Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite cocktail pianists

mmartinez

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Red Garland Ahmad Jamal Hank Jones Bill Evans

Hmmmm.. Red Garland I'll buy.

But the other three? I don't think I would call any of them "cocktail." Even Bill Evan's solo piano stuff I wouldn't say was in a cocktail style, it's rather too dense for that. Jamal has a nice touch but still .... And Hank Jones tended to be either bluesy or latin-y with interesting harmonies if he wasn't doing straight jazz.

But if you've got some links or album/track references that might change my mind, I'd be glad to listen to them ;-)

People like Beegie Adair, Simon Schott. Who are your favorite cocktail pianists?

Please define what you mean by the term "cocktail pianist"

The little short ones you serve on toothpicks.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Classifying Red Garland, Ahmad Jamal, Hank Jones and Bill Evans as "cocktail pianists" is not correct. A "cocktail pianist" is a background musician, or "easy listening", one that is usually not taken very seriously. Example:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCEDvN0wMY

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I think we all recognize a "cocktail" style of piano playing. We all know what it sounds like. It's not straight jazz. It's certainly not experimental. It is its own style. Think the Chinese piano player in the movie "The Apartment." Mostly standard harmonies, secondary dominants, diminished passing chords, octave voicings in the right hand.

No need to be condescending timwat, this is what I mean by cocktail piano:

Simon Schott http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Simon+Schott

Jim Haskins http://www.cocktailpiano.com/

Van Craven http://www.amazon.com/Interludes-Van-Craven/dp/B000000BGS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372873871&sr=1-1&keywords=interludes+van

In a certain sense, it is simpler than straight jazz because it follows standard harmonizations of tunes and it doesn't make the attempt to get into jazz improvisation; but it is more complicated and satisfying to the ear than how a pop or classical pianist might attempt to play those tunes. I've always considered cocktail a bridge between the two camps, and cocktail piano is certainly its own genre.

So please rethink the question in this light, and provide some of your favorite cocktail pianists, if you have any.

Classifying Red Garland, Ahmad Jamal, Hank Jones and Bill Evans as "cocktail pianists" is not correct. A "cocktail pianist" is a background musician, or "easy listening", one that is usually not taken very seriously.

This is true, although a competent cocktail pianist actually has a well developed sense of harmony.

So please rethink the question in this light, and provide some of your favorite cocktail pianists, if you have any.

Doesn't the term "Cocktail Pianist" tend to imply that it's a guy playing in a cocktail lounge somewhere that no one has heard of outside of that venue? Like the guy that plays at Christmas next to the escalator in the mall?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Doesn't the term "Cocktail Pianist" tend to imply that it's a guy playing in a cocktail lounge somewhere that no one has heard of outside of that venue? Like the guy that plays at Christmas next to the escalator in the mall?

If you like the way they play and they have a CD, a website, mp3s available, by all means include them here.

I think we all recognize a "cocktail" style of piano playing. We all know what it sounds like. It's not straight jazz. It's certainly not experimental. It is its own style. Think the Chinese piano player in the movie "The Apartment." Mostly standard harmonies, secondary dominants, diminished passing chords, octave voicings in the right hand.

No need to be condescending timwat, this is what I mean by cocktail piano:

Michael,

I'm not sure what you interpreted in my comment as condescending, that was certainly not my intent. I'm genuinely NOT familiar with the term and was trying to understand what you meant. Short was the only guy I could think of, but he struck me as primarily a song stylist and entertainer. My apologies.

Tim

Michael,

I'm not sure what you interpreted in my comment as condescending, that was certainly not my intent.

No, I'm the one who apologizes. I misread your post. I thought it said "I don't think the OP knows what he means by cocktail pianist either."

Lol. That's what happens when you skim through sh*t too quickly

no need for you to apologize at all

How About Bernie Leighton.. he used to play at Jimmy Weston's 54th and Lex.. Woody Allen used him in his movies.

What is the context of this thread, why are you asking this... provide some more info please!!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The OP mentioned Beegie Adair, whom I had never heard of, and I agree she is very nice to listen to:

[video:youtube]

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

This is an interesting topic to me since I often play cocktail piano. Let's explore some of the good ones with YouTube links. The songs are so strong that a lot of improvisation and re-harmonization is not needed. I have been getting into The Beatles songs for cocktail piano, going beyond the American Somgbook not quite cocktail, more youthful, but should work: [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1m6l74nYjg

My cocktail piano repertoire also includes Lady Gaga, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, Pink and Katy Perry and most of the Top 10 pop hits.

I'm so glad to see Beegie Adair's name mentioned. I've been listening to her for years and whenever I bring her name up to my pianist friends, I get blank stares...

Yeah it's strange how not many people know of her

I would define cocktail piano as a style intended for 'easy listening', primarily as background/wallpaper music. Lots of songs can be given the 'cocktail' piano treatment, from all the standards of the GASB to soft rock songs and even classical music.

I have thought long and hard about the differences between great solo jazz piano and cocktail piano. I think that bad jazz piano can sound like bad cocktail piano.

I would characterize the cocktail style as:

-devoid of strong dynamic contrasts, usually humming along at a steady Forte or mezzo forte

-Somewhat uniform in texture

-heavy on harmonized octaves in the R.H.

-heavy on flowing L.H. arpeggiation

-devoid of bebop style lines

-devoid of straight ahead style improvisation (bebop, pentatonic and blues vocabulary)

-less harmonically complex than jazz in that:

1. notes are often doubled or tripled (helps w/ volume)

2. the use of quartal harmony is limited

3. the harmony is more akin to classical or romantic harmony

and, at it's best, it's also:

-virtuosic

-varying in texture a bit more than average

-clever in its treatment of melodies, and artistic with themes and medleys and key changes.

I think Liberace exhibited many of these advanced traits with his amazing treatments of songs. He was much more than a cocktail pianist (obviously) in that his work was much more showcasey, but as far as harmonic treatment and virtuosity go, I think he's a decent example of what the best in the genre can sound like.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

For some reason, Diana Krall is coming to mind. I think I of her and Harry Connick, Jr.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I would define cocktail piano as a style intended for 'easy listening', primarily as background/wallpaper music. Lots of songs can be given the 'cocktail' piano treatment, from all the standards of the GASB to soft rock songs and even classical music.

I have thought long and hard about the differences between great solo jazz piano and cocktail piano. I think that bad jazz piano can sound like bad cocktail piano.

I would characterize the cocktail style as:

-devoid of strong dynamic contrasts, usually humming along at a steady Forte or mezzo forte

-Somewhat uniform in texture

-heavy on harmonized octaves in the R.H.

-heavy on flowing L.H. arpeggiation

-devoid of bebop style lines

-devoid of straight ahead style improvisation (bebop, pentatonic and blues vocabulary)

-less harmonically complex than jazz in that:

1. notes are often doubled or tripled (helps w/ volume)

2. the use of quartal harmony is limited

3. the harmony is more akin to classical or romantic harmony

and, at it's best, it's also:

-virtuosic

-varying in texture a bit more than average

-clever in its treatment of melodies, and artistic with themes and medleys and key changes.

I think Liberace exhibited many of these advanced traits with his amazing treatments of songs. He was much more than a cocktail pianist (obviously) in that his work was much more showcasey, but as far as harmonic treatment and virtuosity go, I think he's a decent example of what the best in the genre can sound like.

I agree with your characterization of cocktail piano. However Liberace seems too showy and "classical" for cocktail. I have to admit, I haven't listened too much to his music. Any recommendations of his work?

Archived