Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Chuck what happened to those videos you made where you went all through the sound banks they seem to of disappeared????

I wanted to watch the organ ones again

It was discovered that the audio track on those videos came out in mono instead of stereo. Problem was tracked down to a malfunctioning audio interface, which was immediately replaced. As a result, I took down all those vids as they're not a true representation of the sounds.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Ironically, if that mono was what you'd get from a mono out from the casio, I'd be more interested in how that sounds :) We go mono live and many's the time a wonderful stereo sound sounds like **** put into mono...I've read there's a good mono piano patch on this board though and that would be the main thing I'd need.

That aside, thanks for putting up the videos, they are much appreciated.

I've read there's a good mono piano patch on this board though and that would be the main thing I'd need.

There is. It responds well to the on board EQ. In fact, the EQ on this board works great on all the acoustic and electric pianos for some pretty extreme but musical tone shaping.

Moe

---

Great job, Chuck. Sound quality is much improved! Thanks for taking the time to produce and post these.

Yeah - when the audio interface is working correctly, the sound is phenomenal! I didn't realize there was a problem with the older interface until after the fact. What a difference!! The true sound quality of this board is definitely revealed in these new videos. Enjoy!

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Does the PX-5s have adjustable velocity curves when acting as a midi controller?

I was recently using a Nord Stage (classic) to control the new piano patches in my Nord Electro 4d- only to find that the keybed was way too sensitive. Luckily the Nord Stage has a setting to adjust the velocity curve of the midi that it sends which (rectified the issue). Does the PX-5s do this as well?

My Big Live Rig:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

StudioLogic SL88 Grand

The CAT by Octave

Hohner Melodica

Leslie 145

Silverface Bassman 70 -> Custom 2x10 cabinet

2 - QSC K8.2

By the way, just read the Keyboard review and thought it was very well written and BALANCED... Kudos to Richard Leiter!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

My local guitar center finally got the PX-5s setup for demo. First impressions and things I like: The keyboard itself. Good feel to the keys. The overall weight of the instrument is great. So first impression about the instrument is that it's light enough and with good enough feel to easily haul around.

Now, once I started playing around with it I found the user interface is not intuitive at all. Someone had been playing around with it and put in a bunch of presets and we couldn't figure out how to factory reset it. Once we did get it back to a single voice we couldn't figure out how we did it.

Does anyone else (who is not familiar with Casio) find the selection methods to be cryptic? Does it get easier and do all Casio's use the same methods of selecting voices/effects/system settings? Please enlighten me.

Plug in a computer via usb and install the editor/librarian. It makes it pretty darn easy to understand what is going on.

Bonus - after you poke around in the editor a bit, you should be able to make tweaks on the instrument itself without the computer plugged in.

Moe

---

The PX5, unlike other Privia models, has "Stage Settings". This feature (taking up over half of the interface on the board) has a bit of a learning curve but its actually fairly logical once you get to know it. The other Privia models are more of a no-brainer in comparison, but you don't have anywhere near the capability of effects control and other things.

Try the interface on a Nord sometime... just going from one patch to another is a nightmare!

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

I am familiar with Casios, but it took me a minute to get the Stage Setting concept, even though Mike told me when I got mine. :freak:

Just poke around with the banks on Stage Settings on the right of the display, and use the sliders and knobs on the left to change the effects and such of each.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As much as I love my Yamaha CP5 I pulled the trigger on a Casio PX5S today. I did a gig last Saturday and nearly hurt my back moving the CP5. I love the CP5 sound and keybed feel but I can't keep moving it around all the time. Fingers crossed that the PX5S is the driod I have been searching for....

@Moon Zero Two: Congrats! Make sure you join the PX-5S Facebook group - you can be the 200th member! The group's address is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

There is also a PX-5S section at http://CasioMusicForums.com where you can share tips/tricks and download new sonic goodies.

@stephenlnoe: There is a bit of a learning curve to working with the PX-5S. But...after a couple hours of playing around, it becomes second nature. I am now able to work a lot of functions without even looking at the buttons. The user groups I mentioned above are also a big help if you have any questions or need help.

As much as I love my Yamaha CP5 I pulled the trigger on a Casio PX5S today. I did a gig last Saturday and nearly hurt my back moving the CP5. I love the CP5 sound and keybed feel but I can't keep moving it around all the time. Fingers crossed that the PX5S is the driod I have been searching for....

PX-5S will indeed save money long term, less need for ibuprofen and doctor visits.

Does anyone else (who is not familiar with Casio) find the selection methods to be cryptic? Does it get easier and do all Casio's use the same methods of selecting voices/effects/system settings? Please enlighten me.

Yes it does get easier, but it's nowhere as easy as the PX-3. But it has faders & knobs that the PX-3 does not. They are very useful, eg. with a Piano/Strings combo, you only need to reach over and adjust the strings volume with the #1 fader to bring them in or out.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Yes it does get easier, but it's nowhere as easy as the PX-3. But it has faders & knobs that the PX-3 does not. They are very useful, eg. with a Piano/Strings combo, you only need to reach over and adjust the strings volume with the #1 fader to bring them in or out.

It would have been nice that when you move any of the faders the display shows exactly what is going on concerning layers, sometimes those values are plain empty. Is this something that needs to be saved for each patch?

It does show what you're adjusting, and every Stage Setting has something assigned to the sliders and knobs. When you move a controller it will show the parameter you're adjusting. If you see "No Assign" on the screen that is because each knob or slider can do two things simultaneously. Not all Stage Settings utilize 2 assignments at once.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

....Does anyone else (who is not familiar with Casio) find the selection methods to be cryptic? Does it get easier and do all Casio's use the same methods of selecting voices/effects/system settings? Please enlighten me.

I was totally new to Casio when I got my PX-5s. It was confusing at first, but once you grasp the concept of stage settings versus tones, it makes perfect sense. To elaborate, a stage setting is where you access the tones. There are 100 pre-programmed stage settings, there are 300-something tones. Pick a stage setting for the type of tone you want to play - say a piano - and then go over to the tone + or - buttons and scroll through the different piano tones till you find the one you want to use. Then save that stage setting so that you can recall that particular piano again without having to scroll through the tones.

(That's the simplified version. The complicated version is that a stage setting can have up to 4 zones all playing different tones. Pedals and knobs and sliders can be assigned to one zone while leaving another zone unaffected, plus they can be assigned to two different destinations. Each tone in a stage setting can have an effect assigned to it, plus there are some master affects that can be assigned to the zone the tone resides in. This is why, to audition sounds, you want to pick a dry piano patch that isn't layered with another tone and doesn't have some kind of radical affect assigned to its zone.)

For me, the PX-5s is much easier to get around on then the Roland RD-300gx stage piano, (which cost half again what the PX-5s costs) and the Roland has less options for setting up performance parameters and saving them for recall during a performance.

It does show what you're adjusting, and every Stage Setting has something assigned to the sliders and knobs. When you move a controller it will show the parameter you're adjusting. If you see "No Assign" on the screen that is because each knob or slider can do two things simultaneously. Not all Stage Settings utilize 2 assignments at once.

Yes, but sometimes I see a generic parameter name/value when I know the string layer is changing, or at least hearing it. I should get back home and try out and write a better report if all is needed is to fix some of the stage setting patches.

I think I know what you're talking about. Sometimes, the slider is adjusting a CC# and that's all it shows.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived