Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last Casio with a floppy drive actually had quite good EPs (using the ZPI chip). Since then they've been lamentably lame. I really do hope that the new EPs are as good as the hype. Reading between the lines, it sounds as if the amp drive effects are part of the samples - I do hope that all FX are separately controllable, as that is one of the distinguishing marks of a pro board.

I'm really looking forward to hearing this board properly, as the weight makes it a serious contender for me.

OMG!

Tell me there is a black model and a white model.

It's not just one model that is both black and white, right?

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/px-5s_xlarge.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

With Yamaha, Korg, and Roland not showing anything new in 88 key, stage pianos, this may be the star 'o the show in that category. Heard rumors of a new, stage oriented keyboard from Kurzweil (besides the SP5-8), but so far no news on that yet....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Initial reaction - very cool! Wish that black space on the upper right was an internal speaker

or a place to install an optional speaker. But no, it seems not.

Tell me there is a black model and a white model.

It's not just one model that is both black and white, right?

Seems to be just the one, which is okay with me. The recent black models, with black buttons and small legends, have been too tricky to use on a dark stage.

Let us know about the organ sounds, if XP-W1 originated, not exactly excellent but who knows...

I'd be content with the organ presets that were in the PX3. For a weighted action non organ oriented model, those presets were pretty decent (far better than those in the PX-330 or PX-350).

The last Casio with a floppy drive actually had quite good EPs (using the ZPI chip). Since then they've been lamentably lame. I really do hope that the new EPs are as good as the hype.

The ZPI Rhodes was their best Rhodes, though the one in the PX3 wasn't bad. (I hate the ones in the PX-330/PX-350.) The Wurli has fared a bit better. I do hope the EPs are at least as good as the best of what we've heard from Casio before.

Bottom line, though, either way, I expect I'll be buying this one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm guessing there were a lot of people who would have bought previous Privia's if they were just slightly better controllers. With the new MIDI control capabilities, I think these will move.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm guessing there were a lot of people who would have bought previous Privia's if they were just slightly better controllers. With the new MIDI control capabilities, I think these will move.

Fully weighted 88-key keyboard, additional synth modules, far lower price than Nord. Can't go wrong.

no one mentioned, maybe taken for granted because it is a controller, but I spy BOTH pitch and mod wheels!!!!

I do hope the organs are not ported over from the PX3 (sorry Scott) they have percussion embedded in a lot of the samples. But if it is the drawbar engine from the XP1 then, at least there is a modicum of control on voicing registrations

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

That Hex Synth engine is unique; use it all the time on a church gig. It's great in combination with the church's Clavinova (basically a P250 in a box).

So having the PX-350 piano, funky new EP's and clavs, 4-zone control, and the XW's Hex Synth sounds very cool. Will have to order one of these in for the teaching / sales studio. Already have a couple of students curious about this one.

Heck, I might even end up preferring it to the CP50 as an 88 for lighter gigs :laugh: Will be cool to hear more of this one. Awaiting more online demos....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hmm, this might be an option to replace my aged MR76, to sit beneath my NE2. So far the best candidate is Yamaha MOX8, or maybe a Krome but I haven't seen one of those yet.

Mostly I'd just use it for piano and occasionally epiano, but the soul band added a couple of tunes where I layer synth or rompler sounds with piano, and need 2 or 3 zones.

I'll have to see if any area shops will be getting one in. I'm definitely interested, though I don't really know much about the hex synth.

I do hope the organs are not ported over from the PX3 (sorry Scott) they have percussion embedded in a lot of the samples.

There are some decent non-percussion sounds there too. Of course I wouldn't mind better organ sounds, but as a "backup" organ (it is a weighted board, after all), I found the PX3 pleasantly more usable than others.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hmm, this might be an option to replace my aged MR76, to sit beneath my NE2.

Off topic... I finally sold my MR76 about a year ago. I must confess that I now have some regrets. It had some sweet sounds, even though it was ancient (circa 1996- 1997).

On topic... Maybe Casio will come out with a version of their new PX-5S with onboard speakers, similar to what Kurz recently did with their SP4-8 and Yammie did with their CP 200/300 models years ago. I really like the onboard speakers on my PX330 because, even when playing in a loud mix, I can "feel" the piano. If Casio did come out with a version of the PX-5S with lightweight onboard speakers I would buy it in a New York nanosecond.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I'm guessing a MAP price of $999

Confirmed...just got an email from one of the on-line musical instrument stores and they have the PX-5S at $999.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived