Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

Well, GC made me a deal I couldn't refuse - $150 discount, Father's Day sale. Didn't mind taking the floor model, but they don't keep boxes or owners manuals (?!?!) . So, keyboard/power supply/sus.pedal - am I missing anything besides the manual(s) ? I already have PDFs of the manuals, but it would be nice to get into programming it with a book on your lap.

I have a gig tomorrow night, but I am gonna aim for Saturday to set it up for that gig - then it will be time to ease out my PX3. I'll start researching here (and Casio's sites/forums) for cases, updates, patches. If anyone could point me towards suggestions in these areas, I thank you in advance,

Thanks to Mike Martin and this forum in general for help and info in making this purchase.

Dan

Congratulations on your purchase! You don't need the hardcopy manuals at all - they just basically explain how to maneuver your way around, but they really don't explain how to do anything much more than that. If you already have PDF's of the manuals, that's all you need. Read through those (should take about an hour or so) and you'll know how to maneuver.

You can learn a lot more by watching the display as you play with the knobs and sliders... that alone will teach you a lot more than the manual ever will!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, ChiefDanG! I don't think there was anything else in the box that you're missing.

I'm starting to work on my own piano settings, using Mike Martin's revised Grand Piano as the starting point. There's so much potential for adjustment here.

You need to register on the forum to be able to download the patches. That seems to be the best starting point for this board.

I'm pretty sure you have everything except the docs.

Since it was a floor model, I'd install the 1.1 firmware update and do the reset afterward as well. Then you'd have the stock unit to start with, and can either tweak that or start loading the new Stage Settings available. I would do this even if it says 1.1 is already in there.

The link to download the firmware update and instructions how to do it are here.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, GC made me a deal I couldn't refuse - $150 discount, Father's Day sale. Didn't mind taking the floor model, but they don't keep boxes or owners manuals (?!?!) . So, keyboard/power supply/sus.pedal - am I missing anything besides the manual(s) ? I already have PDFs of the manuals, but it would be nice to get into programming it with a book on your lap.

I have a gig tomorrow night, but I am gonna aim for Saturday to set it up for that gig - then it will be time to ease out my PX3. I'll start researching here (and Casio's sites/forums) for cases, updates, patches. If anyone could point me towards suggestions in these areas, I thank you in advance,

Thanks to Mike Martin and this forum in general for help and info in making this purchase.

Dan

Congrats on the great deal!

It looks like the manual is the only thing missing. The PX-5S comes with one printed manual and it's the basic one. The other ones (tutorials, MIDI, DataEditor) are the only on PDF.

(What I plan on doing is taking the PDF's of both manuals, the Data Editor guide and the Midi charts down to Kinkos and having them printed and professionally bound.)

Have you joined the PX-5S Facebook group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

Lot's of helpful people there! :)

Congrats again and welcome to The Family! :cool:

Just for fun & games, I put together a video that basically compares the similarities & differences between the PX-5S and its predecessor, the PX-350:

Hopefully this should be useful to some of you.

You called them "keybeds." :eek:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just for fun & games, I put together a video that basically compares the similarities & differences between the PX-5S and its predecessor, the PX-350:

Hopefully this should be useful to some of you.

Yes - I use the term "keybeds" to refer to the action of an instrument as opposed to "keyboards" which refer to the entire instrument as a whole. Both the 350 and 5S have the same identical keybed... but they're both two completely different keyboards!

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Congrats on a great deal Dan! Editing the Stage Settings may be easier for you if you download & install the Editor program on your computer and use it first. IMO, it's easier to understand the topology of the Settings than trying it with the buttons since it's all laid out there for you. The PX-5S must be connected with a USB cable first.

I like regular piano style damper pedals better than the one provided as well.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

KEYBED:

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/piano04.jpg

:rimshot:

Love it!!!! If I'm ever in the hospital, or bedridden, I NEED one of those!

I'm sure Steven (Nomadness) could design a such rig to for a DP. :)

Chuck, you seemed to be asking or unsure in the video about the differences between the pianos in the 350 vs. the 5S. Here's Mike Martin's explanation. It helped me.

While the PX-350 and PX-5S do have the [same] piano sample, they don't have the same "piano sound". The PX-5S has a different effects engine which sonically is a different league. This is a 4 band EQ which the PX-350 does not have. The PX-5S can reproduce sympathetic resonance and lid simulation effects which the PX-350 can not. It also has release velocity which changes the legato, staccato response of the sound. So while the starting point is the same, what the PX-5S does with it is different.

As far as "keybeds," here's an explanation from another thread.

So are we going to be stuck with sloppy keybeds...

Doooooood! Calling actions keybeds is part of the problem. Parts of pianos and organs have had names for centuries. A keybed is the part of the piano case upon which the action sits. If you want to know how your keybed feels, you have to hit it with your knees from below.

I know. Folks call actions keybeds all the time. Please stop. It harshes my buzz. Thanks.

I'm just trying to save you from the wrath of Wayne. :D

Fatar, who makes the actions for many brands, calls them keybeds. Shame on them.

The problem is we'd like a word for how it feels and a different one for the mechanical assembly that contains the keys.

However, I do not want to risk the wrath of Wayne! :wave:

wrath of Wayne!

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/wrathofwayne.jpeg

If you mean "waves" as in "wave file" its a pre-recorded version of whatever it was meant to be. "Tone" is Casio's term for (there's so many...) patches, voices (etc ... they all mean the same thing).

In the 2a manual Reference section, they break down all the different sound elements. They list Tones and Waves in separate sections. Looking at them, it looks like Waves are (or can be) a more basic elements of a Tone.

Just trying to figure out the workflow

Does it go Waves make Tones, and Tones make Hex Layers?

Or are Waves and Tones both able to make up a Hex Layer?

Short answer: Tones go into the tone slots, and waves go into the hex layers.

Longer answer: Tones are presets, but they allow you some limited custom editing. They are already filtered, enveloped, etc. and are ready to play as they are.

Waves are the raw waveforms that you start with if you like to roll up your sleeves and really get into the sound design of the instrument. You can only access them in hex layers.

Someone mentioned that you don't need the manual for this keyboard. I disagree, and I've been custom programming my romplers for years.

Download both manuals and either put them on a tablet or print them off and stuff them in binders. Then take them to the bathroom with you for a few weeks ;)

Short answer: Tones go into the tone slots, and waves go into the hex layers.

Longer answer: Tones are presets, but they allow you some limited custom editing. They are already filtered, enveloped, etc. and are ready to play as they are.

Waves are the raw waveforms that you start with if you like to roll up your sleeves and really get into the sound design of the instrument. You can only access them in hex layers.

Someone mentioned that you don't need the manual for this keyboard. I disagree, and I've been custom programming my romplers for years.

Download both manuals and either put them on a tablet or print them off and stuff them in binders. Then take them to the bathroom with you for a few weeks ;)

Thanks, Bill. That helps a lot!

I have the manuals and am heading to Kinkos this week to have them printed and bound. Will replace my Sweetwater catalog in the WC for a few weeks! :)

Father's day promotions worked on me too. GC $150 off. That, and I mentioned I was thinking of upgrading to a bass player pal o' mine who offered $400 for my PX-330. So 30 bucks a month for the next 12 interest-free. How could I NOT buy this thing? (At least that's gonna be my line to She Who Must Be Obeyed when it shows up Friday.)

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Father's day promotions worked on me too. GC $150 off. That, and I mentioned I was thinking of upgrading to a bass player pal o' mine who offered $400 for my PX-330. So 30 bucks a month for the next 12 interest-free. How could I NOT buy this thing? (At least that's gonna be my line to She Who Must Be Obeyed when it shows up Friday.)

Your bass player friend got the deal of the year - $400 for a PX-330!!! When I got my PX-5S, I listed my PX-330 on Craigslist for $500 - it sold in under 2 hours! Now if I can only find someone local to by my Nord Stage 2 life would be good! Turns out the Privia's do well (both price and time-wise) when it comes to selling them 2nd hand.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

I paid $827 dollars for mine through MF, and the guy waived sales tax too - even though I normally pay it on a MF order.

I didn't dicker or anything. It was at the end of the Memorial Day sale and I think maybe he was trying to fill a quota or something.

Anyway that's a great deal. Be sure to call in you guys rather than place the order online.

Musicians Friend has the same 15% off deal. Free shipping and NO TAX!! I bought a PX-5S and a PX-350.

Excellent choices! I have both of those, and the PX-5S was actually the catalyst that tipped the scales in my decision to sell my Nord Stage 2.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Yeah, he did fine at $400. But so did I. I bought the 330 off the floor at GC shortly after the 350 came out - paid $499 in Feb '10. 28 months of use for $99? What's that, like 11¢ a day? And I expensed the whole $499 on my taxes. Really, I'm cool with $400... In fact, with the tax write-off, he might have paid me to use it!

Had it delivered to my local CG, so I'm paying the MI 6% sales tax. (also don't mind that as I'm very fond of roads and schools and parks and such and I hear that stuff ain't free)I prefer having keys shipped to the store. Let them deal with it if UPS busts it up and if I do have to return it, it's easy and FREE.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Musicians Friend has the same 15% off deal. Free shipping and NO TAX!! I bought a PX-5S and a PX-350.

Wow a 5S and and 350! Also I noticed you have a two Korg Kronos'. You have WAY to many keyboards for a bass player. I will be over later to take one of those Korgs off your hand. You probably want to give me the 88 since you have 2 88s already, but I'm not picky! :D

You guys are seriously wearing me down. I can't find one closer than 8 hours away to play however.

I did play the PX-350 locally and liked the action a lot.

This is the first keyboard I've ever purchased without auditioning it first - and it was by necessity since like you there's none anywhere around me. It was a leap of faith, but I'm very happy with my decision.

I think a lot of others are doing the same thing.

Can't say that you should do it this way but it's really worked out for me. I had a very specific need for it however. I've needed a highly portable digital piano with decent auxiliary sounds for quite awhile. There's no Nord Stage hanging out around here for the likes of me :P Kinda out of my price range.

Archived