Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Hi Luis,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes we are interested in customer feedback, of course. It is only the lack of time that sometimes looks like a lack of communication ability.

For the new HX3 Drawbar Expander Carsten has designed a master volume circuit, that affects all possible output channels at the same time. This had to be done in the firmware. I expect that Carsten will adapt that firmware for the HX3 Expander as well, so that we will soon have MIDI CC #7 as the master volume controller.

Christian

KeyboardPartner

I sent feedback regarding a ( semi notorious) issue I had with the chorus vibrato on the HX3 I purchased last summer.

I discussed it on this forum plus I sent messages to Keyboard Partner's website and attempted to discuss it with the distributor I bought it from.

When I got no response I elected to sell the unit. A few weeks later there was some word that the CV was updated. But I had no way of knowing if and when this would ever be addressed.

Perhaps my feedback was considered, but I had no way of knowing that. So the unit is gone.

I am slightly curious if the recent improvements sorted this issue out. When all the updates and improvements are settled, then I might check into the HX3 again.

One issue that I continue to have with my HX3 Expander is that there is no "master"/overall volume.

I second this request. I want to run my HX3 straight into a Leslie preamp, and gain staging is difficult the way things are set up now. I would like to bypass the 122 amp emulation but have a way to control the HX3's output volume other than expression pedal.

Hallo Christian,

schön, dass Du nun hier auch direkt dabei bist !

;-)

Integrating a master volume would be great !

One of the few missing things.

A small request for the Leslie Sim:

An option to "stop in front" would be great...

Cheers

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hi,

I'm getting a "noisy" sound from my HX3....it's especially noticeable when I engage the fast speed of the Leslie effect. I'm wondering if I have a defective unit, or it it's an AC problem, or ....I don't know what else it can be...

I've tried plugging it in with both balanced and unbalanced TRS cables both into my A&H Mixwizard4 as well as a FocusRite Pro14 .... the output from both are going into a SSv3.

Any ideas, or suggestions?

Thank you,

John

P.S. I don't notice this coming from my DMC-122/Gemini or any other keyboard plugged into my mixer.....

P.S. I don't notice this coming from my DMC-122/Gemini or any other keyboard plugged into my mixer.....

Sorry you are having this issue - I have not experienced it.

My question is - not sure if this should be a separate topic, but - any chance you can do a compare between the HX3 and Gemini? If so perhaps recording one and the other to compare? I'm just REALLY curious.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Sorry you are having this issue - I have not experienced it.

My question is - not sure if this should be a separate topic, but - any chance you can do a compare between the HX3 and Gemini? If so perhaps recording one and the other to compare? I'm just REALLY curious.

I'm sending my HX3 back to Diversi today so they can see why I am getting this hissing sound. So until I get back a working unit I won't be able to do a demo comparing the two...Maybe Dave O. could do one since he has both the HX3 as well as the DMC-122/Gemini combo .

-John

P.S. just wanted to say that although I purchased my HX3 directly from KeyboardPartners in Germany, Diversi stepped up and is helping me out with this. If anyone else has a problem with their HX3, Diversi is here to help. I definitely would recommend doing business with Diversi as they have great customer service and care about their customers (and technically, I'm not even their customer!). Kudos to Diversi!

One issue that I continue to have with my HX3 Expander is that there is no "master"/overall volume.

I second this request. I want to run my HX3 straight into a Leslie preamp, and gain staging is difficult the way things are set up now. I would like to bypass the 122 amp emulation but have a way to control the HX3's output volume other than expression pedal.

Dave. There will be a new software release "soon" that will allow you to have a master volume / gain control and it can be used with MIDI CC#7. Plus there will be a more flexibility with Split and some refined Rotary Simulation Parameters. If you are registered with Diversi we email HX3 owners when updates are posted to our website for download.

We hope this is of help.

Hello to all, this is my first posting here, so I'd like to introduce myself: My name is Christian and I am working with Carsten at KeyboardPartner in Burgdorf, Germany. I will be here from time to time and try to answer questions related to KeyboardPartner's products.

@hardware: I'm glad you like the HX3 sound like we do. Sustain and Sostenuto is tied to the MIDI channel. So if it is sent on MIDI 2 it will affect the lower manual only.

Regards,

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Hi Christian,

I second JohnDoe - it is nice to know that KBP is involved and interested in customer feedback. Welcome!!!

The HX3 forum (and people like MG that are always extremely helpful) is a great tool but it is very difficult to navigate and consume due to the language barrier.

One issue that I continue to have with my HX3 Expander is that there is no "master"/overall volume. I am driving a GSi BURN rotary speaker emulation pedal and the HX3 clips the input of the BURN. As an alternative I do switch the output option to (internal) rotary so I can set the 122 amp level but that colors the sound. My request has been that an "overall" volume parameter be added right in the menu. Is that not possible??? This is very important to me as I need to continue to use the BURN instead of the internal rotary.

Thank you, Luis.

There is a software update coming soon that will add this ability plus a couple of other improvements and changes. See my reply to Dave, for more information. Also, if you want info about updates simply go to the Divers WebSite and REGISTER your HX3 with us and we will put you on the HX3 owners email list.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Any idea on how soon this "soon" is likely to be?

the e-mail I got said it was going to be included in the "next update release". Although not definitive these updates are usually sooner than later. I would consider that good news.

:nopity:

John, I have a hissing sound in my HX3 too, and it seemed to be most noticeable in the Leslie sim when the upper Drawbars were pulled out. As the rotor would come towards you this odd hiss would appear. I purchased my HX3 from Ken Hall up here in Kingston Ontario, and he reported the issue and If I recall correctly he was told that they were aware of it and it would be resolved in an update. I haven't updated my HX3, so I don't know if it's fixed, but I was able to tweak the Hx3 and get rid of it.. The Factory settings on my HX3 were horribly bright.. There was no bottom end at all.. But after tweaking it (choosing a different organ, 1961 i think, the horn rotor balance and a few other things) I got the HX3 sounding much better and the hissing wasn't noticeable any more. I used it a couple times this summer and it's been sitting on the shelf for a while now, but I've ordered this drawbar controller, and once I have that I'm going to start playing with it again. I just thought I'd mention that I had a hiss too.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Christian, good to know! This was a very unnatural noise, not the regular hum or leakage sounds that you get from a real hammond/Leslie. Glad to hear it's gone, but as I said, I was able yo tweak it out. I'm going to get back to playing with my HX3 as soon as I get my drawbar module from you guys. Tom said he thought it would go out tomorrow.. I'm not in a hurry, but I'm certainly anxious to try it.. I normally gig with a Mojo and a Kronos, but I have used the HX3 with my Kronos, as a single keyboard rig. I configured the Kronos such that I can use the HX3 module to replace the CX3 engine (which is good but not Mojo/HX3 good), and I also plan to use it with my Roland VR-09 if I have an opportunity. The fact that the VR-09 used sysex for the Drawbars created a problem for using the VR-09 together with the HX3, but the drawbar controller should fix that..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Christian, good to know! This was a very unnatural noise, not the regular hum or leakage sounds that you get from a real hammond/Leslie. Glad to hear it's gone, but as I said, I was able yo tweak it out. I'm going to get back to playing with my HX3 as soon as I get my drawbar module from you guys. Tom said he thought it would go out tomorrow.. I'm not in a hurry, but I'm certainly anxious to try it.. I normally gig with a Mojo and a Kronos, but I have used the HX3 with my Kronos, as a single keyboard rig. I configured the Kronos such that I can use the HX3 module to replace the CX3 engine (which is good but not Mojo/HX3 good), and I also plan to use it with my Roland VR-09 if I have an opportunity. The fact that the VR-09 used sysex for the Drawbars created a problem for using the VR-09 together with the HX3, but the drawbar controller should fix that..

Same here...a very unnatural sounding hiss/noise/phasing sound....very different from that which comes from a Leslie (I have 3 different models in my home studio)....hopefully Tom will be able to determine if it is a setting/configuration issue or if it is a hardware issue. I'll know more next week after he gets to hook it up and test it. Will report back.

-John

Which firmware version is it that produced the noise? Do you also hear it on Martin Meixner's first demo recording? It is here:

This sound demo has been recorded directly from the HX3's output, no Leslie, no filtering. Martin is pulling the drawbars and has the rotary sim at both speeds in the intro.

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Christian,

I don't hear it in this video, but to hear it you really have to hold a high note, or two, with the upper Drawbars pulled out and listen to the Leslie horn spinning.. Switching from chorale to tremolo it becomes very obvious, when you're listening in isolation (and no other tones playing or drum machines to distract from it). Otherwise, it will just get buried, which is good on one hand because you don't notice it, but you don't want these odd artifacts in there. I don't know what firmware I'm on.. I'll have to check.. I'm not particularly worried about this problem, I was able to tweak it out, and I'm pretty sure that my firmware is downlevel.

Craig MacDonald

Christian, I think that Carsten is already aware if it, and it might already be fixed.. This is based on what I recall Ken Hall telling me when I reported it to him. I purchased my HX3 from Ken, he was selling them here in Canada. This may be old news!

Craig MacDonald

Based on my experience the "annoying high frequency noise"

in the Leslie Sim was eliminated since

Firmware 3.83c

So, always check your actual firmware and

then have a look in the readme file in github...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Not final but worth a look!

Beta 3.90 !!!

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=489&sid=a0f8877b71d4c1b44f77e2211b79d80a

Leslie front stop and Master Volume!

Still says 3.851 on the firmware verification slot.

But noticed the 122 Amp dialog appears after encoder knob is pressed twice, and I crank it up.

Seems to have added a little more gain and works separately from the 122 Amp gain.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Based on my experience the "annoying high frequency noise"

in the Leslie Sim was eliminated since

Firmware 3.83c

So, always check your actual firmware and

then have a look in the readme file in github...

Based on the readme notes of this newest version, it's not completely resolved yet, but Carsten advises what it is and how to minimize it. I had already managed to get rid of it, but I did this accidentally as I was just tweaking the overall sound more to my liking (from the factory the HX3 came very bright!!). I thought it was funny that in the comments he said "those of you with young ears" might hear this.. My ears are 60 years old.. ;-)

Craig MacDonald

I am still looking for someone near me who can update my HX3. I am in Martinsville, VA which is very close to NC. I use a Mac and don't have access to a PC. I don't really want to do Parallels or virtual PC. Plus I am wary of trying to do this myself as I am a little technology challenged when I risk turning the HX3 into a brick.
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ