Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I do not think this is OT, but to Prius or not?

I-missRichardTee

PS I'm closing in fast on 16,000 posts! I'm thinking this is yet another good reason to party! C'mon guys - first round is on me!

Yes, please...

http://uncrate.com/p/2007/03/chimay-glass.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being of the, uh, mature age that you are, if you're not experienced on bikes, then you probably shouldn't start now.

That said, motorcycle injury statistics, if you granulate them, vary widely based on factors like age and type of motorcycle. If you approach it the right way, the risk is not so bad, in my opinion.

Excuse me, what does granulate them mean.. factoring in age?

My friend was quite emphatic and "final", do not ride a bike, unless falling to the ground is acceptable to you! The stats were waaaay out of proportion. I wish I could find them. I thought it was 35 to 1 kind of a stat.. it made bike riding an absolute no no. I really wanted to try it. I should think in a rural area, perhaps, slower speeds?

It means that if you look more closely at the statistics, you'll find that information specific to your age and the type of motorcycle you have factor heavily into a decision regarding whether or not you should be riding.

For some of us, we should never consider a motorcycle as our primary means of transportation.

We're too busy texting & posting to The Keyboard Corner! :laugh:;)

ITGITC? :cool:

PS I'm closing in fast on 16,000 posts! I'm thinking this is yet another good reason to party! C'mon guys - first round is on me! :D

Tom , I would like to "print out of thin air" and award you $16,000 on the day it happens :).

Brett

IMRT, take the MSF beginning rider's course. Don't buy a bike, just take the course. You will learn way more than you can on the internet, and get a couple of days of riding around in a parking lot on an MSF bike. If you decide after the course that you still want to ride, you will be educated enough to select an appropriate motorcycle (hint: start small) and not die.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I have been driving manual transmission for 43 years (automatics are less prevalent over here).

Last month, I was on holiday in the US, and drove nearly 2500 miles through Colarado, Utah, Montana and Wyoming. We had a Chevrolet Impala with auto.

EVERY time we had to climb a steep hill, I felt that the car was in too high a gear, with a manual, I would have been changing down about 75% of the way up the hill.

Frustrating, to say the least.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

For me, I find that a used mini-van is best. Decent mileage, easy loading, average performance. They don't attract girls, but, as mentioned, if you need your gig car to attract girls, something is off...

There is plenty of flat floor in the back of the van if you do need it for a girl. I don't have the back seat in mine, and just one side of the 2 third row seats. I try to find minivans which have an "off" switch for interior lights; this does help a lot too. My current car is a 12 year old Pontiac Montana (Chevy Venture) which has this interior light switch. It is ugly as sin, that mud color which is a testimonial to those who don't wash their car (always looks the same)

Also, if you like to drive a little recklessly, or have had a little too much to drink after a gig, I find that the ugly minivan attracts less attention that normal cars. I imagine most gigmobiles aren't that attractive to cops anyway.

I have other cars to drive for fun.

Also, the property taxes here in Virginia is a huge deterrent to buying a newish vehicle for transport use...you have this yearly tax, the initial sales tax, etc. I know each state/local jurisdiction has their own way to shaft us on taxes, but if your state has property taxes on cars, just at least figure this cost into your yearly expenses.

Around here, even in the Shenandoah Valley, this tax is like $4.25 ish per $100 assessed value per year. To be fair, the overall taxes aren't very bad; it's just that a large part is collected on personal property.

Paul

One word about vans - it used to be that the best practice was to get one without windows so people could not see your gear.

These days, vans without windows seem to be used by child snatchers around here. I wouldn't own one for that reason. :idk:

You could put a fictitious label on the van such as "Precision Plumbing." The public and the police look on those vans with more respect than a non-labeled van or one that has "Free Candy" spray painted on it.

For me, I find that a used mini-van is best.
+1

Though I've never tried it I could probably fit a B3 and 2 leslies into the back of my Dodge Grand Caravan, as both the second and third row seats easily fold flat into the floor, and still have room for more keyboard equipment. I believe it has around 167 cubic feet of cargo space.

Many minivans can be fitted with lift gates on the side door (wheelchair access) so might be an option for you Tee.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Also, if you like to drive a little recklessly, or have had a little too much to drink after a gig, I find that the ugly minivan attracts less attention that normal cars. I imagine most gigmobiles aren't that attractive to cops anyway.
That's the truth.

Back when I drove various (non-minivan) beaters, if I had a headlight out, a cop would stop me (and of course, check for warrants). Now that I drive a presentable minivan, I can drive with a headlight out for months without ever being stopped. A soccer-mom car just isn't what the people who cops want to find happen to drive. It might also help being over 40.

Another nice thing about driving an old minivan is you generally have the right-of-way whenever it's in question. :laugh: Of course, not over the old pickup or full-sized van!

EVERY time we had to climb a steep hill, I felt that the car was in too high a gear, with a manual, I would have been changing down about 75% of the way up the hill.

SSM

Automatic transmissions are designed to shift at the appropriate time based on speed, engine RPM, load, and throttle position. Unless something is wrong with the car, the computer was likely choosing the gears correctly. If the car didn't downshift going uphill, then a downshift wasn't required, even if the driver "feels" that a downshift was needed.

These days, vans without windows seem to be used by child snatchers around here. I wouldn't own one for that reason. :idk:

Are you saying that there are so many child snatchers in your area, that that is a valid reason not to buy a van without windows? I'm totally gobsmacked. If I were you, I'd relocate! :laugh:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM

Automatic transmissions are designed to shift at the appropriate time based on speed, engine RPM, load, and throttle position. Unless something is wrong with the car, the computer was likely choosing the gears correctly. If the car didn't downshift going uphill, then a downshift wasn't required, even if the driver "feels" that a downshift was needed.

Maybe the engineers at Chevrolet haven't got a clue what they're doing! :):)

SSM

SSM, did you put your foot to the floor? That's how you get most slushboxes to downshift without using the shifter.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

SSM, did you put your foot to the floor? That's how you get most slushboxes to downshift without using the shifter.

Yeah, over here we call that "kick down". Tried it, but there didn't seem to be one fitted. Not slagging off the car, as we got reasonable gas mileage, it was very reliable, and had a huge trunk (which, believe me, you need when Keyboard Girl goes shopping for souveniiers!)

However, there were some curious omissions. The trip meter didn't have "zero reset" on it, and the central locking only worked on the driver's door, then you had to open it, and press another switch inside to open the other three doors. Curious.

SSM

there were some curious omissions. The trip meter didn't have "zero reset" on it, and the central locking only worked on the driver's door, then you had to open it, and press another switch inside to open the other three doors. Curious.

Curious indeed.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I take it nobody in America at least , drives , or wants to drive a diesel engined vehicle?.

How much does your diesel fuel cost?.

A diesel is about 25-30% more economical , but sadly today - since about 2000 it's a mine field out there in the diesel world , and you have to be very careful choosing.

Brett

I take it nobody in America at least , drives , or wants to drive a diesel engined vehicle?.

A diesel is about 25-30% more economical , but sadly today - since about 2000 it's a mine field out there in the diesel world , and you have to be very careful choosing.

Brett

A lot of people mistakenly think diesel automobiles are big polluters and they condemn diesel drivers as environment unfriendly. Diesels may show more smoke but there are very little toxins in diesel exhausts especially now that diesel is much cleaner than say 20 to 30 years ago. The trucks at my work are quite old (1995 and 2003) but when they get their annual emissions test they pass with flying colours every time. Nothing special is done to them prior to the test except making sure there is fresh fuel in the tank and the engine is warm.

Many cities in America and Canada are not car friendly and when you have to drive short distances in town it is bad for diesel engines. Those who do drive Volkswagen diesels really like them though.

Also, diesel fuel is much harder to find in the U.S. Not impossible by any means, but probably fewer than half the gas stations have diesel. One more thing to have to worry about when you're driving home from a gig late at night and are looking for an open gas station...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Brett

A lot of people mistakenly think diesel automobiles are big polluters and they condemn diesel drivers as environment unfriendly. Diesels may show more smoke but there are very little toxins in diesel exhausts especially now that diesel is much cleaner than say 20 to 30 years ago. The trucks at my work are quite old (1995 and 2003) but when they get their annual emissions test they pass with flying colours every time. Nothing special is done to them prior to the test except making sure there is fresh fuel in the tank and the engine is warm.

Many cities in America and Canada are not car friendly and when you have to drive short distances in town it is bad for diesel engines. Those who do drive Volkswagen diesels really like them though.

Too true , and petrol fumes have much more deadly carbon monoxide than diesel , diesel has the more visible black carbon tinge to it's exhaust sometimes .

A volcano puts out more pollution in about 5 minutes than all the vehicles on earth.

So I guess the diesel fuel is harder to procure in the states , and the same price?.

Brett

I love the Tesla, Volt, Prius all that stuff. I'm not tree hugger extremist, I just think the internal combustion engine is past its prime. You don't need multi-speed transmissions when you have 100% torque all the time. An electric car is vastly simpler. Here are the things when compared to an ICE car, according to Ford, that an electric car does not need: air filter; oil and filter; muffler; spark plugs and fluids; alternator; battery (in the conventional sense...); clutch; fuel filter; fuel injectors and pump; motor mounts; O2 sensors; power steering fluid (it uses electrical assistance); radiator and assorted pipework; serpentine belt; spark plug wires; starter motor; thermostat; timing belt; anything to do with regular transmissions (adjustment, fluids, filters) and a water pump. The brakes last significantly longer than on an ICE car.

My next car will likely be a Tesla or similar. The Prius is great too. The hybrids give you excellent highway AND city, something diesels and others cannot. If you're worried about what other people think of you and what you drive, given there's seven billion people on the planet, you're going to have a lot of worries.

Here's the White Zombie electric annihilating one of the quickest production ICE cars, the Nissan GTR.

[video:youtube]

Busch.

I love the Tesla, Volt, Prius all that stuff. I'm not tree hugger extremist, I just think the internal combustion engine is past its prime. You don't need multi-speed transmissions when you have 100% torque all the time. An electric car is vastly simpler. Here are the things when compared to an ICE car, according to Ford, that an electric car does not need: air filter; oil and filter; muffler; spark plugs and fluids; alternator; battery (in the conventional sense...); clutch; fuel filter; fuel injectors and pump; motor mounts; O2 sensors; power steering fluid (it uses electrical assistance); radiator and assorted pipework; serpentine belt; spark plug wires; starter motor; thermostat; timing belt; anything to do with regular transmissions (adjustment, fluids, filters) and a water pump. The brakes last significantly longer than on an ICE car.

My next car will likely be a Tesla or similar. The Prius is great too. The hybrids give you excellent highway AND city, something diesels and others cannot. If you're worried about what other people think of you and what you drive, given there's seven billion people on the planet, you're going to have a lot of worries.

Busch.

The reason I won't purchase an electric or hybrid car now is because I don't know what is all involved in manufacturing the motors, batteries as well as disposing and recycling of those items. As well the electricity has to come from somewhere. Once I have some cold hard facts then I can make a better judgment on whether electric cars and hybrids are a good option. Once the technology becomes more refined and efficient then I would also reconsider when shopping for a car in the future. In the meantime I will keep on driving my crappy 2003 Hyundai Accent. It still gets me from point A to point B. No sense taking it to the auto recycling plant when it still works.

SSM

My AT Acura RL detects when I'm on a grade and keeps the car in a lower gear--just smart electronics. In something like a Tesla it's irrelevant.

Busch.

Busch.

The reason I won't purchase an electric or hybrid car now is because I don't know what is all involved in manufacturing the motors, batteries as well as disposing and recycling of those items. As well the electricity has to come from somewhere. Once I have some cold hard facts then I can make a better judgment on whether electric cars and hybrids are a good option. Once the technology becomes more refined and efficient then I would also reconsider when shopping for a car in the future. In the meantime I will keep on driving my crappy 2003 Hyundai Accent. It still gets me from point A to point B. No sense taking it to the auto recycling plant when it still works.

In Washington state, where I live, 70% of electricity comes from hydro. Coal is less than 10%. The state is a net exporter of electricity. Electricity cost is less than 9 cents per KWH (the lowest in the country).

Given a federal tax credit of $7,500 and a state exemption from sales tax (~10%) that an approximate $15,000 discount right out the door. Figure much lower maintenance and fuel costs (for me it would be about $2500/yr less for gas alone) a Tesla IS much less expensive than a COMPARABLE BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/etc.

But I agree, don't do it till you need to. My Acura only has 107,000 miles on it. When it gets closer to 10 years old I'll be looking at this more seriously.

Busch.

Archived