Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

I am still looking for someone near me who can update my HX3. I am in Martinsville, VA which is very close to NC. I use a Mac and don't have access to a PC. I don't really want to do Parallels or virtual PC. Plus I am wary of trying to do this myself as I am a little technology challenged when I risk turning the HX3 into a brick.

Bill: If you want to ship it to us we'll update it for you.. You just got to pay for the return shipping. If you do PM me.

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

Decided to flip my output plate to better suit my rack design I currently use.

This allows the rear jacks to be on the opposite side of the Modules rear end, just a personal preference.

But what a well built and designed little beast this is.

Surprised I didn't see an Analog Devices SHARC Processor.

This Spartan is a new one for me, very tiny yet powerful.

http://s11.postimg.org/xep22yv77/IMG_0817.jpg

photo hosting

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

SHARCS are DSPs

Xilinx are FPGAs

!!!!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Not final but worth a look!

Beta 3.90 !!!

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=489&sid=a0f8877b71d4c1b44f77e2211b79d80a

Leslie front stop and Master Volume!

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas.

Has anyone updated to 3.9?

I typically wait a while but I was so looking to leverage the new overall output level function that I just updated. The update using the Flash utility went as normal. However, no sound comes out and the screen keeps flickering between different menus and the encoder or the up/down buttons do not do anything. As I touch keys on the keyboard controller he drawbar levels change values without moving the drawbars on my NI B4D.

I have rebooted the HX3 but no help; I then re-ran the flash utility to install 3.9 again; again no help. Finally I reverted to an older version of the firmware and FPGA using the HX3 Remote utility. Going back to 3.851 no longer results in the screen flickering between menus but there is still no sound and when I press keys on the keyboard it the drawbar values still change values as I press various keys.

The HX3 was working perfectly fine before the update but it looks like 3.9 messed it up.

Anyone else experience this issue. Christian, do you have any insight?

Thank you, Luis.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Luis -

I have not as of yet so I am of no help to you. Since no one else had responded I thought I would post just so you know you are not being ignored. I still haven't done the prior update either. I control the volume using the 122 Amp setting since I'm using the built in sim. If going directly into a leslie this is of little use.

:nopity:

Bill Bosco: I traded emails with Wolfgang just this week. He said he will be sending out the new X3 update in about two weeks.

Luis: wish I could help you on this one. I'm still running 3.84 on my expander. For some reason I'm having trouble connecting it to the computer. It is not recognizing my USB cable anymore. If I can't resolve that I might have to send my Expander to Diversi. 3.84 sounds great, But I would love to get the new features of 3.9 when it's ready for prime time.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

okay , thanks .

i've done a few updates on the x3 so far . it was a little tricky

at first , since i'm not up on computer tech all that much , but i've

got it down . the procedure that Wolfgang has set up is fairly strait

forward .the update process for the hx3 though , appears to be kind

of complex . why doesn't keyboard partner set up a system similar to

Wolfgang's ? doing updates on the x3 takes a few minutes , no problem

Hi Luis,

maybe this:

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=492&sid=8178a09133f30611304fee2e7fac2c83

Try to contact keyboardpartner (info@keyboardpartner.de)

It seems Carsten is activ and working (we have still

holidays here in Germany!)

Bill,

the HX Flash tool is as easy as the X3 flash tool!

You have to be careful with the remote tool !!

I met Wolfgang a few days ago. There will be

a X3 update when all bugs are resolved (3.9 is still

a beta).

For me 3.841 is the best sounding setup

yet. The new Lesliesim needs some tweaking

but thats my opinion....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Thank you, all.

I was on 3.84/13102015 and extremely happy. The only reason why I jumped to 3.9 was to get the setting to control the overall output level because of clipping the input of my GSi BURN.

I did send Carsten an email this morning and hopefully will hear back soon.

M G, interesting link - I purchased my HX3 in April. Could be related but it was perfectly fine before the 3.9 update. I went ahead and did the factory reset/restore.

The HX3 has been an awesome tool.

Beta 3.90 !!!

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=489&sid=a0f8877b71d4c1b44f77e2211b79d80a

I typically wait a while but I was so looking to leverage the new overall output level function that I just updated. The update using the Flash utility went as normal. However, no sound comes out and the screen keeps flickering between different menus and the encoder or the up/down buttons do not do anything. As I touch keys on the keyboard controller he drawbar levels change values without moving the drawbars on my NI B4D.

I have rebooted the HX3 but no help; I then re-ran the flash utility to install 3.9 again; again no help. Finally I reverted to an older version of the firmware and FPGA using the HX3 Remote utility. Going back to 3.851 no longer results in the screen flickering between menus but there is still no sound and when I press keys on the keyboard it the drawbar values still change values as I press various keys.

The HX3 was working perfectly fine before the update but it looks like 3.9 messed it up.

Thank you, Luis.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Being a Holiday weekend most of us are doing Family stuff. So please understand that we are not ignoring you.

I did a Drawbar Expander here and had the same issue. Here is what I did to clear it up.

1. Make sure you do not have any other PAST install of the REMOTE or Flash software accessible. Rename the Directory you have it in or move it to a Tumbdrive. Windows has a nasty habit of using the old file locations.

2. Go to GITHUB and download the latest software package. https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

3. Download the correct package for your module.

4. Unpack the zip file and go to the directory (folder) where the Flash and Remote software is located.

5.Do not use the FLASH program but use the REMOTE program.

4. Connect your HX3 to your computer

5. Connect your HX3 to your computer.

6. Power UP your HX3.

7. Run the REMOTE software.

8. CLICK on the "Connect" button on the top left side of the program.

9. CLICK on the TAB "Advanced"

10. Now click on UPDATE FW.

11. Select the HX3mk3_boot_expander.hex (HX3mk2_boot_expander.hex if the older board.)

12. The update will start.

13. After it's done CLICK on FINALIZE. (REALLY IMPORTANT)

14. CLICK Disconnect in the Upper Left corner of the program.

15. Unplug your HX3 from the computer and power it off.

16. Now connect it to your MIID rig.

Now try your unit again if you still have no sound then unplug everything and start over.

1. HOWEVER instead of UPDATE FW... UPDATE THE FPG. There is only ONE file that shows up. CLICK on it.

2. The update will start. It will take some time.

3. Once it's done then CLICK on FINALIZE.

4. Now CLICK on UPDATE FW.

5. Same steps as in the first part for the Boot hex file.

6. Wait for update to finish.

7. CLICK FINALIZE.

8. CLICK on Disconnect in the top left side of the program.

Now see if you get sound.

PLEASE.. Make sure your write down you Ser. Numbers and the Lic. Numbers for the Organ and Rotary.

See if this works. If not send me and email at info@diversi.us and I will try and help you.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

As a reminder. A couple of months ago we invited any owners in the USA and Canada that have purchased an HX3, prior to Diversi becoming the distributor, to please send us and email or register your unit with us. We are here to help. Please use the following link to register your HX3 with us. Also, in the comments area would you be so kind as to included your ORGAN and ROTARY Lic. Numbers. This way we can put them on file. If you ever should need them we have them here for you in our data base.

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Again, any one that feels we can help them PLEASE drop us a note.

Cheers,

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

Beta 3.90 !!!

Thank you, Luis.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Being a Holiday weekend most of us are doing Family stuff. So please understand that we are not ignoring you.

I did a Drawbar Expander here and had the same issue. Here is what I did to clear it up.

1. Make sure you do not have any other PAST install of the REMOTE or Flash software accessible. Rename the Directory you have it in or move it to a Tumbdrive. Windows has a nasty habit of using the old file locations............

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your post. I just did the Firmware update using the HX3 remote and it fixed the issue of the drawbar values changing when pressing the keyboard keys and/or moving the expression pedal. The unit has stabilized dramatically but I'm still getting intermittent flickering between different menus (but nothing crazy like it was doing before after the initial 3.9 update).

The "Master Volume" is working beautifully and this is what I really needed!!!!!

For all others - you may not want to use the flash tool to update your HX3 for now! Updating with the HX3 remote is easy enough.

Thank you again.

Beta 3.90 !!!

Thank you, Luis.

1. Make sure you do not have any other PAST install of the REMOTE or Flash software accessible. Rename the Directory you have it in or move it to a Tumbdrive. Windows has a nasty habit of using the old file locations............

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your post. I just did the Firmware update using the HX3 remote and it fixed the issue of the drawbar values changing when pressing the keyboard keys and/or moving the expression pedal. The unit has stabilized dramatically but I'm still getting intermittent flickering between different menus (but nothing crazy like it was doing before after the initial 3.9 update).

The "Master Volume" is working beautifully and this is what I really needed!!!!!

For all others - you may not want to use the flash tool to update your HX3 for now! Updating with the HX3 remote is easy enough.

Thank you again.

Your welcome. I will check into the flickering.

I do think if a Control Knob on your connected controller is in between positions and not quite dead on the HX3 will go back and forth between display information. Such as a Drawbar Preset and Amp volume, the amp volume being assigned to rotary or slider on the Controlling device. Just touching the control will fix this. Then I have also seen Connected MIDI devices sending data and the HX3 is reading it an it will flicker. Since I won't be back in until Monday I really can verify anything until then.

Tom Tuson

Here is a message from Carsten regarding the flickering display issue:

'Hello Luis,

the "wildly changing drawbar display" issue will arise if you accidently updated the HX3 MIDI Expander Plexi with standard organ or HX3 DrawbarExpander firmware. Other firmwares than HX3 MIDI Expander Plexi will scan the analog inputs, and as they're floating, strange things will happen. I renamed the files for clarifying. Hope this helps.

Greetings, Carsten'

Regards

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Here is a message from Carsten regarding the flickering display issue:

'Hello Luis,

the "wildly changing drawbar display" issue will arise if you accidently updated the HX3 MIDI Expander Plexi with standard organ or HX3 DrawbarExpander firmware. Other firmwares than HX3 MIDI Expander Plexi will scan the analog inputs, and as they're floating, strange things will happen. I renamed the files for clarifying. Hope this helps.

Greetings, Carsten'

Regards

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Hi Christian, thank you for the reply. This is why updating the firmware via the HX3 Remote as Tom from Diversi suggested worked out OK. It does seem that the Flash tool has an issue in that it picked the incorrect f/w file?

Looks like Carsten already updated the 3.9 release in the last hour so perhaps the Flash tool was fixed as well.

As always, thank you and Carsten for the quick responses and help and the same goes to Tom from Diversi.

Luis.

Hi Luis,

I just checked out the very new 3.9....

The Leslie and Perc Display Entries ARE BACK !!!!

Dave: On the USB issue.

I also noticed this last summer but dug into my bag of tricks and used a high quality gold cable that came with my McMillan QuNexus.

Seems HX-3 is very picky.

USB SUCKS.

But do data dumps on an FS1r and its easy to see why USB was needed.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Hi Luis,

And the Master Volume is absolutely AMAZING! No more clipping of my GSi Burn's input.

Thank you Carsten!!!

i received the hx3 drawbar expander a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to find the remote app that seems to help with editing the parameters, and saving configurations. I downloaded the latest flash...zip, but there's no remote .exe in the directory, and I tried to find 'remote' in the github archive and it came up empty. Does anyone know if this has been eliminated, or merged with the 'flash updates app?

You will find the HX3 remote program at this page https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Download HX3_firmw_390.zip and the remote app is there named hx3_remote

Hopefully this will help.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Hi Luis,

And the Master Volume is absolutely AMAZING! No more clipping of my GSi Burn's input.

Thank you Carsten!!!

OB1, Do you find that the GSI Burn improves the sound of the HX3 module noticably? I have the Burn and the original Vent and I haven't bothered even trying either with the HX3 because the HX3 sim sounds pretty good to me.. To be honest, my HX3 module has been put away for a couple months, and I haven't updated it yet or really tried tweaking it much beyond what I did the first week I had it. I have the new drawbar controller on order (it's in transit now) and I'm expecting to get back playing with the HX3 once the controller arrives. If you have a spare minute to respond let me know your thoughts on Burn vs the HX3 sim.. Thanks,

Craig

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

we've been running my uhl x3-2 through a vent for the last

couple of months , i think it still edges out the hx3 sim ,

it's a tone thing mostly , but vent is still a better sim

IMO . our soundman ,by the way ,also prefers the vent .i

did some swapping with the two sims at a rehearsal one night

and he picked up on it right away . he said the organ kept

changing , losing some body to it's sound ( that was the hx3 )

Thanks Bill, I used the HX3 this summer with a horn band at the Beaches Jazz festival here in Toronto, and I got a lot of complements on the sound (I used the HX3 with my Kronos, and set up the HX3 to replace the Kronos CX3 engine), the guys I was playing with really loved it. However, the guitar player from my regular classic rock band dropped by to hear us and he said that based on what he was hearing the Leslie effect wasn't as pronounced in the mix as I usually was (when I use my Mojo and play with him). Now there could have been a number of reasons for that (it obviously depends a lot on the FOH mix) but my guitar player knows hammonds, he's used real Leslies, and he and I bought our original ventilators together (we were early adopters) so I trust his ears. It was very interesting that he picked up on the difference in the Leslie sim.. Honestly, my HX3 is very bright, and I think the low rotor isn't coming through as much and that was what he was/wasn't hearing.. I have to get the new update loaded in and make sure that I've got the outputs set correctly, then start playing with my Leslie sims (vent/burn/HX3) and really see how they compare. Beyond the simple animation (sense of motion) there might be a sweet spot where the overdrives match up really nicely making one combination better than the rest.. However, it would have to be a noticeable difference for me to drag a Burn or a Vent to a gig these days.. I no longer have to do that with my Mojo, and I am really trying to streamline things.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Bruce, I think what Microsoft are trying to tell you is that the file is not supported or "secure" according to their standard. I think I got a similar message, but it is easy to get around it by clocking the text in the box saying tell me more or something like that. When you click that text line you are told about the safety risks, and then you are given the option to go on even if it may harm your computer. Screw Microsoft and their paranoia and go on and I am sure you will be fine. :)

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7