Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I do not think this is OT, but to Prius or not?

I-missRichardTee

Just like my keyboard stands, and other peripherals, the automobile or van, that carries my valuables to and from a gig, without too much fear of breakdown, IS relevant to us as musicians, yes?

Allan Evert made a comment about driving 50 miles one way to a gig, sometimes much more; and this got me to thinking.

I drive 50 miles one way myself.

This question is especially for you brainy, college, intelligent, logical analytical guys, but all are welcome to give input!! Edit this is essentially a financially based question.. I am not too brilliant when it comes to finances!

I owe $3500 or so on my 110,000 miles, automobile. Should i buy another car now?

To carry all my stuff, I have to stuff the hatchback. I have learned to deal with not seeing out of the rear hatch window because blocked etc.

One other thing is involved, a real Leslie speaker.. I am gassing for a real Leslie.. I own one, but cannot carry it in a hatch! So the real GAS is for a vehicle, The down side is any vehicle that can accommodate a Leslie or two, is not going to do well with gasoline!

My car is approaching 110,000 miles, and I rack miles rather quickly!! I prefer to play than to stay home!

Advice on Prius.. or rebuild my car when time comes, or get a vehicle that can carry a Leslie??????

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you , is this found "in the States"? I had never heard of it. it looks similar to the discontinued Honda Element.

Longevity is another issue.. would "you" get a modern Ford without "looking back" on the formidable Prius?

My question is mainly a financially based question.. the Leslie truck deal just distracts a bit!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

My wife and I have owned a Prius V (the longer one with much more cargo space) for about a year and love it. It's her day to day car, but i typically take it to gigs. I can pack my Stage 2, MOX6, Z stand, Motion sound KP200S, and a small Mackie PA system with no problems. The back seats fold down flat. One caveat...dealers get a lot less of these than the normal Prius models and they sell quickly..so you pretty much pay list price.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Screw the Prius and ford. Get a Subaru Outback. One of the greatest cars out there... Large enough to carry anything, and it gets 28 MPh. My wife owns it and I use it for gigs. Car and driver ranked it #1 SUV.... Drives like a dream.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

My previous car was a Subaru STI 2005 !!! As you might detect, old grouchy Tee is still a damn kid at heart !!

Tesla.

Come again.. .Tesla the incomparable genius who ruffled Edison's feathers a bit, or the car, named in his honor? Dave, you are one of those brainy guys, why are you teasing me with A Tesla??? Tesla, is way out of my reach.. but you know that.. I am a musician!!

Yes the car, though I am a big fan of the man as well.

You will get to the gig faster than any keyboardist in the history of driving to gigs. I'd wager that a Leslie might fit in the front passenger seat.

Were you to get a Tesla, drive it to gigs and post pics, you would have some of the most widely read posts on this forum!

Sorry can't help with any brainy advice - I studied music and liberal arts and suck at finance on a scale that staggers the imagination. In lieu of meaningful advice, I'll share this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Oddly enough, the best I have found as a gig hauler and everyday driver is a PT Cruiser I bought some years back. I've had hatchbacks and small wagons but the PT at least has some headroom. I can transport the bottom of my leslie 21 system upright and it has plenty of room for the top unit as well,an XK3, stand, Nord and fairly substantial tool box which I use for cables and what not. Take the rear seats out and cargo room for days. I know they don't make 'em anymore but a later model PT and Chevy's HHR might be worh looking at on the used market.

I am going nuts because haunted by the nagging question, what is missing in my wonderful Mojo.. I think I do not want to face the answer... But A guy named Don L invented it. I am getting old though still have some power. My friend who has carried 2 122's all his life, is finally thinking about switching from ramps to a tommy gate or Tommy lift. Imagine just putting your gear on a Tommy gate and the lift does the work?

There is a a now old song What I Did For Love... oh boy, it sounds like my song.. and yours too!?

You will get to the gig faster than any keyboardist in the history of driving to gigs. I'd wager that a Leslie might fit in the front passenger seat.

Were you to get a Tesla, drive it to gigs and post pics, you would have some of the most widely read posts on this forum!

Sorry can't help with any brainy advice - I studied music and liberal arts and suck at finance on a scale that staggers the imagination. In lieu of meaningful advice, I'll share this:

Dave Weiser thank you thank you.. I rarely read books anymore but I read a book on Tesla a real hero.. that nasty Edison fellow had many of us fooled.

Thank you for that Tesla info.. Tesla was a variation of what I wanted to be as a small boy before music took over.

Look at a Kia Sorento.

Coincidentally my closest friend drives that very model car! She likes it!

:D , No Girl is going to want to hop into a Prius!?! :D.

If you've got money to burn , and still want to stick to a car (sedan) , get the new Toyota Camry Hybrid.

A beautiful and super economical car at 45+ MPG.

I hired one on the Gold Coast with the family about 5 months ago , and it is one of the nicest cars I have ever driven , and I have driven many. Toyota's are one of the most reliable too.

The Prius is like a roller skate in comparison.

(Otherwise really , a van is the way to go)

Brett

Dave Weiser thank you thank you.. I rarely read books anymore but I read a book on Tesla a real hero.. that nasty Edison fellow had many of us fooled.

Thank you for that Tesla info.. Tesla was a variation of what I wanted to be as a small boy before music took over.

Tesla was awesome and ahead of his time.

The Rotten Rat , was Morgan the Bankster.

Brett

:D , No Girl is going to want to hop into a Prius!?! :D.

If you've got money to burn , and still want to stick to a car (sedan) , get the new Toyota Camry Hybrid.

A beautiful and super economical car at 45+ MPG.

I hired one on the Gold Coast with the family about 5 months ago , and it is one of the nicest cars I have ever driven , and I have driven many. Toyota's are one of the most reliable too.

The Prius is like a roller skate in comparison.

(Otherwise really , a van is the way to go)

Brett

I considered a Camry Hybrid in Summer of 2011 after my other Camry got wrecked. The battery took up half the trunk space. Has this been redesigned? I ended up with a regular Camry. My wife has a 2012 Prius Wagon and I've used it to haul a Leslie 147 - no problem. BTW Neither car has landed me more chicks - probably a good thing.

I drive a 2011 Prius and I absolutely love it. Anyone who jokes about this car has simply either never driven it or is in envy of it.

I could make a very long list of advantages to the Prius and not list a single negative. The 51 MPG gas mileage is just the beginning: there are no belts, the brakes last 100k miles, the batteries take up no trunk space (they are under the back seat), the AC continues to run when the car is stopped (not so with many hybrids), you can combine the gas and electric motors for fast acceleration, at low speeds you can run it as an electric car only. It is the most aerodynamic production car made so it's quiet by design. Here in Atlanta, the Prius qualifies as an alternative fuel vehicle so I can drive in the HOV traffic lanes. Most importantly, I can put an 88 note digital piano in it's case in the back with the seat folded down and still close the tailgate easily.

There have been times when driving over long slightly hilly roads with the cruise on where the car would charge while going downhill then discharge while going uphill, back and forth - the car used no gas at all. That 51 MPG is an average, sometimes it gets 100MPG+

I leased my 2011 Prius for $200/month which is what I save in gas over driving my previous car (a Scion TC) so I essentially drive the car for free.

My next car will be a Prius, maybe the car after too. I have no reservations about recommending the Prius.

Can a Prius do the speed limit on the interstate? I've never seen it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My guitar player has a prius.. and I'm absolutely amazed at how much gear he can get in it! Don't know about a full size leslie but it holds a lot.. and the gas mileage is incredible (obviously with a hybrid vehicle).. He loves it so much that he's just bought another one and he's given his original to his daughter.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I considered a Camry Hybrid in Summer of 2011 after my other Camry got wrecked. The battery took up half the trunk space. Has this been redesigned? I ended up with a regular Camry. My wife has a 2012 Prius Wagon and I've used it to haul a Leslie 147 - no problem. BTW Neither car has landed me more chicks - probably a good thing.

WHoa, come again? A Prius.. haul a 147? No problemo? HOW?

I'll keep my Jeep Wrangler unlimited. It can haul gear, pull the band trailer, is a convertible and can drive on the sandy beach areas of the NC outer banks. And it still gets about 20 to the gallon highway. It may not be Eco-friendly, or get the gas mileage of a Prius but this is the second one I've owned and wouldn't trade it for anything. It also has a winch to pull a stuck Prius out of the snow!

BTW, my bass player has the Ford transit and is quite happy with it.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

As far as small vans such as the Transit are concerned, one caveat...

I don't know what the situation is over in the US, but in the UK van drivers get hammered on insurance costs, as it's classed as a commercial vehicle. I wasn't aware of this when I made the jump and it was a nasty surprise to see my annual motor insurance jump from around 350UKP to just over a grand, I can tell you.

The trouble is, your years of no claims discount don't mean a thing with van insurers. After a couple of years with it, the premium is down to 670UKP but even so, it has made me wary about having another van. Sure, I can write it against the tax, but I'd much rather have the money.

Next time? I'm thinking used Toyota Avensis, probably the estate version, or even the Verso I had before. The Prius is a cool vehicle but even used prices on them are pretty ridiculous over here, and I believe there are question marks about how costly it would be to replace the battery cells on these hybrids when they finally go...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived