Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have made a list of all the initial stage settings. I mark the names of the ones I don't want to keep, that way I know what slots are OK to upload new stage settings to.

You can print it or just copy and paste into a text editor to keep track of what's in your PX-5S.

Here's the link to the text file: http://txtup.net/E6wj6

Also, you can move the cursor to the name field on that same screen to rename the patch before saving. That was going to be your next question!

Nostradamus,dat you? Astounding perspicacity. Thanks.

WMP,congrats. Unless I miss my guess,you're going to really like this thing. I love mine.

HI - not sure if this was covered anywhere but is anyone having issues with the main piano sample on the B natural above middle C? Is there a fix for that note? I am on V1.0. That particular note sounds wrong - like only the highest velocity sample plays, velocity volume is ok. It seems to only be this sample set, the Wurlies do not exhibit this behavior.

Moon Zero Two,

Is there any reason you haven't updated the firmware? While I'm not aware of a specific bug, this seems highly unusual. I'd highly recommend that you save any custom Stage Settings you have (individually), install the firmware update and do an "Initialize all".

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

HI - not sure if this was covered anywhere but is anyone having issues with the main piano sample on the B natural above middle C? Is there a fix for that note? I am on V1.0. That particular note sounds wrong - like only the highest velocity sample plays, velocity volume is ok. It seems to only be this sample set, the Wurlies do not exhibit this behavior.

Hi MZT. I played the note in question at several different velocity levels with SS 0-0 Concert Grand. I got the normal change in timbre and volume. I tried it with a few different piano stage settings as well as basic tones just to be sure, but didn't notice anything off.

WMP,congrats. Unless I miss my guess,you're going to really like this thing. I love mine.

Thanks, PG. You are correct, sir. Totally digging it. The graded action feels great. I like the textured keys a lot too. I managed to get around it pretty well with just a scan of the quick start manual. I already liked it carrying it down the hall under one arm. This by itself with a QSC K8 will be the lightest gig rig I've ever had. :thu:

And thanks, Mike! That was fast! I watched some of your demo vids and started to check out those links you sent me.

--wmp

Got to try mine out a bit last night at a sound check. Everyone was impressed with the sound including me! Think I'm gonna like this board!

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae254/jcazzy_2009/Casio_PX5s_photo_zpsd078af8c.jpg

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

Got to try mine out a bit last night at a sound check. Everyone was impressed with the sound including me! Think I'm gonna like this board!

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae254/jcazzy_2009/Casio_PX5s_photo_zpsd078af8c.jpg

We will have an identical setup once I get my PX-5S :)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I thought the same thing when I saw that you're fixing to pull the trigger to get one. I believe you will really enjoy the sound and feel of the Privia.

Thought about putting the Casio on the bottom but I'm so used to the piano being on top. That comes from the Hammond organ/Fender Rhodes piano days of old. Which configuration will you use?

John Cassetty

I thought the same thing when I saw that you're fixing to pull the trigger to get one. I believe you will really enjoy the sound and feel of the Privia.

Thought about putting the Casio on the bottom but I'm so used to the piano being on top. That comes from the Hammond organ/Fender Rhodes piano days of old. Which configuration will you use?

Oh yeah.. used to gig with a Hammond Model M chop with a Korg Wavestation on top for piano several years ago(didn't play much piano then, hence the choice of DP)..

My normal setup over the years has always been clone on top, piano on bottom. I feel most comfortable with the piano on the bottom. My On-Stage Z-stand unfortunately brings issue with that config. The top tier is staggered too far back, making the rig tip-prone with the heavier CX3 on top and the 5 lbs lighter MOX8 on the bottom. It looks to be worse with the PX-5S.. will have to use my X-stand for setup with the Casio.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Oh yeah.. used to gig with a Hammond Model M chop with a Korg Wavestation on top for piano several years ago(didn't play much piano then, hence the choice of DP)..

My normal setup over the years has always been clone on top, piano on bottom. I feel most comfortable with the piano on the bottom. My On-Stage Z-stand unfortunately brings issue with that config. The top tier is staggered too far back, making the rig tip-prone with the heavier CX3 on top and the 5 lbs lighter MOX8 on the bottom. It looks to be worse with the PX-5S.. will have to use my X-stand for setup with the Casio.

I use an On-Stage double X-stand that would support the clone on top and the piano on bottom and probably should use it that way, as most everyone I've seen does it that way. Just off the top of my head, we probably do more songs where I play piano than the organ. One thing I like in my current configuration is the ability to put the Vent on the CX-3 which puts it out of the way. (I made a dual footswitch for it that I use. Saved a few bucks in the process) Also thought about the tipping problem though it shouldn't happen. I guess we could always hang a couple of 5-pound sandbags on the front part of the stand to help out! :crazy:

John Cassetty

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in this thread but it's 46 pages (!) long and understandably mostly focuses on sound and technical aspects.

To anyone who owns this: can this keyboard, when placed in a padded or hard case, fit in the trunk or back seat of a standard sized sedan?

This is a reason why I have shunned 88-key boards; I unfortunately can not fit them in my car to rehearsals or gigs.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

It can fit in the back of a Acura RSX or Integra with the rear seat folded down, if that helps.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In Casio's gig bag it fits in my back seat (Saab 9-3). Hard case, I definitely not. I put my seats down and put it through the truck.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in this thread but it's 46 pages (!) long and understandably mostly focuses on sound and technical aspects.

To anyone who owns this: can this keyboard, when placed in a padded or hard case, fit in the trunk or back seat of a standard sized sedan?

This is a reason why I have shunned 88-key boards; I unfortunately can not fit them in my car to rehearsals or gigs.

These are the dimensions:

52.05" x 11.26" x 5.31"

It's tight, but it fits across the back seat of my Hyundai Elantra. However it's so light that it's very easy to angle it in the front passenger area with one end on the floor, and the keyboard in front of the seat. That's how I usually move it. I can even strap it in :cool:

Too bad it doesn't help with legally using the carpool lane. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Question on USB drives. The PX5 manual says not to use a drive that has a security function. I have 4GB SanDisk USB drive from Radio Shack that can use "Secure Access Software". If this is a new unused drive,can it be used with the PX5s? I haven't done anything to engage the security software.

Question on USB drives. The PX5 manual says not to use a drive that has a security function. I have 4GB SanDisk USB drive from Radio Shack that can use "Secure Access Software". If this is a new unused drive,can it be used with the PX5s? I haven't done anything to engage the security software.

I think SanDisk preloads some software on all of their new USB drives. I would delete everything on the stick first then either format it in Windows using FAT32 or use the on-board quick format function of the PX-5s.

John Cassetty

Seriously thinking about replacing my kurzweil pc2x with the px5s.

I would Gain synth sounds, a useable computer editor interface. A thumb drive for playback and shed half the weight.

I use the kurz mainly as meat and potatoes bottom board but do use splits and layers for strings, pad, and brass. Everything I read about this board makes me believe it would be a good replacement and even an upgrade.

I play mainly classic rock, but do the occasional wedding gig which includes ceremony music and dance music for the reception.

Does anyone know How do the string patches hold up against the kurzweil?

Do you think I would miss anything?

Thanks,

Steve

Archived