Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

I took my PX-5S to my church gig(where I play bass) yesterday to let the church pianist try it out and I wanted to hear it in this venue. That turned out to be a mistake(in a good way). The pianist fell in love with it as did the choir director. We used one of the newer Rhodes patches for a couple of praise songs and then a Piano and Strings patch I made to use with the choir. It sounded beautiful!! We have been using a Kurz PC2X that I donated to the church and there was quite a difference in sound quality.

I tried to make it clear when I brought it in that I only brought it to try it out. I don't know if they didn't understand me or if they loved it so much that they just acted like they didn't understand me, but by the time the end of the service came the PX-5S belonged to the church as far they were concerned. So I went home without my PX-5S. No biggee, I'll just sale the PC2X and buy another PX-5S.

.......or.....buy another Px5s after the church cuts you a check for the one they "bought" from you.....they ARE going to do that......aren't they?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took my PX-5S to my church gig(where I play bass) yesterday to let the church pianist try it out and I wanted to hear it in this venue. That turned out to be a mistake(in a good way). The pianist fell in love with it as did the choir director. We used one of the newer Rhodes patches for a couple of praise songs and then a Piano and Strings patch I made to use with the choir. It sounded beautiful!! We have been using a Kurz PC2X that I donated to the church and there was quite a difference in sound quality.

I tried to make it clear when I brought it in that I only brought it to try it out. I don't know if they didn't understand me or if they loved it so much that they just acted like they didn't understand me, but by the time the end of the service came the PX-5S belonged to the church as far they were concerned. So I went home without my PX-5S. No biggee, I'll just sale the PC2X and buy another PX-5S.

.......or.....buy another Px5s after the church cuts you a check for the one they "bought" from you.....they ARE going to do that......aren't they?

Just like with the PC2X, it is not unusual for me to donate music equipment to the church. It's not like they took it from me. I had a feeling when I took it in it would end up this way, so however it works out is fine.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Are you serious? If you drove up in a Bentley Turbo R and let them test drive it, would you let them keep it if they liked it enough to feel you "donated it" to them? Of course not. So why would you do that with your PX-5S? You must be either loaded with a ton of money or suffer from a serious lack of speaking up for yourself. There's nothing wrong with getting your own stuff back!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Are you serious? If you drove up in a Bentley Turbo R and let them test drive it, would you let them keep it if they liked it enough to feel you "donated it" to them? Of course not. So why would you do that with your PX-5S? You must be either loaded with a ton of money or suffer from a serious lack of speaking up for yourself. There's nothing wrong with getting your own stuff back!

Ya'll are reading way too much into this!! First of all, I belong to this church. I call it my church "gig" because my wife wanted to join this church and I gave up my $200 Sunday gig and donate my 35+ years of professional musical skills in lieu of tithes. I also occasionally donate musical equipment. I do anything I can to help the music better and my Sunday playing experience better. Donating the PX-5S was nothing that was forced upon me. I can easily walk in today and take it back if I wish. The elderly people I have to deal with immediately assumed I brought them a new keyboard, and after hearing how much better it made everything sound I just left it at that. So let's get off this topic and would prefer to concentrate on how great the PX-5S is.

Ya'll are reading way too much into this!! First of all, I belong to this church. I call it my church "gig" because my wife wanted to join this church and I gave up my $200 Sunday gig and donate my 35+ years of professional musical skills in lieu of tithes. I also occasionally donate musical equipment. I do anything I can to help the music better and my Sunday playing experience better. Donating the PX-5S was nothing that was forced upon me. I can easily walk in today and take it back if I wish. The elderly women I have to deal with immediately assumed I brought them a new keyboard. So let's get off this topic and would prefer to concentrate on how great the PX-5S is.

Sure thing man.....no need to get crusty ;-) Surely you can see how some of us look upon that as an incredible act of generosity that would be beyond the means of a LOT of us I think. If it works for you, more power to you and I personally think its an awesome gesture!

If you want to just stick with how great the PX-5S is, that's fine with me (and everyone else).... that is what this forum is all about. But you're the one that brought up how you "tried to make it clear that it was yours" yet left without it... and then got all defensive about it when people on this forum responded.

If that somehow rubbed you the wrong way, my apologies, but you also have to understand where I and others are coming from too. Many of us struggle to finance a unit like this so our kid(s) can learn how to play.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Ya'll are reading way too much into this!! First of all, I belong to this church. I call it my church "gig" because my wife wanted to join this church and I gave up my $200 Sunday gig and donate my 35+ years of professional musical skills in lieu of tithes. I also occasionally donate musical equipment. I do anything I can to help the music better and my Sunday playing experience better. Donating the PX-5S was nothing that was forced upon me. I can easily walk in today and take it back if I wish. The elderly women I have to deal with immediately assumed I brought them a new keyboard. So let's get off this topic and would prefer to concentrate on how great the PX-5S is.

Sure thing man.....no need to get crusty ;-) Surely you can see how some of us look upon that as an incredible act of generosity that would be beyond the means of a LOT of us I think. If it works for you, more power to you and I personally think its an awesome gesture!

It may seem incredibly generous, but to be honest I have very little money invested so far in the musical equipment I give my church. The PC2X for example. I bought several other keyboards used at very good prices prior, would use them at the church and at the same time have them advertised on Craigslist or eBay to be sold eventually at a profit. By the time I got the PC2X I had $0 invested. So if can sell the PC2X now and get $600-$700 for it, then I will only have about $300 invested in the PX-5S donated to the church. I'm not rolling in dough, I'm just smart with my gear. Been doing this for 35 years.

So let's get off this topic and would prefer to concentrate on how great the PX-5S is.

We left this topic at your request... no need for further explanations.

My "explanation" was not responding directly to you("We"), but since you were the one that wanted to make this poor vs rich guy thing I felt my explanation was warranted.

Now we may leave this topic.

btw, thanks Keyz2401

As a PC3K8 and PX-5S owner how do you rate the PX-5S strings and brass compared with the PC3K8?

I must admit that I was a little worried about how the Piano and Strings would sound yesterday, because when comparing the strings side by side the Kurz has the clear advantage. But in the live situation the Casio sounded great. Really great!

Until I have a chance to use the brass in a live context I will hold off on any comments.

I appreciate your feedback particularly with regard to playing live. I would appreciate any further comments after you have tried the brass in a live situation,

From a weight perspective I would really love not to have to cart around a PC3K7. If the PX-5S can even get close for strings/brass/choir I will be very pleased

Yes, you can change the name of a Stage Setting when you save (Write) it. After you press Write, move the cursor to the name and you can edit it there.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thank you, Joe. Joe or Mike - something else I'm not understanding. It's my desire to output MIDI on one channel from the upper portion of the keyboard and another channel from the lower portion. I'm thinking this must be done by manipulating zones. It's my understanding that tones are made up of zones, and Stage Settings are made up of tones. Is that correct?

Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how to access the different zones of a tone (if that's the way to accomplish what I'm trying to do).

Any help walking me through this process would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotten that far, but I can't figure out how to get to more than one zone to use more than one MIDI out channel tied to key position, thanks. That is, when I go to 'Zone edit' it seems stuck on zone one. How do I get to another zone? And then how do I set key position for each zone?

I've gotten that far, but I can't figure out how to get to more than one zone to use more than one MIDI out channel tied to key position, thanks. That is, when I go to 'Zone edit' it seems stuck on zone one. How do I get to another zone? And then how do I set key position for each zone?

After you hit EDIT ZONE, use the + and - keys to select the zone you want.

Then scroll down to KEY RANGE LOW and KEY RANGE HIGH to set the range.

FWIW, I find it much easier to hook it up to my laptop and run the Data editor. Everything is laid out so I can see all the options. This is also helping me learn the panel.

I go to edit Stage Setting, then Zone edit, and Z1 just stays at the top of the screen the +,-,<,> etc keys don't seem to get to it to change it. Maybe I'll have to try the Data Editor later when I have more time.

I think I know what's up.. use the Zone + - buttons next to the tempo button (left side of display panel) NOT the Yes/no +- buttons next to the USB slot.

That will do it. :)

For those needing a music rest for their PX-5S, I just discovered a useful, quick and dirty solution using the K&M 18880 and the Nord music rest. I was thinking about attaching brackets to the Casio to take the Nord or SV-1 rests when I discovered that the Nord rest is just long enough to be attached to the 18880 with suitable clips or other devices. At this stage it's not very aesthetically pleasing, but I'll work on that.

http://s22.postimg.org/myz6zy41p/Music_Rest_WS.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/xgoz4rtfx/Music_Rest_MS_R.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/vqynjv9b7/Music_Rest_CU_L.jpg

Speaking of music stands for the PX-5S - I just posted a little how-to article about the one I built by modifying a Manhasset table-top unit to raise it 5" off the desktop with folding legs:

http://nomadness.com/how-to/music-stand-px-5s-digital-piano

-Steve

http://nomadness.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/music-stand-in-use1-1024x768.jpg

And Vox: Nice set up! Do plan on drilling and bolting the stand down? I really like seeing these custom jobs.

Thanks, Keyz! It'll need some thought as the system needs to be really easy/quick to set up and tear down. Given that the Nord rest is only just wide enough, holes may end up too near the edges. I've just swapped the clips in the pictures for some black ones, which look a great deal better; that may be all that's needed.

Speaking of music stands for the PX-5S - I just posted a little how-to article about the one I built by modifying a Manhasset table-top unit to raise it 5" off the desktop with folding legs:

Yes, I saw that this afternoon, Steve. Nice job!

Thanks, Vox! It's working beautifully. Now two more mechanical projects for the boat studio: keyboard drawer to tuck the PX-5S under the desktop so I can get back to geekery occasionally, and a mount for the Soundseat throne.

Looking forward to seeing the ingenuity!

Well, GC made me a deal I couldn't refuse - $150 discount, Father's Day sale. Didn't mind taking the floor model, but they don't keep boxes or owners manuals (?!?!) . So, keyboard/power supply/sus.pedal - am I missing anything besides the manual(s) ? I already have PDFs of the manuals, but it would be nice to get into programming it with a book on your lap.

I have a gig tomorrow night, but I am gonna aim for Saturday to set it up for that gig - then it will be time to ease out my PX3. I'll start researching here (and Casio's sites/forums) for cases, updates, patches. If anyone could point me towards suggestions in these areas, I thank you in advance,

Thanks to Mike Martin and this forum in general for help and info in making this purchase.

Dan

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Archived