Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

It can fit in the back of a Acura RSX or Integra with the rear seat folded down, if that helps.
In Casio's gig bag it fits in my back seat (Saab 9-3). Hard case, I definitely not. I put my seats down and put it through the truck.
It's tight, but it fits across the back seat of my Hyundai Elantra. However it's so light that it's very easy to angle it in the front passenger area with one end on the floor, and the keyboard in front of the seat. That's how I usually move it. I can even strap it in :cool:

I feel some GAS coming on... Thanks for the comments.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's tight, but it fits across the back seat of my Hyundai Elantra. However it's so light that it's very easy to angle it in the front passenger area with one end on the floor, and the keyboard in front of the seat. That's how I usually move it. I can even strap it in :cool:

That's how I move it too - front seat/floor.

Moe

---

Question on USB drives. The PX5 manual says not to use a drive that has a security function. I have 4GB SanDisk USB drive from Radio Shack that can use "Secure Access Software". If this is a new unused drive,can it be used with the PX5s? I haven't done anything to engage the security software.

I think SanDisk preloads some software on all of their new USB drives. I would delete everything on the stick first then either format it in Windows using FAT32 or use the on-board quick format function of the PX-5s.

San Disk has software available to remove their preload. The preload makes the stick appear to be a CD unwritable drive AND a normal drive. Many special applications like keyboard USB storage won't work with the special software.

Just formatting the drive in Windows or Mac will not remove the special stuff. The Cruzer series of drive has the software, and the newer Secure Access has a variant of the software.

This link tells how to remove Secure Access - it may be necessary to also download the "Secure Access Manager" software that has a link on the page:

How to remove Secure Access

This link tells how to remove the older SanDisk "U3" software:

How to remove SanDisk U3

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the info,jcazzy and MoodyBluesKeys. It wasn't until I'd already bought the SanDisk units that I found out they can be a bit of a pain. At least one hasn't been opened and can be returned. Anyone have any suggestions for other brands that don't come preloaded with stuff I don't need?

Thanks for the info,jcazzy and MoodyBluesKeys. It wasn't until I'd already bought the SanDisk units that I found out they can be a bit of a pain. At least one hasn't been opened and can be returned. Anyone have any suggestions for other brands that don't come preloaded with stuff I don't need?

Pretty much anything not labeled "secure" will work out-of-the-box... just need to make a MUSICDAT folder on it. You really don't need anything over 2 gigs so it won't cost much. I collect fun flashdrives... I have a snowboard, one that goes in a Swiss Army Knife, and my new personal favorite:

:cool:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/ejezcn.jpg

Pretty much anything not labeled "secure" will work out-of-the-box... just need to make a MUSICDAY folder on it. You really don't need anything over 2 gigs so it won't cost much. I collect fun flashdrives... I have a snowboard, one that goes in a Swiss Army Knife, and my new personal favorite:

:cool:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/ejezcn.jpg

Is that a real flash drive? I want one!!!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I would Gain synth sounds, a useable computer editor interface. A thumb drive for playback and shed half the weight.
Actually you get much more.

Does anyone know How do the string patches hold up against the kurzweil?

Well, I think Kurzweil strings are very good (I had a SP4) but PX5S has some and you can work on those to twick.
Do you think I would miss anything?
Definitely no.

I've been enjoying the PX5S for several weeks now but have yet to install the firmware update. One poster on the Casio Music Forums wrote of bugs in the update,most notable being that DSP EQ settings sometimes don't change when entering a new stage setting consisting of tones. However,that thread seemed to die ten or so days ago,so I don't know if this is an anomaly with his particular piano or should be of concern to all.

My question is,bottom line,since the update is irreversable,should I go for it or not? Any thoughts?

That was me, and the reason the thread died is because I haven't taken the time to figure out how to send Mike the file he requested. It's not Mike's fault. I've been too busy chasing money lately and my PX-5s is used in an all volunteer Praise band.

But I've got to get on it because it is a real issue for me. And I believe it's still a bug. I've tried everything and the only way to get DSP EQ to reliably work in Zone 3 is to go into edit and change an EQ Frequency or Gain number. Then it snaps to attention. If you're just playing the presets it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Wow,many thanks for the response,Bill. I'll bet if Mike had the file he requested he'd be able to get to the bottom of your problem. As you undoubtedly know, he's very sharp and dedicated. Casio's not so secret weapon. Good luck with the issue.

Overall, I think the firmware update is worth installing. Only if you know you're going to run into any existing bugs would I hold off. I'm guessing most people aren't. It probably depends on how you use it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Depends on the car, but my answer is YES. I have a 2007 Honda CRV. I bought a light, inexpensive RoadRunner case for the 88 key Privia 5-S. It fits on the floor of my back seat (and I believe it would certainly fit on the seat itself). I didn't buy a bigger, better case because it would have had to be at an angle on the back seat floor.

I do wish I could get a better piano sound out of the Privia and am hoping to find the killer setting here somewhere. I've been experimenting with the EQ (I love how easy that is to do) but still find the grand piano sounds to be "flat" and/or "hollow". :-(

I do wish I could get a better piano sound out of the Privia and am hoping to find the killer setting here somewhere. I've been experimenting with the EQ (I love how easy that is to do) but still find the grand piano sounds to be "flat" and/or "hollow". :-(

Try increasing the Reverb!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Try increasing the Reverb!

Have you tried the other piano stage settings available on www.casiomusicforums.com ?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've perused this thread looking for information about looping phrases and samples, and this is honestly the last thing keeping me from getting this board. Can I load a WAV sample to the USB drive and assign it to a keypress? The manual hints that I can (drum sounds with a ZDR extension), but it isn't entirely clear. If so, how immediate is the playback? When you save a MIDI phrase, can you do the same thing and assign it to a key? I'm pretty sure from what I've read the answer to this is "yes". When the MIDI phrase is looped, how immediate does the beginning of the loop start? In other words, if it's a 4-bar phrase, will the count of 1 start exactly where you expect it on the repeat?

When the keyboard is split, can you adjust the octave shift so that you're not stuck with the register dictated by the keyboard, i.e. could you play middle-C with two different locations on the board in two different voices? I currently use a MIDI event processor to get around this limitation with my Privia PX-320. Again, it looks like the answer to this is "yes", but I'm not 100% clear.

For context, I'm seriously thinking this thing can replace most of my gear. I'm drooling at the possibility of having one 25-lb piece of equipment and no rat's nest of wires to peripherals. I have a Roland SPD-S sample pad that is used primarily as a drum machine with looping percussion tracks (our band doesn't always have a consistent drummer), although I occasionally use it to play sounds that I have sampled. I currently use my event processor to control the MIDI out channel to run the SPD-S from the keyboard, and I'm thinking there's enough flexibility in the PX-5S that I could do away with both of these items.

On top of that, I could potentially run a mix from the keyboard using the two PX-5S audio inputs eliminating the need for my little mixer (assuming that the PX-5S has control over the input levels, which I don't think it does.) It'd be really cool if the onboard FX could be applied to the aux ins, but the signal chain diagram indicates all the FX except the master EQ and compressor occur mostly before that stage. This one isn't a showstopper for me, though.

I just wanted to make sure this thing does what I want before I put all my eggs in that basket. From what I've seen, it does that and more! I have a birthday coming up, and I have a feeling I know what I'll be giving myself!

I don't have time for a detailed reply but here is the quick answer:

You can't assign wave files to a key. They can be triggered from a pedal, or other controller like a knob or slider.

MIDI phrases can be assigned to a key or range of keys. Each of the four zones can trigger their own. They can transpose across the range of keys or be fixed in the original key. Phrases will loop smoothly regardless of total length.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I don't have time for a detailed reply but here is the quick answer:

You can't assign wave files to a key. They can be triggered from a pedal, or other controller like a knob or slider.

MIDI phrases can be assigned to a key or range of keys. Each of the four zones can trigger their own. They can transpose across the range of keys or be fixed in the original key. Phrases will loop smoothly regardless of total length.

Thanks, Mike! I understand you're time-crunched. Thanks for the quick reply! You just sold another one!

...On top of that, I could potentially run a mix from the keyboard using the two PX-5S audio inputs eliminating the need for my little mixer (assuming that the PX-5S has control over the input levels, which I don't think it does.) ...

There is an input level control, I believe it's somewhere in the System menu. I don't know if you could assign a slider to it, which would be really cool. I tried running the iPad headphone out into the PX-5s line inputs (both the 1/4" pair and the stereo mini-jack) but the level wasn't hot enough. Others say a laptop headphone output is fine going into the line-ins, so I'm assuming the iPad has a rather weak output.

...On top of that, I could potentially run a mix from the keyboard using the two PX-5S audio inputs eliminating the need for my little mixer (assuming that the PX-5S has control over the input levels, which I don't think it does.) ...

There is an input level control, I believe it's somewhere in the System menu. I don't know if you could assign a slider to it, which would be really cool. I tried running the iPad headphone out into the PX-5s line inputs (both the 1/4" pair and the stereo mini-jack) but the level wasn't hot enough. Others say a laptop headphone output is fine going into the line-ins, so I'm assuming the iPad has a rather weak output.

That would be so cool! My itching desire to have one of these is turning into a burning one!

I've used my iPhone for a drum machine by going into the stereo mini of the 5S and the levels were fine... but that's an iPhone not an iPod.

I know a lot of iPods have a "safety" volume level adjustment somewhere in the menu so kids don't blow their ears out - maybe want to check that to make sure it's maxed out. :)

I could be wrong, but I think iPhones, iPads*, and iPods should all work the same as far as volume. I've had all three and used them interchangeably from the headphone jack. Same headphones, even.

*uncledunc said he had an iPad, not an iPod.

I could be wrong, but I think iPhones, iPads*, and iPods should all work the same as far as volume. I've had all three and used them interchangeably from the headphone jack. Same headphones, even.

It may have been the app I was using, which was the Galileo organ. I found I had to really dial back the app's master volume to avoid that crappy distortion sound. I know I had the iPad volume up all the way, and the PX5's input level was also maxxed. I never even thought to try playing an MP3 into the PX5s to check for level compatiblilty.

It was nice of Casio to put both a mini-jack input and a pair of 1/4" inputs for line-in. (I tried them both with the iPad - no change.) I wonder if they would both work together, allowing the user to buss in an iPad plus another synth?

It may have been the app I was using, which was the Galileo organ. I found I had to really dial back the app's master volume to avoid that crappy distortion sound. I know I had the iPad volume up all the way, and the PX5's input level was also maxxed. I never even thought to try playing an MP3 into the PX5s to check for level compatiblilty.

It was nice of Casio to put both a mini-jack input and a pair of 1/4" inputs for line-in. (I tried them both with the iPad - no change.) I wonder if they would both work together, allowing the user to buss in an iPad plus another synth?

Ahhh... good catch, Joe. Need to get me peepers checked.

UD: Is the sound from the iPad is too low when mixed with PX-5S internals or is it just too low period?

I'd recommend trying a different app, or simply playing some music with the Music player. If those work it was just that one app.

Looking again through the manual (I haven't even bought the board yet!) I see some cryptic hints at some tantalizing capabilities:

"When loading a tone [from USB drive] ... select the type of file being loaded: ... Melody tone data (ZTN), ... Drum sound data (ZDR), ... hex layer tone data (ZLT)"

Does this mean that there is a possibility (or future capability) of adding your own patches or drums to the sound banks? Or am I reading too much into it? I'm already sold on it, but this would just be too good to be true!

Casio has put a great deal of thought in this one. I'm starting to wonder if MIDI NPRN controller #58H dispenses beer from some hidden side port!

Looking again through the manual (I haven't even bought the board yet!) I see some cryptic hints at some tantalizing capabilities:

"When loading a tone [from USB drive] ... select the type of file being loaded: ... Melody tone data (ZTN), ... Drum sound data (ZDR), ... hex layer tone data (ZLT)"

Does this mean that there is a possibility (or future capability) of adding your own patches or drums to the sound banks? Or am I reading too much into it? I'm already sold on it, but this would just be too good to be true!

Casio has put a great deal of thought in this one. I'm starting to wonder if MIDI NPRN controller #58H dispenses beer from some hidden side port!

You can heavily edit an existing tone to the point of making it a completely new sound. The ZTN, ZDR, ZLT files tell the PX-5S what to do to the exisiting sounds in ROM, but a user can not load samples to the PX-5S.

You can, however, load WAV files on a USB drive from a DAW and use drum loops as backing tracks. That's an easy trick. :)

You can heavily edit an existing tone to the point of making it a completely new sound. The ZTN, ZDR, ZLT files tell the PX-5S what to do to the exisiting sounds in ROM, but a user can not load samples to the PX-5S.

You can, however, load WAV files on a USB drive from a DAW and use drum loops as backing tracks. That's an easy trick. :)

Got it. Hope I didn't start any rumors! It still looks like there's a lot of flexibility built into it. Thanks for setting me straight!

The trigger has been pulled... it's due to arrive Tues 6th! :)

It will be the slowest 4 days of your life waiting for it to arrive... best words you will ever read: OUT FOR DELIVERY!

:)

http://www.empowernetwork.com/nickt/files/2013/01/baby-thumbs-up.jpg

Archived