Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I do not think this is OT, but to Prius or not?

I-missRichardTee

Tesla was awesome and ahead of his time.

The Rotten Rat , was Morgan the Bankster.

Brett

DId you check out the site Dave Weiser suggested? It paints Edison as worse than an incompetent fool. Of course I am speaking in comparison to the true genius that was Nikola Tesla. Far more balls bravado than talent in Edison.

Tell us about Morgan!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The greatest thing about driving a Prius is all the money you save on condoms. :wave:

Greg beat me to the punch. :thu:

As I have mentioned in a similar thread years ago, the Prius definitely qualifies as a BCV (Birth Control Vehicle).

It will haul you and your gear to and from gigs but you won't be picking up any additional...azz. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I didn't get the Prius slur, sorry. I still don't get it, A Prius says about a man that that person is intelligent enough to own a cutting edge vehicle that gets double the gas mileage, with all that that implies.

Can we get back to the point of the thread now...?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Toyota Highlander.

And the leslie....man, I can't believe I'm saying this, but at this point in my life, no way I'd trade my Ventilator for a leslie. (Well, actually, if it was a 122 or 147, I would trade it, and then buy another Ventilator.) But I wouldn't haul a leslie around anymore. And that's a compliment to the quality of The Ventilator as much as it is a statement on my reluctance to carry anything that big and heavy anymore.

I used a leslie for every gig until 2008. When gas hit $4 a gallon, I had to put $75 in my tank for a gig, and I decided at that moment that as soon as I could sell my van, it was gone, and the leslies would follow. They did.

Rent a leslie for a gig, and haul it yourself. THEN make up your mind about the car and buying a leslie.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Toyota Highlander.

And the leslie....man, I can't believe I'm saying this, but at this point in my life, no way I'd trade my Ventilator for a leslie. (Well, actually, if it was a 122 or 147, I would trade it, and then buy another Ventilator.) But I wouldn't haul a leslie around anymore. And that's a compliment to the quality of The Ventilator as much as it is a statement on my reluctance to carry anything that big and heavy anymore.

I used a leslie for every gig until 2008. When gas hit $4 a gallon, I had to put $75 in my tank for a gig, and I decided at that moment that as soon as I could sell my van, it was gone, and the leslies would follow. They did.

Rent a leslie for a gig, and haul it yourself. THEN make up your mind about the car and buying a leslie.

Your "argument" is well stated, backed by experience, and is persuasive.

Now allow me to ask you to listen to the sound of this B3 played by a monster player. True he would sound about as great with a Vent, I suppose.. but check out the first few minutes of this video.. and tell me how much the Leslie is helping to create that mojo

[video:youtube]

It is NOT the best fidelity... and does not show off the Leslie at its best.. nevertheless, notice ever time he switches the Leslie on fast, how it lifts the music. I do not think a Vent can do that.

My wife drives a Prius V, which I talked her into. I was the perfect car for her job as a factory sales rep for fabrics and with back problems. The back is flush so you can slide stuff out (like a good ol' station wagon, but higher up).

Biggest downside is the thing costs a friggin' fortune. Great gas mileage (she gets about 44 overall; I get more because I make it a game to get high mileage.) It's quiet, comfortable, convenient, very nice overall, though far less room for stuff than my Chrysler Town&Country minivan (definitely birth control on wheels, more so than the Prius, though I may get some compensation when there are instruments in the back and windsurfer on top.)

I did a fair amount of research before buying, wondering about the battery lifetime and car lifetime. As it turns out, batteries that were tested after 6 years of use have most of their initial capacity. Part of the reason, I suspect, is that they're not kept topped off, but closer to 80%, to reserve storage capacity for braking. They're only topped off after stopping at the bottom of a hill.

You don't ever get 100+ MPG except on a very short stretch, or downhill (and the same is true of my 2000 minivan). Charging going downhill and using it going uphill is true but still less efficient than driving on the level, which (news flash) takes energy, to overcome rolling resistance and wind resistance. No free lunch.

Acceleration is a little better than the classic 60's VW Vanagon, less than the 80's version. Meaning, it's plenty for any normal situation, but anyone who likes acceleration won't find it. It would be considered pretty seriously underpowered by old standards, but IMHO, acceleration is overrated. My minivan can accel faster but I don't (since I want to get good mileage).

As a GHV it would be great, but you will NEVER recoup the extra cost of this vehicle in saved gas, especially comparing it to a good used vehicle.

BTW, my sister in law has an excellent condition Subaru Outback for sale, asking $11K I believe. If anyone's interested, I'll find out what year and mileage. It's low mileage for the age. It does look like a great little GHV.

For bigger loads, consider a Honda Odyssey. Decent mileage for that size car, holds resale value, great all-around minivan. Dunno if a Hammond/Leslie would fit; that might require a van.

For saving money, buy used. You'll never use enough gas to compensate for the $10K or more you save buying used. Then take care of it and drive it until it's 15 years old with 200K miles and starting to cost over 1/2 the payments on a replacement, and before reliability becomes an issue for gigging.

Can a Prius do the speed limit on the interstate? I've never seen it.
No problem going 80 upwind on a very windy day. The problem is lack of accel, not speed. If you want the feeling of accel, it's not the car for you. If you want something that's fine for traffic, it's fine.

There's a funny segment of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson takes the Prius on the track, followed by a BWM. Of course, he sets it in "power" mode and just floors it the whole way around the track. The result, of course, is disappointing in every way: the time is abysmal, and the gas mileage is in the low 20's, less than the BMW. Jeremy's face is a hoot, totally bored the whole drive, hardly even bothering to look where he's going.

I didn't get the Prius slur, sorry. I still don't get it, A Prius says about a man that that person is intelligent enough to own a cutting edge vehicle that gets double the gas mileage, with all that that implies.

Just one more :D

So let me get this straight, that prius has a 1.5 liter engine and my bottle of Fresca has 2?

http://product.expotv.com/8/3/6/83680_150x150.jpg

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Just one more

So let me get this straight, that prius has a 1.5 liter engine and my bottle of Fresca has 2?

http://product.expotv.com/8/3/6/83680_150x150.jpg

A Greg, assuming that avatar is actually you.. how many years or months since that pic was taken of you sitting on the piano? lol

Right, which is not what hot chicks are looking for. They'd far rather hop into a BWM convertible.

What is wrong with the way my Prius looks? I don't get it. :rolleyes:

It's not the look, it's the image.

Right, which is not what hot chicks are looking for. They'd far rather hop into a BWM convertible.

What is wrong with the way my Prius looks? I don't get it. :rolleyes:

It's not the look, it's the image.

Those are either money grabbers, or just stoopid gurls, either way, I will pass

My wife and I have owned a Prius V (the longer one with much more cargo space) for about a year and love it. It's her day to day car, but i typically take it to gigs. I can pack my Stage 2, MOX6, Z stand, Motion sound KP200S, and a small Mackie PA system with no problems. The back seats fold down flat. One caveat...dealers get a lot less of these than the normal Prius models and they sell quickly..so you pretty much pay list price.

Just a couple further comments now that I have time. I'm 6'3" and I frequently have head room problems in high-fuel efficiency cars (the smaller Mazda cars for example.) The Prius has plenty of head room.

Since I assume cargo space is a factor for you: here are a few comparisons of cargo space (in cubic feet) without the back seats folded down:

Standard Prius: 21.6

Prius V: 34.3

Toyota RAV: 36.9

Kia Sorento: 38.4

Subaru Outback: 34.3

You can always do what I did: test drive the car, take it home and load up your equipment :)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Hey Sam OT We have three players here in sunny S Cal , who I believe are from Iowa. Duncan Moore, Lynn Willard, and Russell Bizzett. All very good musicians!

Hey Sam OT We have three players here in sunny S Cal , who I believe are from Iowa. Duncan Moore, Lynn Willard, and Russell Bizzett. All very good musicians!

Amazing how some people overcome their handicaps ;)

I looked at Duncan's web site and looks like we missed each other at U of Iowa by a few years..but I'm guessing he played with some of the jazz guys that are still around here. (It's not a huge place).

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

My main GHV is an 07 Grand Caravan. The seats fold flat, I can fit my whole rig plus the PA including subs in there and still not have to stack anything higher than a gig bag on top of a cord box. 20-21mpg average, decent acceleration when you have to get out into traffic. 2 side doors so you don't have to crawl into the back to move gear around, it's low enough that you don't have to pick anything up like you do getting it into an SUV. Not head turner at all, but practical for my needs.

I was just busting balls with the Prius comment. I get a chuckle when I ride by one on my motorcycle, and I look down and my average mpg is showing 50+ @ 80mph, my face is in the wind, and I'm having a blast, and they all look so bored.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was just busting balls with the Prius comment. I get a chuckle when I ride by one on my motorcycle, and I look down and my average mpg is showing 50+ @ 80mph, my face is in the wind, and I'm having a blast, and they all look so bored.

Wait....how do you get the Leslie on your motorcycle? :confused:

For sure, if someone is looking for significant acceleration (along with the other requirements), then the Prius ain't it.

www.stickmanor.com

We have a really nice long thread about Gear Hauling Vehicles aka GHV on the forum where most of these points are discussed in great detail. I will try to find it. In the meantime, I will let you know that my Jetta TDI Sportwagen has been excellent. Great mpg, huge cargo space, sporty and fun ride, plus high quality build and safety.

When I was shopping for GHV several years ago, I test fit my entire live rig into every test drive. My rig was of greater size then and several vehicles were ruled out because they would not hold my gear.

I have a Mazda5 - it's basically a mini-mini van without the bulk I don't need. Good gas mileage and dependable!

Speaking of Prius: amemba dis?

[video:youtube]

Here for the gear.

My car is approaching 110,000 miles, and I rack miles rather quickly!! .....Advice on Prius.. or rebuild my car when time comes, or get a vehicle that can carry a Leslie??????

Generally speaking, the cost per mile to drive a car decreases the more miles it is driven. This would even include normal repairs that occur along the way and even "major" repairs (like rebuilding a transmission). The longer you keep a car and the more you drive it, the cost per mile will drop over time.

Most cars are not investments that increase in value. Generally speaking, as they age, they lose value. Likewise, as you drive it, it loses value.

Do I think you'll save money by replacing your current vehicle? Most likely not. One very important factor in the cost of ownership is the cost of insurance. Insurance on an older car is cheaper than on a newer one. So again, the older your car, the less it will cost to insure. Also, in my state we pay excise tax on the vehicle when getting it licensed. In other states, cars are taxed as personal property. Again, an older car is cheaper in these areas as well.

As one person already said here, you also can't save enough on fuel cost to pay for the difference of a high fuel mileage vehicle.

Americans love affair with cars does a lot to fuel our economy, but personally I don't indulge in that area. I've owned seven Camry's and my current two have 110,000 and 140,000 miles on them. They drive great, get around 25 MPG (just over 30 on road trips) and are big enough for adults to ride in as well as carry a reasonable amount of gear when needed. I have no plans to get rid of either of them (and best of all they're paid for). I'll keep saving for my next car and pay cash when the time comes. Much better than paying a car loan to a bank.

If I were you, I would look at cost of monthly payments, cost of insurance, license, taxes (oh yeah, sales tax is another BIG cost of ownership) and look at a couple things.

1) What is all that going to cost you per month compared to your current vehicle?

2) What is the total cost for the new vehicle ('X' $$ per month for 'X' months) compared to paying off your current vehicle and saving the difference between the new and the current vehicle?

3) Compare how much you currently spend on fuel and compare it to what it will cost with a new vehicle.

Do this and you'll most likely fall out of love with the idea of getting a new ride.

Not that it will probably stop you if you want that Leslie. :)

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Your 2005 Subaru should last another 90,000 miles, however, your maintenance costs will go up and there's the possibility you might need a major rebuild of something during that time, and all the while you are getting mediocre gas mileage, so getting a new car that doubles your mpg's is a pretty sound idea.

We have a prius and love it. Not an exciting car, but a very very smart and practical one. If I had to buy a new car I'd buy a Prius, every time!

12 years ago I owned an Outback and was, now and then, moving my Hammond chop and Leslie in it, the latter laying down, of course.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wow the last two posts... hmmmm . Be back .. I need to mull this over. Feel free to add more if you feel so inclined.

I've got the Subaru Outback as well, but if I were on a tighter budget and/or didn't care about all wheel drive, the Honda Fit holds a ton of gear... inexpensive, dependable, great mileage. Better economical choice than a Prius, since the Prius' better MPG is generally not sufficiently better to make up the initial cost difference of the car in a reasonable amount of time.

The aforementioned Mazda 5 would probably be a good choice too, but if you can fit your stuff into the Fit (and don't assume you can't until you try it), it would be cheaper and get better mileage. I had a Fit and it held more than a Grand Cherokee I had, and almost as much as the Outback. (Really, about the only extra space the Outback has over the Fit are the wells behind the front seats.) It's deceptive... it looks so small from the outside, but the inside is arranged so well that it holds much more than you'd expect.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

WHoa, come again? A Prius.. haul a 147? No problemo? HOW?

You did note I was talking Prius Wagon ( i.e Prius V)?

Seats fold down so laying a 147 or 122 on its back will slide right in. Which (cough) reminds me.. the only chick I get with the Prius is the one I bought the car for. :o

If you're a musician and you're not getting laid based on chops and mojo, the solution is not a sexier car, it's more practicing.

Thank you, DanL, for bringing up motorcycles, one of my favorite topics. I've been known to pack rigs onto bikes. Never any real amplification, though. Physics dictates it's just impossible.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived