Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

That was a big help Mike - thanks :)

I think the most important lesson I got out of it was that when editing, there are parts of some screens that can only be accessed with the arrow buttons. I was doing parameter editing by twirling the knobs, and I was missing some stuff.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is what Joe was supposed to do, instead he asked a hard question. :freak:
http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/smileys/laughing.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It is already posted on Youtube:

Thank you, I just watched the vid in full length and that was very informative and great to understand.

Kudos to Mike Martin, excellent presention and explanations, not only in this video !

A.C.

That was a big help Mike - thanks :)

I think the most important lesson I got out of it was that when editing, there are parts of some screens that can only be accessed with the arrow buttons. I was doing parameter editing by twirling the knobs, and I was missing some stuff.

To clarify, when in the editing screens -

Knob1 scrolls up and down through the list of parameters. This is the same as using the cursor up and down buttons. The cursor left and right <> buttons allows you to skip through by pages.

Knob2 is parameter values. The same as pressing the +/- buttons but obviously much faster.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Knob1 scrolls up and down through the list of parameters. This is the same as using the cursor up and down buttons.

Sometimes, sometimes not ;) You demonstrated one time when the only way to access a very important parameter on a screen (naming a Stage setup) is to use the cursor down button. Knob 1 won't access it. I was the guy who thanked you in the chat window because I couldn't figure out how to do it. It was driving me nuts. I was just about to ask you that question, but you beat me to it in the demonstration :)

The other cool trick I learned from you yesterday was that the left/right cursors will flip through the pages on the edit screen. I hadn't picked up on that either because I was only using the knobs.

Yes, when in the arpeggiator edit section, the knobs function differently.

What I said above is true for Editing tones or Stage Settings.

When I'm editing, usually my left hand is on Knob2, then I use the cursor keys, up/down and < > to move through parameters.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Darn Sam Ash...they finally got one in and out on the floor, then there's no power adapter in sight. No audio cables to hook up to a tiny Roland keyboard amp next to it (which I'm sure would have brought out the best it could offer :P) I forgot my phones but I wasn't seriously looking.

So no salesperson in sight I didn't get to turn it on. I did get to whack on the keys a bit, they felt nice, pretty light action. (Oddly, as an aside I usually love the s90xs action but when I played it today it felt super-heavy...weird...)

I have to say I'm not a big fan of that super-bright white, I liked it less in person than I did in pics. Granted I wouldn't be playing it in a brightly-lit music store, but overall it kind of gave me a "nerf gun plastic" vibe (there are too many of those darn things around my house). This one already had some grunge on it and it really showed (think dirt on a white car). Next to it were other digital pianos in "standard silver" and "boring black", and this one stood out and not in a good way. Just IMO, not trying to be negative, just one potential customer giving some feedback. (I still might get one when I'm ready to buy, appearance is pretty low on my list of requirements!)

there's no power adapter in sight.
In case this happens again and you have a chance to listen (say, you brought headphones), you could grab the power adapter from any other recent Privia they might have on the floor. Perhaps from the one those kids are noisily banging on over there... ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sure, the one in Orlando on East Colonial (SR 50).

To be fair I could have gone up to the counter and asked one of them to bring someone over to help. It's very near work so I knew I'd be back often and am not looking to buy right now.

They are nice folks there, but all too often the keyboard gear doesn't have power, doesn't have audio hooked up or both. When a keyboard *does* work, you usually only hear it from one speaker or from a cheap amp. They really don't help themselves sell gear IMO, and in that regard unfortunately they are not alone based on other stores in this area.

They have the P5-5S out in the front area with the digital pianos, and not in the back keyboard area. (It appears to have taken the place of the Roland RD64, which was moved to the back keyboard area :))

One thing I didn't mention--mainly because it's no fault of anyone other than whoever did it, certainly no reflection on the board!--there's already a small but deep dent in the front of their display model. That is a shame, unless it means I get it for cheap! :) j/k it is a shame, I take great care of my gear and that stuff bothers me. (Guitars are worse due to how they hang them...)

I was tempted to grab the power from the Privia next to it, but I didn't want to risk damaging it if the power requirements were different.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of that super-bright white, I liked it less in person than I did in pics. Granted I wouldn't be playing it in a brightly-lit music store, but overall it kind of gave me a "nerf gun plastic" vibe (there are too many of those darn things around my house). This one already had some grunge on it and it really showed (think dirt on a white car). Next to it were other digital pianos in "standard silver" and "boring black", and this one stood out and not in a good way. Just IMO, not trying to be negative, just one potential customer giving some feedback. (I still might get one when I'm ready to buy, appearance is pretty low on my list of requirements!)

On the plus side of that white plastic... especially on stage, the lettering is all black making it super easy to read (like reading a newspaper or book - black letters on white pages). All jacks/plugs on the back are also labeled on the TOP of the board as well, eliminating the need to physically walk to the back of the board to plug anything in.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Meanwhile, I need to get creative for tonight's gig and replace the duct tape clutter on the volume knob with a nice thin line made from electric white tape...

Blue glow tape matches the 5S, too. :)

http://www.adafruit.com/adablog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/eltapeblue1cm_LRG.jpg

I did think of the white electrical tape. But the glow in the dark. Hmmmm is right. If it wouldn't drain the batteries so bad a backlit knob would be cool. Similar to some of the buttons. Also the Privia logo in the blue strip should light up. But there goes the batteries with all that.

Here's another way to go:

Got this little set-up for Father's Day. The cable holder is great for keeping the USB and audio cables at the ready and provides a nice clamp point for the light. You can add a little colored gel if you need to tame the light down a little.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/35n0npg.jpg

Despite the fact that I love my StudioLogic controller--as old as it is the keys are in great shape and the action is nice--I'm not sold on using an ipad or any of the modules out there. I'd love an Integra 7 or whatever that Roland one is called but for that money I'd prefer a board. I don't like having one sound source (currently I'm driving a Kurzweil pc361 from it in Setup mode). I do like having a weighted board. So long story short this is on a short list of interest for me as a lower board under my pc361 for live use. As far as actual weight, anything under 50 lbs is ok, less is better :)

I'd be curious as to anyone's opinions on how the sounds and action and anything else stack up to a few competitors that are also on my radar and about the same price or less. The Kurz can do any synths I'd need so that's not a requirement of any of these, same for organ. Piano, EP and the occasional pad or strings are the needs.

Roland rd700gx (used) - I've only tried the newer rd700nx, I liked it but it's $$$. The rd64 might be a possibility but it's *too* limited and there seemed to be some big "velocity jumps" with it when I played it. I'd have to give it another more serious listen.

Yamaha mox8 (used) - I wish the chassis was smaller, sounds are nice and I could get used to the action I think.

Yamaha cp33 (used) - cheapest option, haven't seen one to try it. I figure the piano would be fine but not sure about any other sounds. Also don't know if it's a heavy action (bad for me) or light.

Yamaha s70xs (used) - I put this here just to be able to rag on it really. It's a great board but it's too darn big. A 73/76 note weighted option is ideal for what I play but this thing manages to be as big as most 88s. And the screen would require my reading glasses.

Kawai mp6 (used if I could find one) - Pretty much an unknown, on paper it appears good, maybe a bit heavy.

Obviously weight advantage (lack thereof) goes to the Casio over all these.

In the other thread I mentioned I didn't like the white, partly it's how it looks with the texture (ie not metal I guess is my beef) and partly because I think it will get dirty very easily. So looks-wise all those others have the nod, but it's my lowest priority to be fair.

By the way, Mike you must have called the Sam Ash in Orlando because when I went back in there they had it hooked up LOL! Unfortunately the amp is a tiny Roland keys amp, yuck. For myself I've heard enough of the sounds on videos and through headphones to know the sounds would certainly work for me, I just think the store should have it hooked up to something better than that dinky thing.

Roland rd700gx (used) - I've only tried the newer rd700nx, I liked it but it's $$$. The rd64 might be a possibility but it's *too* limited and there seemed to be some big "velocity jumps" with it when I played it. I'd have to give it another more serious listen.

The dark/warm Roland piano sound can be a little problematic if you play in a band. The RD-64 counters this with an enhancer that makes the acoustic piano sound much punchier. Also, the default setting is with the damper resonance switched off, as it tends to make the sound rather ill-defined on that model. IMO, the RD-64's AP sound is quite nice, the Rhodes is usable, the Wurli passable, and the organ - in a pinch. The action takes a little getting used to, but I found that it could be controlled quite well, although it has its limitations. The older 700GX (around 55lbs) can sound just a bit wooly, although you should be able to find a copy of the SN upgrade card, if it doesn't already have this.

Yamaha mox8 (used) - I wish the chassis was smaller, sounds are nice and I could get used to the action I think.

The action is the same as in the P-105 etc., and is a little lighter than Yamahas more upmarket offerings. As usual, the interface is less than intuitive.

Yamaha cp33 (used) - cheapest option, haven't seen one to try it. I figure the piano would be fine but not sure about any other sounds. Also don't know if it's a heavy action (bad for me) or light.

This uses the GH action, which feels a little heavy to most people, although is definitely a step up from the MOX's GHS. Non-AP sounds are regarded as adequate rather than stunning...

Kawai mp6 (used if I could find one) - Pretty much an unknown, on paper it appears good, maybe a bit heavy.

This is a very good DP (47lbs) with lots of additional sounds ranging from very good (EPs, for example) to mediocre. Lots of functionality and MIDI control, and well built.

Rick - the only thing I can add to Vox's thorough rundown is the fact that a new PX-5S comes with a 3 year warranty... The local service center is on Mills in Orlando.

I don't anticipate needing to use it, but it's nice having that peace-of-mind and a service center so close.

Yes indeed. Thanks for the comparisons. To be honest I should be very happy with the kurz midi-ed up...it makes for a much easier stage setup and it sounds great. I just don't like having the one sound source (in case of a problem) plus I prefer to leave the pc361 in Program mode and not Setup (the Multi mode).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived