Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Casio_Privia-PRO-PX-5S_piano.jpg

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Casio_Privia-PRO-PX-5S.jpg

Press Release:

Casio Releases Stage Piano Featuring

High-Quality Sounds and More Expressivity

The Worlds First Battery-Powered Stage Piano,* with a Highly Portable

Design Weighing only 11.1 Kilograms

January 25, 2013

TOKYO, January 25, 2013 Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced today the release of the Privia® PRO PX-5S, a stage piano specially designed to give musicians more expressivity in live performances. This new model features 340 preset sounds covering a wide variety of instruments, including grand piano tones that can be played with the nuanced tonal variations and sustained reverberations of real pianos.

*According to research conducted by Casio, this is the first battery-powered piano designed for live performance and fitted with 88 keys, as of January 25, 2013.

Casio electronic musical instruments have received favorable reviews from a variety of sources, with the Privia PX-850 digital piano winning an award in the Personal Electronics category at the 2013 International CES Innovations Design and Engineering Awards held in the United States, and the XW-G1 and XW-P1 synthesizers taking the Best in Show award at the 2012 NAMM Show, also held in the U.S.

Now with the new Privia® PRO PX-5S, Casio has further evolved its highly acclaimed Multi-dimensional Morphing AiR* Sound Source featured in the PX-850 to realize a wide range of high-quality sounds. Moreover, the highly acclaimed functions and operability of the Casio XW-G1 and XW-P1 synthesizers have been combined in this new model to realize a next-generation stage piano offering performers even greater power of expression. The Privia PRO PX-5S is also the worlds first battery-powered stage piano, which, together with its slim and lightweight 11.1-kilogram design, make it a useful instrument for active musicians playing in a wide array of settings, from the stage to the street.

* Acoustic and intelligent Resonator

The Privia PRO PX-5S features polyphony of up to 256 notes and 340 preset sounds, enabling live performance of a broad range of musical genres. The wide array of preset sounds allow performers to reproduce the nuanced tonal variations and lingering reverberations of grand pianos, smoothly recreate distinct electric piano sounds from the warm tones of softly played notes to the edgy tones of firmly struck keys, and even capture a clavi tonal character when the finger leaves the key. As many as six sounds can be layered using the companys original Hex Layer function. All together, these features provide performers with countless options to achieve a high level of expressiveness on stage.

Casio has paid the utmost attention to designing the Privia PRO PX-5S with the operability expected of a stage piano. Equipped with six sliders, four knobs and two wheels, operations can be performed intuitively while playing live. Control over volume and various parameters is possible using an attached foot pedal, and the Stage Setting function enables performance setups to be independently assigned for up to four designated keyboard zones. The Privia PRO PX-5S includes popular functions featured on the XW-G1 and XW-P1 synthesizers, such as Phrase Sequencer for calling up musical phrases during performances, and Arpeggio for automatically playing arpeggios just by pressing the keys. Furthermore, the sounds and settings of external electronic musical instruments connected via the MIDI port can be controlled by the Privia PRO PX-5S, enabling it to be used as a master keyboard onstage.

The Casio Digital Signal Processor is onboard to apply effects like phaser, flanger, wah, tremolo, and rotary simulation to four tones at once in up to four designated keyboard zones. Players can also create their own sounds by independently adjusting EQ frequencies and envelope generator parameters such as attack and release, as well as the cutoff and resonance of the filters.

The Privia PRO PX-5S comes with the original Tri-sensor Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard II, which reproduces the distinct attack timing of acoustic and electric pianos. Casio has also equipped the new model with High-Resolution Velocity, which can capture the force of a keystroke spanning 16,256 gradations, and Hammer Response, which reproduces the attack of the notes on a grand piano in each register of the keyboard.

[video:youtube]

the release of the Privia® PRO PX-5S,...

Wow, that´s a very interesting CASIO product !

I like the Rhodes and acoustic piano sound which I expect to be better when listening to it w/ good active speakers or studio monitors and in opposite to the Youtube soundquality.

The price is unbelievable for the features and polyphony IMO.

Well done Casio,- I want.

A.C.

Nice demo Mike. I only heard it through computer speakers, but I'm optimistic about the EPs! Lots of cool things, really.

I assume you were using the iPad for patch selection simply because that function is incomplete in the prototype, but it does remind me of one thing that would be nice to have addressed... Are user registrations selectable via MIDI Program Change? They were sysex in the PX3. If you do want to control a whole rig from an iPad, it wold be nice to be able to select registrations that way.

I was also wondering about the 4 zones... In a sense, the PX3 was 4 zone, but it only supported a single split point. Will this let you do a more traditional 4 zones, with 3 split points for completely independent key ranges for each zone?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys. I was kind burnt out at that point in the day. ;-)

The PX-5S is still pretty early in development stage. As good as the Rhodes and Wurly sound now, they're only going to get better. Almost every patch that we're using at the show I've programmed in the last 5 days...I've had many sleepless nights lately. Jerry Kovarsky spent several hours with me the night before the show helping me tweak the EP presets. R&D is still tweaking things like the amp and speaker simulations too. :-)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Control over volume and various parameters is possible using an attached foot pedal, and the Stage Setting function enables performance setups to be independently assigned for up to four designated keyboard zones.

@Mike Martin:

What are the rear panel connections for MIDI switches like sustain and MIDI CC pedals ?

1 sustain and 1 MIDI CC pedal or more in a combination ?

All independently and/or simultaneously assignable to each of the 4 zones (internal & external) ?

Talking "volume",- what´s that over MIDI ? MIDI CC#07 or #11 ?

Or is that freely assignable ?

... effects like phaser, flanger, wah, tremolo, and rotary simulation to four tones at once in up to four designated keyboard zones.

After watching the vid a 2nd time, I recognized there´s a switch used to control the wah speed, not a MIDI CC pedal.

I´d wish to use a MIDI CC pedal to control the wah´s cutoff- frequency travel, maybe by a freely assignable MIDI CC number or MIDI CC#4.

Does that work ?

A.C.

Are user registrations selectable via MIDI Program Change?

Yes, that's how I'm using the iPad to do it. I'm the only one that has played the PX-5S before yesterday, the Set List App allows me to have all of the Perfomanced on a screen so everyone can find them.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I was also wondering about the 4 zones... In a sense, the PX3 was 4 zone, but it only supported a single split point. Will this let you do a more traditional 4 zones, with 3 split points for completely independent key ranges for each zone?

Four zones, no rules. Velocity switching, overlapping whatever you want. Technically if you use two Hex Layer programs, that is a total of 14 sounds split or layered in any way that you want. With 256 notes of polyphony and these filters and effects the potential is rather amazing.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Wow. Just like the XW series last year, it's amazing what Casio is packing at their price points. The EPs are years beyond all their previous stuff, which is really what's kept me from considering Casio as a contender.

I think these will sell like Happy Meals!

The more I learn, the more I like it. Definite contender for my purposes!

In the demo, the wurly sounds too bright & harsh. Might just need EQ. Rhodes sounds great! Can't wait to get my hands on one and check it out. I'll definitely postpone any purchase until I can.

In the demo, the wurly sounds too bright & harsh. Might just need EQ. Rhodes sounds great! Can't wait to get my hands on one and check it out. I'll definitely postpone any purchase until I can.

:-)

A week ago, the Rhodes and Wurlies weren't even in the machine. ;-)

There is a nice EQ and the amp speaker section has a low / high tone control. This is literally our first pass on these presets that were made Tues and Wednesday nights. Last night is the first time I've slept more than 2 hours in the last 5 days because we've been working on sounds and software.

-Mike Martin

Casio

That Rhodes had some serious bark! Also, Clavs with multiple pickup combinations definitely caught my attention also! Combined with the "4 Zones, no rules" controller capabilities and hex layer sonic pallete, I'm holding off on any 88 key purchase until I can seriously audition this one as well! Is there a close-up available of the front and rear panels yet?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I will try to get some front panel pics taken today. Keep in mind what we have here is a prototype and some text on the panel may be different in the final version.

-Mike Martin

Casio

It is great that Casio has figured out how to create a good sounding and good playing digital keyboard--one that feels close to a piano--and yet doesn't weigh in at 45 lbs and comes in at an affordable price. Must be nice to work with sharp engineers who actually listen to musicians!

I am really enthused about the PX-5s - even more than when I first got a PX-310 in early 2006.

Since you're so involved in the EP programming, Mike, I would like to request that at least one Wurlitzer patch is as close to a standard Wurli as possible. The tone and dynamics of that instrument make it such an expressive electric piano.

The Rhodes seem to be coming along nicely. Will we get a choice of MkI, II and V?

Any chance that the final product could have a slightly more muted color scheme? I like the fact that the front panel makes for an easy to read legend, but from the back it looks very stark at the moment. Not a deal-breaker for me, though.

Archived