Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

A.C. obviously hasn't got the idea behind the HX3.

Of course Keyboardpartner could have made a fully functional version just like other major brands do and put it out on the market as it is and call it a final version, even if they know it isn't perfect. That's what some major brand manufacturers do. Maybe the major brand offers a mid-life update, maybe not...

After a year or two they release a new version, 30% higher priced and with a few more bells and whistles and a new trendy color. This is what Yamaha has been doing to their customers for years with the Motif series. If you want the newer version, well, then you buy the newest gear. Keyboardpartner on the other hand gives you the better instrument free of charge whenever they have something better to come up with. You don't have to buy a new box, the one you have will work for a long time. If you are too lazy to take advantage of that and then also use it against them saying the product they first sold was a beta or unfinished product, then I think you are totally out of line.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Okay, I took the plunge and updated to 4.11 without any assistance. It was really easy once I installed the driver so my computer would recognize the HX3 module. If anyone is concerned about performing the update yourself, send me a PM and I can take you through it.

I'm not a big C/V user so the update didn't really jump out at me though it does sound good. What I really noticed from version 3.92 is the better low end response. I directly compared my Hammond SK to the HX3 and there is no dropoff in bass between the two now. The HX3 still cuts better so it definitely didn't lose any treble response! I also noticed increased overall output, you can now really get a nice grinding distortion with the swell floored. Of course the setting can be changed so it stays clean even with the swell all the way open.

Noticed the new default busbar settings for the 16' and 5 1/3' drawbars are lower than the other drawbars. Is this supposed to reduce the "warble" effect that some guys complain about in higher registers?

What a great piece of gear, now I don't feel the need to purchase a new Hammond keyboard every few years.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I believe all the hard and/or soft needs and wants are available at this point in time.

As far as keys are concerned, there are more than enough choices for 88 piano action boards.

What I find rather ridiculous is there exist no 73 to 76 key unweighted controller that has all

the capabilities needed for anything from an HX3 to a lead soft synth, complete with drawbars

rotationals joystick ribbon ect., etc.

Should also be self customizable as well to set up to ones long or short term needs.

Probably not the proper thread for this thought but since the HX3 has become what it

is now I felt I needed to reiterate this thought I have had for over a decade now.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I was very happy that the HX-3 ugraded flawlessley.

I stopped back at 3 something.

Figured I had a funky unit and would get to it during Christmas vacation.

Went smooth and is really a significant upgrade.

I just crank everything on high since I love the dirt, then tweak down to more sensible settings.

Reverb tweaks are nice, C3 Scanner options are sweet.

Glad I took the chance.

Thanks Diversi and Keynoard Partner.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

A.C. obviously hasn't got the idea behind the HX3.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, I was one of the 1st recognizing it exists and when it was completely unknown outside germany.

I´m a big fan of that project.

OTOH, I DON´T WANT upgrading often and save time instead looking for update availability in the web all the time, download and tinker w/ that s##t,- but that´s only me.

YMMV, but I´m not a youngster anymore and lifetime is limited.

I wanna make money w/ music and not betatesting software updates.

And now don´t tell me updates aren´t betas.

In fact they always are because the next one is in the pipeline already and there is definitely NO bug free software in the world.

With everything software you tinker w/ bugs,- so it´s never finished.

I don´t bitch when there will come a handfull of carefully selected updates to improve a machine, but when there will come dozens or more over the years, quasi in a never ending sequence, I´m out.

When a machine needs continuously to be updated I have a bad feel when using it,- like some doubtful feeling in my neck me waiting for some desastrous failure coming out of the blue while performing.

There are reasons why touring pros use only a few brands of gear well known as road-proof,- typically Yamaha, Roland, KORG and NORD as also Hammond/Suzuki and sometimes also Kawai in the DP department as also Kurzweil, but not so much.

I don´t say these are perfect, there were always better and not so good products in the ballpark also there,- but most I used from those over decades worked flawlessly for me and most I own and owned after buying carefully, needed 1 or 2 or none updates.

But I have to mention I never bought a NORD up to now and avoided buying a Kronos.

Those products,- call ´em tech/tour rider qualified,- aren´t the very best sounding and most detailed instrument emulations always, but do the job well all day, surviving transport and offer idiot proof handling even for roadies or more worst,- stage hands.

thx

A.C.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that are here in the US or Canada.

No mater if you purchased your HX3 from Germany or from someone privately we are more then willing to help you. We offer Live Remote desktop sessions at no charge and if you need or want to have us update or reprogrammed it all you have to pay is for the shipping both ways.

Using the US Postal Service round trip for an HX3 using Priority Mail is pretty inexpensive. In MOST cases we turn it around the same day. We get it in the morning and back out around 4pm ET.

Also, if you are here in the US or Canada and own an HX3 please register it on our website. We have an Private Email that goes out to our owners that gives you information about Update Releases and anything specail that is going on.

As to Carsten in Germany. I have worked for a couple of manufactures and will tell you, Carsten listens to requests for new features and refinements for his product. And he responed to many of them. Some things take longer than others. FYI when we recev a suggestion here at Diversi we forward them to him.

As always thank you for your time,

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

Actually Al Coda showed me the HX-3 a while back and I am eternally grateful to the Brewmeister....

Ankyu

FWIW I use AT for each Vibrato selected AFT Curves on the K4.

ALso having a blast with Bome doing drawbar swell combos from a single MIDI CC.

Almost all hardware again except for that damn Kontakt PLAY PianoTeq Spectrasonics u-He shit....

Mitch,

There is no change soundwise from 4.1 to 4.21.

It seems there was a demand for a tuning option from

some players e.g. 440hz to 443hz (when playing in an orchestra).

So Carsten implemented a tuning option from +/- 100 cent.

Not relevant for the Expanders but for the MAG/Uhl/Others Organs

with fatar scancore: now you can change the triggerpoint high/low.

And some minor bugfixes (e.g. flickering display on start up....)

Anyway, don't see much to improve now.... Leslie Sim, CV, Perc..... SPOT ON !

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hi Bill,

I did an additional beta test for him on tuesday night... Wolfgang will release the 4.21 soon !

Be a little patient, we had some "last second problems"

(more related to Win10 than the X3 itself) that

Wolfgang is sorting out now....

He will inform every customer via Email when the release is ready for download.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

just updated to 4.21.

DAMN !!!

:keynana:

My HX3 is at our rehearsal space so I won't be able to update until next week.

So is this new key contact update the virtual 9-key contact compatible with Fatar actions they have been talking about or just a higher trigger point?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Its just the trigger point (the lower, the higher was there from the beginning).

But its the "first step" in the virtual future....

;-)

• 2 weeks later...
just updated to 4.21.

DAMN !!!

:keynana:

My HX3 is at our rehearsal space so I won't be able to update until next week.

So is this new key contact update the virtual 9-key contact compatible with Fatar actions they have been talking about or just a higher trigger point?

The 9-key contact for the Fatar Keyboard TP/O8 requires the keyboard scanning board be replaced by the new scanning board that KeyboardPartner makes. If you own MIDI keyboard that uses a Fatar keyboard you will need to change that out. As to the price of the board I don't have the US price yet but should soon.

Regards to all,

Tom Tuson

Diversi

The FatarScan2 is listed on the Keyboard Partners site for 59 euros. It says it will give midi velocity to the fatar keys. Don't think that is the same as "9 key contact" feature that some are wanting but I could be wrong. Normally to me velocity means if you hit the keys harder the sound will be louder. Obviously would not want that for organ so this must be different?

Wolfgang will send you the link for the update via email .

i just read the info on the update , some good stuff in there .

i like that vol red knob will affect all outputs now and they've

got the c/v singing again . the preset function was also in

need of some tweaking .should be good , the sound keeps getting richer

I love the Physis K4 with this.

I prefer aftertouch for Vibrato, but using aftertouch can also decrease Tube Overdrive simultaneously as I program it that way.

That way I constantly have that WHiter Shade Of Pale sound and the CHorus C3 vibrato shave off a hair of it so it's in your face and clean...

MIDI is still my best friend...