Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Just found the new 3.922:

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Some fixes, use with care...

;-))

Changelog

04/18/2016 Firmware #3.922, FPGA 11042016, ScanCores #23

Fixed bug in "Button Vibrato" version (Drawbar Expander), vibrato LEDs did not change on presets

Fixed "MIDI Volume" bug in Drawbar Expander, master volume did not change on MIDI CC (although displayed)

Fixed "weaker lower manual volume" bug

Separate TONE and AMP potentiometer enables

"Latching Presets" firmware will now mute on CANCEL key, i.e. jump to preset 11

Deeper bass pedal sound if pedal sustain off

Slightly changed AO28 equalizing for more "bottom" and lower mids

Slightly more generator output for full distortion on simulated rotary amp

Wider swell pedal range

Fixed "Note 25" bug on pedal scan routines

MIDI Sustain by CC #64 introduced on all scan cores

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Updated to 3.92 the other day.

When I downloaded the 3.922 file, I noticed that it's way smaller only 32k compared to the 3.92 which is 1.5mb?!?

Can't even open it.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here.

Also, tried to create a custom midi cc map to use with my NE3 with the remote editor. Mapped the parameters, sent it to the HX3, and nothing.

The only parameter it's receiving from the Nord is CC 7, which it did

before as well.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Downloaded the file (3.922 - Flash for Expandermk3-4) again with another PC. It shows 1,59 MB

I guess something went wrong with your download....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I had my HX3 a week ago. 3.92 was already in out of the box. Supercool.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Ok, succeeded downloading 3.922.

Tried to update to 3.922 (using flash) and something went wrong. (3.92 went fine)

Now I have invalid licences for both organ and Leslie and no sound at all.

What to do? Tried to do a restore, but same thing.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Not sure, but the license numbers are on your invoice....

If not contact:

info@keyboardpartner.de

Carsten or Christian will help,you out!

Yesterday I updated my HX3 from 3.92 to 3.922 using the remote software. I thought it's just a minor update because of the slightly different version number. But this update is awesome. Much better bass response now. Kudos to the developper! HX3 is getting better and better. I am a fanboy.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I stop because I see this now since I screwed things up and had Diversi fix it and return it to me within a week.

Sterling Service indeed.

But this stops me in my tracks everytime.

I have everything I need, can scuplt the sound in real time while performing, unlike Native where zippers and artifacts ruin parameter modulations. FPGA and DSP don't suffer from bloated Apple or Microsoft one size fits all gunk.

I will wait for an upgrade where lower manual gets it's own output, and upper manual can be better isolated.

Until then I love my 70s multiple B3 Emulations.

http://s31.postimg.org/hdsc86igr/hx3_flash.jpg

free adult image hosting

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I stop because I see this now since I screwed things up and had Diversi fix it and return it to me within a week.

Sterling Service indeed.

I hear you Haywood. ;)

I had no problem updating to 3.92, waiting a minute to go to 3.922 however. Just because.

:nopity:

Tried to update to 3.922 (using flash) and something went wrong. (3.92 went fine)

I just had the same issue. Did you ever get a reponse?

I just had the same issue. Did you ever get a reponse?

Quick update

I was able to use the remote software to update the FPGA and FW software to the latest versions. Also resent the licenses using the advanced tab on the remote software.

Be careful of the flash updater.......

Here is a message from Carsten posted in the HX3 Forum concerning update issues:

'Windows allows start of applications directly in explorer ZIP windows. This procedure will run into problems as HX3 Flash and HX3 Remote expect additional files to be present. IMPORTANT: Be sure to extract all files to a local hard disk folder before running HX3 applications. Update will fail if started directly from ZIP window.

If the update has failed, you should re-install firmware and licences with HX3 Remote for a complete parameter reset. Download

ZIP file

and extract contents to a lokal harddisk folder. Start HX3 Remote and connect to USB device. HX3 Remote will show your board info. Uncheck all "Auto Restore" boxes. Install HX3 firmware by clicking "Update FW" and open file appropriate to your device. Old boards prior to 2015 will need "mk2" versions.

Install new FPGA configuration by clicking "Update FPGA" and open file "fpga_11042016.bit".

Click on tab "Advanced" and enter organ/rotary licence numbers in "Create/send new HX3 board Licences" fields if "Board Info" does not show valid licences. Then click "Send Licences" and finally "Finalize".

A new HX3 Flash version is online from April 23rd, 2016. Please only use this version. It will create two text files "hx3_board_info.txt" containing your current licence info and a log file named "hx3_update_log.txt". In case of emergency, please attach these files to email requests. We can create new licenes for you at no cost when we know your serial number.'

Regards

Christian

KeyboardPartner

While I love the sound of the HX3 and its drawbar controller, I'm just not enjoying the functionality with my Nords as controllers - so I'm going back to my old Electro rig with Ocean Beach drawbars.

Module and controller are now up for sale in classifieds.

Here is a message from Carsten posted in the HX3 Forum concerning update issues:

'Windows allows start of applications directly in explorer ZIP windows. This procedure will run into problems as HX3 Flash and HX3 Remote expect additional files to be present. IMPORTANT: Be sure to extract all files to a local hard disk folder before running HX3 applications. Update will fail if started directly from ZIP window.

If the update has failed, you should re-install firmware and licences with HX3 Remote for a complete parameter reset. Download

ZIP file

and extract contents to a lokal harddisk folder. Start HX3 Remote and connect to USB device. HX3 Remote will show your board info. Uncheck all "Auto Restore" boxes. Install HX3 firmware by clicking "Update FW" and open file appropriate to your device. Old boards prior to 2015 will need "mk2" versions.

Install new FPGA configuration by clicking "Update FPGA" and open file "fpga_11042016.bit".

Click on tab "Advanced" and enter organ/rotary licence numbers in "Create/send new HX3 board Licences" fields if "Board Info" does not show valid licences. Then click "Send Licences" and finally "Finalize".

A new HX3 Flash version is online from April 23rd, 2016. Please only use this version. It will create two text files "hx3_board_info.txt" containing your current licence info and a log file named "hx3_update_log.txt". In case of emergency, please attach these files to email requests. We can create new licenes for you at no cost when we know your serial number.'

Regards

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Although I am sure the problem described here is an issue. This was not the problem I had. The issue I experienced with the flash was after the first part of the update completed, the USB connection timed out and left the update partially done and the licenses invalid.

With the latest package for the remote ( available now diversi.us ) I was able to complete the update and resend the licenses using the remote software. Not going to attempt the flash again.

It is important to get the latest version of the ALL package.

ZIP file

Regards

Christian

KeyboardPartner

Although I am sure the problem described here is an issue. This was not the problem I had. The issue I experienced with the flash was after the first part of the update completed, the USB connection timed out and left the update partially done and the licenses invalid.

With the latest package for the remote ( available now diversi.us ) I was able to complete the update and resend the licenses using the remote software. Not going to attempt the flash again.

It is important to get the latest version of the ALL package.

You don't need to get the ALL package. Just what you need for your unit. HX3 Mrk2 (older unit), HX3 Mrk3/4 (current) or the DB-e (Drawbar Expander). However, there are some people that have both the Module and the Drawbar Expander so rather then download two files they grab the ALL zipped package.

One other note. There is now 3.924. There was a bug in the Expander version that prevented the Percussion, A/B and Split buttons from sending the control information to the turn on or off these functions as well as a couple of minor things. Carsten updated everything.

As to unpacking the Zipped package. I also suggest that you either Move, Rename or Delete the Subdirectory of your older version before unzipping and using the newest version. I still find that Windows sometimes picks up the old folders of the previous release. This isn't unique to the HX3 software as I have it happen with other Windows programs.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Note to ALL owners of KeyboardPartner products in the US and Canada.

Please! No mater if you purchased your unit direct from Germany or anywhere else in the US or Canada please go to the Diversi website and register your unit(s) with us or use the following link. https://form.jotform.com/51235176260146

If you have or are buying a used unit from someone please register with us as we have a small email list that we send out informing owners about current updates and anything that needs to be passed on to you the owners.

In addition, if you purchased the unit used we want to cover you by moving the Software Licenses over, to you, from the old owner. This way if you ever need to obtain the Licenses, do to some problem, we have them on file here and can get them to you.

Also, we never share your information with anyone other them KeyboardPartners, if needed. This email list is for you the HX3 owners as a service. OH! There is one other reason. You get advanced notice of anything special or events.

One more item. For HX3 owners here in the US and Canada. I can provided a Live Remote Desktop session with you via LogMe.In. It's FREE! However, you have to contact me so we can setup a day and time that is convenient for both of us.

I thank everyone for their time.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Diversi

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone using a NIB4D to control HX3? I am finding that everything is working great except C/V. All I can get is vibrato which I would never use. When I switch the controller to chorus the HX3 still has vibrato. Kinda frustrating.
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

Yes, I had the same problem trying to upgrade the sound of my Nord Electro 73 with a HX3-DE (the module that includes 2 sets of drawbars + all the controls).

The problem for me was the split function: the HX-3 keyboard split function works fine if you have 61 keys in a C to C arrangement (like a Nord or Novation 61), but it doesn't really handle keys outside the 61 key range if you're trying to use the split function on a larger keyboard (like my Nord 73) -- it doesn't ignore the extra keys, but it transposes them up or down an extra octave so that your keyboard effectively looks like a 61 key controller to the HX-3.

They originally thought they could fix this, but I believe that the HX-3 was designed for the standard 61 note manuals, and they just can't figure out how to elegantly handle more than that.

------------

Here's an extended note if anyone is interested:

There's a valid argument about the way the HX-3 handles notes above the 61 key range. The original Hammonds had 61 keys, so synthesizing higher notes can sound unauthentic. So 'folding down' the extra notes by one octave on the top of the range is not so bad, and Galileo for example does this also.

However, there's really no excuse for the way they handle the lower notes when you have a +1 octave shift on the lower split. If you press a note below the 61 note range, they do a 2 octave shift even though you only asked for 1 octave. Galileo gets this one right, as does pretty much everyone else.

The only way to use these things is to have either 2 keyboards, or a single 61 note C to C controller (like a novation 61), or to have a controller that outputs a split on separate upper and lower channels. Unfortunately, the Nord Electro 2 does not output the upper and lower split on separate channels (I don't know about the later ones), so that's why you shouldn't buy an hx3 to fix up the sound of a Nord 73.

This will be addressed with the next update....

From the BETA "read me":

05/05/2016 Firmware #3.925, HX3 Flash #3.9e

New MIDI ScanCore #30 with 88 key support, full transpose 24 notes, upper manual split +1 and +2 octaves on lower part

HX3 Remote Dropdown menu bug on Win XP fixed

XB2 Kit Transpose with PERCUSSION buttons (SECOND = DOWN, THIRD = UP) when Edit Mode ON