Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

I just did an impromptu creation using the PX5 for lead piano (and other lead parts), and the Kronos for backing. Super relaxing... PX5 sounds sweet:

Chuck, I still haven't got to try the PX-5S. How would you compare the Piano sound on the PX-5S with the Kronos?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a straight-forward question with a straight-forward answer. You can make a piano (or any other preset) your own on a PX5. You can do the same on the Kronos. You have hundreds of different piano presets on the Kronos, all highly configurable. The Kronos' Steinway (German Grand) is one of the best. If you really want an answer to that question (since its highly subjective), try them both at your local retailer.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I also own both and Chuck is correct in that both are highly configurable and you need to try both. But if you want just a general across the board answer, both are very good and Kronos is the better of the two. I do prefer the keybed of the PX-5S over the Kronos 88 I owned, so I bought a 61 and am using the PX-5S as a controller for the Kronos.
Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Thanks, sorry I should have made it clear that I am familiar with the Kronos, just not the PX-5S - still waiting for it to arrive in the UK.

I still would have given you the exact same answer!

As for the others who've also mentioned that they have a Kronos - and now a PX5 (or have ordered one) - that's a very positive statement for Casio (seeing as how the Kronos is 4x the price)! Of the boards I have, I like the action on the Kronos the best, PX-5S (same as PX-350 action) next, Nord last.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Hi Mike,

I would like to thank you for your tireless work in answering questions for us, and not just on here, I have also seen your posts on the Nord Forum, and various YouTube clips. I dont know how much Casio pay you, but I hope youre in line for a pay rise, or at the very least, a large bonus. Or maybe youre one of those sickening people who only need three or four hours sleep a night!

So, to the PX-5S. Im very, very tempted, really I am. The Hex layers, the polyphony, the way you can dial in the exact amount of distortion, on the fly. However, on the other side of the coin, I would have liked a larger screen, maybe similar to the Korg Chrome, and I genuinely believe that Casio missed a trick in not giving us provision for an expression pedal. Also, the procedure for setting the parameters seems fairly complex although I accept that this will get easier as you get used to it.

Now, the fly in the ointment. Casio need to sort out their pricing policy. Assuming the keyboards are made in Japan or China, I cant see U.S. import duties and taxes being any less punitive than those in the U.K. However, the U.S. price (Kraft, Sweetwater, Amazon) is $999, this equates to around £650. The U.K. price (via Thomann) is £900. This is a nearly a 40% mark up. I feel that the potential U.K. purchaser (i.e. me) is being ripped off to the tune of £250. And this may just turn out to be a deal breaker.

Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf, I, for one really appreciate it.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Now, the fly in the ointment. Casio need to sort out their pricing policy. Assuming the keyboards are made in Japan or China, I cant see U.S. import duties and taxes being any less punitive than those in the U.K. However, the U.S. price (Kraft, Sweetwater, Amazon) is $999, this equates to around £650. The U.K. price (via Thomann) is £900. This is a nearly a 40% mark up. I feel that the potential U.K. purchaser (i.e. me) is being ripped off to the tune of £250. And this may just turn out to be a deal breaker.

I am certainly not defending the pricing, however USA prices often do not include sales tax (something akin to VAT). So in order for approximate parity the price of the PX-5S should be in the region of £780 (inclusive of VAT). Can't really blame Casio for UK VAT :). I am hoping that when the PX-5S finally arrives in the UK it will be possible to purchase it for around this figure.

Six-string-man,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate the kind words. I feel very privileged to have been so involved with the development of the PX-5S and it has been a blast to work with the growing community of users online. No I don't sleep enough and a bonus would be kinda cool. ;)

In regards to pricing, as you know I work for Casio America. I really can't speak for pricing in other parts of the world. Taking a quick look at pricing of the PX-5S and other Casio products on their website, the price of the PX-5S seems to be priced appropriately in comparison to all other Casio products listed. So their must be a reason which effects the prices of the entire line. I don't know enough about their business but the reason may not be as straightforward as any of us think. I'll pass your concerns along colleagues in Japan.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mine just arrived from Sweetwater a few moments ago! Can't wait to get it home :thu:

:thu:

It's been said before but the best place to start is here:

http://priviapro.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/stage-settings-on-the-px-5s/

It seems that units with the version 1.10 update are making their way to stores. It's a good idea to check yours. Press System Settings, then scroll down and choose "Information". If you're at version 1.00 then you should update.

Last but not least, join the online communities. The Casio Music Forums link is in my signature. Here there is a downloads section where you can find some new sounds. Also the Facebook Users Group is very active. Hope to see you there.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Also the Facebook Users Group is very active. Hope to see you there.
Tuck is already a member. I approved him the other day. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi Mike,

I don't have a definitive answer for this, but this also holds true with other instruments. Korg's instruments for example, are much, much higher priced in Europe and Australia than in the U.S. Korg is also a Japanese company. I'm sure there's an answer or reason for the price differences and if someone knows, I would love to know too!

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

Six-string-man,

In regards to pricing, as you know I work for Casio America. I really can't speak for pricing in other parts of the world. Taking a quick look at pricing of the PX-5S and other Casio products on their website, the price of the PX-5S seems to be priced appropriately in comparison to all other Casio products listed. So their must be a reason which effects the prices of the entire line. I don't know enough about their business but the reason may not be as straightforward as any of us think. I'll pass your concerns along colleagues in Japan.

Thanks Mike, I would appreciate that. However, as a cynic, I can see the top brass in Tokyo sniggering over the suggestion that they should cut back on their profit margin. An explanation would be nice though.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I'm sure there's an answer or reason for the price differences and if someone knows, I would love to know too!

The reason was explained once in a forum awhile back. These areas are controlled by distributers who have a lot to do with setting the prices. It's different than here in the States where large retailers can buy directly from the manufacturers.

That was the explanation in that thread anyway.

It used to be like that here in the States too until things were deregulated in the 1970s. Those of us who were around back then remember it well. Prices were awful. $1000 for a Fender Dual Showman anyone? How about $1000 for a Vox Continental that cost 100 pounds in England? (This was back when $1000 was really a lot of money.)

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf, I, for one really appreciate it.

Six String Man you are absolutely right the pricing for the PX5S is bumped by around £100 over what it should be for tax, and the other Casio products on the Thomann website are NOT appropriately priced by comparison. If you need reference do the math on the px350 and the xwp1, I did it a month back I can't be bothered to do it again.

I do think and indeed HOPE this damages the sales of the PX5S in Europe, and as Mike has nothing to do with the pricing policies over here this is clearly not an attack on him he does great work....Its a great shame

Conversely, you can pick up a Kawai ES7 in the UK for around GBP 1,130 (including 20% VAT), which equates to around $1,750. The US price (without tax) is 1,999. The actual US premium is therefore close to $450 - go figure.

Granted, but that doesn't help those who actually want a PX5S its just the feeling of being ripped off that's stopping them pulling the trigger, however it does make me think those Kawai guys care about getting customers in Europe, and genuinely make me consider the ES7 or MP6 over the Casio PX5S even though my gut tells me the PX5S would suit me better...(Continues to procrastinate)

Petrol is also cheaper in the US than the UK but we don't have any other viable options, so we are kinda screwed there....However there ARE other viable options to the PX5S

Conversely, you can pick up a Kawai ES7 in the UK for around GBP 1,130 (including 20% VAT), which equates to around $1,750. The US price (without tax) is 1,999. The actual US premium is therefore close to $450 - go figure.

Granted, but that doesn't help those who actually want a PX5S its just the feeling of being ripped off that's stopping them pulling the trigger, however it does make me think those Kawai guys care about getting customers in Europe, and genuinely make me consider the ES7 or MP6 over the Casio PX5S even though my gut tells me the PX5S would suit me better...(Continues to procrastinate)

Petrol is also cheaper in the US than the UK but we don't have any other viable options, so we are kinda screwed there....However there ARE other viable options to the PX5S

Well, that's the market. I decided not to buy an ES7 here partly because of the price, which seems inflated. You might do the same thing in respect of the PX-5S. The manufacturers obviously believe that the markets can stand the prices they've set, but they will change that if people vote with their wallets. You're not being ripped off if you have a choice.

Vox I agree with you as we both pay similar prices for the Kawai mp6 ours is the same as yours + 20% (or there abouts). So the ES7 has been overpriced for you and the px5s has been overpriced for us.

As a point of reference last time I looked I believe we only pay 14% more for the px350

The inconsistency in pricing annoys me Kawai deserve to do poorly in the US on this model and I hope the px5s is a flop in Europe.

Take note Manufacturers, I am not the only one noticing these pricing issues perhaps a coo is starting

You are so right kilf, if the PX-5S was £650 + VAT, I'd buy one like a shot. I could just about stretch to £900, but it's the principle, I hate being ripped off.

I'm in Colorado for the first half of September, if I thought I could sneak it back through customs, I'd pick one up over there! Not sure about the warranty though.

Petrol is dearer here, but by less than you would think, as the U.S. gallon is significantly smaller thn ours.

I think one could argue that you can't find a keyboard comparable to the PX5s for less then $1500. In fact, that $1500 keyboard is going to be missing features that come with the PX5s. Can anyone name a under $2k, under 30 pound weighted 88 keyboard that can do everything the PX-5s does? 4 transposable zones? Zone-specific assignable sliders and pedals with the capability of two separate destinations for each slider or knob or pedal? 4 DSP engines? 100 stage settings accessible via ten patch buttons and a bank button? Seriously, if anyone wants to post a comparison chart with other keyboards, it might help to make the value of the PX-5s more apparent. Looking at it this way, the price is reasonable, regardless of where in the world it's being sold. (One would have to factor in an extra $120 for the Midi Solutions expression pedal workaround, and one would have to accept the limitations of that workaround. Hopefully, the PX-6 will include an expression pedal input.)

I'm seriously looking for a 73/76 key version also. Whoever builds the nicest one under $1200 with integrated controller features between Casio, Yamaha or Kawaii will get my hard-earned dollars.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I think one could argue that you can't find a keyboard comparable to the PX5s for less then $1500. In fact, that $1500 keyboard is going to be missing features that come with the PX5s. Can anyone name a under $2k, under 30 pound weighted 88 keyboard that can do everything the PX-5s does? 4 transposable zones? Zone-specific assignable sliders and pedals with the capability of two separate destinations for each slider or knob or pedal? 4 DSP engines? 100 stage settings accessible via ten patch buttons and a bank button? Seriously, if anyone wants to post a comparison chart with other keyboards, it might help to make the value of the PX-5s more apparent. Looking at it this way, the price is reasonable, regardless of where in the world it's being sold. (One would have to factor in an extra $120 for the Midi Solutions expression pedal workaround, and one would have to accept the limitations of that workaround. Hopefully, the PX-6 will include an expression pedal input.)

Easy to say when you get the best price in the US.....

Easy to say when you get the best price in the US.....

I agree with everything you say uncledunc, that's why I want one. However, I agree more with kilf......

The fact is not so much that they're overpriced in the U.K., it's more the disparity in prices compared to the U.S.

I am certainly not defending the pricing, however USA prices often do not include sales tax (something akin to VAT). So in order for approximate parity the price of the PX-5S should be in the region of £780 (inclusive of VAT). Can't really blame Casio for UK VAT :). I am hoping that when the PX-5S finally arrives in the UK it will be possible to purchase it for around this figure.

For my own interest, I have just checked out the Kraft web site. The price of $999 INCLUDES TAX. You also get a bunch of freebies with it, headphones, sustain pedals, flash drive & cables.

This means that in the U.K. we are paying £250 ($390) too much. This is even worse than I thought!

..and hopefully the PX-6 will have half-pedaling and 73 key version.

Casio might be looking at what happens with the Roland RD-64 and how well it sells. If enough demand exists, I think Casio will build one.

I'm seriously looking for a 73/76 key version also. Whoever builds the nicest one under $1200 with integrated controller features between Casio, Yamaha or Kawaii will get my hard-earned dollars.

I've been moving my PX-5s around constantly all summer. When an 88 is this small and easy to carry, there's no need to compromise with a reduced keybed anymore. This thing fits anywhere.

Every time I'm stuck playing piano on a 73 or 76, my left pinkie hurts like hell the next morning from constantly trying to hit keys that simply aren't there. I want those low E's, D's and C's, and I would imagine that there would be times when you guys would appreciate the fact that they are there too.

Archived