysEx/NRPN control codes that are not translatable at this time. About the only things that do work are the Modulation Wheel, the Presets, Split, Volume pedal, Rotary Speed control and of course the keys. The only thing in regards to the Rotary Speed control is you have to change the MIDI control in the System Menu of the XK2.

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

I am sorry to say that no. The XK2 uses some SysEx/NRPN control codes that are not translatable at this time. About the only things that do work are the Modulation Wheel, the Presets, Split, Volume pedal, Rotary Speed control and of course the keys. The only thing in regards to the Rotary Speed control is you have to change the MIDI control in the System Menu of the XK2.

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

Wow......that is....unfortunate. Glad that I asked, for the benefit of other XK-2 owners out there in similar situations.

Given this bit of news, I also have a dead XB-2 in my back room as well. The action is not as nice, but at least it is lighter. How does the sound quality & internal control mappings of the XB-2 retrofit kit compare? Does the retrofit kit also support the v3.92 update as well?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I sent my HX3 to Diversi Monday for the 3.92 update. It was back in my hands Friday. I have not had the chance to check it out as I need to get my NIB4D unpacked. Excellent service from Diversi and great communication from Tom. Thanks guys. I use a Nord Stage 88 but trigger the HX3 with a Roland XP60 onstage or XP80 at home.
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

If you want me to, I will contact some of the people at Guitar Center who witnessed that the HX3 module I was sent did not trigger on Bb2 on two different midi controllers at their store.

I was given information later that this is EXACTLY what happens when certain set up codes aren't programmed correctly.

Also (in my opinion) the HX3 module I was sent sounds NOTHING like any Hammond chorus vibrato I ever heard. As I have said many times, the vibrato was much too intense in the upper octave.

I asked the people at Diversi if this was going to change. I got the answer that no two Hammonds are the same etc.etc.etc.

The CV on ANY tonewheel 3 series Hammonds that I ever heard do not vary as much as the CV on the HX3 I had did. It's hard for me to believe that people don't hear this, but I guess they don't. So I go back to Numas and Mojos as my reference clonewheel sound.

LX88, The proper codes and updates must me installed in the HX3 for it to work properly. I actually agree with you about the chorus/ vibrato issue but the latest update has done a lot to address this problem and you can make adjustments in the unit to tame down its brightness to your liking. As far as the Mojo and Numa go I've played both and I'm not as impressed with their sound but to each his own. Keep on Organ Grinding, Rich RichyB3 Budesa!

I wish the B3 I played years back had adjustable C3.

The Vibrato was awful and C3 was nowhere near as controllable as the HX-3.

In recordings often the EQ on the Horn was notched a little and the Baffle was ALWAYS EQ'd just to get a brighter quality.

You get Chorus depth, rate, brightness, etc. on the HX-3.

What else is there, a TC Electronics Pitch Shift algo....?

Wait I already have that on my TC Fireworx via AES/EBU Digital....sounds divine..

Ankyuvarymush.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Richy

Thank you for chiming in on the HX3 CV issue. It's nice to know I am not the only one who notices this.

Brightness wasn't the issue. The issue was the intensity of the vibrato, which had much too much "throb" in the upper octave.

I really wanted the HX3 to work but in the end of course I went back to using the Numa. I am currently using it with an older Hammomnd XK-2 to trigger the lower manual, which it does well. The Numa fits on top perfectly, but I have to angle it slightly.

The HX3 has a lot going for it. If I needed an organ that used the leslie sim on all the time it would have been great.