Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

Yeah, he did fine at $400. But so did I. I bought the 330 off the floor at GC shortly after the 350 came out - paid $499 in Feb '10. 28 months of use for $99? What's that, like 11¢ a day? And I expensed the whole $499 on my taxes. Really, I'm cool with $400... In fact, with the tax write-off, he might have paid me to use it!

Excellent! I actually paid less than $500 for my PX-330 a couple of years back (I had a great deal)... so when I sold it, it was like actually being paid to own it those years!

Had it delivered to my local CG, so I'm paying the MI 6% sales tax. (also don't mind that as I'm very fond of roads and schools and parks and such and I hear that stuff ain't free)I prefer having keys shipped to the store. Let them deal with it if UPS busts it up and if I do have to return it, it's easy and FREE.

I agree with that. When I had to do return shipping and found out how much it costs to ship a keyboard across the country, that changed my pattern of doing mail order. Now (at least with big/heavy items) I go to GC because they'll price match.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Musicians Friend has the same 15% off deal. Free shipping and NO TAX!! I bought a PX-5S and a PX-350.

Wow a 5S and and 350! Also I noticed you have a two Korg Kronos'. You have WAY to many keyboards for a bass player. I will be over later to take one of those Korgs off your hand. You probably want to give me the 88 since you have 2 88s already, but I'm not picky! :D

Sold the Kronos 88 yesterday and the PC3K8 last week. Have a Kronos 61 that will be here tomorrow and using the PX-5S as a controller(which plays WAY better than the RH3 btw). The other PX-5S went to my church to replace a Kurz PC2X that I sold last week and the PX350 is going in the choir room to replace an old worn out upright.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Musicians Friend has the same 15% off deal. Free shipping and NO TAX!! I bought a PX-5S and a PX-350.

Wow a 5S and and 350! Also I noticed you have a two Korg Kronos'. You have WAY to many keyboards for a bass player. I will be over later to take one of those Korgs off your hand. You probably want to give me the 88 since you have 2 88s already, but I'm not picky! :D

Sold the Kronos 88 yesterday and the PC3K8 last week. Have a Kronos 61 that will be here tomorrow and using the PX-5S as a controller(which plays WAY better than the RH3 btw). The other PX-5S went to my church to replace a Kurz PC2X that I sold last week and the PX350 is going in the choir room to replace an old worn out upright.

Can't blame me for trying! :)

Can't blame me for trying! :)

If you had been just a little quicker I might have given you the Kronos 88, that's how much I hated the RH3!

If you had been just a little quicker I might have given you the Kronos 88, that's how much I hated the RH3!

Now I am in real pain. I lost out on a Kurzweil K250 last week and now this! Oh well, whatever doesn't kill me just makes me stranger. :)

... If you had been just a little quicker I might have given you the Kronos 88, that's how much I hated the RH3!

Are you serious? I've been playing piano all my life (since age 5) and the RH3 action is one of the finest actions I've ever played on any digital piano! But as I've always said, action is always a highly personal preference.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

... If you had been just a little quicker I might have given you the Kronos 88, that's how much I hated the RH3!

Are you serious? I've been playing piano all my life (since age 5) and the RH3 action is one of the finest actions I've ever played on any digital piano! But as I've always said, action is always a highly personal preference.

Yes I'm serious. If you look around at enough reviews you'll find quite a few that don't care for the RH3. I saw a post just yesterday that referred to it as "like playing a rubber chicken". The RH3 does play much better on the Kronos than it does on the SV1, but still there were so many times I would curse the Kronos 88, where with the PX-5S I play and I never think about the action. Using the PX-5S as a controller with the Kronos pianos is a much more pleasurable experience.

Yes I'm serious. If you look around at enough reviews you'll find quite a few that don't care for the RH3. I saw a post just yesterday that referred to it as "like playing a rubber chicken". The RH3 does play much better on the Kronos than it does on the SV1, but still there were so many times I would curse the Kronos 88, where with the PX-5S I play and I never think about the action. Using the PX-5S as a controller with the Kronos pianos is a much more pleasurable experience.

You can always find reviews to favor whatever you're looking for, be it negative or positive. Personally, RH3 is one of my favorite actions... and I'm using it on the Kronos 88. This is the regular Kronos, not the newer Kronos-X (not sure if they have a different RH3 version in each one of those units or not). Privia PX-350 and PX-5S (same action) is a close 2nd for me, but rapidly becoming tied with RH3 only because I use them so much (I use the 350 for gigs, but I'm having way too much fun exploring the PX-5S to take it out of the studio for now). Also have a Nord Stage 2, which is a Fatar action and too lite for my preferences. As far as I'm concerned, RH3 and Privia are my favorites at this point. Never liked Roland's action until you get into their much more expensive models (ie: V-Piano)... not sure what happened to Yamaha since their P-120 series (which was excellent), but their newer stuff doesn't thrill me. I play a lot of acoustic pianos too (preferred because I don't have to bring anything with me), so that may have something to do with my preferences.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Have a Kronos 61 that will be here tomorrow and using the PX-5S as a controller

You are in good company with this set-up. Industry legend Jerry Kovarsky uses that same rig. :)

Yeah, this rig just makes so much sense. Either board can be used as a portable standalone as they each weigh well under 30 lbs. Together they make a great portable 2 board setup with both a great 88 weighted a great 61 synth action.

Have a Kronos 61 that will be here tomorrow and using the PX-5S as a controller

You are in good company with this set-up. Industry legend Jerry Kovarsky uses that same rig. :)

LOL, I put together my Invisible stand just like the rest of you, one leg at a time. No need to put me on such a pedestal!

:blush:

It's a great rig combination!

Jerry

I'm LOVIN' my PX5s! It sounds GREAT on the gig, even in mono, and paired with my Electro 3 it's as close to my dream rig as I want it to be. I've hit one wrinkle....2 weeks ago I started taking piano lessons and one of the pieces I'm working on is Linus and Lucy...I'm CRAWLING thru that sucker right now, trying to get my coordination together and started noticing that when I come off the Ab part in the left hand and go to the pattern that starts on "B" that somewhere in the f# and g# in that pattern I'm getting an audible click intermittantly when I play those notes. It's mechanical, not in the audio output of the Casio, and it's fairly loud, but the keys seem to function fine. It dosen't happen all the time and I can't figure out what causes it when it DOES happen. It also occured to me that I may NEVER have discovered it if I hadn't started trying to play this particular piece ;-). Gotta say though....I REALLY love the piano sound in this thing! I know it does a lot of other stuff but it's hard for me to get to the other sounds, as I'm stuck on that AP....

Great to see these last 3 or 4 posts. Was notified today that mine was shipping. Should have it by the end of this coming week. If you had told me even 5 years ago that I'd be getting all excited over the delivery of a Casio keyboard I'd have said you were nuts. Color me psyched.

I'm working on is Linus and Lucy...I'm CRAWLING thru that sucker right now, trying to get my coordination together and started noticing that when I come off the Ab part in the left hand and go to the pattern that starts on "B" that somewhere in the f# and g# in that pattern I'm getting an audible click intermittantly when I play those notes. It's mechanical, not in the audio output of the Casio, and it's fairly loud, but the keys seem to function fine. It dosen't happen all the time and I can't figure out what causes it when it DOES happen.

Great song for piano! Vince Guaraldi is one of my favorite pianist / composers! I just check all the notes by doing some runs with the sound off; I don't get anything other than the normal sound of the action. You may want to ask Mike Martin about that.

And Pa: You must be so excited! Congrats, you will love this instrument.

If you guys don't know already, there are two off-site resources where you can ask questions and meet other PX-5S owners:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/forum/25-privia-pro-px-5s/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

Keep on playing! :cool:

Don't laugh but... I just ordered a brand new PX-3s from Musician's Friend for $499 ($300 off the street price!) While I love the functionality and sounds of the PX-5s, the action and my hands just don't get along. I noticed that the moment I sat down at a PX-350 at GC, but I thought I'd get used to it. I didn't. I'm a wimp, dealing with the onset of arthritis. (Getting old sucks! Don't do it!)

"They" say the action of the PX-3s does not exhibit as much resistance as the new improved action in the PX-5s. If "they" are wrong, someone please let me know so I can cancel the order. I did play a used Casio PX-something at GC and loved the action. (It was silver and black - whatever that means.) I'm used to the Roland FP-2 action, which has been deemed too light by many serious pianists. It was a tough call, especially considering that the PX-3s does not give you a way to control the volume of the bass and piano separately, other than programming volumes into a stage registration (the volume knob is global) but I'd rather deal with that than fighting the action all night.

I've got a "real" piano player coming over on Sunday to check out the PX-5s for possible purchase. She wants it for the same reason I got it - the ability to pan bass to one output and piano to the other. If the sale doesn't go through, and if anyone near Tucson AZ wants one, send me a PM.

I will now slink away in shame.

Don't laugh but... I just ordered a brand new PX-3s from Musician's Friend for $499 ($300 off the street price!) While I love the functionality and sounds of the PX-5s, the action and my hands just don't get along. I noticed that the moment I sat down at a PX-350 at GC, but I thought I'd get used to it. I didn't. I'm a wimp, dealing with the onset of arthritis. (Getting old sucks! Don't do it!)

I don't think anyone is going to fault you for getting what suits your needs best. I have some RTS issues, which is why I like the arpeggiators on the PX-5S. :) If my hands continue to deteriorate, I am going to switch to DJing.

http://www.afghanforums.com/images/smilies/users1/dj.gif

"They" say the action of the PX-3s does not exhibit as much resistance as the new improved action in the PX-5s. If "they" are wrong, someone please let me know so I can cancel the order. I did play a used Casio PX-something at GC and loved the action. (It was silver and black - whatever that means.) I'm used to the Roland FP-2 action, which has been deemed too light by many serious pianists. It was a tough call, especially considering that the PX-3s does not give you a way to control the volume of the bass and piano separately, other than programming volumes into a stage registration (the volume knob is global) but I'd rather deal with that than fighting the action all night.

I've got a "real" piano player coming over on Sunday to check out the PX-5s for possible purchase. She wants it for the same reason I got it - the ability to pan bass to one output and piano to the other. If the sale doesn't go through, and if anyone near Tucson AZ wants one, send me a PM.

I will now slink away in shame.

Everyone's hands are different, obviously, but I am a bit surprised at your experience. The PX-5s action is easier on my hands than the PX-3, especially if I adjust the velocity curve to a lighter touch. My fingers tend to get hung up on normal plastic keys while the textured keys of the newer Casios is more 'slippery'. I can fly around the keys on the new action, the PX3 I felt more limited and held back.

I have really bad pain in my hands from years of abuse and I guess even age at this point.

I encourage you to try the PX-5S at different velocity settings before getting rid of it. If you've done that already...nevermind...I suppose no action is for everybody.

P.S.

Seems you got a good deal on the PX3 regardless, it's a good instrument.

Oh Crap! Further research indicates that the PX-3s also has relatively firm action. It's the pre-PX-3 Casios that had the looser action. Back to square one.

There really aren't many light weight 88's with the ability to pan bass to one output and piano to the other. While the Nords supposedly have lighter action, they don't do that - or at least I couldn't find it in the manual. The Roland Rd-300nx can pan sounds L and R, but the only review of the action I could find said it leans towards sluggish. Any suggestions?

...I encourage you to try the PX-5S at different velocity settings before getting rid of it. If you've done that already...nevermind...I suppose no action is for everybody....

Yeah, I tried all 3 settings and use the one for light touch. I've got an ancient Korg SP100 in my studio that's comfortable to play. I believe it's got the Fatar action, but it doesn't do splits.

Oh Crap! Further research indicates that the PX-3s also has relatively firm action. It's the pre-PX-3 Casios that had the looser action. Back to square one.

There really aren't many light weight 88's with the ability to pan bass to one output and piano to the other. While the Nords supposedly have lighter action, they don't do that - or at least I couldn't find it in the manual. The Roland Rd-300nx can pan sounds L and R, but the only review of the action I could find said it leans towards sluggish. Any suggestions?

Give the 3 a chance..I piked one up last week, tried it and the 5 side by side n thought the 3 was lighter.

Give the 3 a chance..I piked one up last week, tried it and the 5 side by side n thought the 3 was lighter.

All we are saying, is give 3s a chance. :)

...All we are saying, is give 3s a chance. :)

Right arm, bro!

If anyone knows which Casio models use the PX-3 action, please post. I might be able to find one locally to try out.

I'd love to give the PX-3s a chance if it's even slightly easier to play than the 5 - mainly because I can't find an alternative with the features I need without spending $4k. Paying for return shipping on the 3 would suck, but in the big scheme of things, it's more important to get the right keyboard than save a few bucks.

Archived